• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arle Nadja, Puyo Popper Extraordinaire pops into Smash Bros.! (New Management!)

Which Puyo protagonist would you prefer for Smash?

• Total voters

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Is the original thread creator not here anymore? Anyways I asked to be added to support a few weeks ago.
Why does Smash Bros have to be the target of the most cutting-edge trolling? Next, someone's gonna mod the demo and throw in Ronald McDonald just to piss off anyone who thinks Nintendo would be insane enough to add him in.
Because it's freaking huge and popular and people always eat up these leaks.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Why does Smash Bros have to be the target of the most cutting-edge trolling? Next, someone's gonna mod the demo and throw in Ronald McDonald just to piss off anyone who thinks Nintendo would be insane enough to add him in.
Or you're going to draw borderline lolicon.

Notshane

Smash Ace
Would certainly be disappointing for me if she ended up like that, but I suppose they would use her modern design. Doesn't look too bad here.
Part of me still has this undying hope she'll have an alt of at least one of her pre-Fever appearances.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Would certainly be disappointing for me if she ended up like that, but I suppose they would use her modern design. Doesn't look too bad here.
Part of me still has this undying hope she'll have an alt of at least one of her pre-Fever appearances.
Disappointing how? Just hoping for her older design?

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I imagine that it won't be an alternate costume, but there will be a coloration like that.

There is a legitimate chance that Arle would use her Yon design, or even Classic design if Sakurai wanted it; otherwise Pac-Man would look as he does in Pac-Man Party (if memory serves me). That being said, I do anticipate the Chronicle/Quest look she sports nowadays.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
I imagine that it won't be an alternate costume, but there will be a coloration like that.

There is a legitimate chance that Arle would use her Yon design, or even Classic design if Sakurai wanted it; otherwise Pac-Man would look as he does in Pac-Man Party (if memory serves me). That being said, I do anticipate the Chronicle/Quest look she sports nowadays.
Out of curiosity, which design would you want her to use? As someone who isn't super familiar with her whole series, I'm curious what the most popular design is. Smash tends to go with the characters' most iconic designs, so if one of the older designs is more widely known, then it's possible they'd go with that one!

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Uh-oh. I just saw this in the General Speculation thread...

Suddenly, new franchises look a lot less likely.
Why are you putting this everywhere lol?

You're Smashboard's bearer of bad news, it seems. :p

NukeA6

Smash Master
Not worried at all about the correction. I knew not everyone would get a stage. Yeah, I know Smash 4 had a stage for the DLC newcomers but that was that. Hidden characters since the 64 days only had theirselves to rep with Mr. Game & Watch being the exception.

Why are you putting this everywhere lol?

You're Smashboard's bearer of bad news, it seems. :p
Wouldn't that title suit TOY the Gamer more?

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I mean, Arle doesn't really care. She's way more likely as a DLC character anyway because of Puyo Puyo Tetris, so it's not like her base game chances have changed much.

And honestly, Arle doesn't even need a stage very much. I know, she's third party, but there's no significant locale from her series. She could piggyback off of Sonic or Bayo and just wait for DLC to give her the works.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Yeah, we can assume that DLC characters will bring their own stages with them anyway. This is mostly a blow to unrepresented franchises hoping to get into the base roster, like B&K, Isaac, or Lip.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Out of curiosity, which design would you want her to use? As someone who isn't super familiar with her whole series, I'm curious what the most popular design is. Smash tends to go with the characters' most iconic designs, so if one of the older designs is more widely known, then it's possible they'd go with that one!
I'd like a mix of the Compile era sprites & the new ones, The compile era designs have more deep colors than the Sega era ones.

Yeah, we can assume that DLC characters will bring their own stages with them anyway. This is mostly a blow to unrepresented franchises hoping to get into the base roster, like B&K, Isaac, or Lip.
I wouldn't know what the Golden Sun trademark would be used for then unless if its a new game. Isn't Mario Tennis Aces still getting some patches? But you did say *BASEROSTER*.

I don't think I posted in this thread before but I do support Arle getting into Smash. Any full moveset concepts made for her? (Like Jabs, Air attacks, Special moves, throws, etc.) Would Carbuncle have to be incorporated into her moveset, since she seems to be with him in games in the series and recent ones such as PPT & Chronicles?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I don't think I posted in this thread before but I do support Arle getting into Smash. Any full moveset concepts made for her? (Like Jabs, Air attacks, Special moves, throws, etc.) Would Carbuncle have to be incorporated into her moveset, since she seems to be with him in games in the series and recent ones such as PPT & Chronicles?
There's at least one or two movesets in the original post. And yes, Carbuncle is in it.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
And then there's this newcomer leak (both a new leak and one that leaks newcomers).

Oh boy, this one. Apparently it doesn't have everybody. But the chances of one of those missing characters being Arle? I'd say 0, and it all has to do with our friend Shadow. He's a SEGA rep.

Now while it's not confirmed or anything, don't expect Arle Nadja in the base roster until further notice (or, worst comes to worst, at all). Until the Grinch leak is proven fake, it seems her chance for vengeance against somebody who set her very, very far back is gone for now.

...which means nothing to me because I've already made peace with that. She's extremely likely for DLC if everything goes well.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
I don't think the banner changes the situation with Arle much. It's how the remaining Assist Trophies are being handled that I'd like to see.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
And then there's this newcomer leak (both a new leak and one that leaks newcomers).

Oh boy, this one. Apparently it doesn't have everybody. But the chances of one of those missing characters being Arle? I'd say 0, and it all has to do with our friend Shadow. He's a SEGA rep.

Now while it's not confirmed or anything, don't expect Arle Nadja in the base roster until further notice (or, worst comes to worst, at all). Until the Grinch leak is proven fake, it seems her chance for vengeance against somebody who set her very, very far back is gone for now.

...which means nothing to me because I've already made peace with that. She's extremely likely for DLC if everything goes well.
Not that I don't think you're right on this, but don't forget that Konami - who has only ever had one playable character in the whole Smash series - now has not only a new series with playable characters, but two new characters at that in addition to the one they had prior! They went from having Metal Gear Solid and Snake, to having that plus Castlevania, Simon, and Richter. Sega still only has the Sonic series as playable characters, and only one new character (assuming the leak is true). So I don't think that would necessarily be a decisive nail in the coffin!

I definitely agree that she's more likely as DLC if anything, but if there are indeed characters not shown in the leak, then Shadow doesn't necessarily take her out of the running.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

Wait, who are you talking about in regards to Arle and vengeance? It surely can't be Lip...

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I'm referring to Kirby. She got her revenge against Dr. Eggman in a Puyo Quest/Sonic Runners collab (closest we'll get to that incarnation), and this has literally been 23 years in the making.

I'm sure most people here are aware of Kirby's Avalanche by now, or Kirby's Ghost Trap which is the same game, but if TV Tropes is to be believed, we might've had Super Puyo Puyo straight up.

• According to one of the Japanese guidebooks for Tsu, Compile was going to try to get Super Puyo Puyo released overseas before they were approached by Nintendo for Kirby's Avalanche.
Of course, there's the issue of whether or not Puyo would have done well in the west, but given some advertising (and look where we are today) I'm sure it could have done decently well as is. Hell, maybe it could've been influential and changed the gaming world (especially if it was Puyo 2 that got localized instead). But we won't know, that's not the timeline we live in. Maybe it's for the best: we might not have Amitie and everybody else from the SEGA era if Compile was still alive.

I'm overthinking this, yes. I'm creating a narrative that doesn't exist, yes. But Arle DLC is really something I'm counting on, and... well, I don't think there's anything we can really do. A lot of this is probably just a fear that Shadow is unique. If Shadow's unique Arle's as good as disconfirmed permanently. At that point, there is no argument against Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Dr. Eggman, and Metal Sonic alone, and then we have the Sonic B-Team who is probably more popular than half of us. This isn't just about us: Billy Hatcher, NiGHTS, Beat, a lot of them have the same issues and fear of a second Sonic unique. They do not have what it takes to prove themselves above characters from Sonic; it's freaking Sonic.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
DLC is the best shot she's got. But if a certain echo is anything to go by, he helps her alot.

Is the original thread creator not here anymore? Anyways I asked to be added to support a few weeks ago.
He's writes Puyo Puyo articles, so he's a busy guy.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
If Arle will be DLC character in the game (its very likely thanks to PPT and ballot results), I wonder if they'll advertise Puzzle games similarly to when they introduced the fighting game character, Ryu and the Mii outfits of Tekken and Virtua Fighter (One of Sega's many dormant IPs). Its possible that Mii outfits are deconfirmed, so maybe they won't do that. The fighting game market is much bigger than Puzzle games, with Puyo Puyo and Tetris being the only ones to have a competitive scene from what I saw. Heihachi was considered but it was because of the complexity to make a moveset that kept him from being a fighter in Sm4sh but its possible they can do a newcomer puzzle character with Arle. Dr. Mario doesn't do much with his puzzle games and I don't think his game would be a nice comparison to Puyo Puyo as the two games has completely different objectives, one is about clearing all a specific object, while the other is about a competitive action puzzle game where you try to defeat your opponent; and there's more interaction. Panel de Pon would be a better comparison but there's already huge barriers for Lip to begin with, and that series is on hiatus along with the characters made for the IP to not be released outside of Japan in its original form.

I do support Arle for Smash by the way, I don't think I mentioned it before in this thread before.

Arle Nadja

Prodigy Sorceress & Girl Power Icon
NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
Welp. No Arle. My hopes are low, but I'm still rooting for some amount of acknowledgment for the series.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Oh boy, Arle Nadja Arle Nadja I wouldn't get my hopes so down just yet.

As I said in the main Newcomer Speculation discussion...

Tails and Amy are Spirits. (Semi-disconfirm, chances much lower but still possible)
Knuckles, Shadow, and Akira (as the standalone SEGA assist) are Assist Trophies. (RIP Shadow, though). [Hard disconfirm, without a miracle]
And there's a Mii Costume of (mostly RIP, but this is the best she's had in years) Lip. [Disconfirm based on Smash 4, but maybe possible]

Plus, with Spring Man an Assist and Rex a Mii Costume (and Pyra's a Spirit), the biggest names in Smash DLC speculation are dead. Piranha Plant also means you don't need to be too big in the ballot to get in, and to expect a lot of unexpected sleeper hits. (Sakurai and the Japanese Dev Team considered it a suggestion box, and not a poll, anyway.)

Through all of these, Arle is still alive. That's the biggest draw; now combine that with Puyo Puyo Chronicle, western Tetris, eSports, and even bigger profits on the account of Puyo Puyo!! Quest, and the lukewarm performance of Sonic Forces, and Arle now stands, honestly, with the best chance she's had yet yet. I would go as far to say she is top 20 at least, but my personal pick is top 10 (then again, I have her at third).
Arle's chances have not lowered. In fact, they have skyrocketed. This is her time.

While she's not in, she's absolutely very likely.

Arle Nadja

NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
I suppose you're right. It's probably not too much to hope that she might be a spirit. DLC might be a bit much to get my hopes up for, but I'd be happy with either honestly. At this point Spirits are just recycling art from the native series right? When I think about it that way, seeing Arle makes so much sense! ...It also means there's no excuse. Don't let us down, Sonic Team.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I’m going to say that with recent developments, she looks like a lock in my opinion. I think I started out this speculation period saying she had a high chance because of her but began to dial down as more leaks, reveals, and evidence for other newcomers came in. Now I’m sure she’s going to be one of the DLC characters.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
I suppose you're right. It's probably not too much to hope that she might be a spirit. DLC might be a bit much to get my hopes up for, but I'd be happy with either honestly. At this point Spirits are just recycling art from the native series right? When I think about it that way, seeing Arle makes so much sense! ...It also means there's no excuse. Don't let us down, Sonic Team.
If she does have Spirit, does it mean they can't mention Madou Monogatari anywhere in her info because of rights issues? Nintendo did mention Tetris Attack a couple of times in the Lip's Stick trophy but the game has never been on virtual console outside of Japan.
I’m going to say that with recent developments, she looks like a lock in my opinion. I think I started out this speculation period saying she had a high chance because of her but began to dial down as more leaks, reveals, and evidence for other newcomers came in. Now I’m sure she’s going to be one of the DLC characters.
I still find it notable that Konami got 2 characters which the rights are more difficult to obtain, Capcom also got a new rep, but Sega hasn't gotten a new one. Obviously Sega is the easiest to obtain but I think it would be odd if Square gets a new rep over Sega, and then getting a possible Microsoft rep. Of course the project plan has killed her chances to be playable in the base game. Shadow's deconfirmation helps her a lot though, and the fact that Sonic has 2 stages in the game, along with additional Sega content as assist trophies such as Akira and Knuckles who were both was previously only a Mii Outfit. If Lip has a Mii outfit, I don't see why Arle can't get one considering the Chronicles model would be the best to use for her as a base.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Yeah, I agree. Arle is almost [there's some holes we gotta watch out for] an outright lock, especially considering that all DLC, since they come with stages, are much likelier to be from new series and Arle patches up a bunch of holes in the base roster (low female newcomers, low magicians, low puzzle game reps, and SEGA's new rep for this game). Only real competition right now is Joker from Persona 5, as a second Sonic rep wouldn't come with a stage, and most anybody else isn't a big enough deal, or popular enough to warrant inclusion. As for why she'd be picked over him, she fills more holes and no longer is a nobody to the western world [and, there's that whole Nintendo history thing, or whatever]. That being said, I will be the one to say that we're not gonna brigade Joker's support thread.

The fact that so many people forget that SEGA has no newcomers in the base roster, despite being in Smash the longest, really shows how we're a bit of the underdog right now. Almost like Robin in Smash 4, compared to Chrom (Unique Sonic Rep 2), though with us not being bombarded by trolls who would flip out if we got in instead. R.I.P Amitie though, unless DLC fighters can come with Echo Fighters then Amitie is not happening. Also no more Puyo Assist Trophy dreams, but at least that means Arle isn't one, for better or for worse.

Here's a topic: if third parties were in Smash 64, would Arle be one of them? I would say yes. Arle was a freaking household name in the only country that mattered (in regards to Smash) at the time, and at the time SEGA (in 1999, Puyo Puyo was already owned by SEGA, but Compile still got to make games for it) wouldn't have really cared since it wasn't like they were asking for Sonic. Compile would appreciate the revenue boost. However, there is the possibility that Arle would have been cut from the US and European releases for reasons that almost got Marth and Roy cut from Melee's localization. Melee no, Brawl absolutely not (there was no way SEGA wasn't getting a rep that wasn't Sonic) and Smash 4 we know the answer.

Shadow and Akira's sacrifices are what allowed us to get this far. Now, it's time for us to go further than that.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I agree. Arle is almost [there's some holes we gotta watch out for] an outright lock, especially considering that all DLC, since they come with stages, are much likelier to be from new series and Arle patches up a bunch of holes in the base roster (low female newcomers, low magicians, low puzzle game reps, and SEGA's new rep for this game). Only real competition right now is Joker from Persona 5, as a second Sonic rep wouldn't come with a stage, and most anybody else isn't a big enough deal, or popular enough to warrant inclusion. As for why she'd be picked over him, she fills more holes and no longer is a nobody to the western world [and, there's that whole Nintendo history thing, or whatever]. That being said, I will be the one to say that we're not gonna brigade Joker's support thread.

The fact that so many people forget that SEGA has no newcomers in the base roster, despite being in Smash the longest, really shows how we're a bit of the underdog right now. Almost like Robin in Smash 4, compared to Chrom (Unique Sonic Rep 2), though with us not being bombarded by trolls who would flip out if we got in instead. R.I.P Amitie though, unless DLC fighters can come with Echo Fighters then Amitie is not happening. Also no more Puyo Assist Trophy dreams, but at least that means Arle isn't one, for better or for worse.

Here's a topic: if third parties were in Smash 64, would Arle be one of them? I would say yes. Arle was a freaking household name in the only country that mattered (in regards to Smash) at the time, and at the time SEGA (in 1999, Puyo Puyo was already owned by SEGA, but Compile still got to make games for it) wouldn't have really cared since it wasn't like they were asking for Sonic. Compile would appreciate the revenue boost. However, there is the possibility that Arle would have been cut from the US and European releases for reasons that almost got Marth and Roy cut from Melee's localization. Melee no, Brawl absolutely not (there was no way SEGA wasn't getting a rep that wasn't Sonic) and Smash 4 we know the answer.

Shadow and Akira's sacrifices are what allowed us to get this far. Now, it's time for us to go further than that.
Then again, SEGA has way more dormant IPs than both Capcom and Konami, that could be the reason for a lack of another playable SEGA rep after Bayo (owned by Sega and Nintendo) Most SEGA fans still believe that Sonic is still the only SEGA IP that they have been making for a couple of years now. Recently they just started to pick themselves up with reviving Streets of Rage and localizing Puyo Puyo which is now a series that Sega considers localizing games now (sort of a Fire Emblem situation outside of Smash Bros. if you ask me by marketing a big IP with a pretty much Japan-only IP with few games released outside of Japan)

Still, designing a Puzzle Character is something that Sakurai has never done before which is something that would be entirely new to him to do. I'm not saying that her chances are lowered because of this but its probably going to be very different from what he usually does when designing characters in the game.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm just here to pledge my support for Arle in the DLC speculation phase. I don't see her as incredibly likely, just because I like to temper my expectations, but that also doesn't make her unlikely. She made a splash on the fan polls and you never know, plus Puyo Puyo Tetris was a smash hit (and I'll be honest it's one of my current obsessions). Let's hope!

Arle Nadja

NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
If she does have Spirit, does it mean they can't mention Madou Monogatari anywhere in her info because of rights issues? Nintendo did mention Tetris Attack a couple of times in the Lip's Stick trophy but the game has never been on virtual console outside of Japan.
Like, if they wanted to say which games she appeared in or which game she first appeared in? I don't believe simply acknowledging that the games existed like that would be a copyright issue. As far as Madou Monogatari's rights go, Sonic Team seems to own pretty much everything except the title. They have the rights to the characters, they have the rights to the music, they have the rights to the Compile era lore. The Madou Monogatari title belongs to D3 Enterprises these days, and they have enough rights to re-release the old games every once in a while. I can't tell if Compile Heart shares the rights as well, since their new "spiritual successor" game goes by a different name. (Sei Madou Monogatari) It's worth noting that Madou and Monogatari are perfectly normal japanese words and not like, a unique name, and so the presence of "Sei" is almost definitely enough to void any copyright concerns.

They would probably refer to Arle as a Puyo Puyo character and only mention Madou Monogatari in the history section though. I doubt they'rd really go into it beyond mentioning it existed. Not because they can't, but because Sonic Team likes to play coy like that and only reference old lore once in a while.

Unrelated, gosh I wish I could be as confident as you guys. She deserves that spot so badly, but I'm too pessimistic to get my hopes up. ||D I hope she gets a Doppelganger Arle (Red) and Lilith (Purple) alt if she does get in. They're simple palette swaps, only they both iconically sport a smug/plotting look on their face by default.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
If she's getting Doppel and Lilith, we might as well go for Dark Arle too.

I'm usually more pessimistic, but recently everything's been coming up Arle.

You know what'd be great? A Puyo Puyo!! Quest x Fire Emblem Heroes crossover event.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Like, if they wanted to say which games she appeared in or which game she first appeared in? I don't believe simply acknowledging that the games existed like that would be a copyright issue. As far as Madou Monogatari's rights go, Sonic Team seems to own pretty much everything except the title. They have the rights to the characters, they have the rights to the music, they have the rights to the Compile era lore. The Madou Monogatari title belongs to D3 Enterprises these days, and they have enough rights to re-release the old games every once in a while. I can't tell if Compile Heart shares the rights as well, since their new "spiritual successor" game goes by a different name. (Sei Madou Monogatari) It's worth noting that Madou and Monogatari are perfectly normal japanese words and not like, a unique name, and so the presence of "Sei" is almost definitely enough to void any copyright concerns.

They would probably refer to Arle as a Puyo Puyo character and only mention Madou Monogatari in the history section though. I doubt they'rd really go into it beyond mentioning it existed. Not because they can't, but because Sonic Team likes to play coy like that and only reference old lore once in a while.

Unrelated, gosh I wish I could be as confident as you guys. She deserves that spot so badly, but I'm too pessimistic to get my hopes up. ||D I hope she gets a Doppelganger Arle (Red) and Lilith (Purple) alt if she does get in. They're simple palette swaps, only they both iconically sport a smug/plotting look on their face by default.
Lol, nothing stopped Sega from mentioning Banjo's First appearance as Diddy Kong Racing in Sonic & Sega Allstars Racing.

Sakurai always likes to reference the character's roots, he would of not included Pac-Man if he couldn't use the Classic design. Arle's possible consideration in Smash shouldn't be placed to that extreme though because Madou Monogatari is not the entire identity of the character.
Unfortunately people will notice a handful amount of untranslated Puyo Puyo and Madou Monogatari games if Arle gets into Smash as a playable fighter. Especially when they might want to explore her roots, but there's the chance that they'll be people who will attempt to translate them, though I heard some Madou Monogatari game being impossible to create a fan translation for on a TV Tropes page.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
If she's getting Doppel and Lilith, we might as well go for Dark Arle too.

I'm usually more pessimistic, but recently everything's been coming up Arle.

You know what'd be great? A Puyo Puyo!! Quest x Fire Emblem Heroes crossover event.
Can we throw Puzzle & Dragons in there, too?

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Rumors have been around for a little bit about the N64 Classic. That's nice, but more importantly...

If this source is to be trusted, Puyo Puyo SUN 64, or Puyo Puyo 3, will be getting a re-release for the Nintendo 64 Classic Edition, at least in Japan. Which, in all honesty, is good enough. [Kinda because Choppun is finally back in gaming, but mostly because...]

This would be absolutely incredible news for Arle's chances, because that would mean Nintendo already has talked to SEGA about Puyo Puyo. Which, as we all know, does lead to the possibility that since SEGA is okay with this, they'd have also put more emphasis on Puyo Puyo in regards to the new Smash game. Since, of course, they don't have a new character yet, and neither Sonic nor Bayonetta will be getting Echo Fighters anytime soon.

Just for speculation's sake, here's a timeline of events for our best case scenario.
  1. Nintendo decides, that after the amazing success of the SNES and NES Classic Editions, to make an N64 Classic Edition.
  2. One of the suggested games is Puyo Puyo SUN 64, either as a thank you gift to SEGA or at least as the Japanese counterpart to Pokémon Puzzle League/Dr. Mario 64, which don't have Japanese releases in any form for N64.
  3. Nintendo asks SEGA if they can have access to the game, and will give them a cut of the profits, if they allow it. (This is an extreme simplification of what's probably actually happened if I'm right, but...)
  4. SEGA says "Yeah, sure."
  5. Meanwhile, back in 2015, Arle Nadja is the clear cut frontrunner for SEGA reps in Japan's part of the ballot, and catches Sakurai and the team's attention. He thinks about what her inclusion means, and what she could bring to the table as a fighter. She makes the cut for inclusion, but as a medium-priority character and not for Smash 4, as Bayonetta was the frontrunner elsewhere/was already in development.
  6. The above N64 Classic talks make SEGA easy enough to work with when it comes to talks about who their next game rep should be. Arle Nadja is discussed, potentially with Carbuncle, possibly after.
  7. SEGA okays the use of Arle for Smash Ultimate. If this is after the cutoff, but when Arle is still fresh enough, she still has a chance, as now there is Puyo Puyo Tetris in the west, as well as Chronicle (and by now eSports but that's way too far from the cutoff).
  8. Arle is inherently DLC. Either SEGA didn't give the okay in time, or Sakurai couldn't find the room for her stage, whatever it may be, to be finished in time.
  9. Once Arle was pushed back to DLC, her series Assist Trophy was cut. It would presumably have been Schezo or Ringo, bringing the amount of Assists up to a good, flat 60.
  10. Arle is revealed at some point. Whether she is up in the air until confirmation, or a leaker reveals her early and either they've got credentials or physical evidence to validate, or at least help prove, this statement.
  11. Alternatively, she isn't immediately revealed, but Banjo is, and he has a game on the N64 Classic alongside Arle's. Arle is teased by either referencing Kirby's Avalanche (This upcoming fighter has a sour relation to Kirby, even though they've never met!) or Puyo Puyo Quest (This upcoming fighter met Sonic, wears blue, and knows magic!)
  12. Bonus: Arle ver. Smash Bros becomes a card in Puyo Quest.

Regardless, don't get your hopes too high up in case this rumor is untrue. I, for one, already own Puyo 3 (for the N64, at that), and am unlikely to ever purchase the N64 Classic while I have the O.G.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Hey guys, new tweets from Sakurai came in.

So, who are the lucky contestants? We'll just have to wait and see...

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
This might look like bad news at first, but...

1. Giving SEGA a new character to promote in Smash would be a good idea.
  2. Arle is, more or less, the face of the series and in what was one of their best selling games early on in the Switch's lifecycle.
  3. To promote puzzle gaming on Nintendo Switch, and hopefully ease these types into picking up Smash... you see where I'm getting at.
  4. If it was going to be Lip, we'd probably have a Puzzle League revival first, not to mention she's been made into a Mii Costume. Sorry to team Lip!
  5. Now that it's relevant again, Arle's history with Nintendo is fantastic: with the exception of the Virtual Boy, you could buy 1 Puyo game per console and never have to double up on them. In other words, they can trust SEGA to make Puyo games on Nintendo consoles.
  6. She's got what it takes, and a nice enough company, to not get vetoed.
  7. If SEGA adds Arle to Smash Bros., then they can easily market Puyo Puyo eSports elsewhere as "Featuring Arle!" to make it sell really freaking well, as she'll now be much more present in the conscious of society.
Arle's chances are no worse than they were before. I'd argue it's actually gotten better for her since then, as adding Arle brings more money than almost any other SEGA rep. Our only real competition at this point is Joker (counting Spirits, there is the worrisome fear of a second Sonic rep, but I personally won't).

And this assumes that Nintendo is slightly conservative with 3rd Parties. If they take a Smash 4 approach and go liberal, I'd outright say she's in.

But I will not go in too far, just in case my disappointment reaches new heights. But **** it, I'm letting my gut go wild. I think she's happening. Not for sure, but I'm really happy to say that I think she's likely enough for things to go really, really well!

Edit: Puyo Puyo Champions is a new trademark, originally found from this tweet. We might be getting eSports/there might already be something new in terms of Puyo on the way.

Last edited:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I just wanted to say that after playing Puyo Puyo Tetris when it came out (and introducing me to the series), these characters really grew on me and now I fully support Arle for Smash. It's quite the longshot, but I'd love to see it happen.

So put me in the Support list.

Also, took the liberty of making an alt set for Arle, based on other Puyo girls.

Top Bottom