• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arle Nadja, Puyo Popper Extraordinaire pops into Smash Bros.! (New Management!)

Which Puyo protagonist would you prefer for Smash?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

I don't mind Arle as an Individual DLC fighter, i would take Doomslayer, Lloyd Irving, Ryu Hayabusa, DMC Dante, any Capcom rep, and other GOOD gaming characters that are NOT Offensive, but if Arle IS Fighter Pass fighter number 5, i would express my gratitude to Masahiro Sakurai for allowing a True Puzzle game rep for Smash, and will openly accept any new fighter, Even another Fire Emblem character, as long as the Next DLC fighters are GOOD CHOICES unlike those who Fans wanted for Memes.

D

Deleted member

I don't mind Arle as an Individual DLC fighter, i would take Doomslayer, Lloyd Irving, Ryu Hayabusa, DMC Dante, any Capcom rep, and other GOOD gaming characters that are NOT Offensive, but if Arle IS Fighter Pass fighter number 5, i would express my gratitude to Masahiro Sakurai for allowing a True Puzzle game rep for Smash, and will openly accept any new fighter, Even another Fire Emblem character, as long as the Next DLC fighters are GOOD CHOICES unlike those who Fans wanted for Memes.
I just wanted a female character for FP5 and she's of the biggest shots.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
So I decided to go and bring Puyo Puyo back onto that Wikipedia page. Let me know if I messed anything up!

As an aside, the Twitter accounts for Smash has been growing rapidly and we've become much more well known. I in particular have over 650 followers! While others are rocking in the thousands, I'm very happy with the growth of Arle's community and the fact that it has the Japanese on my side.

This has been an even wilder wild ride. I'm glad to have all of you around with me!

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
So I decided to go and bring Puyo Puyo back onto that Wikipedia page. Let me know if I messed anything up!

As an aside, the Twitter accounts for Smash has been growing rapidly and we've become much more well known. I in particular have over 650 followers! While others are rocking in the thousands, I'm very happy with the growth of Arle's community and the fact that it has the Japanese on my side.

This has been an even wilder wild ride. I'm glad to have all of you around with me!
Did someone remove it

D

Deleted member

I just hope Arle gets to fight in Smash... it would be sad if everyone gets to fight one another in Nintendo's most prestigious fighting game franchise but not Arle....

We have lost Lip since she is only a spirit and a Mii outfit, and i can't bear the sad feelings of Arle Not getting invited to the fighter roster, and it would be HEARTBREAKING if Stupid Unlikely characters got in over her..... Smash Ultimate is the ONLY Chance Arle could get in, the next installments may never be able to do this again unless a miracle happens!

Sans as a Mii outfit is just bad enough in my opinion because Sans is just Overrated and demanded for the Memes, and Terry Bogard and SNK didn't get that much praise from the Smash Fans....

It was saddening to see Lip's Piranha Plant pet suffer alone in Smash too....

OhNoItsKirbo

Smash Rookie
After about half a year of lurking on this thread, I’m here to say that I support Arle for Smash! Add me on that support list!

Never before have I wanted a character in Smash this much until recently. Ever since I delved into Puyo lore back in 2017, Arle quickly rose up on my favorite characters list, and ever since the fighter pass was announced and all the fighters that came with it, I knew Arle would make a perfect fit as a fighter in Smash. With the sudden push for Puyo Puyo in the recent years (especially this year with Puyo Puyo Champions on Switch and Puyo Puyo Tsu on the SNES online library, in which they could have added Kirby’s Avalanche instead), I’d say she has a greater chance of joining the fight than ever, dare I say she could end up being the 5th character on the fighter pass. While she’s not the most popular choice among the Smash community, I hope that if she gets in, it’ll inspire others to try out Puyo Puyo and increase the western fanbase.

TL;DR signs and evidence points to yes for Arle in Smash in my opinion. Slap me on that supporter list!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
After about half a year of lurking on this thread, I’m here to say that I support Arle for Smash! Add me on that support list!

Never before have I wanted a character in Smash this much until recently. Ever since I delved into Puyo lore back in 2017, Arle quickly rose up on my favorite characters list, and ever since the fighter pass was announced and all the fighters that came with it, I knew Arle would make a perfect fit as a fighter in Smash. With the sudden push for Puyo Puyo in the recent years (especially this year with Puyo Puyo Champions on Switch and Puyo Puyo Tsu on the SNES online library, in which they could have added Kirby’s Avalanche instead), I’d say she has a greater chance of joining the fight than ever, dare I say she could end up being the 5th character on the fighter pass. While she’s not the most popular choice among the Smash community, I hope that if she gets in, it’ll inspire others to try out Puyo Puyo and increase the western fanbase.

TL;DR signs and evidence points to yes for Arle in Smash in my opinion. Slap me on that supporter list!
And you're officially a part of the Puyo-popping experience! Congrats, OhNoItsKirbo OhNoItsKirbo !

amageish

Smash Master
GameXplain mentioned Arle again. Jon is her supporter and everyone else seems a bit more hesitant on her likelihood...

Also...

I completely missed the fact that there was a Puyo Puyo bossfight in Sonic Mania. That is neat!

D

Deleted member

I just want Arle more than anyone else, even if it costs Sora from Kingdom Hearts... i don't really want Sora to potentially ruin Smash.... and i DEFINITELY DON'T WANT SCORPION from Mortal Kombat because the series is too brutal and its fatalitjes are just too iconic to remove, and because toning down Scorpion's fatalitg would ruin his character... Just Arle, please....

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
From the RTC thread:
Oh thats the article?

thats old
He's not the creator of puyo puyo(i dont think the creator even works at sega), hes the current leader of the franchise.
Sega higher ups told him no when he asked to make a puyo puyo fighting game.
Whether or not Sakurai could change that is unknown.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Hey this is somewhat misinformation. It's been said elsewhere, but not here, but Hosoyamada is perfectly fine with this (he was the one who wanted it in the first place; ergo, he would be happy to allow Sakurai the use of Puyo content in Smash). He also isn't the creator of Puyo Puyo, like, at all. He's just the director of the games.

And, not only is it old, the people at SEGA who rejected this may not even still be there, or may have changed their minds. There's also the fact that Smash is not only a big money resource, but also, it's a lot less of a violent brutal sport as much as a whimsical slapfight. We also have no idea how long ago that cancellation was; could be anywhere between that year and back in 2016, or 15, or even 14. Hell, this could've been back in 2006, that's how long Hosoyamada has been in charge. (If Ayumi knows how long ago it was, I'd be more confident in this, or it may actually remain valid.)

Lastly, in Puyo Puyo Chronicle, the final boss of that game directly attacks the character Ally physically in the cutscene after they are defeated. While it isn't animated violence due to the nature of those cutscenes, it's much more violent than anything in the series before then (even in the Compile era). So they let that pass despite there being a supposed "ban on violence" in Puyo, which is kinda strange.

So thanks for the apology, but I doubt it's necessary. I'm pretty sure Arle is still in the game.

But anybody who says that she's not FP5 is probably right anyway, I always expected her to be post-pass once that hit. She would make sense (breaking a fan rule, being a disappointment relative to the earlier characters for most people) but honestly I just don't see it.
Is my take on this. Arle's fine.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
First time posting here, I got into Puyo early this year and I am optimistic for the series's chances at Smash. Since Ridrool already quoted what he had previously said about the Sega higherups situation, I think I'll do the same with my further anecdote on that matter
Honestly, regardless of violence issues, I'd feel Sega's desire to use Smash as a vehicle for Puyo Puyo promotion would override any desire to keep things "clean" within the series, if you ask me. It'd be nonsensical (and a bit heartbreaking) if they consider minimal violence a higher priority over using probably one of the easiest methods of getting series widely-known to their advantage. It makes even less sense when you look at some of the franchises Puyo has collaborated with through Puyo Puyo Quest; a collaboration with Neon Genesis Evangelion, a series widely known for its religious themes, gruesome imagery, and a notorious finale (End of Evangelion has one scene that I'd get infracted for talking about here, and literally has all but two of the cast essentially die in a cataclysmic event) is totally fine, but a collaboration with an unrealistic slapstick fighting game would be too far? I don't buy it.
Another thing I wanted to point out since making that original post is that the Quest crossovers with Bleach, Persona, and Evangelion all happened very recently (last year to be exact) and definitely long after the interview happened. As I said, all three of those franchises have prominent mature themes and content, and the fact that Sega was willing to let Puyo collaborate with those franchises despite that fact at the very least indicates that the higher-ups are willing to do things like that if promoting Puyo is a major incentive, and that standards in general may have loosened up. Smash Bros is nowhere near as violent as any of those series, and it has especially proven to be a successful way to bring franchises into the limelight. Sega's been pushing Puyo internationally as of late, and I feel that the higher-ups would be very willing to let Puyo content appear in Smash just from how much exposure the series would get from such a move, and doubly so if they're already willing to cross-promote with other popular franchises in spite of how unsuitable content-wise some of those franchises would be otherwise.

tl;dr Sega isn't that stupid. Smash promotion would help Puyo Puyo as a brand way more than it would hurt it, and Sega knows that such a move would be very profitable for them.

D

Deleted member

If SEGA can promote Puyo Puyo in the west AND Greenlighted Arle for Smash to fight there, Nintendo should try the same with Panel de Pon. Because Arle, in terms of puzzle game character, is like... Undefeatable! Not even Dr. Mario and Yoshi can stand a chance to Arle, and only Lip can Stop SEGA's Almighty Puzzle Menace!

Think about it... Mario is unstoppable, and Sonic attempted to defeat him back in 1991, which became one of the Important History in Gaming, the Nintendo vs. SEGA arc, and now that Mario and Sonic are good buddies, i think it's time for someone else to continue that legacy. We had the fun memories about the fight between the Red Plumber and the Blue Hedgehog, and now, Arle is in the lead of that legacy, and that there is currently no competitor to put a stop to Arle's reign of domination.

With Arle being announced fighter, and Lip also announced afterwards at the same time, it would be mind blowing!

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
https://youtu.be/TjfXVfTIFZY

So what do you guys think of this video for her potential moveset? Are the elemental spells too similar to Hero because I figured since Puyo Puyo started off as an RPG (Madou Monogatari), it could be a little easier to pick movesets from there but I’d like the puzzle aspect incorporated there somewhere.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Rate Their Chance's is doing Arle Nadja again - surprised no one gave this thread a call, though this is her fourth time around.

Man, now I'm just remembering how absent Arle was from RTC before. I'm sure other Fighters Pass characters felt the same, though (except for Banjo).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think Arle still has a shot, considering that more DLC Fighters are still coming to the game... How will Arle change the game once she is in the roster? We have never seen a fighter like her before....

D

Deleted member

I have nothing productive to say. I just found some art of Arle from this artist I follow, and she looks dope here.

EKnX7hhUEAUiMII.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Arle is far more fitting than Sora in terms of representation.... we ll know despite Sora being a great character, he would cause a LOT of problems more than Arle...

OhNoItsKirbo

Smash Rookie
The way I see things now is that there’s going to be 2 fighters revealed, whether it’s going to be at the VGAs or on a future Nintendo Direct, essentially pulling what they did at this year’s E3. They’re going to reveal a character that isn’t that well known worldwide to wrap up the fighter pass and then drop a popular fan request character as a potential start to a new fighter pass to keep the hype going. If that’s the case, I’d say Arle has a pretty good chance to be the 5th character, especially with some prominent leaks going around (but I’m taking those leaks with a grain of salt). If not, I’m still expecting her to be announced sometime down the road. With all the stuff happening with Puyo Puyo recently, I’d be surprised if she doesn’t become a fighter at this point.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
I feel like Arle is going to be a character who actually gets more and more likely as DLC continues

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Oh, I didn't throw my support in for Arle yet. Well count me in!

That said, there's a part of me that doesn't want her because I KNOW I would not be able to deal with players that have mastered her. I'm just expecting some crazy Pac-Man style trapper that will absolutely DESTROY me, lol. Someone perfect for Tea if he ever decided to get a secondary.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Oh, I didn't throw my support in for Arle yet. Well count me in!

That said, there's a part of me that doesn't want her because I KNOW I would not be able to deal with players that have mastered her. I'm just expecting some crazy Pac-Man style trapper that will absolutely DESTROY me, lol. Someone perfect for Tea if he ever decided to get a secondary.
And you're officially a member of the Puyo-popping experience, C cosmicB ! Congrats!

I have nothing productive to say. I just found some art of Arle from this artist I follow, and she looks dope here.

View attachment 248934
I kid you not, this art has really been making the rounds on Twitter today.

As it stands, I really don't think the next character is from a well-known third-party series. Between all the deconfirmations, and every character reveal pattern typically ending on a surprising curveball.
The way I see things now is that there’s going to be 2 fighters revealed, whether it’s going to be at the VGAs or on a future Nintendo Direct, essentially pulling what they did at this year’s E3. They’re going to reveal a character that isn’t that well known worldwide to wrap up the fighter pass and then drop a popular fan request character as a potential start to a new fighter pass to keep the hype going. If that’s the case, I’d say Arle has a pretty good chance to be the 5th character, especially with some prominent leaks going around (but I’m taking those leaks with a grain of salt). If not, I’m still expecting her to be announced sometime down the road. With all the stuff happening with Puyo Puyo recently, I’d be surprised if she doesn’t become a fighter at this point.
So I'm not the only one who's had this idea after all...

Calane

Smash Ace
There's "leaks" involving Arle going around? If so, I would very much like to see them.

Last edited:

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
Can someone please add me to the list of support? I think Arle Nadja would be a really dope choice as a DLC. She could bring a lot to the table and I could see her being extremely enticing! Plus, Puyo Puyo looks like a great game (despite me not having played it yet).

There's "leaks" involving Arle going around? If so, I would very much like to see them.
As far as I know, there are no current leaks pertaining to Arle. However, Bandai Namco was shot down as the 5th fighter by Vergeben a few hours ago:https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78213641?page=8

However, there's still possibility of:

Minecraft Content (Steve), Saber from the Fate Series, Arle Nadja, Dante, or Master Chief.

These characters haven't officially been deconfirmed and are still plausible.

OhNoItsKirbo

Smash Rookie
As far as I know, there are no current leaks pertaining to Arle. However, Bandai Namco was shot down as the 5th fighter by Vergeben a few hours ago:https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78213641?page=8
Yeah that's what I was referring to. The fact that a bunch of characters got deconfirmed by insiders recently and Arle isn't one of those characters still gives me hope for her being the next DLC fighter. Then again, the same can be said for other characters like Sora, Phoenix Wright, etc. We'll just have to see what happens over the next few days.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Can someone please add me to the list of support? I think Arle Nadja would be a really dope choice as a DLC. She could bring a lot to the table and I could see her being extremely enticing! Plus, Puyo Puyo looks like a great game (despite me not having played it yet).
And you're officially a member of the Puyo-popping experience, Prince777 Prince777 ! Congrats!

However, there's still possibility of:

Minecraft Content (Steve), Saber from the Fate Series, Arle Nadja, Dante, or Master Chief.

These characters haven't officially been deconfirmed and are still plausible.
Actually... from what I've heard (though I haven't been following this as much as you'd think), Dante was recently shot down as well.

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
And you're officially a member of the Puyo-popping experience, Prince777 Prince777 ! Congrats!

Actually... from what I've heard (though I haven't been following this as much as you'd think), Dante was recently shot down as well.
Dope! I'm excited to be a part of this experience with y'all. :shades:

And you're right about Dante being deconfirmed.
It's good to see these characters and companies being narrowed down at least.

Idk why, but I have a feeling that Arle won't be revealed at the VGA's; but instead as a post-pass fighter.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
And you're right about Dante being deconfirmed.
It's good to see these characters and companies being narrowed down at least.
Getting some serious AT Massacre flashbacks here...

Idk why, but I have a feeling that Arle won't be revealed at the VGA's; but instead as a post-pass fighter.
Realistically, that's also how I see Arle getting added to Smash Ultimate.

Your assumption isn't unreasonable. At the rate things are going, it doesn't seem like FP5 will be a third-party at all, let alone one from a famous company.
Now that you all are talking about this... me and NintenZ NintenZ have been discussing this for a bit, and I'm starting to be more and more convinced FP5 might just fellow SEGA character, Sakura Shinguji.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Yeah there’s a **** ton of evidence pointing in favor of none other than Sakura Shinguji being announced in just ten days:
Actually there’s a few reasons I think she could be as soon as next, I’ll go over them:
-Some of you may be aware of the Milk-BOATSU leak that described a female fighter with a curved weapon plad in a Japanese kimono but specified as not Reimu from Tohou Project that would be released as Fighter Pack 5, the description fits Sakura remarkably well and is really the only character it could fit since the only other one, Nakoruru, has been confirmed to be a Mii Outfit
-Probably the most damning piece of evidence is that Shin Sakura Wars releases the very NIGHT of the Game Awards in Japan, considering last year Smash’s release directly tied into the Game Awards and the show is simulcast across the world, it would absolutely make sense for there to be a tie-in for it especially since it’s releasing in the West the following year and could probably use the extra marketing boost
-According to multiple insiders, the character for FP5 is allegedly one that will be VERY surprising and one that not many people are speculating, Sakura definitely fits both of those which is why she’d make sense for that quota
-Somewhat miscellaneous note but Sakura would explain the missing Lloyd costume, both have copyrights tracing back to manga artist Kosuke Fujishima, who handles character designs for both franchises, as a result it would make sense if the costume was held off to release with Sakura as thematically it fits

Anyways that’s all I have, take it as you will. (Also if she is next I REALLY hope her trailer starts off with Segata Sanshiro telling you to play SEGA Saturn lmao)
Also important to note is that Puyo Quest (for it’s second time) and Bandori just had collabs with Sakura Wars, I’m ngl I would not be surprised if Sakura is announced at the Game Awards and it fits perfectly.

amageish

Smash Master
There's only one thing that doesn't add up: it was also said that the female character would be from a series that's already represented in the game. Sakura Wars, to my knowledge, isn't in in any form.
Did the Milk leak say that? It's been a long time since I've heard about it, but I definitely don't recall that being part of it...

What first-party character are you speculating about?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Did the Milk leak say that? It's been a long time since I've heard about it, but I definitely don't recall that being part of it...

What first-party character are you speculating about?
Well, the consensus on that particular hint was Shantae. Meanwhile, I think it could be the unexpected pick of Hikari from Shin Onigashima.

But I honestly don't know about any of this, really, not even Sakura. We're missing the full picture.

amageish

Smash Master
Well, the consensus on that particular hint was Shantae. Meanwhile, I think it could be the unexpected pick of Hikari from Shin Onigashima.

But I honestly don't know about any of this, really, not even Sakura. We're missing the full picture.
Sorry, was there a second female character hint? As I don't think Shantae would fit the Milk leak of a female kimono-wearer? As for Hikari, I think/know that she was a character in Captain Rainbow and this concludes my knowledge. Hopefully she'd be fun mechnically if she got in.

But yeah... Speculation ATM is weird-bordering-on-pointless, but it is interesting to see everyone's opinions!

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
There's only one thing that doesn't add up: it was also said that the female character would be from a series that's already represented in the game. Sakura Wars, to my knowledge, isn't in in any form.
Looking into that it seems to be a misquote as none of the attached sources on SSBWiki say that it’s from an actually represented franchise.

D

Deleted member

Once Arle becomes a fighter (And Amitie as a possible echo fighter), i would be a happy man... and if Ninrendo decided to extend that Puzzle gaming Representation by adding you know who i want as my number 1 hero in Smash, i would be a LOT Happier.

Sorry not sorry, i can't see Doomguy or Sora or Steve of Minecraft making me happy.

Top Bottom