• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arle Nadja, Puyo Popper Extraordinaire pops into Smash Bros.! (New Management!)

Which Puyo protagonist would you prefer for Smash?

• Total voters

Ctoan

Smash Apprentice
Hey y'all. Consider me on board wanting Arle in the game. She'd be such a unique character and Puyo is a fun game (even though I barely know how to set up a three chain ). Anyways, I thought I'd go over my own opinions of the alleged evidence for and against Arle and rate them in plausibility.

For-

Sakurai Daily Dev Picks: Not confident on this one. The Marth/Isabelle pic and the Kirby pic could be interpreted as referencing Arle, but the pics are very inconsistent and completely up to interpretation. Not saying they aren't, but they haven't convinced me. 3/10

Daisy with DLC Pic: Now this holds more water imo. Daisy does seem out of place there, is a very easy shoe in for arle due to Bayoen being associated with flowers, the spunky attitude, being female etc. Also the anniversary in a small pic is a great time to tease a character. (7/10)

Jon from Gamexplain: I think y'all underestimate how sneaky he is. Discounting the Grinch Leak immediately, hinting at no reveal at the Game Awards, posting otters before the announcement of a Direct, etc. It's pretty clear he has some kind of source. He did mention Arle in a very random, sudden, and odd way with no further discussion and just somewhat odd laughter from the others. I'm onto you Jon ;). (8/10)

Puyo Games on Switch Online: It is really strange that they released untranslated versions of Puyo rather than Kirby's Avalanche and the Puyo game releasing the same day. But Devil May Cry is getting news that day too and it could just be Sega trying to further cement Puyo as it's own series. Not entirely convinced. 4/10

Puyo Dev Retweeting: I thought this didn't mean anything at first, but then I dug into the dude's Twitter history. The only things he's retweeted were Sega/Puyo related (apart from retweeting the announcement of the Xbox Series X, which is normal as console announcements are pretty big). But here's the big kicker, HE'S NEVER DONE THIS FOR A SHOWCASE ANNOUNCEMENT BEFORE. Furthermore, it is so different from the rest of his retweets (being for the announcement of very specific dlc for a company he doesn't work for). Granted, this could still end up just as mii costumes, but this may be as close to a smoking gun as you can be. 9/10

Against-

Vergeben "Deconfirmation": As some of y'all may know, Vergeben and Sabi are the leakers with the best track records. Both seem to have a source who allegedly knows who it is and began "deconfirming" characters who didn't fit its description. One of the characters Vergeben has "deconfirmed" is Arle. However it should be noted that Vergeben's record has been quite a bit spottier than Sabi's (Nintendo actually went after Sabi since they were so accurate), and Sabi hasn't said anything about Arle as of now. Probably the biggest hit, but still not really damning. 4/10

Puyo Universe Nonviolence: Supposedly in an old interview, a Puyo director claimed the Puyo Universe is nonviolent and even refused a fighting game because of this. However, Animal Crossing and Wii Fit are also very nonviolent series, yet they have reps in Smash too. Sakurai is more than smart enough to create a moveset without violent looking moves. Also Arle actually originated and starred in a dungeon crawler known as Madou Monogatari (which Puyo is actually a spin off of). It had Arle doing direct attacks and she even blew a dude's head off. So it's not like Arle herself is new to violence anyway. 2/10

Already Having A Sega Rep In The Pass: Some say Arle can't be in since Joker is already from Sega. But Joker is actually an Atlus character, and Sega is just Atlus' parent company and mostly treated independently. Even if he was purely a Sega character, it wouldn't matter. This is just another stupid arbitrary rule made by Smash fans. 1/10

Opposing Dante Evidence: There's a lot of people saying because DMC stuff is being announced on 16th, we may get Dante as a character instead. But it's supposedly mostly going to be about DLC for DMC3 on Switch instead. It holds even less water than the Puyo port on NSO that day since I doubt Nintendo would want to be that blatant about it. Plus Dante has much less going for him atm it seems, not to mention being "deconfirmed" by both Sabi and Vergeben (he would be an awesome fighter though, and hope he comes in future dlc). 3.5/10

So how would I rate Arle's chances? I'd say 7.5/10. It's hard to ignore all the stuff going for her. Jon's snarkiness and the Puyo director's interesting retweet are pretty solid and believable signs. Hope this comes true.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
With this renewed interest, I thought of revisiting my moveset thoughts on Arle again from way back in Ballot-era Arle-thread:

https://smashboards.com/threads/vote-arle-nadja-for-smash.411866/post-19772502
Big fan of Puyo Puyo here and I honestly wouldn't mind her. I also support Lip, but I think since Arle's pretty much popular and prominent today in puzzle game industry, I might even think she would be more suitable choice over time.

I guess she'd be a contestor to Zelda, only using magic in her attacks, and Carbuncle even possibly assisting her in some of them. But that's her shtick.

Anyway, she would use these spells in Smash
Fire: Shoots fire at the enemy.
Ice Storm: Shoots ice at the enemy.
Di-Acuteness (Diacute): Makes your next spell more powerful.
Bayoen: Tries to stun the enemy.
Heedon: Tries to put the enemy to sleep.
Bayohihihi: Gives you a temporary shield. (This would be her shield animation, powered up more by Diacute)
Jugem: Sends a magic ball at the enemy — if the spell succeeds, it will contain a very powerful blast that will try to knock the enemy out of the tower. (Possibly a concept for a Final Smash, or an RNG-based ball of magic coming sometimes in her attacks that would deal some knockback)

Anyway, knowing how she functioned in her own games, she could deploy something decently unique in her playstyle: Diacute-stacking.

In Madou Monogatari, the most optimal tactic to win in the games was to stack Diacute-spell about many times as you can, before unleashing an immense barrage of spells on your opponent. Arle thus should have Diacute as her special, strenghening her magic spells to quite powerful levels and use them to take on different types of opponents - Something like Lucas's Offense Up in Project M. But this would render her easier to KO and take damage more harshly, translating to the fact that Arle would always take a turn in Madou Monogatari whenever using Diacute for stacking, rendering her open for attacks.

However, to ensure Diacute isn't spammable, Arle would deploy an unique type of magic meter sort of invisible from the interface. Using Diacute and possibly other spells aside from basic Fire and Ice Storm would train some pints of magic she has. To see this, you got to see what her expression and body language would be like. If she's mostly happy and cheerful, her magic's still fine. If her expressions more neutral, it's got some use left. If she's looking distressed and dizzy, her magic's basically out.

To restore up her magic, she might have to call in Pakista or other merchant from Madou Monogatari-games, I guess? Still working on this.

Diacute could also modify her spells to different forms possibly, maybe strengthening in range and power the more she stacks up. Arle would feel very straightforward obviously due this, but that's how she is.
As I had mentioned back then, Arle's Diacute-spell should be her gimmick like other DLC-characters have, with it and her playstyle centering around on how she can use it to "stack up" her specials or other magic-based attacks into more powerful ones or changing entirely. It also would feel closest to translating the chaining mechanic in Puyo-series.

See her fight with Satan in PC-98 MM2 and how Diacute functions in it in relative to her spells:

I remember smashkirby smashkirby and Loïc Loïc telling how this actually seemed very much like how one builds up chains in Puyo-games in order to unleash tons of nuisance, whether in form of attacks or magic, at their opponents.

On that end, you might notice how in Madou Monogatari-video above, Arle would stutter up when stacking up Diacute to higher levels, and even transfer this in same vein on her ludicrously powered-up Fire-spell. ("Fi-Fi-Fi-Fi-Fi-Fi-Fi-Fi-Fi-Fire!")

This sort of a quirk can be also seen in Puyo-games from Fever onward when reaching high chains!

I really hope that incase Arle's shown, maybe we'll see this gameplay mechanic showcased by Sakurai for those 35 minutes?

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey y'all. Consider me on board wanting Arle in the game. She'd be such a unique character and Puyo is a fun game (even though I barely know how to set up a three chain ). Anyways, I thought I'd go over my own opinions of the alleged evidence for and against Arle and rate them in plausibility.

For-

Sakurai Daily Dev Picks: Not confident on this one. The Marth/Isabelle pic and the Kirby pic could be interpreted as referencing Arle, but the pics are very inconsistent and completely up to interpretation. Not saying they aren't, but they haven't convinced me. 3/10

Daisy with DLC Pic: Now this holds more water imo. Daisy does seem out of place there, is a very easy shoe in for arle due to Bayoen being associated with flowers, the spunky attitude, being female etc. Also the anniversary in a small pic is a great time to tease a character. (7/10)

Jon from Gamexplain: I think y'all underestimate how sneaky he is. Discounting the Grinch Leak immediately, hinting at no reveal at the Game Awards, posting otters before the announcement of a Direct, etc. It's pretty clear he has some kind of source. He did mention Arle in a very random, sudden, and odd way with no further discussion and just somewhat odd laughter from the others. I'm onto you Jon ;). (8/10)

Puyo Games on Switch Online: It is really strange that they released untranslated versions of Puyo rather than Kirby's Avalanche and the Puyo game releasing the same day. But Devil May Cry is getting news that day too and it could just be Sega trying to further cement Puyo as it's own series. Not entirely convinced. (4/10)

Puyo Dev Retweeting: I thought this didn't mean anything at first, but then I dug into the dude's Twitter history. The only things he's retweeted were Sega/Puyo related (apart from retweeting the announcement of the Xbox Series X, which is normal as console announcements are pretty big). But here's the big kicker, HE'S NEVER DONE THIS FOR A SHOWCASE ANNOUNCEMENT BEFORE. Furthermore, it is so different from the rest of his retweets (being for the announcement of very specific dlc for a company he doesn't work for). Granted, this could still end up just as mii costumes, but this may be as close to a smoking gun as you can be. 9/10

Against-

Vergeben "Deconfirmation": As some of y'all may know, Vergeben and Sabi are the leakers with the best track records. Both seem to have a source who allegedly knows who it is and began "deconfirming" characters who didn't fit its description. One of the characters Vergeben has "deconfirmed" is Arle. However it should be noted that Vergeben's record has been quite a bit spottier than Sabi's (Nintendo actually went after Sabi since they were so accurate), and Sabi hasn't said anything about Arle as of now. Probably the biggest hit, but still not really damning.

Puyo Universe Nonviolence: Supposedly in an old interview, a Puyo director claimed the Puyo Universe is nonviolent and even refused a fighting game because of this. However, Animal Crossing and Wii Fit are also very nonviolent series, yet they have reps in Smash too. Sakurai is more than smart enough to create a moveset without violent looking moves. Also Arle actually originated and starred in a dungeon crawler known as Madou Monogatari (which Puyo is actually a spin off of). It had Arle doing direct attacks and she even blew a dude's head off. So it's not like Arle herself is new to violence anyway. 2/10

Already Having A Sega Rep In The Pass: Some say Arle can't be in since Joker is already from Sega. But Joker is actually an Atlus character, and Sega is just Atlus' parent company and mostly treated independently. Even if he was purely a Sega character, it wouldn't matter. This is just another stupid arbitrary rule made by Smash fans. 1/10

Opposing Dante Evidence: There's a lot of people saying because DMC stuff is being announced on 16th, we may get Dante as a character instead. But it's supposedly mostly going to be about DLC for DMC3 on Switch instead. It holds even less water than the Puyo port on NSO that day since I doubt Nintendo would want to be that blatant about it. Plus Dante has much less going for him atm it seems, not to mention being "deconfirmed" by both Sabi and Vergeben (he would be an awesome fighter though, and hope he comes in future dlc). 3.5/10

So how would I rate Arle's chances? I'd say 7.5/10. It's hard to ignore all the stuff going for her. Jon's snarkiness and the Puyo director's interesting retweet are pretty solid and believable signs. Hope this comes true.
First things first, I take it that this means I can add you to the support list, Ctoan Ctoan ? By the way, really awesome write-up on Arle and her situation for Smash right now. I won't lie, so much has been going on that it's been hard to keep track of what's going on.

With this renewed interest, I thought of revisiting my moveset thoughts on Arle again from way back in Ballot-era Arle-thread:

https://smashboards.com/threads/vote-arle-nadja-for-smash.411866/post-19772502

As I had mentioned back then, Arle's Diacute-spell should be her gimmick like other DLC-characters have, with it and her playstyle centering around on how she can use it to "stack up" her specials or other magic-based attacks into more powerful ones or changing entirely. It also would feel closest to translating the chaining mechanic in Puyo-series.

See her fight with Satan in PC-98 MM2 and how Diacute functions in it in relative to her spells:

I remember smashkirby smashkirby and Loïc Loïc telling how this actually seemed very much like how one builds up chains in Puyo-games in order to unleash tons of nuisance, whether in form of attacks or magic, at their opponents.

On that end, you might notice how in Madou Monogatari-video above, Arle would stutter up when stacking up Diacute to higher levels, and even transfer this in same vein on her ludicrously powered-up Fire-spell. ("Fi-Fi-Fi-Fi-Fi-Fi-Fi-Fi-Fi-Fire!")

This sort of a quirk can be also seen in Puyo-games from Fever onward when reaching high chains!

I really hope that incase Arle's shown, maybe we'll see this gameplay mechanic showcased by Sakurai for those 35 minutes?

It's great to see you still supporting Arle! Also, if Arle is FP5, do you all think Sakurai would mention Madou Monogatari and Arle's origins in that game?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
It's great to see you still supporting Arle!
I'm all for her, just not been prioritizing on her as much due other characters taking priority + skepticism - though I guess that has led to disappointments of their own. :ohwell:

Also, if Arle is FP5, do you all think Sakurai would mention Madou Monogatari and Arle's origins in that game?
Why wouldn't he? It's Arle's true origins, after all! Pretty sure most Japanese fans would catch on, while a lot might be given more thorough presentation of Arle's origins - which I find a little more interesting than how Puyo-series plays her up as.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
1712c2d5c42895eeeb17c5120be3dd7b.png

Oh has this been brought up? It could just be guessing and they did say direct instead of presentation. We at the KOS-MOS thread already had our experiences with 4chan leaks. >_<

zferolie

Smash Hero

Oh has this been brought up? It could just be guessing and they did say direct instead of presentation. We at the KOS-MOS thread already had our experiences with 4chan leaks. >_<
Well we could have guessed the 16th, and the last announcement for the pokemon direct was the same time the week before. So its not hard to prtend to get that information. Still, its an accurate predicton.

Arle probably has the most in her favor atm. I am still on the Shantae with Geno double release due to the planned for this to be the final, but thats my wish prediction. Arle is who I am expecting.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace

Lucky guess. Nintendo has patterns as to when they announce video presentations, so it wouldn't be much of a stretch to guess an announcement on the 14th. A lot of people were, me included.
Doesn't discount Arle's chances of course, but still pretty fake.

TheRockingGoomba

Smash Cadet
I've been an Arle supporter for about a year or two now, so i'm happy that it's actually really likely that she might get announced tomorrow, in fact, i think she might actually be the 5th DLC fighter, as i have no idea who else it could be at this point.
However, i wanna address something about Daisy Theory, and Picture Theory.

May i remind everybody about Skull Kid, Rayman, Waluigi, and Shantaes Magical Conspiracy Chairs?
I think that Daisy theory has a lot going for it (Being Associated with Flowers, Spunky Attitude, Orange, Girl). But i'm not 100% sure about picture theory yet.
But i can see the one with Isabelle on Marth's shoulder being a reference to Arle and Carbuncle.

Ctoan

Smash Apprentice
First things first, I take it that this means I can add you to the support list, Ctoan Ctoan ? By the way, really awesome write-up on Arle and her situation for Smash right now. I won't lie, so much has been going on that it's been hard to keep track of what's going on.
Absolutely add me!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Also may I please be on the supporters list? I am so into Arle now.
Absolutely add me!
Well... ask and you shall receive! Ctoan Ctoan and Dr. Jojo Phantasma Dr. Jojo Phantasma , you two are officially members of the Puyo-popping experience! Congrats!

I've been an Arle supporter for about a year or two now, so i'm happy that it's actually really likely that she might get announced tomorrow, in fact, i think she might actually be the 5th DLC fighter, as i have no idea who else it could be at this point.
However, i wanna address something about Daisy Theory, and Picture Theory.

May i remind everybody about Skull Kid, Rayman, Waluigi, and Shantaes Magical Conspiracy Chairs?
I think that Daisy theory has a lot going for it (Being Associated with Flowers, Spunky Attitude, Orange, Girl). But i'm not 100% sure about picture theory yet.
But i can see the one with Isabelle on Marth's shoulder being a reference to Arle and Carbuncle.
TheRockingGoomba TheRockingGoomba I don't think you're on the support list. Want me to add you?

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace

For-

Puyo Games on Switch Online: It is really strange that they released untranslated versions of Puyo rather than Kirby's Avalanche and the Puyo game releasing the same day. But Devil May Cry is getting news that day too and it could just be Sega trying to further cement Puyo as it's own series. Not entirely convinced. 4/10

Against-

Vergeben "Deconfirmation": As some of y'all may know, Vergeben and Sabi are the leakers with the best track records. Both seem to have a source who allegedly knows who it is and began "deconfirming" characters who didn't fit its description. One of the characters Vergeben has "deconfirmed" is Arle. However it should be noted that Vergeben's record has been quite a bit spottier than Sabi's (Nintendo actually went after Sabi since they were so accurate), and Sabi hasn't said anything about Arle as of now. Probably the biggest hit, but still not really damning. 4/10

Surprising that you didn't bring up the weirdness regarding Puyo 2 Sega Ages' release, which I talked about earlier in the thread. Its existence was known about for a long while, but for the longest time the specific release date was unknown, even getting delayed from 2019 to 2020. Last week, the headline stating that Puyo 2 AGES was out had accidentally released early...on the same day as the Pokemon Direct on January 9th. The game ended up releasing for real exactly a week later on the 16th, and right before a Smash-related presentation on the same day (at least, in Japan). While we can't know for sure, between the long time between the initial announcement and its actual release, the timing of said release with the upcoming Smash presentation, and especially the goof-up that happened on the same day as a different direct from last week, many people (including myself) are thinking that Puyo 2 Sega Ages's release date and timing was chosen for a VERY good reason.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Tomorrow's DLC will certainly be interesting no matter what. Whether it's Arle or Doomslayer, you got an interesting presentation to watch

xwingz900

Smash Apprentice
The planets seem to be aligning, but a part of me still has a little doubt. I just can't wait for tomorrow so we can finally see who fighter 5 is!

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I find it interesting that in that Sega AGES interview in the last page apparently a lot of ex compile devs ended up getting jobs at SEGA for 15th anniversary and worked on puyo games since.

Alot of puyo fans seem to act like compile was out of the picture but there still here

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
With evidence seemingly supporting her chances for tomorrow I thought I come by on this thread and wish all you supporters luck in Arle getting in.

Best of luck for you all.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Well, good luck everyone, while I do have some worry that Arle might end up being a Mii costume, I strongly hope that she ends up being FP5. Let's make it happen, Sakurai, please! :)

zferolie

Smash Hero
Just over 2 hours left, and it seems this is not gonna leak at all. Good luck to everyone here. I aknow Arle has a good chance but remember its still all speculative.

D

Deleted member

If the Fighter is Arle, we can finally close the Support thread, and we will move on to the Social thread! Until then... STAY DETERMINED!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If the Fighter is Arle, we can finally close the Support thread, and we will move on to the Social thread! Until then... STAY DETERMINED!
That's not how it works. This thread will just be moved to the Arle board.

OhNoItsKirbo

Smash Rookie
Less than an hour now. It’s amazing seeing all the support for Arle over the past few weeks. Good luck everyone, and hype responsibly!

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
Only a little under 10 hours until TGA. Just wanted to remind everyone to hope but not expect, if that makes sense. We aren't entitled to get our character in, no one is. Even if we don't get her in, which wouldn't be surprising considering it's a western event, it's still Puyo day in Japan. The SEGA Ages version of Tsu just got announced, we have the 30th anniversary game to look forward to in 2021, and the English community is growing everyday. Let's be happy for what we got.
Just wanted to remind everyone.

If she gets a mii costume then we still got the new Tsu port, which is probably the best version of it, and 30th anniversary game in 2021 to look forward to.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Here's hoping Arle gets some love in the Direct.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Just wanted to remind everyone.

If she gets a mii costume then we still got the new Tsu port, which is probably the best version of it, and 30th anniversary game in 2021 to look forward to.
Hmmh. I might still be wanting to see Arle in a full-blown SEGA-crossover of their own making now and then to let SEGA really show off their legacy on their own and try their hands at doing something cool with them after All Star Racing-games.

On that end, I'm reminded of how Goemon got to be a Mii Costume (which I wasn't too fond of, TBH) - yet then there came the fine fortune of getting the fan translations of the JPN-only SFC-platformers. Dedicated fans truly can keep series alive and let them reach timelessness, no matter how dormant.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Today's the moment of truth.

All I can do is wait and see. A Mii means it's over, but I won't get so tense anymore. Nothing means this song and dance continues. And I think you all know what option 3 is.

Here's hoping... but not expecting...

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
Oh well, we're probably getting the mii treatment. But hey, it was fun while it lasted and I'm happy for everyone who wanted Byleth. Three Houses was a great game and the character looks really creative.

Edit: Nevermind, she's not a mii costume, so there's very much still a chance for her to be in the second pass at least.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
At least we didn't get Mii Costumed. There's still hope, so I guess that's cause for celebration!

artworks-000366854619-wzss22-t500x500.jpg

D

Deleted member

I actually want Byleth cuz he's Nintendo, and i was Happy! Arle's Not even a Mii Costume, so she still has a Shot! Also, give Support for Lip fans too! Verge was right about FP5, And i don't mind, since Arle is complicated to work with which is why she should be in the next run, so, Go Go Arle!

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
We're in this for the long haul, boys, girls, and everybody in between!

I'm gonna say that I'm sorry I didn't try to keep hype in check well enough, considering it was Byleth of Three Houses fame (soon infamy). But the next set of DLC is what I considered the golden goose.

Now let's get crazy!

Top Bottom