• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arle Nadja, Puyo Popper Extraordinaire pops into Smash Bros.! (New Management!)

Which Puyo protagonist would you prefer for Smash?

• Total voters

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
If we can get something as prestigious as that, and if we can have a bunch of Switch titles.... Joker be damned, I think it's our time. We're not next, we're part of the grander future.

Today has been absolutely wonderful for all Puyo fans, and with the above Champions update, it's only about to get better.

If Arle gets into Smash, I should also pay my respects to Tetris for making this possible.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
>Super Puyo Puyo 2 is among the SNES Online line-up
This is it. The franchise is officially vindicated.
And for anyone who's worried... NO, this is NOT Kirby's Avalanche. The ACTUAL Super Puyo Tsu game is on the service.

If we can get something as prestigious as that, and if we can have a bunch of Switch titles.... Joker be damned, I think it's our time. We're not next, we're part of the grander future.

Today has been absolutely wonderful for all Puyo fans, and with the above Champions update, it's only about to get better.

If Arle gets into Smash, I should also pay my respects to Tetris for making this possible.
ESPECIALLY after the news that MORE DLC will be added AFTER the 5th Fighter's Pass character, no less! With the way SEGA has been pushing Puyo in the West... well, it's like you said already. Joker be damned, Arle seems just a bit more likely for Smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can just smell the fresh breath of Puyo Puyo presence in Smash already when i saw the announcement!

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Yea im feeling pretty confident about Arle's chances rn

Also for those who missed out on the Mc Donald's ad:

amageish

Smash Master
Welp. I bought Sega Ages Puyo Puyo just to have Super Puyo Puyo 2 in the SNES Online line-up. This will bring me to four Switch Puyo Puyo games. This is starting to feel unnecessarily exorbitant.

In all seriousness, I am really happy about Puyo Puyo getting pushed more in the west! It's been great to see the franchise get some attention without having to toss another video game on top of it.

Frankly, I thought/think Arle would be possible in the Fighter's Pass, as Joker was billed as an ATLUS rep in spite of ATLUS being under SEGA now, but I definitely think she's both possible and, frankly, a pretty likely dark house as part of the extended DLC. I first introduced my friends to Puyo Puyo Tetris with the explanation "Now, this is partly to play a great puzzle game, but also partly to prepare you for an eventual Smash announcement" and I actually think it may come to be.

Now watch it never happen, as the only characters I support who are added are the ones I believe don't have any realistic chance...

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
Arle’s chance to receive an invitation is suddenly high! I am so happy about all the love the franchise just got with Super Puyo Puyo 2 and Sega AGES Puyo Puyo. I would love if they made the character based on Puyos themselves and have other characters as alts (I love Raffina and Rulue) or at least if Arle had Amitie as her Echo.

I want Arle and Carbuncle to join the banner so bad, literally the only third party i actually play.

The fact that they are pushing Puyo outside in Japan is really good for Arle, it would be weird if Puyo Puyo didn't receive anything in Smash after all the support it got in the ballot (at least in Japan), also i feel Puyo Puyo music is underrated and there is not a puzzle-game character yet, Puyo Puyo is the representation of competitive Puzzle games.

I totally support her✨

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Arle’s chance to receive an invitation is suddenly high! I am so happy about all the love the franchise just got with Super Puyo Puyo 2 and Sega AGES Puyo Puyo. I would love if they made the character based on Puyos themselves and have other characters as alts (I love Raffina and Rulue) or at least if Arle had Amitie as her Echo.

I want Arle and Carbuncle to join the banner so bad, literally the only third party i actually play.

The fact that they are pushing Puyo outside in Japan is really good for Arle, it would be weird if Puyo Puyo didn't receive anything in Smash after all the support it got in the ballot (at least in Japan), also i feel Puyo Puyo music is underrated and there is not a puzzle-game character yet, Puyo Puyo is the representation of competitive Puzzle games.

I totally support her✨
I agree big time friend! In fact, Arle's inclusion will lead to the revival of a Nintendo Franchise that will most definitely be Puyo Puyo's Biggest Rival YET! (You all know what i am talking about!)

D

Deleted member

You mean Panel de Pon or Dr Mario
It's Panel de Pon! (Dr. Mario is a good franchise but is NOWHERE Near the strong competitive vibe of Puyo Puyo (in my opinion)) If Arle made it into Smash Bros as a full fledged character, Nintendo has no choice but to include Arle's newest rival! (Lip!) In fact, i support both of them! Besides, Mario and Sonic are running out of ideas to boast each other in SSB! (Also i think it's best if Arle is in her classic design becaus3 SSB Is ab9ut gaming history.)

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
It's Panel de Pon! (Dr. Mario is a good franchise but is NOWHERE Near the strong competitive vibe of Puyo Puyo (in my opinion)) If Arle made it into Smash Bros as a full fledged character, Nintendo has no choice but to include Arle's newest rival! (Lip!) In fact, i support both of them! Besides, Mario and Sonic are running out of ideas to boast each other in SSB! (Also i think it's best if Arle is in her classic design becaus3 SSB Is ab9ut gaming history.)
The truth is that it would be great if they revived Panel de Pon

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In the meantime, the first step would be to include the original Panel de Pon proper on the SNES Online service. Put a definitive end to its Japan-only status and constant disguises. Honestly a bit worried that the safe route of Tetris Attack could be taken, though.

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I would kill a man for portable Panel De Pon, I can chill with that game for hours. Hopefully everyone's stopped fearing "girly" aesthetics in puzzle games now that Puyo's reach has considerably increased.

D

Deleted member

I would kill a man for portable Panel De Pon, I can chill with that game for hours. Hopefully everyone's stopped fearing "girly" aesthetics in puzzle games now that Puyo's reach has considerably increased.
And Bonus Rewards if Nintendo decides to announce a new installment of the franchise on the Switch, as well as adding Lip to SSBU, If Arle is announced as a SSB Fighter! More DLC Fighters are coming to the World of Smash, and Arle might be one of them!

And While they are at it, Nintendo should collab with SEGA to announce a Puyo Puyo x Panel de Pon crossover title as well! I played Panel de Pon on the SNES Emulator for a couple of months after discovering the franchise in 2019, but i have somewhat mastered Puyo Puyo, and the best way to announce Arle for Smash (And Amitie as her echo fighter) What other better way, than Surprising us with Lip as a Bonus fighter And a Puyo Puyo x Panel de Pon Crossover title?

The Battle of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has reached almost a year, and the fight isn't over! And until then, minna: PUYO PUYO SMA5H SHOBU!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Puyo is back on the menu!

With Puyo Puyo 2 finally getting an international release I'm hoping this is a good sign for wave 2!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Puyo is back on the menu!

With Puyo Puyo 2 finally getting an international release I'm hoping this is a good sign for wave 2!
Um, Sega 3D Classics Collection on the 3DS already had Puyo Puyo 2 (arcade or genesis, not sure).

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Thing is, as far as we know, Nintendo gets to choose which games go on sale and when.

So, why would they not pick Kirby's Avalanche for western regions if they wanted us to have that? It's in English, it's the one we got many years ago. Why not ask SEGA to put that up instead of Puyo 2 in America and Europe?

Unless something's coming that's a very big deal, like a Fighter in Smash, or even a Mii Costume or some Spirits. But I really think that Super Puyo Puyo 2 is the smoking gun here.

D

Deleted member

I swear, if Arle is Announced for Smash Bros (And Amitie as her Echo Fighter if it's possible), Puyo Puyo is going to spawn a toxic fandom.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
In the meantime, the first step would be to include the original Panel de Pon proper on the SNES Online service. Put a definitive end to its Japan-only status and constant disguises. Honestly a bit worried that the safe route of Tetris Attack could be taken, though.
It always seemed to me that it was a bit silly to worry that his aesthetics were supposedly too "feminine."

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Are we in the camp that an Arle Mii (especially a Sans one that's a model swap with music) is overall better than nothing? Or is it fighter or bust? Obviously fighter is the dream, but what's the vibe here?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Thing is, as far as we know, Nintendo gets to choose which games go on sale and when.

So, why would they not pick Kirby's Avalanche for western regions if they wanted us to have that? It's in English, it's the one we got many years ago. Why not ask SEGA to put that up instead of Puyo 2 in America and Europe?

Unless something's coming that's a very big deal, like a Fighter in Smash, or even a Mii Costume or some Spirits. But I really think that Super Puyo Puyo 2 is the smoking gun here.
The cat's out of the bag. Puyo Puyo is well enough known in the west now that pulling the wool over our eyes with franchise facelifts aren't effective nor necessary anymore.

Hey, it was the 90s. Everything needed to have attitude back then.

Even when it wasn't appropriate. :ultkirby:
Ever watch those old American Kirby commercials?
Are we in the camp that an Arle Mii (especially a Sans one that's a model swap with music) is overall better than nothing? Or is it fighter or bust? Obviously fighter is the dream, but what's the vibe here?
A costume would be pretty impressive, all things considered, and not that unexpected given the relative lack of concrete fighting material from Arle.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
The cat's out of the bag. Puyo Puyo is well enough known in the west now that pulling the wool over our eyes with franchise facelifts aren't effective nor necessary anymore.

Ever watch those old American Kirby commercials?

A costume would be pretty impressive, all things considered, and not that unexpected given the relative lack of concrete fighting material from Arle.
If those commercials were quite curious trying to give that rough look to Kirby

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Sans works for that because his design is very simple, and he doesn't have different facial expressions 99.7% of the game so his head can cover the Mii entirely. With Arle, it'd be a lot more like the traditional Mii's. I also don't think Arle would get a song without a stage.

I'm running way too many things and drawing up too much to not go all in on Fighter. I'd have accepted a Mii Costume, Assist Trophy or Spirit back in pre-release, but at this point if I'm paying money for her, I'll take the $5.99 to have her, and not her skin worn by a Mii. Not that I'll throw a ****fit should the latter happen, that's better than the diddly-squat we had base game and last time, but still. Though, I dunno if the Japanese would take that as well as the west for once (who wouldn't care)...

Besides, that means no Amitie Hat. The Amitie Hat was born to be a Mii Hat. It's just gotta be.

That would be a pretty reasonable explanation, except SEGA continually insists on giving the west Mean Bean at nearly any opportunity. In fact, the only time I can think of they didn't substitute Mean Bean for Puyo 1 was very recently, the SEGA Ages port on Switch, and even more recently than that was the Genesis Mini which subs out Puyo Puyo 2 for Mean Bean Machine (and Puyo 1, but still).

And on the Wii Virtual Console, you could not get Puyo 1. Only Kirby's Avalanche and Mean Bean Machine (as well as Puyo 2), though now that it's defunct it's a moot point. On the 3DS Virtual Console, we only got the Game Gear version of Mean Bean Machine, while Japan got not one, not two, not three, not four, but FIVE games that had Puyo Puyo involved. So I think the fact that we did not get Kirby's Avalanche as a substitute for Puyo Puyo 2 means something.

EDIT: Hey by the way there's a poll here. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd8-vylw-JH0u3_1-fJzMpOkYuJKHndvLB6uqdyuj9-iv1GrQ/viewform pretty interesting, huh? Made by a trinity of PapaGenos, Scott the Woz, and Sabi should this be accurate. Please vote Arle.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I take it you've never heard of the dungeon-crawling JRPG Puyo Puyo (as well as Arle and MOST of the Puyo cast) spawned from, Madou Monogatari, have you?

Looma

Smash Journeyman
For me, it's all or nothing. While acknowledgement is nice, when I say I want Arle in Smash, I mean I want PuyoPuyo to be in Smash with music and a gorgeously colorful stage. Mii costumes unfortunately don't do that, and I really don't think Arle would be any exception.

I think Sans is the special case due to Mr. Sakurai's personal connection with Toby Fox, and I respect that.

D

Deleted member

For me, it's all or nothing. While acknowledgement is nice, when I say I want Arle in Smash, I mean I want PuyoPuyo to be in Smash with music and a gorgeously colorful stage. Mii costumes unfortunately don't do that, and I really don't think Arle would be any exception.

I think Sans is the special case due to Mr. Sakurai's personal connection with Toby Fox, and I respect that.
I agree with you. Panel de pon only gets a Mii outfit for Lip (i think it's like identity theft) an item, a Kirby stone transformation, and a BGM, and we still didn't have 3 important aspects, Fighter, Assist trophy, and Stage (4 if Echo Fighter is announced) and Puyo Puyo? No acknowledgement of this glorified puzzle game title in the most prestigious Fighting tournament, so i am putting in my wish for Arle and/or Amitie becoming DLC Playable Smash fighters rather than nothing.

On the bright side, Arle's inclusion will trigger Nintendo to announce Lip from Panel de Pon making it into Smash Bros as a fighter, which will be beneficial for both Puyo Puyo and Panel de Pon.

But on the bad side, this is where everything goes downhill. Trust me, Arle making her way to SSB comes with a heavy price (No, she is not an expensive fighter to hire for your roster, that's not the point)! DLC Fighter announcement is LOCKED, it cannot be altered, and I SWEAR to myself that if Arle and/or Amitie are announced as DLC Fighters for the SSB series overall (Not just Ultimate) the internet is going to BLOW UP, The Fandoms in the SSB Community is going to become TOXIC, and the Puyo Puyo Fandom is gonna get TOXIC!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if it was a licence issue that's preventing Kirby's Avalanche from being released.

I would complain about not knowing what the menu options are in Puyo Puyo 2 but they never gave any of the NES games a flipping manual so it's not a new experince.

All that aside, the gameplay is in tact and that's all that matters in the end.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Oh, shoot! I just remembered that I've been reinstated as the owner of this thread again.

Perkilator Perkilator I'll add you to the support list, but is there anyone else who supports Arle for Smash that I haven't added to the list yet?

BTW, you're added! Welcome to the Puyo-popping experience!

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Oh, shoot! I just remembered that I've been reinstated as the owner of this thread again.

Perkilator Perkilator I'll add you to the support list, but is there anyone else who supports Arle for Smash that I haven't added to the list yet?

BTW, you're added! Welcome to the Puyo-popping experience!
Me!

Top Bottom