• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arle Nadja, Puyo Popper Extraordinaire pops into Smash Bros.! (New Management!)

Which Puyo protagonist would you prefer for Smash?

• Total voters

zferolie

Smash Hero
This is argument was used by Grinch leak believers.
I admit i thought grinch may have been real lol.

I'm not doubting verge. I know hes a legit leaker. I just find it amusing no one knows who FP5 or any other future dlc is, and I like that. don't try to think I am attacking verge, because I'm not. Or Sabi either. I am just keeping an Open mind for the smash dlc is all.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I admit i thought grinch may have been real lol.

I'm not doubting verge. I know hes a legit leaker. I just find it amusing no one knows who FP5 or any other future dlc is, and I like that. don't try to think I am attacking verge, because I'm not. Or Sabi either. I am just keeping an Open mind for the smash dlc is all.
I’ll tell you why I think that this is the case. Based on what I have seen some people say.

It seems as if Nintendo really cracked down security for anyone who wants to try and leak any other DLC fighters after E3. What further strengthens this belief of mine is, contrary to popular belief, apparently leakers DID know about Terry before the slip up, but they didn’t go public with it.

It seems that the repurcussions of leaking have increased drastically, which is why they have been both quiet about FP5s identity.

D

Deleted member

Regardless, Arle will still be abpe to fight in Smash, so don't lose hope! Who knows Arle turned out to be FP5, And even if Vergeben says that she would probably be Post Pass, anything that makes Arle a true Fighter can happen. Don't get the leaks and false info get the better of us.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I’ll tell you why I think that this is the case. Based on what I have seen some people say.

It seems as if Nintendo really cracked down security for anyone who wants to try and leak any other DLC fighters after E3. What further strengthens this belief of mine is, contrary to popular belief, apparently leakers DID know about Terry before the slip up, but they didn’t go public with it.

It seems that the repurcussions of leaking have increased drastically, which is why they have been both quiet about FP5s identity.
makes sense, and I like it this way. I wanna feel pure surprise and shock like I did with Joker.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I ignore all leakers on principle because I don't want to be part of the consequences it entails. I work for a big company, and people have gotten fired over very small leaks that don't come even close to the stuff that's being thrown around in the Smash community.

We all make Intern-kun jokes, and say "It's just video games", but trust me, every time something like this happens, someone job's is on the line, and I feel a lot of people don't assimilate that.

amageish

Smash Master
another video from papagenos papagenos going over Arle.

I'm still very weary of being this confident, but full points for the pun in the title.

It is also generally nice to see Arle getting this much attention. Hopefully exposure to her means there wouldn't be quite as much salt as there often is for announcements of more "casual" characters, if she ever gets announced...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And i can't believe that my part of discussion was there in the Video!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
another video from papagenos papagenos going over Arle.

papagenos papagenos Thanks for another Arle video! Also, props to you for the pun.;)

I'm still very weary of being this confident, but full points for the pun in the title.

It is also generally nice to see Arle getting this much attention. Hopefully exposure to her means there wouldn't be quite as much salt as there often is for announcements of more "casual" characters, if she ever gets announced...
I'm telling you all... I swear, I NEVER would have expected the likes of ARLE to gain such a surprising amount of traction in the span of about 2-3 years. I mean, pre-Smash Ultimate? The poor girl (and her entire series as a whole in its ORIGINAL form, as in no M.B.M/Kirby reskins) was a literal 'who' even outside of Smash Bros. speculation. Now? She's a fairly respected name in Smash speculation. To think, SEGA was able to get their act together for Puyo Puyo's sake just in time for the Ultimate Smash game.

amageish

Smash Master
I'm telling you all... I swear, I NEVER would have expected the likes of ARLE to gain such a surprising amount of traction in the span of about 2-3 years. I mean, pre-Smash Ultimate? The poor girl (and her entire series as a whole in its ORIGINAL form, as in no M.B.M/Kirby reskins) was a literal 'who' even outside of Smash Bros. speculation. Now? She's a fairly respected name in Smash speculation. To think, SEGA was able to get their act together for Puyo Puyo's sake just in time for the Ultimate Smash game.
It's genuinely impressive. Puyo Puyo Tetris being such a fun title early into the Switch's life cycle was obviously helpful, but it's still super impressive that this franchise that didn't even have its anniversary game localized is now being seen as likely to be put in the biggest crossover in gaming. Even if it isn't building up to a Smash announcement, the decision to put Puyo Puyo 2 over Kirby's Avalanche on NSO speaks wonders to the franchise's increase in notoriety.

Also, random thing: Has anyone here played Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God? How is it? How Arle-y is the protagonist? I'm going to assume she's a bit of an Arle stand-in given the titular curry.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It's genuinely impressive. Puyo Puyo Tetris being such a fun title early into the Switch's life cycle was obviously helpful, but it's still super impressive that this franchise that didn't even have its anniversary game localized is now being seen as likely to be put in the biggest crossover in gaming. Even if it isn't building up to a Smash announcement, the decision to put Puyo Puyo 2 over Kirby's Avalanche on NSO speaks wonders to the franchise's increase in notoriety.
I know, right? Barely any of the Puyo Puyo games have been localized yet (in their original forms), and already our little armor-wearing mage is already considered to be a fairly notable contender for the biggest crossover in gaming culture right now.

Honestly, it's the fact that they decided to Super Puyo Puyo Tsu instead of Kirby's Avalanche, that many 'Arle for Smash' supporters (including myself, actually) have been using this fact as an point in Arle's favor.

Also, random thing: Has anyone here played Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God? How is it? How Arle-y is the protagonist? I'm going to assume she's a bit of an Arle stand-in given the titular curry.
I haven't played it, but the game (from what I've heard of it) is basically a retelling of the original Madou trilogy with all-new characters based on the original cast. Also, the main protagonist (Pupuru is her name, in case you're wondering) pretty much is an Arle expy, for the most part.

Funny thing though, I've heard some new characters in Sorcery Saga seem to even take after SEGA's Puyo cast, such as Feli.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

papagenos papagenos Thanks for another Arle video! Also, props to you for the pun.;)

Awwww.... i wish Nintendo could do the same to Lip.... she would be a perfect rival for Arle when Arle joins the roster. Is it wrong if i want Lip promoted to fighter for Justice?

amageish

Smash Master
I know, right? Barely any of the Puyo Puyo games have been localized yet (in their original forms), and already our little armor-wearing mage is already considered to be a fairly notable contender for the biggest crossover in gaming culture right now.
It is super impressive. I don't want to sound too "It's an honour just to be nominated!" but I am very happy Puyo Puyo has gotten this much time in the limelight at all.

Honestly, it's the fact that they decided to Super Puyo Puyo Tsu instead of Kirby's Avalanche, that many 'Arle for Smash' supporters (including myself, actually) have been using this fact as an point in Arle's favor.
It's definitely a good sign for SEGA wanting to push Puyo Puyo in the west and Nintendo is willing to assist with that goal, if nothing else. It'd be very awesome if that came in the form of Smash representation as well, obviously.

I haven't played it, but the game (from what I've heard of it) is basically a retelling of the original Madou trilogy with all-new characters based on the original cast. Also, the main protagonist (Pupuru is her name, in case you're wondering) pretty much is an Arle expy, for the most part.

Funny thing though, I've heard some new characters in Sorcery Saga seem to even take after SEGA's Puyo cast, such as Feli.
Wow. Thanks for the info! That's an interesting history for sure. Knocking off the OCs made by the company that ended up owning your original characters is... a complicated situation to say the least.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon's demo has gotten me in a dungeon crawlling mood, so I've been considering picking it up, but also Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore is coming out Friday...

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Anyway, Arle being in the spotlight has made me research her and I didn't know she had quite a legacy to her and the big success of her series in Japan. Maybe not in FP5, but I feel confident that she will be the next SEGA rep in future DLC if there is one. Before I had it pitched that Kazuma Kiryu of Yazuka fame was the next top SEGA pick.

Superiorstar

Smash Cadet
does there happen to be a support discord for this character? I'd like to join it but I can't find a link!

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
And that's when bam! I make my appearance!

Here ya go! While there are a few moments of inactivity, in general there is some discussion going on throughout the week. We do Puyo matches and Smash matches, and other things of note.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I have a question: Would Arle's hair be considered a ponytail? I know a ponytail is more straight and bundled together, but it's kind of close. I promise I have a good reason for asking this.

Remember the ponytail that was in Joker's code that people were talking about? I'm not sure if it said ponytail or if there was a picture, but it could possibly hint toward Arle. This is a stretch, especially since Terry has a ponytail so it could have only been used for him, but I wanted to throw this out there.

amageish

Smash Master
I have a question: Would Arle's hair be considered a ponytail? I know a ponytail is more straight and bundled together, but it's kind of close. I promise I have a good reason for asking this.

Remember the ponytail that was in Joker's code that people were talking about? I'm not sure if it said ponytail or if there was a picture, but it could possibly hint toward Arle. This is a stretch, especially since Terry has a ponytail so it could have only been used for him, but I wanted to throw this out there.
It's... technically possible? I believe the files were for making the ponytail move naturally, which wouldn't exactly be a huge concern for Arle due to her relatively-short hair. We have no idea what happened to the files (and it's entirely possible they were garbage files the entire time), but I'd wonder what Arle's hair would be doing under the name "Jane" in an alternate costume for Joker. They could possibly just be building Arle off of Joker using Arle as a base, but the files suggested that this ponytail had already been modeled/textured/rigged/animated (which would be obviously weird this far in advance) and I also doubt Arle would be built off of Joker when more chibi characters like Toon Link and Ness exist.

It's a good thought, but it seems to me much more likely that this was some sort of scrapped (or maybe postphoned) Joker alt, especially as the files indicated it was for costume 7 in particular and Joker has his school uniforms as costumes 7/8...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It is super impressive. I don't want to sound too "It's an honour just to be nominated!" but I am very happy Puyo Puyo has gotten this much time in the limelight at all.
Again, something I personally wouldn't have expected to ever happen, given this series' history with regional reskins/awful promotion for games that DON'T get the reskin treatment.

It's definitely a good sign for SEGA wanting to push Puyo Puyo in the west and Nintendo is willing to assist with that goal, if nothing else. It'd be very awesome if that came in the form of Smash representation as well, obviously.
I feel like in the case of Puyo Puyo, having a role in Smash BIGGER than Spirits/an AT is what will REALLY make or break the series' presence worldwide. Don't get me wrong, the Puyo games themselves are also most definitely a factor as well. It's just... I mean... Fire Emblem, anyone?

Wow. Thanks for the info! That's an interesting history for sure. Knocking off the OCs made by the company that ended up owning your original characters is... a complicated situation to say the least.
When I heard that some characters in Sorcery Saga could be considered 'knock-offs' of SEGA's cast of characters, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit intrigued. I don't know, maybe this was Compile (Heart)'s way of trying to show us just how well the Fever-era cast and Puyo 7 characters would work in a Madou Monogatari game? By the way, I should mention... the character I mentioned who is supposedly something of an expy of Feli? Apparently, she also has some traits of Witch in her as well, so...

Anyway, Arle being in the spotlight has made me research her and I didn't know she had quite a legacy to her and the big success of her series in Japan. Maybe not in FP5, but I feel confident that she will be the next SEGA rep in future DLC if there is one. Before I had it pitched that Kazuma Kiryu of Yazuka fame was the next top SEGA pick.
It's funny, I actually support Kiryu for Smash. That said, it does feel like Arle's having more and more going for her than him right now...

Honestly, I'd go as far as to say that in Japan? SEGA probably considers Arle and Carbuncle (and the Puyos themselves) their mascots moreso than Sonic.

It's... technically possible? I believe the files were for making the ponytail move naturally, which wouldn't exactly be a huge concern for Arle due to her relatively-short hair. We have no idea what happened to the files (and it's entirely possible they were garbage files the entire time), but I'd wonder what Arle's hair would be doing under the name "Jane" in an alternate costume for Joker. They could possibly just be building Arle off of Joker using Arle as a base, but the files suggested that this ponytail had already been modeled/textured/rigged/animated (which would be obviously weird this far in advance) and I also doubt Arle would be built off of Joker when more chibi characters like Toon Link and Ness exist.

It's a good thought, but it seems to me much more likely that this was some sort of scrapped (or maybe postphoned) Joker alt, especially as the files indicated it was for costume 7 in particular and Joker has his school uniforms as costumes 7/8...
Yeah, she ties her hair into a ponytail. Funny thing, the scrunchie she uses to tie her hair into a ponytail is actually her currently-missing dad's old scarf.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I dont think puyo puyo will get that BIG of a promotion if put in smash

Its still a very niche arcade puzzle game with colorful anime characters that not anyone can just pick up and have an easy time with.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I've seen those DLC templates floating around, and they're missing one thing: the inevitable tourney. Arle's could be "The Puzzle Fighters", starring everyone who's ever been in a puzzle-action game like Puyo Puyo: :ultbowser::ultdoc::ultjigglypuff::ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultpokemontrainer::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultpacman::ultwario::ultmario::ultyoshi::ultryu::ultken::ultsonic::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
People forgot Sakurai was responsible for the SEGA AGES ports on Switch
I feel like thats the most damning evidence there is for Arle or at least another Sega character

It outright shows he has some influence over Sega's decisions

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
People forgot Sakurai was responsible for the SEGA AGES ports on Switch
I feel like thats the most damning evidence there is for Arle or at least another Sega character

It outright shows he has some influence over Sega's decisions
Not particularly? I mean, Switch Ports are a literal meme now. I imagine they were going to do ports of classic games for Switch at some point, considering that they're like, the only company that really embraced the 3D Classics line on the 3DS

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Not particularly? I mean, Switch Ports are a literal meme now. I imagine they were going to do ports of classic games for Switch at some point, considering that they're like, the only company that really embraced the 3D Classics line on the 3DS
The call to bring it on consoles came directly from kamiya and sakurai's request

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
The call to bring it on consoles came directly from kamiya and sakurai's request
So first of all, it wasn't even only him pushing it. Secondly, again, just because people ask for a collection of ports to be brought over to consoles doesn't mean you weren't already doing that.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
So first of all, it wasn't even only him pushing it. Secondly, again, just because people ask for a collection of ports to be brought over to consoles doesn't mean you weren't already doing that.
His request only tells me he wants to add a Prominent classic SEGA character at some point
They're too iconic and influential to the industry and you know who fits those criteria?

Space Harrier
Alis Landale
Opa Opa
Joe Musashi
Hang On Man
The Outrun Flagman
Ecco the Dolphin
Galaxy Lady
Nei
Altered Beast
Solo Wing Dragon
NiGHTS
Hornet Car
Vectorman
Ristar
Sakura Shinguji
Max
Nigel
Asha
Agent G
Flickies
Pengo the Penguin
Axel Stone
Shou Amabane
Tillis
Gillius Thunderhead
Arle Nadja

Those are REAL authentic classic Sega characters thats been there from the start. None of that platinum games or atlus trash.
THE REAL MOTHER ****ING BLUE SKIES SEGA

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
His request only tells me he wants to add a Prominent classic SEGA character at some point
They're too iconic and influential to the industry and you know who fits those criteria?

Space Harrier
Alis Landale
Opa Opa
Joe Musashi
Hang On Man
The Outrun Flagman
Ecco the Dolphin
Galaxy Lady
Nei
Altered Beast
Solo Wing Dragon
NiGHTS
Hornet Car
Vectorman
Ristar
Sakura Shinguji
Max
Nigel
Asha
Agent G
Flickies
Pengo the Penguin
Axel Stone
Shou Amabane
Tillis
Gillius Thunderhead
Arle Nadja

Those are REAL authentic classic Sega characters thats been there from the start. None of that platinum games or atlus trash.
THE REAL MOTHER ****ING BLUE SKIES SEGA
So according to your points here, the next character that is #5 will be...

Alex Kidd

He's one that's been around the start-er-est, after all

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

Alex Kidd

He's the one that's been around the start-er-est, after all
Most of the sega arcade guys predate Alex Kidd by few years but id be down

Hopefully he wouldnt look terrifying like he does in the all star games

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Again, something I personally wouldn't have expected to ever happen, given this series' history with regional reskins/awful promotion for games that DON'T get the reskin treatment.
Yeah, for sure. It was also kind of bold to ditch the original "Puyo Pop" localization in favour of embracing the actual series name with Puyo Puyo Tetris, though I suppose that Puyo Pop never got enough advertising to be losing brand notority with the change haha...

I feel like in the case of Puyo Puyo, having a role in Smash BIGGER than Spirits/an AT is what will REALLY make or break the series' presence worldwide. Don't get me wrong, the Puyo games themselves are also most definitely a factor as well. It's just... I mean... Fire Emblem, anyone?
I mean, it's impossible to deny that Smash appearances boost sales; however, I wouldn't call it "make or break" by any means. If the series continues to sell unexpectedly well, they'll likely continue to localize them.

When I heard that some characters in Sorcery Saga could be considered 'knock-offs' of SEGA's cast of characters, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit intrigued. I don't know, maybe this was Compile (Heart)'s way of trying to show us just how well the Fever-era cast and Puyo 7 characters would work in a Madou Monogatari game? By the way, I should mention... the character I mentioned who is supposedly something of an expy of Feli? Apparently, she also has some traits of Witch in her as well, so...
That is very interesting. I would be down to see a proper collaboration between the two to get back to the series roots, including the new SEGA OC gang. And wow... They're, uh, not being subtle then, eh? I definitely have to check this out.

I have also fantasized about a Puyo Puyo dungeon-crawler by ATLUS's Etrian Odyssey team, as Sega now owns ATLUS. EO just always sells better when it's crossed over with something else and it'd be funny to see Puyo Puyo cross over with a franchise Madou Monogatari (apparently) helped inspire...

I don't know if we can really jump from "Kamiya and Sakurai encouraged Sega to port retro games on Switch" to "Sakurai must want retro games in Smash."

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice

Alex Kidd

He's one that's been around the start-er-est, after all
There's also Opa-Opa which I would be completely down for considering how out of the blue it would be.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Its happening guys! The 16th at 9 am est sakuari has a 35 minute livestream showing off our 5th character. And not a single leak or leaker has said how it is yet.

Last edited:

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
Its happening guys! The 16th at 9 am est sakuari has a 35 minute livestream showing off our 5th character. And not a single leak or leaker has said how it is yet.
Huh, that's the same day as the release SEGA AGES Tsu. Personally I don't think it's really a good idea to anticipate Arle just because of that though. DMC also has news coming that day. Not only that, but it could just be someone nobody could've ever guessed like Terry.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Huh, that's the same day as the release SEGA AGES Tsu. Personally I don't think it's really a good idea to anticipate Arle just because of that though. DMC also has news coming that day. Not only that, but it could just be someone nobody could've ever guessed like Terry.
Also, keep in mind that we've been getting random game news reveals over the course of today and yesterday, without needing a Direct.

And I'm pretty sure Sak's only counting down the days left until the reveal.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
SEGA AGES Tsu being on the same day as the presentation runs just a little deeper than that, my friend. Allow me to repost this theory I came up with:
1579016142554.png

D

Deleted member

Well, if it's Arle, i would be happy.... Dante would too, to make up for the trouble he had in PSASBR, but if BOTH, Things will go crazy....

Top Bottom