• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arle Nadja, Puyo Popper Extraordinaire pops into Smash Bros.! (New Management!)

Which Puyo protagonist would you prefer for Smash?

• Total voters

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Sorry I haven't posted in awhile here, but I'd do anything to see our girl Arle in Smash, she needs to complete the SEGA trinity! (Her, Sonic, and Joker)

Also bonus points if Sig gets anything in the form of Spirits or an Assist Trophy (I know he's very popular so that idea doesn't sound too farfetched), I just love the little guy so much!
Honestly, I see Sig (and pretty much the rest of the Fever-era and Puyo 7 characters) as Spirits. Actually, same goes for the Madou-era characters as well.

Aside from that, I see Satan as a stage boss and either Schezo (casting spells and slashing with his sword), Rulue (essentially Knuckle Joe, but with WAY more kicking rather than punching), or Lagnus (Schezo but with light attacks) as Puyo Puyo's AT character.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Honestly, I see Sig (and pretty much the rest of the Fever-era and Puyo 7 characters) as Spirits. Actually, same goes for the Madou-era characters as well.

Aside from that, I see Satan as a stage boss and either Schezo (casting spells and slashing with his sword), Rulue (essentially Knuckle Joe, but with WAY more kicking rather than punching), or Lagnus (Schezo but with light attacks) as Puyo Puyo's AT character.
Yeah I could see that, I feel like Schezo is the most likely to be an Assist Trophy, if it were anyone from the post-Compile era it'd likely be Sig but they'd all be Spirits most likely.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I'm also a bit of a believer in a Witch Assist, since she's quite the popular character, though I think Schezo is ultimately the most likely. The rest of the Chronicle cast is likely to show up on Arle's stage (if it's the Puyo 2 tower, we might see that game's cast minus Incubus, Scylla, Cockatrice and Lycanthrope instead, but when it comes to stages I'm now going firmly on either the Puyo Circus from PP4 or Primp Magic School from Fever onwards, those are locales that are significant).

...I wish there were more things to talk about, but we really need Joker to launch before we can actually go anywhere or make any definitive statements on the situation. Apparently Kazuma Kiryu won't be part of the pass I'd read back, which while sad for him and his fans and not something I recommend celebrating, ultimately is a bit of a help as our competition dwindles.

So, I have a question for anybody who'd care to answer: should Arle's special trait/gimmick be nothing, a chaining mechanic, or a Puyo mechanic? I feel like while I like the idea of her chaining the best, I've come around to the idea of her being a Puyo manipulator a lot more.

NintenNess

Smash Journeyman
Today, some interesting and rather exciting info has dropped in for western Puyo fans! Please note that Sega has not officially made an announcement about it yet, so take this as a grain of salt until further notice. According to Neo Magazine, Puyo Puyo eSports is coming to western territories as Puyo Puyo Champions! The magazine states we'll be seeing the release of Puyo Puyo Champions on May 7th. It's going to be released for PS4, Nintendo Switch, PC, and Xbox One. Suzu posted a thread about it on Twitter and showed some screenshots of the magazine covering Puyo Puyo Champions.

At the same day, an unknown Twitter user, who goes by the name of VGLeaks, released a leaked Nintendo Switch trailer of Puyo Puyo Champions. The leaked trailer confirmed that Puyo Puyo Champions will have a English dub for its release. This also includes Puyo Quest characters(Hartman, Hed, etc.) and Puyo characters that will receive an English voice for the first time! The trailer said that the game is "available now," which means the trailer for Puyo Puyo Champions would be made around its release date.

Late Update: It's officially happening! Please refer to post #526 for the trailer below!

Last edited:

warelander

Smash Journeyman
I have to say, as much as I find eSports to be a really unexiting title for me as a longtime fan (still gonna get it to support the series) I'm glad this is a thing, between this and the SEGA AGES Puyo ports the west is currently promised to see all the new Puyo releases which is something I never thought I'd see and if it does well enough then this might be the constant, which is what we all want.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
https://heroesrequests.sega.com/s3/SEGA-Heroes-character-requests

Sega released a survey for whatever character you want from their mobile crossover game Sega Heroes

Puyo Puyo has an entry, so show your support. In fact, a surprising number of Sega IPs going from obscure to well known are on this, Even obscure Atlus characters. they did their research. Not only that, but the likes of Sukiyapodes (of all people) is on that list. Mind you, he hasn't appeared in a game since Puyo Puyo BOX.

A more official announcement:

A part of me feels a tad… conflicted here. Like, I’m excited that Puyo Puyo’s getting yet another game localized AND it’ll be about as high-profile as Puyo Tetris.

*Not to mention that Lagnus, Seriri, Harpy, AND Ally will (most likely) FINALLY get English VA’s! (Wonder if Ray Chase will voice Lagnus…)

On the other hand, Puyo Champions/Puyo eSports seems to be meant more for the competitive/long-standing Japanese Puyo crowd (25+ years could warrant something like this) and I don’t know if the Western side of the fandom can be considered ‘big enough’ to warrant THIS kind of game getting localized compared to the likes of something like 20th Anniversary or Puyo Chronicles.

All of this being said, I still do greatly appreciate the fact that a new Puyo game is getting localized at all (Hey, it’s better than NO new Puyo games in the west at all, right?).

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
https://heroesrequests.sega.com/s3/SEGA-Heroes-character-requests

Sega released a survey for whatever character you want from their mobile crossover game Sega Heroes

Puyo Puyo has an entry, so show your support. In fact, a surprising number of Sega IPs going from obscure to well known are on this, Even obscure Atlus characters. they did their research. Not only that, but the likes of Sukiyapodes (of all people) is on that list. Mind you, he hasn't appeared in a game since Puyo Puyo BOX.

A part of me feels a tad… conflicted here. Like, I’m excited that Puyo Puyo’s getting yet another game localized AND it’ll be about as high-profile as Puyo Tetris.

*Not to mention that Lagnus, Seriri, Harpy, AND Ally will (most likely) FINALLY get English VA’s! (Wonder if Ray Chase will voice Lagnus…)

On the other hand, Puyo Champions/Puyo eSports seems to be meant more for the competitive/long-standing Japanese Puyo crowd (25+ years could warrant something like this) and I don’t know if the Western side of the fandom can be considered ‘big enough’ to warrant THIS kind of game getting localized compared to the likes of something like 20th Anniversary or Puyo Chronicles.

All of this being said, I still do greatly appreciate the fact that a new Puyo game is getting localized at all (Hey, it’s better than NO new Puyo games in the west at all, right?).
That magazine article mentions hoping that people trying this 10$ game will then be interested in buying Puyo Puyo Tetris... but I can't help but feel it'll be more the other way around, with more people initially drawn to the latter for the Tetris part and discovering an appreciation for Puyo that way. Also can't forget the exposure given by Sonic Mania's return of the Mean Bean Machine.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Seriri? Who's that?

All I see is Serilly. (I'm actually not the happiest camper that eSports was what Champions ended up being, since the whole negligible single player content thing kinda goes against the thing westerners loved about Puyo Puyo Tetris, but to offset that I'll probably triple dip). I expect Serilly to sound wonderful, but there is the option for Japanese voices (it seems to be in all versions this time) as well as several more languages by text. I think they want this to be the ultimate Puyo experience for competitive play, and to be the start of the major western Puyo scene. Good night, sweet Puyo Vs 2, we won't need you anymore.

Ah, seeing the Puyo fandom invigorated is very, very beautiful. Now to wait and see if we can get our actual thread to happen, or if it's gonna happen.

NintenNess

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the Puyo English community went nuts once the official announcement made, and I'm glad on most if not everyone I seen in the community is quite ecstatic about the Western release! I agree there should be a seperate thread about Puyo Puyo Champions if that's needed.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I'm definitely getting PPC on release, and only $10 is perfect "Why the hell wouldn't you buy this?" territory. Only thing that sucks is the lack of playable Feli (she was my main on PPT along with Draco).

Notshane

Smash Ace
Harpy and Seriri are characters in this one, so I can finally start playing with the Puyo Puyo characters I enjoyed the most. Would have loved for Kikimora to be there too, but we can't get everything we want. Among the new characters then, Penglai looks the most interesting to mess around with, though the other Quest characters don't look as original and Ally looks pretty basic, but may wind up being in every future Puyo Puyo game going forward since she was previously a main character, so I will have to get over that. Feli being absent is really sad, actually. I enjoyed her a lot.

Honestly, considering how much they reuse assets, I find it rather pitiful we don't have a huge roster of playable characters by this point. I hear they reuse voice clips a lot, so if they have recordings done, doing new poses for them would not be that hard at all and they could just retain their play styles. Hell, post-20th Anniversary art is so comparable now to the main series they could even reuse previously done artwork. I'm sure you other Feli fans agree you would not care seeing her Tetris art reused if it meant you could play as her in Champions.

I feel like SEGA needs an "Ultimate" for the Puyo Puyo series. Every single character in the series playable that has ever been a playable character or opponent. And every game mode. I would legitimately pay full retail for a physical release of that.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
So this new theory's been making the rounds called Costume Theory. Essentially Joker brought back the Tails and Knuckles costumes for what seemed to be no reason (previously, all third party Mii Costumes were cut), and I think that's because Atlus and Sega (the one with the SEGA logo) are connected through Sega Sammy. People have speculated that this could mean the return of other Mii Costumes from other companies coming with a representative from each. I bring this up because we might actually be legitimately likely if true, since there's some leftover Sega Mii Costumes from last time. In particular, Akira and Jacky's Mii Costumes are still gone, which may be a big, big boon to our chances if Mii Costume theory proves accurate. (Albeit, most of the characters I want are screwed over by it [see Crash, Frisk, Banjo, and basically every first party], and I don't even believe it too much, if at all. But it's food for thought.)

Aside from that, voice clips have only been re-used in eSports/Champions. Every game rerecords the voice clips, even though it's a massive waste of money to do so outside of because they want to change the dialogue or to update the character's voice. But yeah, even a 30 roster game would be better than that godforsaken 24 character limit again, let alone something like 60 characters (hey, if it's a multiple of 24, it'd be okay, right?). I'm buying Champions on Steam, Switch, and PS4 because I want this series to go somewhere in the west, which will mean that in either future DLC, or the next game (if there's newcomers), we stand a pretty good chance at least, even if we can't approach near-lock/open secret levels (think Inklings or Ken tier) of likelihood. Besides, if we become popular first, then this will just be a milestone instead of a miracle. But honestly, I'd take either.

I feel like I'm going in circles, since there's not much left to talk about when it comes to what Arle in Smash would be like. Her moveset is extremely diverse, and all but guaranteed to stand out thanks to either the Puyo or chaining gimmick, she has plenty of stage potential, music potential, and spirit potential. There's just not much left to discuss that hasn't been already... unfortunate.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Harpy and Seriri are characters in this one, so I can finally start playing with the Puyo Puyo characters I enjoyed the most. Would have loved for Kikimora to be there too, but we can't get everything we want. Among the new characters then, Penglai looks the most interesting to mess around with, though the other Quest characters don't look as original and Ally looks pretty basic, but may wind up being in every future Puyo Puyo game going forward since she was previously a main character, so I will have to get over that. Feli being absent is really sad, actually. I enjoyed her a lot.

Honestly, considering how much they reuse assets, I find it rather pitiful we don't have a huge roster of playable characters by this point. I hear they reuse voice clips a lot, so if they have recordings done, doing new poses for them would not be that hard at all and they could just retain their play styles. Hell, post-20th Anniversary art is so comparable now to the main series they could even reuse previously done artwork. I'm sure you other Feli fans agree you would not care seeing her Tetris art reused if it meant you could play as her in Champions.

I feel like SEGA needs an "Ultimate" for the Puyo Puyo series. Every single character in the series playable that has ever been a playable character or opponent. And every game mode. I would legitimately pay full retail for a physical release of that.
I'll be a little disappointed if the 30th anniversary game isn't everything you just described.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
If you guys haven't been living beneath a rock, you've probably heard about the new names of much of the cast.

Seriri, as mentioned before, has been changed to Serilly.
  • Lagnus is now Ragnus.
  • Hartmann is spelled with two n's now.
  • Tarutaru lost both the u's and became Tartar.
  • Oshare Bones is now Dapper Bones. I will continue to refer to him as Oshare regardless.
  • The Frankensteins are now Frank & Stein.
  • Yu and Rei swap places in name order, for Rei & Yu.
  • All of the " Black" characters have new prefixes: Dark Sig, Evil Popoi, and Nega Kikimora.
  • White Feli is now Angelic Feli.
  • Yellow Satan is now Onesie Prince.
  • Alter Ecolo is the new name of Unusual Ecolo.
  • Jarne is Jaan, and last and probably least, Hohow Bird is now just Hoho.
  • Actually, I've saved the most infamous for last: Strange Klug is now Possessed Klug.
I put these in spoilers because the game technically isn't out, but I have it early thanks to a contest and more imperatively, this seems to be the main names for each of them. There's also Quest renames but I couldn't tell you them off the top of my head.

Anyway Champions is great, but... that lack of single player content early on is gonna sting for getting new players into the game. And I'm very worried about how popular the game will be with reviewers who likely won't have a reason to care about it over PPT. And as somebody interested in the characters, story and lore of the series/franchise, Champions is quite the bit of a let down in that regard, totally forgoing those aspects. Especially since Puyo Pros still roam online and they will make mincemeat of anybody who gets in without practice, when the only things to practice on are Core AI's or other people.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If you guys haven't been living beneath a rock, you've probably heard about the new names of much of the cast.

• Lagnus is now Ragnus.
  • Oshare Bones is now Dapper Bones. I will continue to refer to him as Oshare regardless.
  • All of the " Black" characters have new prefixes: Dark Sig, Evil Popoi, and Nega Kikimora.
  • Actually, I've saved the most infamous for last: Strange Klug is now Possessed Klug.
I put these in spoilers because the game technically isn't out, but I have it early thanks to a contest and more imperatively, this seems to be the main names for each of them. There's also Quest renames but I couldn't tell you them off the top of my head.

Anyway Champions is great, but... that lack of single player content early on is gonna sting for getting new players into the game. And I'm very worried about how popular the game will be with reviewers who likely won't have a reason to care about it over PPT. And as somebody interested in the characters, story and lore of the series/franchise, Champions is quite the bit of a let down in that regard, totally forgoing those aspects. Especially since Puyo Pros still roam online and they will make mincemeat of anybody who gets in without practice, when the only things to practice on are Core AI's or other people.
A rich, funny cast & story aren't going to convince players to like playing Puyo Puyo. You still have to be good enough to cope with advanced AI and/or high drop speeds to finish most campaigns. In fact, take away that dressing up and you'll see that at the end of day, all you're doing is playing with AI over and over before moving on to playing with humans; exactly what Champions lets you do.

Puyo Puyo is an arcade game at heart and either you have to the drive to improve at it to go for high scores/better beat other players or you don't. Trying to appeal to love of the characters is counterproductive because a) the west has had much less exposure to them, and b) they may just settle for watching Let's Plays or other Youtube movies of the game's stories if they can't be bothered to learn how to play. Not exactly a great sales strategy.

If reviewers insist on comparing this 10$ budget title unfavourably to Puyo Puyo Tetris... well, that's still a win for the series if the latter gets more sales and awareness from it.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So this new theory's been making the rounds called Costume Theory. Essentially Joker brought back the Tails and Knuckles costumes for what seemed to be no reason (previously, all third party Mii Costumes were cut), and I think that's because Atlus and Sega (the one with the SEGA logo) are connected through Sega Sammy. People have speculated that this could mean the return of other Mii Costumes from other companies coming with a representative from each. I bring this up because we might actually be legitimately likely if true, since there's some leftover Sega Mii Costumes from last time. In particular, Akira and Jacky's Mii Costumes are still gone, which may be a big, big boon to our chances if Mii Costume theory proves accurate. (Albeit, most of the characters I want are screwed over by it [see Crash, Frisk, Banjo, and basically every first party], and I don't even believe it too much, if at all. But it's food for thought.)
Sorry for being late... regarding Costume Theory, it doesn't necessarily screw characters from other companies. See, Konami never got Mii Costumes, as they were absent from Smash 4. To get some, either they would need another newcomer (which I doubt, given the return of Snake, the introduction of the Belmonts and their other high-requested character, Bomberman, being an AT) or get standalone costumes.

With Joker representing Sega, we only have three more companies. Namco, Capcom and Square Enix. Assuming we get one newcomer + costumes from each (a big 'if' already), that would still leave a spot open for a third-party from another company.

Also, a reminder: back in Smash 4 DLC, we only got Capcom, Square and Sega newcomers with costumes. The Namco ones were standalone. So there's that.

Notshane

Smash Ace
Champions is great! Still annoyed you can't remap every button individually (Y to Left and B to Right someday), but I am having a great time. Finally get to play some characters that have been abandoned for too long, though I do wonder exactly how hard it would be for them to just make a lot of characters playable. Must be the voice actors, primarily, because I highly doubt the artwork takes a while.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Champions is great! Still annoyed you can't remap every button individually (Y to Left and B to Right someday), but I am having a great time. Finally get to play some characters that have been abandoned for too long, though I do wonder exactly how hard it would be for them to just make a lot of characters playable. Must be the voice actors, primarily, because I highly doubt the artwork takes a while.
Schezo sounds different from Puyo Puyo Tetris, I know that much.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I've been spreading the word around a bunch of discord servers, but everybody who owns Champions: I HIGHLY recommend taking the time to vote in the survey that's available near where the manual for the game is! It has a bunch of things, but the one that stands out the most is EASILY the one where you get to say who'd you like to see in future games. If you own the steam version, where reportedly there is no manual, then here is a link to it for you. It's been said that you should only fill it out if you do own the game.

Both times I voted (once for PS4, once for Switch), I went with Skeleton T, Yu & Rei, Doppelganger Arle, and Archan if that's still her name. I also voted for Tartar on Switch but not PS4.

Now, onto my next point... which I forgot! But I'm going to try to remember what it was. It had something to do with Smash... I'll try to think about what it was later.

But now, I have a THIRD point! It is with a happy heart that I announce that the Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary English Translation Patch is finally out now! It's been some time since I first joined in, at that point there was a lot done but at the same time a lot left. I'm happy to have helped, in any way, with the project. Please note that this translation is NOT affiliated with the work of Flare and Keiko! It is only the Precise Museum's work. Also, for various reasons, the English names used are the old ones. In particular, the 20th alts with new names are referred to by the old ones. We didn't have the time or the concern to really bother with this.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

• Lagnus is now Ragnus.

Just want to add that you missed Demon Servant, who has been renamed 'Demiserf'. I imagine Demon Servant is simply going through the same issues Satan has to go through when it comes to localized Puyo games. SEGA simply doesn't want to attract any unwanted negative attention from religious folks.

I've been spreading the word around a bunch of discord servers, but everybody who owns Champions: I HIGHLY recommend taking the time to vote in the survey that's available near where the manual for the game is! It has a bunch of things, but the one that stands out the most is EASILY the one where you get to say who'd you like to see in future games. If you own the steam version, where reportedly there is no manual, then here is a link to it for you. It's been said that you should only fill it out if you do own the game.

Both times I voted (once for PS4, once for Switch), I went with Skeleton T, Yu & Rei, Doppelganger Arle, and Archan if that's still her name. I also voted for Tartar on Switch but not PS4.

Now, onto my next point... which I forgot! But I'm going to try to remember what it was. It had something to do with Smash... I'll try to think about what it was later.

But now, I have a THIRD point! It is with a happy heart that I announce that the Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary English Translation Patch is finally out now! It's been some time since I first joined in, at that point there was a lot done but at the same time a lot left. I'm happy to have helped, in any way, with the project. Please note that this translation is NOT affiliated with the work of Flare and Keiko! It is only the Precise Museum's work. Also, for various reasons, the English names used are the old ones. In particular, the 20th alts with new names are referred to by the old ones. We didn't have the time or the concern to really bother with this.
Oh, man! I really want to fill this survey, but I don't have Champions right now... I wonder though. that portion where you can vote for who you want to see in future games... are Compile-created characters who haven't returned via Quest yet (i.e. Chico's pet dragon, Choppun, Vampire, Nomi, Water Elemental, Doppel Schezo, Dark Witch, etc.) fair game?

Also, congrats to you all for finally finishing the English patch to Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary!

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
I didn't play champions but I completed the survey (I admit I BS'd my way through some of the survey) just because I want Sega to know I love the Puyo Puyo series (Been hooked since I played PPT) and want them to bring over more of the games. I really want this franchise to thrive, so I throw some support behind Arle ^_^

warelander

Smash Journeyman
The survey is rather interesting, especially since it seems the japanese version had one as well. SEGA actively reaching out to fans for what they want in future games is very interesting, especially in combination with the previous general SEGA survey where Puyo had it's own section and which I bet is what convinced them to release western merch for the series, since interest in that was one of the questions at hand.

In terms of characters I asked for Doppelganger Arle, Strange Klug and Rafisol. I don't have high hopes for the first two having any future, but I really hope they won't throw Rafisol into the bin, especially with how little she has gotten since Chronicle came out.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I didn't play champions but I completed the survey (I admit I BS'd my way through some of the survey) just because I want Sega to know I love the Puyo Puyo series (Been hooked since I played PPT) and want them to bring over more of the games. I really want this franchise to thrive, so I throw some support behind Arle ^_^
The survey is rather interesting, especially since it seems the japanese version had one as well. SEGA actively reaching out to fans for what they want in future games is very interesting, especially in combination with the previous general SEGA survey where Puyo had it's own section and which I bet is what convinced them to release western merch for the series, since interest in that was one of the questions at hand.

In terms of characters I asked for Doppelganger Arle, Strange Klug and Rafisol. I don't have high hopes for the first two having any future, but I really hope they won't throw Rafisol into the bin, especially with how little she has gotten since Chronicle came out.
Out of curiosity, do either of you have Champions? I don't have it, but I REALLY want to take this survey. You know, to show my support of bringing more of the series to the West and all.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Out of curiosity, do either of you have Champions? I don't have it, but I REALLY want to take this survey. You know, to show my support of bringing more of the series to the West and all.
I wanna buy it but I wanna be careful with my money until next Paycheck. There's no single player which is a bit of a turnoff for me but I still want to support the franchise

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I wanna buy it but I wanna be careful with my money until next Paycheck. There's no single player which is a bit of a turnoff for me but I still want to support the franchise
I do, that's how I took the survey to begin with
So, if one were to take the survey right now on their PC and they don't currently own Champions... would that pose a problem?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You can play versus AI, in single matches and in endurance sessions.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I suck at Puyo Puyo but the cast of characters is what really pulled me in.

I give my full support !

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
So, if one were to take the survey right now on their PC and they don't currently own Champions... would that pose a problem?
I don't understand why it would. I mean, it's not like the survey unleashes a spyware on your computer that actively searches for Puyo Puyo

Notshane

Smash Ace
I just had a very strong realization. All of the characters in eSports use their artwork from Quest. If so, then if that game also has audio clips for the characters since they appeared in Quest as playable, what would have stopped them from first adding the removed characters from Tetris, such as Feli, who is absent from eSports, despite having artwork from Quest readily available. I was baffled after I first noticed Arle just uses a slightly modified version of her Quest artwork and the tradition carried over to every character.

If they wanted to, they could just use all of the artwork from Quest to assure every character that has appeared playable and as an enemy could be on the roster, since I imagine they all have voice clips in Quest to work with if they're reusing the artwork already.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I just had a very strong realization. All of the characters in eSports use their artwork from Quest. If so, then if that game also has audio clips for the characters since they appeared in Quest as playable, what would have stopped them from first adding the removed characters from Tetris, such as Feli, who is absent from eSports, despite having artwork from Quest readily available. I was baffled after I first noticed Arle just uses a slightly modified version of her Quest artwork and the tradition carried over to every character.

If they wanted to, they could just use all of the artwork from Quest to assure every character that has appeared playable and as an enemy could be on the roster, since I imagine they all have voice clips in Quest to work with if they're reusing the artwork already.
This may be totally off-base, but aren't character choices more than aesthetic in Fever? Phrases like Uses Small Chains or Aims For Fever seem to indicate bonuses (or even penalties) for certain actions, and more importantly that line of symbols that determines the lineup order of special puyos the character gets (except Arle who only gets normal ones). That may be a tough thing to come up with for every character.

warelander

Smash Journeyman
This may be totally off-base, but aren't character choices more than aesthetic in Fever? Phrases like Uses Small Chains or Aims For Fever seem to indicate bonuses (or even penalties) for certain actions, and more importantly that line of symbols that determines the lineup order of special puyos the character gets (except Arle who only gets normal ones). That may be a tough thing to come up with for every character.
Even then the SEGA games have a history of newer characters borrowing dropsets or AI from absent ones, like the PP7 newcomers in their debut game had borrowed dropsets and AI before getting unique ones in 20th, the Tetris characters besides Tee all borrow their AI for Puyo from absent characters and Ally and Rafisol in Chronicle borrow Oshare's and Zoh Daimoh's dropsets respectively.

They could just double down on that and heck, there's even cases like Strange Klug who could just easily use his Fever 2 dropset and that would already help to make for a larger roster, but instead they cut down on their own characters in favor of Quest characters that aren't even especially popular with the Quest crowd, because that makes sense.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Even then the SEGA games have a history of newer characters borrowing dropsets or AI from absent ones, like the PP7 newcomers in their debut game had borrowed dropsets and AI before getting unique ones in 20th, the Tetris characters besides Tee all borrow their AI for Puyo from absent characters and Ally and Rafisol in Chronicle borrow Oshare's and Zoh Daimoh's dropsets respectively.

They could just double down on that and heck, there's even cases like Strange Klug who could just easily use his Fever 2 dropset and that would already help to make for a larger roster, but instead they cut down on their own characters in favor of Quest characters that aren't even especially popular with the Quest crowd, because that makes sense.
Wouldn't this have just increased the cost of the game for no real benefit? The chances of people knowing that many characters outside the most die-hard of fans is extremely low.

D

Deleted member

I used to be against Puyo poppers like Arle in Smash, because i don't want to see them getting hurt for NO reason. Having Puyo poppers is fine, but that has to wait. Nintendo has to let their original Puzzle game representative be playable first, Only then i support Arle being in Smash.

warelander

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't this have just increased the cost of the game for no real benefit? The chances of people knowing that many characters outside the most die-hard of fans is extremely low.
Not in Japan, where Puyo has a long and consistent history and where it's main market lies. Sure it would add some costs and dev time, but far less then a regular Puyo game, since they can just rip currently unused dropesets from the many SEGA era games and art and voice clips from Quest, while actually providing a trade-off for the watered down presentation by having a larger cast then usual.

Even as far as localization is concerned a couple of match lines more are nothing in comparison to the roughly two hours worth of story mode dialogue in PPT and the cast being obscure in the west prior clearly didn't affect anything, since they were well recieved regardless.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Not in Japan, where Puyo has a long and consistent history and where it's main market lies. Sure it would add some costs and dev time, but far less then a regular Puyo game, since they can just rip currently unused dropesets from the many SEGA era games and art and voice clips from Quest, while actually providing a trade-off for the watered down presentation by having a larger cast then usual.

Even as far as localization is concerned a couple of match lines more are nothing in comparison to the roughly two hours worth of story mode dialogue in PPT and the cast being obscure in the west prior clearly didn't affect anything, since they were well recieved regardless.
The game is called "esports" in Japan, I think they know exactly what aspect of the game fans like they're aiming for here. Let's at least be thankful you can still show your love for a particular character through the tags, playable or not.

warelander

Smash Journeyman
The game is called "esports" in Japan, I think they know exactly what aspect of the game fans like they're aiming for here. Let's at least be thankful you can still show your love for a particular character through the tags, playable or not.
You say that, but they put Fever mode in there, which is unpopular with the competetive crowd and bring in Quest characters, who are from a game that has little competetive appeal and is far more character centric, due to the focus on pulling for characters you really want to have.

Don't get me wrong Champions/eSports IS still Puyo Puyo, it's perfectly playable and that's what's most important, but everything else about it is nothing to write home about, even for a budget release and seeing increasinlgy more of my favorite characters get kicked out just bites, who's to say that by the next game Sig and Raffine won't be gone too?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You say that, but they put Fever mode in there, which is unpopular with the competetive crowd and bring in Quest characters, who are from a game that has little competetive appeal and is far more character centric, due to the focus on pulling for characters you really want to have.

Don't get me wrong Champions/eSports IS still Puyo Puyo, it's perfectly playable and that's what's most important, but everything else about it is nothing to write home about, even for a budget release and seeing increasinlgy more of my favorite characters get kicked out just bites, who's to say that by the next game Sig and Raffine won't be gone too?
You mean like how most of the Puyo Puyo Tsu cast got axed in Fever? Cast getting shuffled is nothing new, and the only way to spare feelings for any old favourite is to include every character in every game going forward, which will get old fast.

Top Bottom