• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arle Nadja, Puyo Popper Extraordinaire pops into Smash Bros.! (New Management!)

Which Puyo protagonist would you prefer for Smash?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

Ring Fit Adventure spirits huh? Guess Arle is still out there... i hope she makes it into Super Smash Bros in general, not just Ultimate.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I just wanted to pop in and express my support for Arle!

She's climbed up to being one of my absolute most wanted characters, especially after deep diving into the Puyo series to see what all the fuss is about. I would be so happy to see such a charming series and character represented in Smash, and I think she's got a real good shot. Here's hoping!
I take it I can add you to the support list?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Here’s a Classic Mode Route I made for Arle, based on Satan’s the Dark Prince’s totally not creepy obsession with wanting to marry her:
Arle Nadja: Unsuitable Suitors
Stage 1: :ultbowserjr::ultroy2::ultiggy::ultmorton::ultludwig: on Mushroom Kingdom U (Fortress Boss - Super Mario World)
Stage 2: :ultdk::ultkrool:(free-for-all) on :75M: (Donkey Kong Arcade Medley)
Stage 3: :ultganondorf:on Great Bay (Hidden Mountain and Forest)
Stage 4: :ultrobin::ultcorrin:on Arena Ferox (free-for-all) (Attack! - Fire Emblem)
Stage 5: :ultjoker::ultinklingboy:(free-for-all) on Moray Towers (Mass Destruction)
Stage 6: :ultmario:(wedding alt):ultbowser: (free-for-all) on New Donk City Hall (Break Free (Lead the Way))
Boss: Dracula (Final of Puyo Puyo)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hell yeah you can
Alright, Louie G. Louie G. You're officially a member of the Puyo-popping experience! Congrats!

Here’s a Classic Mode Route I made for Arle, based on Satan’s the Dark Prince’s totally not creepy obsession with wanting to marry her:
Oh, yeah! I remember seeing this on that thread. I was wondering if you ever planned to post it here, but I didn't want to bother you.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Oh, yeah! I remember seeing this on that thread. I was wondering if you ever planned to post it here, but I didn't want to bother you.
That's okay! I was just busy with other stuff, plus the fact that I don't normally post my Classic Mode ideas in other threads (mostly so I don't feel like I'm bothering them).

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
If you don't mind me adding this here, she was also the voice of both Yu AND Rei, among a couple of Puyo Quest-exclusive characters here and there, I believe.

But still... on St. Patrick's Day, too? My goodness, what happened? I read she passed away due to a disease, but no one's made it clear what kind yet. I don't know if THAT disease caused it...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, at least we don't have any forthcoming projects right now, but this can potentially affect Fafner the most.

RIP.

If you don't mind me adding this here, she was also the voice of both Yu AND Rei, among a couple of Puyo Quest-exclusive characters here and there, I believe.

But still... on St. Patrick's Day, too? My goodness, what happened? I read she passed away due to a disease, but no one's made it clear what kind yet. I don't know if THAT disease caused it...
Probably not, elderly people, kids and those with weak constitutions are most susceptible.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
On the bright side, a delay scare for CP6 was announced to not be the case. But the potential of Yu and Rei getting dropped from the series from this... Yu is my favorite character, at least she's tied for it...

Still, right now my thoughts are with the Nakanishi family. Nobody's gonna be hit harder then Tamaki's loved ones.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
On the bright side, a delay scare for CP6 was announced to not be the case. But the potential of Yu and Rei getting dropped from the series from this... Yu is my favorite character, at least she's tied for it...
Oh, so FP6 (possibly) isn't getting delayed? That's neat. But Yu and Rei getting dropped from the Puyo Puyo games... Oh, man... I don't if I can live with this, but at the same time, I guess I can respect whatever SEGA's decision may be.

Still, right now my thoughts are with the Nakanishi family. Nobody's gonna be hit harder then Tamaki's loved ones.
My thoughts and prayers are with them. In fact, Mie Sonozaki is really taking this loss hard. She even explains how Carby, Yu, and Rei are her favorite Puyo characters anyway, and that Nakanishi was like a sister to her. It's really sad to see.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At most, it'll take a while to see the next Puyo Puyo game until a recasting happens.

Just remember that the most recent Tekken game we've had since 7 is a mobile game that reuses assets, since it came out shortly after Unshou Ishizuka's passing in 2018.

D

Deleted member

Let's all hope for the best. Arle and Crash must join Smazh as soon as possible, but ONLY after the whole virus thing is Permanently GONE for good! I can't risk the bad things that will negatively affect the second Fighters' Pass.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I know I've said this earlier today, but... Man, I'm rather nervous for whatever Nakanishi-san's passing may mean for the likes of Yu and Rei.

I know they'll most likely still be kept around for Puyo Quest and continue being relevant via that, but I REALLY don't want THAT to be their fate after all of this. Heaven knows that they already barely ever appear in 'mainstream' Puyo games anymore as it is after 15th Anniversary.

For the record, I'm not too worried about Carbuncle. The little guy's practically one of THE faces of Puyo Puyo, ESPECIALLY in Japan. No way SEGA's going to drop him from the series anytime soon.

Last edited:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Damn, that's definitely sad news to end the day with. I also saw the tweets by Mie Sonozaki, and you can tell how close they were.

44 is also such a young age to go. My thoughts to all of Tamaki's loved ones.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I picked Puyo Puyo up a few months ago and instantly fell in love with the game. Arle for Smash!
Sorry for the wait! I've been busy with some stuff. Anyways... Congrats, Peripuff Peripuff ! You're officially a member of the Puyo-popping experience!

What do you tell, I haven't come here in a long time
Don't suppose I can add you to the support list?

melancholycobalt

Smash Rookie
After all, at one point in the series, you could play as Carbuncle independently. Now he's just tagged with Arle by default.

Honestly, thinking back now, I can't remember ever seeing Carbuncle look sad. Maybe he's just an insentient cause he's defaultly happy most of the time, isn't he? Or, perhaps, it's just a mask that hides his derelict nature due to all the bad he did with Satan.

Hmm, I can't really imagine Carbuncle having that serious of a back story, but then again, I haven't played all of the Madou Monogatari games yet XD

Yeah, it'll suck if it does. I have played this version enough where I've grown very, very fond of the original voices. Switching them to English is equivalent to watching One Punch Man in dub.
Speaking of which, the guy who voiced Saitama in the dub is also Tee's voice actor

melancholycobalt

Smash Rookie

Welcome to the Official Arle Nadja Support Thread!

(Note: This post is a WIP. It will be periodically updated with new content.) OP development credit goes to FlareHabanero.

Arle Nadja (アルル・ナジャ) is a prominent character in the Puyo Puyo and (formally) Madou Monogatari series. She typically serves as the protagonist of the games created by Compile, though in SEGA's games, she tends to share her role as main protagonist with the characters Amitie and Ringo Andou. Because of her popularity, she's often used as a sort of mascot for the series alongside Carbuncle and the Puyos.

She's a young mage apprentice, with a cheery disposition and a love for curry. Though young, she has already shown great skills in diverse magic, common ones including Fire, Ice Storm, Brain Dumbed, Diacute, and Bayoen. She acts rather optimistic most of the time, but she does show a more cynical side on the occasion. She typically acted as the only sane girl, who had to deal with the general zaniness of the rest of the cast. This sometimes causes her to lose her patience, prompting snarky comments or anger.

She's often accompanied by Carbuncle (カーバンクル), a mysterious yellow rabbit-like creature that is known for absolutely loving curry and being Satan's former pet. Despite his innocent looks, he's deceptively strong at playing Puyo Puyo and is capable of firing a piercing laser from the gem on his head, but prefers to simply hang around and goof off. He loves Arle, but even then will still run off on his own on occasion to cause mischief. His gender is technically unknown; Arle uses male pronouns while Satan uses female ones.

Both characters are commonly sought after by Satan (aka Dark Prince), Ruler of The Puyo Underworld. A lot of the plots in the Puyo games is Satan doing something stupid to grab Arle's attention, and Arle begrudgingly going out of the way to stop him. His motivations are to marry Arle and get back Carbuncle, but his methods of doing so are so ridiculous that it only angers Arle and even Carbuncle. This consequentially also attracts other rivals like Schezo and Rulue, who are also after Arle for their own reasons.

As mentioned already, the two are very close to each other, constantly being together in many of the games through thick and thin. This goes as far as a handful of games such as Puyo Puyo Fever 2, Puyo Puyo! 15th Anniversary, and Puyo Puyo Tetris labeling them both as a single character. In general both characters have appeared in the majority of Puyo Puyo and Madou Monogatari games, along with several DiscStation titles.

Puyo Puyo was a popular series in Japan, primarily in the 90's when the series was in it's golden years with the success of Puyo Puyo and Puyo Puyo Tsu pushing it into the mainstream. Though admittedly had a falling out by the 2000's due to the awkward period for puzzle games in general, but has gained new life again due to the popularity of Puyo Puyo Tetris and Puyo Puyo!! Quest. Regardless, the series is popular enough that SEGA does promote it on a regular basis.

The popularity of the first two arcade games in particular spawned it's own genre of games, competitive focused puzzle games, which would influence companies like Capcom, Konami, SEGA, Tecmo, and Nintendo to create their own spins on the formula. As a few examples, Panel de Pon, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, Taisen Puzzle Dama, Baku Baku Animal, and Panic Bomber. Even older puzzle games like Dr. Mario and Tetris experimented with a similar formula for some games.

I bring this up because I want to clarify that the Puyo Puyo series does has some significance in the grand scheme of things. A long running series that is 25+ years old and managed to gain enough popularity to influence other developers is not something you can boast about for just any series. Within the context of Super Smash Bros. and third parties, it's pretty clear that the franchises aimed that have some sort of legacy attached to them are a priority.

However the achilles' heel, and it's a pretty significant one too, is that the series has failed to gather much of a following outside of Japan (barring France surprisingly). A lot of it's influence is simply lost in a lot of other areas around the world, so to those not following it just seems like a totally random franchise. This has been a problem for decades now, due to a series of questionable business choices effectively tanking the opportunities it had at gaining more popularity on a more global basis. Though on a brighter note, the series has gotten attention recently with Puyo Puyo Tetris being a decent success, so it's very possible the stigma will slowly reverse itself.

On a more subjective note, why should Arle and by extension Carbuncle be chosen? There are quite a number of third parties out there, so naturally picking one is gonna be a tough choice. From a business standpoint, the Puyo Puyo series was designed with a boy and girl demographic in mind. In practice though, it has a habit of attracting a female crowd and even the "esports" crowd. The latter in particular is notable since it's attracted a competitive crowd for decades, predating even Super Smash Bros.

Arle and Carbuncle themselves are a fan favorite in the Puyo Puyo series, frequently getting fan art and being pushed in promotions. So people would be enthusiastic about the characters appearing in a setting like Super Smash Bros. It helps that the Puyo Puyo series recently has been pushing for crossovers, like with Puyo Puyo Tetris and the many collaborations with Puyo Puyo!! Quest.

• smashkirby
  • Yomi's Biggest Fan
  • Aussie the Shinobi
  • ~ Valkyrie ~
  • Loïc
  • Dotsies
  • Notshane
  • JBX9001
  • Nintenzilla
  • SSBCandidates
  • PreedReeve
  • ZestyN
  • Camc10
  • ~TCT~ Phantom
  • KeniththeGatherer
  • PreedReeve
  • Wanderer from Roseyard
  • Quarium
  • Laniv
  • Luminario
  • Autumn ♫
  • CrossDispatcher
  • Xhampi
  • Majorb
  • Crap-Zapper
  • Yokta
  • Slambros
  • SquashiniKun
  • YouSeemFRAZZLED
  • ProfPeanut
  • Notshane
  • merchantofsalt
  • CuriousVillager
  • Pizza Robo
  • FamicomDisk
  • Mr.J
  • PsySmasher
  • DNeon
  • Perkilator
  • Flyboy
  • Celerity910
  • Looma
  • Jave
  • amageish
  • ♕Pretty Roger♕
  • StormC
  • KirbyWorshipper2465
  • MainJPW
  • Wilsonasmara
  • PokéfreakofBACON
  • StarBot
  • kaithehedgefox
  • Sunredo
  • cj.
  • shammah121
  • smash puffle
  • Smashing Ramen
  • Superiorstar
  • AreJay25
  • Lesley Black Velvet
  • Calane
  • Dreamking
  • Spongeboob
  • Abade
  • ShotoStar: Endgame
  • Sari
  • OhNoItsKirbo
  • cosmicB
  • Prince777
  • xwingz900
  • Bee Card
  • Arctiq
  • MonkeyDLenny
  • DanganZilla5
  • Ctoan
  • Dr. Jojo Phantasma
  • TheRockingGoomba
  • Blankiturayman
  • - Zero Requiem -
  • Perkilator
  • Louie G.
  • Peripuff
  • Mushroomguy12
To be fair, they should have put Arle in Sans' place. IMO Undertale is pure trash. (No offense)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Yeah right
Congrats, Munchi Munchi ! You're officially a member of the Puyo-popping experience!

melancholycobalt melancholycobalt I take it you're new to SmashBoards (Welcome, by the way!), so I should probably inform you that your posts have an Edit function. That said, you might not want to double/triple-post. The mods kind of... frown upon that. All that said, I take it I can add you to the support list?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Congrats, Munchi Munchi ! You're officially a member of the Puyo-popping experience!

melancholycobalt melancholycobalt I take it you're new to SmashBoards (Welcome, by the way!), so I should probably inform you that your posts have an Edit function. That said, you might not want to double/triple-post. The mods kind of... frown upon that. All that said, I take it I can add you to the support list?
To my experience, they notice that much more on threads for characters that are already confirmed to become playable fighters.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
https://60th.sega.com/en/history/

SEGA just put up their 60th anniversary website up
Its history page has Puyo Puyo up with Sonic, Sakura Wars, Yakuza, Virtua Fighter, Phantasy Star Online, Total War, Persona 5 and their famous arcade outputs as important goalmarks in SEGA's History

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
You'll never guess who made a shocking return today.

Apparently the survey they link to is exclusive to US/Canada users, this might or might not be the case, but if you are I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH how important it is that you fill it out.

A very special surprise is awaiting you all if you do. Also there's an Amazon gift card but that's not what I'm talking about.
It tells me that the survey has had max respondents... What was it like?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You'll never guess who made a shocking return today.

Apparently the survey they link to is exclusive to US/Canada users, this might or might not be the case, but if you are I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH how important it is that you fill it out.

A very special surprise is awaiting you all if you do. Also there's an Amazon gift card but that's not what I'm talking about.
If you don't mind me asking, what were the 'big things' found in the survey? I had a LOT of schoolwork to catch up on, so I didn't take the survey.

Top Bottom