• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arle Nadja, Puyo Popper Extraordinaire pops into Smash Bros.! (New Management!)

Which Puyo protagonist would you prefer for Smash?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

Yesterday I had a dream that Arle got revealed. In her trailer there was like Kirby just playing Puyo Puyo (kinda like in Kirby’s Avalanche), and then somehow he falls into the game and gets popped by like Red Puyos that got thrown in.

Boom Arle. It wasn’t very extravagant but dream me was screaming lol
Well, that would be crazy.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Yesterday I had a dream that Arle got revealed. In her trailer there was like Kirby just playing Puyo Puyo (kinda like in Kirby’s Avalanche), and then somehow he falls into the game and gets popped by like Red Puyos that got thrown in.

Ngl, with a little polish here and there, this could work as a really good reveal trailer. Bonus points if Sonic was involved somehow.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman

I rather imagined a trailer where Dr Mario and Arle competed, you know because Dr Mario is originally from a puzzle game

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I rather imagined a trailer where Dr Mario and Arle competed, you know because Dr Mario is originally from a puzzle game
I know jump man is technically mario or like his dad or something, has nintendo made comments somewhere about mario starting there? They might just wanna skip that :p

D

Deleted member

I imagined that when Arle was revealed; Kirby and Dr. Mario fought Sonic, Joker, and Bayonetta, and the two Nintendo Characters are able to defeat the SEGA trio, and Kirby and Dr. Mario began fighting each other, that is until Arle shows up and tackles the two. I also imgained that Arle gets an Echo Fighter being Amitie, and at the end of the trailer, while Arle and Amitie celebrate with Sonic, Bayonetta, and Joker, a silhouette of a certain Puzzle fairy shows up and flies towards Arle and Amitie, hinting that this character is next. So it's a win (Arle) for us with Extra toppings (Echo fighter Amitie) and a major cliffhanger that will potentially break expectations and bring extreme hype.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
So apart from liking the games and being a fan of what Arle could bring to Smash, what kind of chances do we think she / Puyo Puyo has for Smash? Trying to think of if Sega were to get another rep, who it would be instead of Arle? I'm not thinking that any Sega fighting game character would get in unless I'm missing a super popular one (Axel I guess is well known, but with Terry and shotos, I don't know...), I don't think Yakuza would get in just because it feels out of place, and I'm not really seeing any Sonic character added as DLC.

That leaves Arle, the monkeys from Super Monkey Ball, Billy Hatcher, Alex Kidd, and NiGHTS? Maybe? I'd like any of them, but I feel like Puyo Puyo is still an active series with a lot of fans in a genre that doesn't get that many recurring games.

I'm sure you guys have talked about this a ton in the past, just with announcements probably coming sometime soon, I'm excited to see who we might be getting and I'm really hoping it could be Arle. :cheep:

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
So apart from liking the games and being a fan of what Arle could bring to Smash, what kind of chances do we think she / Puyo Puyo has for Smash? Trying to think of if Sega were to get another rep, who it would be instead of Arle? I'm not thinking that any Sega fighting game character would get in unless I'm missing a super popular one (Axel I guess is well known, but with Terry and shotos, I don't know...), I don't think Yakuza would get in just because it feels out of place, and I'm not really seeing any Sonic character added as DLC.

That leaves Arle, the monkeys from Super Monkey Ball, Billy Hatcher, Alex Kidd, and NiGHTS? Maybe? I'd like any of them, but I feel like Puyo Puyo is still an active series with a lot of fans in a genre that doesn't get that many recurring games.

I'm sure you guys have talked about this a ton in the past, just with announcements probably coming sometime soon, I'm excited to see who we might be getting and I'm really hoping it could be Arle. :cheep:
I honestly don't think it is very likely that we would be getting any SEGA character that isn't from Yakuza, Sonic, or Puyo Puyo. Those three series are SEGA's top franchises (especially Sonic, the gap between it and Puyo Puyo is actually enormous), and SEGA has been pushing them kinda hard lately. If the ballot is still being taken into account then I doubt Yakuza would be very likely either, so if I were to guess, assuming we get a SEGA character, it would probably be either Tails, Eggman, or Arle. Depending on how this pass goes, I'm not sure how likely getting a SEGA character altogether would be. Especially if they plan on leaning towards first-party characters as they have with Min Min. I don't personally believe that that is going to be the case but it might. In conclusion, I have no clue but I hope and I genuinely think Arle's chances are decent.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I honestly don't think it is very likely that we would be getting any SEGA character that isn't from Yakuza, Sonic, or Puyo Puyo. Those three series are SEGA's top franchises (especially Sonic, the gap between it and Puyo Puyo is actually enormous), and SEGA has been pushing them kinda hard lately. If the ballot is still being taken into account then I doubt Yakuza would be very likely either, so if I were to guess, assuming we get a SEGA character, it would probably be either Tails, Eggman, or Arle. Depending on how this pass goes, I'm not sure how likely getting a SEGA character altogether would be. Especially if they plan on leaning towards first-party characters as they have with Min Min. I don't personally believe that that is going to be the case but it might. In conclusion, I have no clue but I hope and I genuinely think Arle's chances are decent.
Puyo puyo tetris sold over 1 million just on the switch, and that was just something i saw from 2018. Doesn't seem too bad ;p

edit: maybe that's not whta you meant by the gap.. kinda read your post fast.

Last edited:

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Puyo puyo tetris sold over 1 million just on the switch, and that was just something i saw from 2018. Doesn't seem too bad ;p

edit: maybe that's not whta you meant by the gap.. kinda read your post fast.
Sonic has 360 million overall sales while Puyo Puyo has approximately 27 million. Which is an enormous gap considering Puyo is SEGA's second best-selling franchise.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Sonic has 360 million overall sales while Puyo Puyo has approximately 27 million. Which is an enormous gap considering Puyo is SEGA's second best-selling franchise.
lol sure. Overall a big gap. But 27 million is nothing to sneeze at especially if it's getting more popular. Persona wasn't really that poplar before 5, and joker still made it in. But fair enough, thanks for clarifying ;)

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
lol sure. Overall a big gap. But 27 million is nothing to sneeze at especially if it's getting more popular. Persona wasn't really that poplar before 5, and joker still made it in. But fair enough, thanks for clarifying ;)
Yeah 27 million is far bigger than I initially expected when I first searched it up. It's an impressive amount for sure.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Sweet! I figured Sonic was the most popular by far, but that’s good to hear Puyo Puyo is second. I haven’t played any of the Switch releases. I really love Tetris too so maybe I’ll give both a shot!

Calane

Smash Ace
Yeah 27 million is far bigger than I initially expected when I first searched it up. It's an impressive amount for sure.
And that number's only after Sega acquired the rights to the series, so the number might be a fair bit higher if we could count the old Compile era alongside the current Sega one.

Apparently, they've owned it since 1998, so that leaves about 7 years of sales unaccounted for.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Sweet! I figured Sonic was the most popular by far, but that’s good to hear Puyo Puyo is second. I haven’t played any of the Switch releases. I really love Tetris too so maybe I’ll give both a shot!
It's pretty insane considering just how many relatively big series SEGA has under its umbrella.

And that number's only after Sega acquired the rights to the series, so the number might be a fair bit higher if we could count the old Compile era alongside the current Sega one.

Apparently, they've owned it since 1998, so that leaves about 7 years of sales unaccounted for.
Not to mention that number was released at around 2018 if I remember correctly, so any sales that were made in the past 2 years are also unaccounted for. Which means that that number probably doesn't even include PPC

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Am I the only person who genuinely believes the newer games are better in terms of artstyle, music and character design?
I love the aesthetics of Puyu Puyo Tetris and Puyo Puyo Champions personally. They're definitely brighter and cuter and more anime-esque though, so I can understand if that's a direction that some of the original fans pre-Puyo aren't a fan of.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I know it might seem odd since just in this page there's something similar, but today I also had a dream Arle was announced-- it was odd though, it's like they just mentioned it in a presentation "Oh yeah, the next character is Arle!", I remember trying to check here to see reactions, haha. It was pretty funny. I'm mentioning it because I did a double take coming here today as in "oh right it didn't actually happen"

By the by, I also like the modern Puyo art. I think it goes well with what the series does atm. The old one isn't bad by any means but still.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I guess I'm in the minority that preferred Compile's take on using different artstyle every now and then. I'm not opposed to SEGA's style though.

D

Deleted member

I've seen it too. Looks decent. But i wonder if Nintendo can do it better if Arle is revealed. Heck, what if we get not just Arle, but also Amitie, how would Amitie's Smash render look like?

D

Deleted member

Not bad, but still not convinced. Arle joining Smash to fight is the big jackpot after all. And besides, i also wish that Arle's inclusion opens the gate for Lip too so that Mario and Sonic can see history repeat itself through their puzzle counterparts.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
D

Deleted member

Great. Another opportunity for Arle to join Smash, but i'm sorry to say i'm not impressed. The game will be awesome like it usually is, but i wish Panel de Pon was in Tetris' place. Besides, i want to see Arle clash against Lip in one way or another. Also, can't we have a Puyo character that is so vain and boastful that their personality threatens Arle, Amitie, and Ringo to come out of their comfort zone.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Some more screenshots from the game.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Amazing news. The fact PPT2 is coming out right in the middle of the Smash DLC release period certainly gives good hope.
Great. Another opportunity for Arle to join Smash, but i'm sorry to say i'm not impressed. The game will be awesome like it usually is, but i wish Panel de Pon was in Tetris' place. Besides, i want to see Arle clash against Lip in one way or another. Also, can't we have a Puyo character that is so vain and boastful that their personality threatens Arle, Amitie, and Ringo to come out of their comfort zone.
Woah there. I have nothing against Panel de Pon, but let's be real here. Puyo Puyo needs all the support it can get right now and pairing up the series with what's the most popular puzzle series worldwide again is easily a great way to bring it to the forefront. This is most definitely NOT a horse's mouth you want to look into; fans of other characters only wish they could get news like these.

D

Deleted member

I know. Well, i'm still supporting Arle to join the fighters in Smash, as that is what our goal is. I hope Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 becomes a success that will convince Nintendo to get Arle into Smash as a fighter.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 sounds great! I like the idea of character selection having more of a gameplay impact with unique skills...

Anyone have bold predictions/hopes for new characters/modes/concepts?
I'm thinking that they may add most, if not all, the chronicle characters that they put into champions. Other than that, I think it'd be really cool if they added a sega crossover character like Sakura. But that's more wishful thinking on my part.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 sounds great! I like the idea of character selection having more of a gameplay impact with unique skills...

Anyone have bold predictions/hopes for new characters/modes/concepts?
Do you wonder why they're calling this Adventure mode new when it just sounds like the last game's story mode?

amageish

Smash Master
I'm thinking that they may add most, if not all, the chronicle characters that they put into champions. Other than that, I think it'd be really cool if they added a sega crossover character like Sakura. But that's more wishful thinking on my part.
Sounds like a solid guess! I definitely imagine they'll import a lot of the newcomers from Champions into this, especially the ones from Chronicles. I don't know if the ones from Quest who got into Champions are now going to become series mainstays or what though... Lidelle also seems possible, given how she cameoed in the previous Tetris game...

SEGA crossover content would be amazing. Even if they didn't add playable characters, it'd be cool have skins/music/profile-pictures taken from other SEGA franchises, even if it was just the ones that cameoed in Quest already. I mean, what's better then one crossover? Crossovers within that crossover!

Do you wonder why they're calling this Adventure mode new when it just sounds like the last game's story mode?
They said it's a "brand-new story," so I assume it's a pseudo-sequel... or something. I imagine the levels will be new to match the new mechanics/modes, at least.

Top Bottom