• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arle Nadja, Puyo Popper Extraordinaire pops into Smash Bros.! (New Management!)

Which Puyo protagonist would you prefer for Smash?

• Total voters

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I'm near certain Arle is coming post pass is the thing. The "Already got Joker"-ists got to me, albeit Arle would kill a fan-rule and that's really freaking good. Still, I'm not quite sure on her, and I don't really believe she can make the pass anymore anyway.

But, I think living for that moment would be great.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I... think Jon may just support Arle? He's discussed the possibility of a Tetris block for a long time now and seemed to get interested in Arle pretty naturally during a Twitter discussion of potential female fighters. He's also a generally well-spoken person and obviously had his idea planned in advance.

I'm aware he has effectively leaked things before, but he hasn't done it recently and has also spoken out against the practice on the GameXplain podcast... I think that time may be behind him?

It is kind of odd that he and PapaGenos both did videos about her in a row, but I also think that she is just a cool and likely character who people want to draw attention to? It is kind of weird that we got Puyo Puyo over Kirby's Avalanche, so it is definitely worth discussing her and Puyo Puyo as an IP...
It’s possible, I’m not trying to feed into conspiracies and I’m sorry if I gave off that impression but something about the timing just made me think about it.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Well, I'd like to welcome cj. cj. , shammah121 shammah121 smash puffle smash puffle Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku and Superiorstar Superiorstar to the Puyo-popping experience! You're all officially Puyo-popping supporters of Arle! Congrats!

Well. Arle seems to have gotten two high-profile-ish mentions recently...

Jon Cartwright of GameXplain took on the role of a SmashTuber with a face-cam video where he discusses how the Tetris blocks are going to be spirits in Ultimate and how this doesn't, in his mind, mean they are not going to be playable further down the line. He then suggests that Arle would be a worthy alternative for a puzzle game rep...

Then, tonight, PapaGenos just casually ended a video discussing a variety of leaks that have been going around lately by arguring in favour of Arle as a likely candidate...

Maybe there was someone who brought Arle into the forefront earlier then this, but that's a lot of Arle discussion for a character who I have regularly had to explain and re-explain the existence of to my friends...
Surprised no one has noticed that John’s description on Arle is suspiciously extremely detailed despite this allegedly being an unscripted video.

I’ve shared my thoughts in the general thread but I want to point out that I’m almost 102% certain Jon has a wealth of insider knowledge going off of things he’s implied previously.

Another thing is that the things PapaGeno’s pointed out are also suspicious, she does fit the color theory and SEGA is pushing Puyo really hard worldwide.

I don’t wanna say anything yet, but when I have a hunch you better know something is up.
I... think Jon may just support Arle? He's discussed the possibility of a Tetris block for a long time now and seemed to get interested in Arle pretty naturally during a Twitter discussion of potential female fighters. He's also a generally well-spoken person and obviously had his idea planned in advance.

I'm aware he has effectively leaked things before, but he hasn't done it recently and has also spoken out against the practice on the GameXplain podcast... I think that time may be behind him?

It is kind of odd that he and PapaGenos both did videos about her in a row, but I also think that she is just a cool and likely character who people want to draw attention to? It is kind of weird that we got Puyo Puyo over Kirby's Avalanche, so it is definitely worth discussing her and Puyo Puyo as an IP...
I'm near certain Arle is coming post pass is the thing. The "Already got Joker"-ists got to me, albeit Arle would kill a fan-rule and that's really freaking good. Still, I'm not quite sure on her, and I don't really believe she can make the pass anymore anyway.

But, I think living for that moment would be great.
It’s possible, I’m not trying to feed into conspiracies and I’m sorry if I gave off that impression but something about the timing just made me think about it.
This is what I'm talking about. I don't want to give in to any conspiracies either, but there seems to be... a LOT of things seem to be lining up surprisingly close for Arle and Puyo Puyo as a whole. I mean, I don't doubt that Jon genuinely got into Puyo recently out of seemingly nowhere, but his unusually detailed spiel over her, alongside SEGA pushing the series worldwide even more than they did during Puyo Tetris' worldwide release 2 years ago just really makes me wonder.

Also, you all should see Twitter. It truly amazes me how Arle's gone from a literal 'WHO???' on sites like that during prior to Smash Ultimate's base game release to being genuinely speculated as a legitimate choice.

By the way, this is semi-unrelated, but I'd like to add that Jon is apparently Team 'Spirits DON'T deconfirm a character'. Just wanted to drop that little tidbit here.

amageish

Smash Master
No need to apologize! I just wanted to provide an alternate explanation. Plus, you aren't really going as conspiratorial as the "GameXplain are being purposefully fed information by Nintendo of America to prepare Nintendo fans for news that otherwise could be controvesial (ex/ the Animal Crossing Delay)" people haha.

I do think Arle is likely for the reasons Jon and PapaGenos laid out; I am just not convinced that they laid said reasons out for a better reason then "She seems likely."

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Count me in as a supporter. Puyo Puyo's pretty fun and Arle would be a great addition to a roster that's sorely lacking in some puzzle game representation.

D

Deleted member

Hoy, if I feel like being in a win win situation, put me there.

"I will what I see thorugh my scope."

smashkirby

Smash Hero
AreJay25 AreJay25 @Lesley Black Velvet

You two are officially members of the Puyo Popping experience! Congrats!

By the way, I have question for you all. How would you all feel if THESE were Puyo Puyo's Spirits?

Personally, I feel as if Raffina, Sig, Risukuma, Maguro, and Lagnus should be Spirits, Satan (Dark Prince) should possess Joker, the Mii Fighter outfits should include a Lagnus wig/headband and armor, but that's all just me.

D

Deleted member

AreJay25 AreJay25 @Lesley Black Velvet

You two are officially members of the Puyo Popping experience! Congrats!

By the way, I have question for you all. How would you all feel if THESE were Puyo Puyo's Spirits?

Personally, I feel as if Raffina, Sig, Risukuma, Maguro, and Lagnus should be Spirits, Satan (Dark Prince) should possess Joker, the Mii Fighter outfits should include a Lagnus wig/headband and armor, but that's all just me.
Any spirit is fine in my book.

Calane

Smash Ace
You know what? I'm going to do it. Put me on the support list, please.

I'm not sure how good her chances are, but I would be very happy if Arle joined Smash someday.

Arle Nadja.JPG

amageish

Smash Master

Are DLC characters able to used for DLC spirits that aren't from their own franchise? I'm unsure if they download the DLC characters onto everyone's systems or if you only get the files for their character if you buy them...

Anyway, Risukuma strikes me as obligatory as well, possibly with the Teddy Bear Mii Costume as the fighter? Otherwise, I'm somewhat torn as the list the Tumblr post has seems more realistic to me... I really like it's selection for the Classic Mode though!

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Are DLC characters able to used for DLC spirits that aren't from their own franchise? I'm unsure if they download the DLC characters onto everyone's systems or if you only get the files for their character if you buy them...
As far as I remember, no DLC spirit battle has used any DLC fighter beyond the one it's related to yet (Joker for the Persona ones, Hero for the Dragon Quest ones, etc.), but, to my knowledge, the DLC characters are downloaded to every system as part of the game updates. That's why anyone without the DLC characters can still go online and play against people using them. So they could have multiple DLC fighters on one DLC Spirit Board if they wanted to!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Veeery pleased! But Arle's moveset would have to be one that could feasibly suit Amitie. That most likely would mean that Arle's moveset wouldn't reference Madou Monogatari, and Carbuncle would either have to be replaced with Donguri Gaeru, have to be a part of Amitie's moveset, or not be a part of Arle's moveset. Otherwise, it would fall apart as Amitie becomes too distinct and would basically be unique. Since Arle has enough abilities of her own, even without Madou and Carby, it's unlikely she'd need Amitie's help like Simon and Richter.

Still, I've given my piece on what Arle's moveset would be, so... yeah. I think an Amitie Echo would be very pleasing in the way Richter was for Castlevania fans.
Or, Nintendo can just make Amitie as an Alt Skin, Bonus with Ringo and Ally too!

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Add me as a supporter please.

I was watching a Papagenos video today where he talked about signs favoring Arle's inclusion. I never gave this topic much attention because I never heard of character. Sorry.

Anyhow, his talking points have convinced me. What really caught my attention was the mention that Super PuyoPuyo 2 was included on the SNES for Switch online.

I know we have Doctor Mario, but we could use a Puzzle game rep who comes with a stage. Plus, she looks like she fits in.

shammah121

Smash Cadet
I don't know if you guys have talked about this, but how do you think Arle will look in Smash if she gets in?
I have been thinking about how they can make Arle a 3D model since she's never been in full 3D before----with two exceptions------
Also, what design do you think they would use? I think the Puyo Puyo~n design would translate PERFECTLY into Smash Ultimate, but I think her modern design is the most recognized at this point. The only issue I have with that one is that it might be hard to translate that design into 3D.

Abade

Smash Apprentice
I support Arle Nadja, she seems like an adorable and interesting character.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I don't know if you guys have talked about this, but how do you think Arle will look in Smash if she gets in?
I have been thinking about how they can make Arle a 3D model since she's never been in full 3D before----with two exceptions------
Also, what design do you think they would use? I think the Puyo Puyo~n design would translate PERFECTLY into Smash Ultimate, but I think her modern design is the most recognized at this point. The only issue I have with that one is that it might be hard to translate that design into 3D.
Like this
412qCD9n1pL.jpg
tumblr_ptryi52vGt1y4ielxo2_400.jpg

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Dreamking Dreamking Spongeboob Spongeboob Abade Abade You're all now official members of the Puyo-popping experience! Congrats!

Honestly? THIS. This is my ideal design for Arle in Smash. I feel as if her Yo~n design (or any of her heavily-armored Madou designs) would be the best use of her model.

D

Deleted member

I also support Arle Nadja! She'd be a very fun character and Puyo Puyo is my favorite Puzzle series!

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'll support too. Puyo Puyo Tetris is very addicting and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (AKA Puyo Puyo 1) is one of my all-time favorite Genesis games.

amageish

Smash Master
I'll support too. Puyo Puyo Tetris is very addicting and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (AKA Puyo Puyo 1) is one of my all-time favorite Genesis games.
That does make me wonder: How many people do you think would recognize Puyo Puyo by one of its branded localizations over it as Puyo Puyo? As that could result in some weird trailer reactions...

On one hand, I think that fact Puyo Puyo is its own brand is becoming more and more known, so most people would hopefully recognize it in broad terms - at least noticing the blocks are the same as the branded localizations and realizing it must be the Japanese franchise those games are based on. On the other hand, Jirad the Completionist did a video last week where he suggested that Dr Robotnik should be in Smash with his Mean Bean Machine as his final Smash, so apparently not everyone knows...

Looma

Smash Journeyman
That does make me wonder: How many people do you think would recognize Puyo Puyo by one of its branded localizations over it as Puyo Puyo? As that could result in some weird trailer reactions...

On one hand, I think that fact Puyo Puyo is its own brand is becoming more and more known, so most people would hopefully recognize it in broad terms - at least noticing the blocks are the same as the branded localizations and realizing it must be the Japanese franchise those games are based on. On the other hand, Jirad the Completionist did a video last week where he suggested that Dr Robotnik should be in Smash with his Mean Bean Machine as his final Smash, so apparently not everyone knows...
The Mean Bean Machine? As Eggman's potential final smash?
Great Eggman Robo didn't like that...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
@ShotoStar: Endgame and Sari Sari You two are officially members of the Puyo-popping experience! Congrats!

By the way, I have a question for everyone. Would you all feel... 'comfortable' with the idea of Arle being the final Fighter's Pass character?

amageish

Smash Master
@ShotoStar: Endgame and Sari Sari You two are officially members of the Puyo-popping experience! Congrats!

By the way, I have a question for everyone. Would you all feel... 'comfortable' with the idea of Arle being the final Fighter's Pass character?
"Comfortable"? I don't know what you mean by that, but I'd be very content. I think with the announcement of post-pass DLC already announced we will find the 5th character will get less blowback then they would have gotten otherwise, plus the fact people have been discussing her means that people are kind of primed for it? So, yeah, I'm down if it happens.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
"Comfortable"? I don't know what you mean by that, but I'd be very content. I think with the announcement of post-pass DLC already announced we will find the 5th character will get less blowback then they would have gotten otherwise, plus the fact people have been discussing her means that people are kind of primed for it? So, yeah, I'm down if it happens.
Yeah, I should have been more specific. What I meant was, do you all think it would be a good idea to have Arle be the one to close out the initial Fighter's Pass?

I mean, look at what happened in regards to Bayonetta being revealed as the 'true' final Smash 4 character. Don't get me wrong, I'm very much aware that Smash Ultimate's DLC period is apparently far from over, but Heaven forbid people start complaining that Arle got in before their favorites or whatever.

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, I should have been more specific. What I meant was, do you all think it would be a good idea to have Arle be the one to close out the initial Fighter's Pass?

I mean, look at what happened in regards to Bayonetta being revealed as the 'true' final Smash 4 character. Don't get me wrong, I'm very much aware that Smash Ultimate's DLC period is apparently far from over, but Heaven forbid people start complaining that Arle got in before their favorites or whatever.
Ahhhh. I think Arle would make some sense as a finale of the fighter pass. She'd be representing one of the largest genres of games that currently doesn't have a non-clone fighter representative. She'd be a female representative in the pass. She'd be on the larger end of the fighter pass characters franchise-sales-wises, beating everyone but Hero in terms of sales. Plus, I imagine her moveset would just be fun!

The big issue is that, after Terry, a lot of people seem to expect a more western-focused pick for the final character. I imagine that some salt will spray up in that regard, but also that salt would happen with a lot of characters... GameXplain and PapaGenos mentioning Arle probably would help her go down a bit better then she would have otherwise too, as it's harder to call someone a literal who if you've constantly seen her in Smash speculation thumbnails...

Also, if anyone here happens to be good at editing/writing Wikipedia articles, someone removed Puyo Puyo from the list of best-selling game franchises due to a problem with the citation. Sega themselves have listed it as their second-largest game franchise, so it definitely belongs somewhere on the list, even without counting Puyo Puyo Quest.

D

Deleted member

Ahhhh. I think Arle would make some sense as a finale of the fighter pass. She'd be representing one of the largest genres of games that currently doesn't have a non-clone fighter representative. She'd be a female representative in the pass. She'd be on the larger end of the fighter pass characters franchise-sales-wises, beating everyone but Hero in terms of sales. Plus, I imagine her moveset would just be fun!

The big issue is that, after Terry, a lot of people seem to expect a more western-focused pick for the final character. I imagine that some salt will spray up in that regard, but also that salt would happen with a lot of characters... GameXplain and PapaGenos mentioning Arle probably would help her go down a bit better then she would have otherwise too, as it's harder to call someone a literal who if you've constantly seen her in Smash speculation thumbnails...

Also, if anyone here happens to be good at editing/writing Wikipedia articles, someone removed Puyo Puyo from the list of best-selling game franchises due to a problem with the citation. Sega themselves have listed it as their second-largest game franchise, so it definitely belongs somewhere on the list, even without counting Puyo Puyo Quest.
I mean, Come On! Those Toxic Smash fans who wanted Western oriented gaming characters need to stop for asking for their favourite Western gaming characters and realize that Smash Bros is lacking cute females too... I would be laughing when Arle is announced and Confirmed DLC Fighter over the Unrealistic picks. I mean, people want Doomslayer, Crash Bandicoot, Tracer, Steve from Minecraft, and Fortnite default Skin, but those picks are too obvious and would kill the uncertainty. Arle on the other hand, would keep the uncertainties of Smash fighters. Why would i want to play as a Dark-grey-Gun man like the Doomslayer when i can play as a Bright-Colorful Puzzle Game Mascot like Arle?! Smash is a Japanese franchise, so the logical roster should have ALL characters except Banjo-Kazooie coming from Japanese video games.

D

Deleted member

I for one would be happy of the idea that Arle would close out the Fighters Pass. This does add the female character representation, which I have been discussing over and over. Plus, we got another puzzle game rep in the vein of Dr. Mario.

Then again, considering we already have our SEGA rep with Joker.,.,.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Over the past few weeks, I've been going and playing games/series I've been looking at for a while but haven't gotten to until now. Way back in March 2018, in my first post in this thread, I mentioned...
Never played much of Puyo Puyo - the extent of my time with the series is the demo of Puyo Puyo Tetris, and an hour of the Super Famicom entry once. I want to play it more in the future, though!
...And this past week was finally the time! I've been playing a few of the games - picked up Champions, and went and played Fever and 20th Anniversary for the DS. It's nice to finally get to know these characters after seeing them in this thread for so long, haha. The gameplay is a lot of fun, too, even though I'm pretty awful at it so far! The story modes for each character are silly and fun, too. These games are very pleasant!

Now that I'm actually familiar with the characters, my personal favorite so far has been Amitie, so it'd be cool if she was one of Arle's costumes! Arle is also great!

I agree with amageish amageish ! Sounds good to me! There's more DLC coming either way - even if Arle got in as #5, and someone wasn't pleased with it, there are more characters coming afterwards.

I mean, Come On! Those Toxic Smash fans who wanted Western oriented gaming characters need to stop for asking for their favourite Western gaming characters and realize that Smash Bros is lacking cute females too... I would be laughing when Arle is announced and Confirmed DLC Fighter over the Unrealistic picks. I mean, people want Doomslayer, Crash Bandicoot, Tracer, Steve from Minecraft, and Fortnite default Skin, but those picks are too obvious and would kill the uncertainty. Arle on the other hand, would keep the uncertainties of Smash fighters. Why would i want to play as a Dark-grey-Gun man like the Doomslayer when i can play as a Bright-Colorful Puzzle Game Mascot like Arle?! Smash is a Japanese franchise, so the logical roster should have ALL characters except Banjo-Kazooie coming from Japanese video games.
I think it should be a two-way street, though! Since most of my favorite games were made in Japan, I agree that I'd personally prefer Japanese characters for the most part. But it's good to remember that, even if a character doesn't interest you at all, someone out there is getting one of their dream characters! Doomslayer wouldn't be a super compelling choice for me personally, but people who have been fans of Doom for years would be ecstatic, just like we all would be for any of our top picks! I think it's best to be happy for each character's fans, whoever gets in. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think it should be a two-way street, though! Since most of my favorite games were made in Japan, I agree that I'd personally prefer Japanese characters for the most part. But it's good to remember that, even if a character doesn't interest you at all, someone out there is getting one of their dream characters! Doomslayer wouldn't be a super compelling choice for me personally, but people who have been fans of Doom for years would be ecstatic, just like we all would be for any of our top picks! I think it's best to be happy for each character's fans, whoever gets in. :)
Definitely. I mostly prefer Japanese characters, though Banjo was just the testing-the-waters phase for a Western rep. And some Japanese are gonna be"Hoes Mad" over Doomguy

amageish

Smash Master
Then again, considering we already have our SEGA rep with Joker.,.,.
Hey, the pass would be like poetry: it rhymes!

Anyway, I think they could double-dip with SEGA if they were so inclined, especially considering that Arle would only be the second character that is owned directly by them and is not from a subsidiary or co-owned with Nintendo....

I've been playing a few of the games - picked up Champions, and went and played Fever and 20th Anniversary for the DS. It's nice to finally get to know these characters after seeing them in this thread for so long, haha. The gameplay is a lot of fun, too, even though I'm pretty awful at it so far! The story modes for each character are silly and fun, too. These games are very pleasant!
Glad you've been enjoying it! It's definitely an acquired skill gameplay-wise, but I'm sure you'll get the hang of it. It's definitely pleasant and relaxing franchise...

Seconded! Supporting Smash characters and speculating about them is a lot of fun, but it's not fun if you need to tear down other people's most-wanted to do it. Arle is a wonderful character on her own terms; we don't need to compare her to Doomguy to recognize that.

D

Deleted member

Not really trying to stop Fans of Doomslayer, i would be fine if He is in too.... but Nintendo will also have to be SMART. Some western games are controversial, especially towards parents. These controversial games have something parents hate from their children playing these kinds of games. (Such as Mortal Kombat, Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto, and Fortnite). Sure we got Bayonetta, Metal Gear, and Persona, but those three games are in Skash because they are popular in Japan. We really should avoid games that are offensive to parents, and i don't want to hear random moms hating on Sakurai just because he adds Controversial game characters that parents hate.

D

Deleted member

Not really trying to stop Fans of Doomslayer, i would be fine if He is in too.... but Nintendo will also have to be SMART. Some western games are controversial, especially towards parents. These controversial games have something parents hate from their children playing these kinds of games. (Such as Mortal Kombat, Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto, and Fortnite). Sure we got Bayonetta, Metal Gear, and Persona, but those three games are in Skash because they are popular in Japan. We really should avoid games that are offensive to parents, and i don't want to hear random moms hating on Sakurai just because he adds Controversial game characters that parents hate.
Aside from values dissonance and stuff, I don't think the Japanese would really dig him, if the tweets are to be inferred.

D

Deleted member

I know.... but we aren't specific to Doom. And my actual reason to laugh about Arle's Smash fighter debut is to express my happiness about a Puzzle game representative. I have no intention to diss other characters, as long as the character picks are NOT Offensive to the moral audience.

D

Deleted member

I know.... but we aren't specific to Doom. And my actual reason to laugh about Arle's Smash fighter debut is to express my happiness about a Puzzle game representative. I have no intention to diss other characters, as long as the character picks are NOT Offensive to the moral audience.
*cries in Morrigan*

But no seriously we need more puzzle reps.

D

Deleted member

And when Arle began fighting against the whole Roster in Smash, Nintendo would probably want a Character from their library to rival Arle. Mario's rival is Sonic, and Arle is just, UNRIVALED! Sure, we have Dr. Mario and Yoshi, but those two are NOWHERE as near as being a Worthy rival to Arle! Sure, we have Tetris, but Tetris has NO characters beides the inanimate blocks to begin with! And the ONLY solution for Nintendo to rival SEGA in terms of Puzzle games AND a Roster Balance in Smash, is Lip from Panel de Pon! It would be a Horrible laughing insult if Fighter Arle is in a Duel against a Mii outfit, but still, Arle SHOULD Fight in Smash! Everyone else has to wait.....

D

Deleted member

And when Arle began fighting against the whole Roster in Smash, Nintendo would probably want a Character from their library to rival Arle. Mario's rival is Sonic, and Arle is just, UNRIVALED! Sure, we have Dr. Mario and Yoshi, but those two are NOWHERE as near as being a Worthy rival to Arle! Sure, we have Tetris, but Tetris has NO characters beides the inanimate blocks to begin with! And the ONLY solution for Nintendo to rival SEGA in terms of Puzzle games AND a Roster Balance in Smash, is Lip from Panel de Pon! It would be a Horrible laughing insult if Fighter Arle is in a Duel against a Mii outfit, but still, Arle SHOULD Fight in Smash! Everyone else has to wait.....
Dude you're so excited that what if I told you that Arle is FP5? You're gonna flip out. Note, I'm not jumping to conclusions. Just how do you feel.

Top Bottom