• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arle Nadja, Puyo Popper Extraordinaire pops into Smash Bros.! (New Management!)

Which Puyo protagonist would you prefer for Smash?

• Total voters

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
There goes Schezo, always saying something that makes him seem more and more of a pervert when it's unintentional.

I have a bad feeling that "assaulting this girl" line will become a meme.
There you have, that's why the E+10 rating exists.

And I'm damn glad they are staying true to his character than toning him down. he wouldn't be Schezo if people don't think he's a pervert.

Too bad Satan will keep that lame Dark Prince name.

Notshane

Smash Ace
Too bad Satan will keep that lame Dark Prince name.
Hey, if Hercule can eventually get his old name back, so can Dark Prince!

Then again, Hercule's case is a bit special. He never had a first name, so Hercule Satan was clever. But, Satan will just be Dark Prince. Or, maybe Dark Prince Satan at one point. Kind of hard to tell at this time.

Also, his full title being "Prince of Darkness (Satan)" with that paranthesis included on one website basically means he's still "Satan" but they just made a loophole around it by instead referring to him only as the Dark Prince. It was clever at least since it's not necessarily unfaithful to the original, but I almost feel that "Dark Prince" makes him sound too cool.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Hey guys, look at what I just came across!

https://twitter.com/tsunderica/status/856913784845221888

No lie, I almost cried tears of joy reading this tweet. Almost.

Also, can I just say SEGA absolutely NAILED PPT's story mode dialogue. IMO, it's almost as great as Kid Icarus Uprising's English script, and from me, that is saying a WHOLE lot.
Did you know, Kyle Herbert is the voice of Popoi and Risukuma too?

That literally made my morning.

And congrats for the script being just as funny as the original.

Notshane

Smash Ace
Hey guys, look at what I just came across!
Look at this tweet that I just found. When I...sorry.

Also, can I just say SEGA absolutely NAILED PPT's story mode dialogue. IMO, it's almost as great as Kid Icarus Uprising's English script, and from me, that is saying a WHOLE lot.
Besides a few changes, all of it is pretty similar to what I played in the translation.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Did you know, Kyle Herbert is the voice of Popoi and Risukuma too?

That literally made my morning.

And congrats for the script being just as funny as the original.
You know, it's crazy. I LEGIT thought Travis Willingham (the current Knuckles the Echidna in the Sonic the Hedgehog games) was the voice of Risukuma this entire time. I probably wouldn't have been anymore the wiser had I not come across Kyle Hebert's tweet about his roles in PPT.

Also, that made your morning? Let me tell you what made MY day so far.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
You know, it's crazy. I LEGIT thought Travis Willingham (the current Knuckles the Echidna in the Sonic the Hedgehog games) was the voice of Risukuma this entire time. I probably wouldn't have been anymore the wiser had I not come across Kyle Hebert's tweet about his roles in PPT.

Also, that made your morning? Let me tell you what made MY day so far.

So he was in Puyo Puyo all along.

It all makes sense.

Arle confirmed for Smash then. :laugh:

Notshane

Smash Ace
You want to know what's really funny, though, is that Schezo doesn't sound as offensive in the Japanese original as he does in the translation.

So, I can easily see that quote becoming a meme.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So he was in Puyo Puyo all along.

It all makes sense.

Arle confirmed for Smash then. :laugh:
We can only hope. We can only hope.

You want to know what's really funny, though, is that Schezo doesn't sound as offensive in the Japanese original as he does in the translation.

So, I can easily see that quote becoming a meme.
Speaking of which, I'll give Puyo Puyo SO many bonus points, if SOMEONE, ANYONE (doesn't even have to be Arle) shouts to Schezo: "DUDE! SERIOUSLY! PHRASING!!"

Honestly, from I what I've seen of PPT's story mode so far, my thoughts on it were pretty much summed up by THIS tweet:

Last edited:

Notshane

Smash Ace
Yeah, considering even the original one by Compile got a short-lived anime series that fell into obscurity. And I am not talking about the shorts, either.

Honestly, if they somehow made an anime in the style of Puyo Puyo, that would be the most unique looking anime ever made in the history of anime.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Yeah, considering even the original one by Compile got a short-lived anime series that fell into obscurity. And I am not talking about the shorts, either.
Wait, for real? I....don't suppose you have any traces of it? Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious.

Honestly, if they somehow made an anime in the style of Puyo Puyo, that would be the most unique looking anime ever made in the history of anime.
It certainly would!

BTW, I have a question for everyone. Going off of the tweet I posted, do any of you think that Puyo Puyo really DOES lend itself well to a Saturday-morning cartoon series? Personally, I do. I could see it working on Kids' WB, if not any cable networks.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
A Saturday morning cartoon for Puyo Puyo can be good if done right. It would have to be like Animaniacs, have the same whimsical gags complete with subtle humor that can apppeal to adults. We already have Schezo to cover us on that font.

Too bad such cartoons are a dying breed these days.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Huuuuhh. I need to see where that's been at. Some sites like Puyo Nexus could have informed already about this non-short anime series.

Not possibly most unique-looking if I know some anime out there (Ping Pong - The Animation or Tatami Galaxy). But I think if done well, it'd be amazing to see - might even compete with Kemono Friends if the humor is done well. (BY the localized version's writing - it seems they nailed it amazingly)

A Saturday morning cartoon for Puyo Puyo can be good if done right. It would have to be like Animaniacs, have the same whimsical gags complete with subtle humor that can apppeal to adults. We already have Schezo to cover us on that font.

I quite would wonder how that could work out today indeed - We'd get a Puyo Puyo-anime rather than that of a saturday morning cartoon.

Still, I think that kind of style for this series seems to fit to a tee. Kind of reminds me of the shorts:

And the Puyo Sun-opening:

Notshane

Smash Ace
Huuuuhh. I need to see where that's been at. Some sites like Puyo Nexus could have informed already about this non-short anime series.
I just read it off of an old anime site a while. It didn't last the usual twelve episodes like most anime do, but I'm not saying it lasted longer, either. I might've inadvertently compared it to most nineties anime which normally have abysmally long runs, especially if they were in the magical girl genre. But, I think it was more of a short OVA series. It's lost media anyway, so I did not want to look much into it. It wouldn't surprise me if such an OVA series did exist, considering I remember watching a few anime a while back that apparently became "lost" in 2013 or so. Kind of sad, really. I never thought something could get lost as recent as 2013.

Not possibly most unique-looking if I know some anime out there (Ping Pong - The Animation or Tatami Galaxy). But I think if done well, it'd be amazing to see - might even compete with Kemono Friends if the humor is done well. (BY the localized version's writing - it seems they nailed it amazingly)
Oh, trust me, not a lot of anime look "unique" from each other. Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt is the closest I've ever seen to an anime fighting the norm. Puyo Puyo, Madou Monogatari or whatever universe they choose (will probably be the former) will easily look the most unique, especially if they can retain its cutesy art style.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
A Saturday morning cartoon for Puyo Puyo can be good if done right. It would have to be like Animaniacs, have the same whimsical gags complete with subtle humor that can appeal to adults. We already have Schezo to cover us on that front.

I quite would wonder how that could work out today indeed - We'd get a Puyo Puyo-anime rather than that of a Saturday morning cartoon.
If one ever were to happen, I'd imagine that it would be like 20th Anniversary in the sense that it would be very slice of life, with some action here and there. Actually, it was quite similar to what Sonic Boom is doing now. The Madou cast, Fever cast, and the cast of PP7 were all focused on fairly equally with every episode centering around a character and what kind of hijinxs they get themselves into.

A notable dark aspect, however, could be that the PHANTOM GOD of all people was the series' "behind-the scenes" main antagonist, with Doppelganger Arle as the P.G.'s second in command and the Gem Guardians or the Count (from Madou Monogatari ARS) would be occasional antagonists. Satan and Ecolo would both essentially fill Eggman's role in Sonic Boom.

I just read it off of an old anime site a while. It didn't last the usual twelve episodes like most anime do, but I'm not saying it lasted longer, either. I might've inadvertently compared it to most nineties anime which normally have abysmally long runs, especially if they were in the magical girl genre. But, I think it was more of a short OVA series. It's lost media anyway, so I did not want to look much into it.
I don't suppose you remember what the Puyo OVA was about?

BTW, A slide from yesterday's Nintendo financial briefing hints Puyo Puyo Tetris sold well in NA, so...**** YEAH.

Last edited:

Notshane

Smash Ace
I don't suppose you remember what the Puyo OVA was about?
If I had to take a guess, it could've been based off the Madou Monogatari games. Not anything new, but maybe just an OVA covering her dungeon travels or something. I think they only had the Puyo Puyo anime used for shorts, but I'm not entirely certain.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
BTW, A slide from yesterday's Nintendo financial briefing hints Puyo Puyo Tetris sold well in NA, so...**** YEAH.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these referring to the usual good Japanese sales?

I would be glad if he's talking about international sales despite the game just coming out some time ago, but I'm not holding my breath.

Notshane

Smash Ace
What would you say to a Puyo Puyo fighting game?
I would want it like Guardian Heroes where you can go on three grids and use inputs for magical spells and also have lots of combo potential. That would be really damn fun.

Either that, or make it extremely easy and comical; you know, like Dynasty Warriors, where you use giant spells and take out massive hordes of enemies. The Puyo were already a parody of Slimes from Dragon Quest, so it would be really funny if the Puyo would up being fightable enemies again.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
So guess I was wrong about the demo being in english, the full game is also in english, well alright then.

Anyways I'm done with the story mode, the humor was pretty good (Dark Prince and Schezo in particular ^^ ) and the missions are fun. I admit I was pretty confused about which charcter from the puyo series was the main one, not sure if it was Ringo or Amitie or Arle or even all 3, that makes this thread's poll makes sense I guess, can we have all 3 as alts please Sakurai.

As for Arle, yup, I'm convinced, I'd like her to be playable in Smash, her design is cool, her personality as well, lots of potential moveset between her magic attacks, puyos and whatever she might have in her RPG series.

My biggest complaint would actually not be about her but Carbuncle (and O for the same reason), I think I die a little everytime he/she/it talks, don't get me wrong Carbunny you're as adorable as Kirby/Starfy/Luma and I'm perfectly fine with you spaking in Gugu but you have probably the most annoying voice I've heard since Toad, so please, PLEASE, if Arle does end up playable be only in her taunts/final smash/victory animations @.@

Now maybe I can finally stop Puyo Puyo Tetris playing for a while and get Mario Kart 8 Deluxe out of it's box

Probably

Hopefully

Maybe after a bit more puyo puyo.

Notshane

Smash Ace
So guess I was wrong about the demo being in English, the full game is also in English. Well alright then.
Why would they only dub the demo? XD

I admit I was pretty confused about which character from the Puyo Puyo series was the protagonist. I'm not sure if it is Ringo, Amitie or Arle. Or even all 3 if that makes sense of this thread's poll.
Allow me to enlighten you.

Arle would have indefinitely been the protagonist if SEGA never stole- (ahem) I mean, took the rights of the series from Compile after they went bankrupt.

In the current lore, Amitie is definitely the main protagonist since the Fever characters and art style carried over to every subsequent game.

Ringo was the main character for one game, which is still the last main series game in nearly a decade. So until they make another non-spin-off entry, we can't say that Ringo being the new protagonist is concrete. All three are for sure the main characters in the spin-off games.

But, in the main series, Amitie is most likely still the protagonist. We will have to wait and see after they release a new non-spin-off entry. Chronicles is technically still considered a spin-off.

My biggest complaint would actually not be about her, but Carbuncle (and O for the same reason). I think I die a little everytime he talks. Don't get me wrong, Carbunny, you're as adorable as Kirby/Starfy/Luma and I'm perfectly fine with you speaking in Gugu, but you probably have the most annoying voice I've heard since Toad. So please, PLEASE, if Arle does end up playable, be only in her taunts/final smash/victory animations @.@
I assume it'll be exactly like how the Waddle Dees are only in King Dedede's victory taunts. It'd be hard to animate the little guy running around Arle.

Last edited:

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Why would they only dub the demo? XD

Arle would have indefinitely been the protagonist if SEGA never stole- (ahem) I mean, took the rights of the series from Compile after they went bankrupt.

In the current lore, Amitie is definitely the main protagonist since the Fever characters and art style carried over to every subsequent game.

Ringo was the main character for one game, which is still the last main series game in nearly a decade. So until they make another non-spin-off entry, we can't say that Ringo being the new protagonist is concrete. All three are for sure the main characters in the spin-off games.

But, in the main series, Amitie is most likely still the protagonist. We will have to wait and see after they release a new non-spin-off entry. Chronicles is technically still considered a spin-off.
It's more that I tought we were going to get at least menus and dialogue subtitles in french in the full game, the last time I bought a game with no french translation at all was Tatsunoko vs Capcom 7 years ago, so I was quite surprised, not that I care all that much about it, it's not really the most complicated english dialogue I've ever seen nor do I really need the translation for "FIREBALL" and "ROCK PUNCH" repeated 4 times in a row ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As for the series history, it sounds like a interesting one and I think I'm overdue reading the wiki at this point anyway, be it for this or some backstory for the characters who appear out of nowhere for 2 levels in story mode and don't have any real inpact on it before vanishing in thin air, thanks for the answer.

Last edited:

Notshane

Smash Ace
It's more that I thought we were going to get at least menus and dialogue subtitles in French in the full game. The last time I bought a game with no French translation at all was Tatsunoko vs Capcom 7 years ago, so I was quite surprised. Not that I care all that much about it, it's not really the most complicated english dialogue I've ever seen nor do I really need the translation for "FIREBALL" and "ROCK PUNCH" repeated 4 times in a row ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You could've phrased that better. I thought you just meant you thought they only had English at all in the demo and the full game was only in Japanese.

As for the series' history, it sounds like an interesting one and I think I'm overdue reading the Wiki at this point anyway. Be it for this particular game, some back-story on the series as a whole or for the characters who appear out of nowhere for 2 levels in the Puyo Puyo Tetris story mode and don't have any real impact on it at all before vanishing into thin air. Thanks for the answer.
Oh yeah, it is. The shorter version is that if you favor the Compile games, it'll be way harder on you when you have to to over to the Sonic Team ones.

I just make it easier on myself by pretending that Arle and friends got sucked into a portal at the end of Minna de Puyo Puyo that sprung her into every subsequent game starting with Fever. Which also "explains" why the other Madou Monogatari characters appear later on, referencing how they all got sprung into different places.

Considering that the post-~n games have legit plots where the characters are randomly thrown into different realities anyway, my little fan theory to gap the events between Minna de Puyo Puyo and Fever make sense.

Again, this is something I made up. The real "canon" is that the series would've become epic after ~n until Compile went bankrupt and then it went over to Sonic Team that basically reset Arle back to a child, but is now a teenager as of Puyo Puyo Tetris.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I would want it like Guardian Heroes where you can go on three grids and use inputs for magical spells and also have lots of combo potential. That would be really damn fun.
Could you remind me about this series again? I know it was developed by Treasure (Sin and Punishment's home developer), but that's really ALL I'm aware of for this series. Still, form what you've described so far, it DOES sound like something up the alley of a Puyo Puyo fighting game!

Personally, I can see a Puyo fighting game working in the style of what you described with Guardian Heroes AND SEGA's Fighting Vipers with Arle, Rulue, Schezo, Satan, Suketoudara, Draco, Witch, Lagnus, Amitie, Raffine, Sig, Klug, Liddelle, Tarutaru, Lemres, Feli, Ms. Accord, Ringo, Risukuma, Maguro, Ecolo, and Ally as playable characters.

Either that, or make it extremely easy and comical; you know, like Dynasty Warriors, where you use giant spells and take out massive hordes of enemies. The Puyo were already a parody of Slimes from Dragon Quest, so it would be really funny if the Puyo would up being fightable enemies again.
Wow...a Puyo Warriors game? You know what's crazy? The fact that the Puyo Puyo series as a whole has just enough material to make something like that happen!

Anyways I'm done with the story mode, the humor was pretty good (Dark Prince and Schezo in particular ^^ ) and the missions are fun. I admit I was pretty confused about which character from the puyo series was the main one, not sure if it was Ringo or Amitie or Arle or even all 3, that makes this thread's poll makes sense I guess, can we have all 3 as alts please Sakurai.
Well technically, Arle is the main character. That being said, she basically has full rights to be Puyo Puyo's Smash rep.

As for Arle, yup, I'm convinced, I'd like her to be playable in Smash, her design is cool, her personality as well, lots of potential moveset between her magic attacks, puyos and whatever she might have in her RPG series.
So I take it I can add you to the support list? Also, I should warn you, the RPG series Puyo Puyo was spun off from, Madou Monogatari, is one of THE darkest JRPG games you will EVER (and I mean EVER) see.

My biggest complaint would actually not be about her but Carbuncle (and O for the same reason), I think I die a little every time he/she/it talks, don't get me wrong Carbunny you're as adorable as Kirby/Starfy/Luma and I'm perfectly fine with you speaking in Gugu but you have probably the most annoying voice I've heard since Toad, so please, PLEASE, if Arle does end up playable be only in her taunts/final smash/victory animations @.@
Really? Personally, I've thought that O was more bothersome than Carbuncle. As a matter of fact, I've found Carbuncle practically adorable so far.

I just want to chime in here and say that Amitie (if one looks VERY close) seems to have been taking a backseat to Arle and Ringo in recent games, though SEGA certainly DOES promote her as much as the aforementioned two.

It should also be mentioned that Arle IS considered THE main protagonist of Chronicles. Amitie and Ringo seem to have slightly lesser roles than her in said game.

I assume it'll be exactly like how the Waddle Dees are only in King Dedede's victory taunts. It'd be hard to animate the little guy running around Arle.
Personally, I figured Smash would have Carbuncle sit on her shoulder or something of the sort. Maybe use him for her side smash attack.

As for the series history, it sounds like a interesting one and I think I'm overdue reading the wiki at this point anyway, be it for this or some backstory for the characters who appear out of nowhere for 2 levels in story mode and don't have any real impact on it before vanishing in thin air, thanks for the answer.
Yeah, that annoyed me so much like you wouldn't believe. I know SEGA's take on Puyo Puyo isn't big on continuity as well as you'd expect, but the Puyo Puyo side of the cast ESPECIALLY was utterly wasted in terms of potential.

Oh yeah, it is. The shorter version is that if you favor the Compile games, it'll be way harder on you when you have to to over to the Sonic Team ones.

I just make it easier on myself by pretending that Arle and friends got sucked into a portal at the end of Minna de Puyo Puyo that sprung her into every subsequent game starting with Fever. Which also "explains" why the other Madou Monogatari characters appear later on, referencing how they all got sprung into different places.

Considering that the post-~n games have legit plots where the characters are randomly thrown into different realities anyway, my little fan theory to gap the events between Minna de Puyo Puyo and Fever make sense.
Yeah, I'm just going to say that SEGA just isn't as focused on continuity as Compile was. Seriously, it REALLY irritates me how that's the case BTW. I have SO many ideas that would REALLY tie EVERYTHING post-Yo~n together.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
So I take it I can add you to the support list? Also, I should warn you, the RPG series Puyo Puyo was spun off from, Madou Monogatari, is one of THE darkest JRPG games you will EVER (and I mean EVER) see.
Yep, add me to the team boss o/

Really? Personally, I've thought that O was more bothersome than Carbuncle. As a matter of fact, I've found Carbuncle practically adorable so far.
Anytime those 2 appeared on screen I was mashing the A button, I may have had Mario Party flashbacks in the mission where they fight each other, I mean sure I simply could have just skipped the whole thing but that would have skipped Arle's lines as well.

Notshane

Smash Ace
Could you remind me about this series again? I know it was developed by Treasure (Sin and Punishment's home developer), but that's really ALL I'm aware of for this series.
Basically Street Fighter, albeit in beat 'em up form. I like the concept since it opens up the idea of Arle and more having multiple attacks and spells.

I just want to chime in here and say that Amitie (if one looks VERY close) seems to have been taking a backseat to Arle and Ringo in recent games, though SEGA certainly DOES promote her as much as the aforementioned two.

It should also be mentioned that Arle IS considered THE main protagonist of Chronicles. Amitie and Ringo seem to have slightly lesser roles than her in said game.
Yes. Those are all spin-off games. The last main series Puyo Puyo game is considered to be Puyo Puyo 7 that stars Ringo. But, well she was the main character here, we can't say for sure that they would throw away Amitie as the protagonist, especially with Fever even having a full sequel to it.

What I was saying is that all those games you just mentioned are spin-off games. And, if you read all of what I said, I even made it clear that I said they all share an even amount of protagonist status among themselves in said games. I just said that in the main series continuity (which has been on hiatus since Puyo Puyo 7), Ringo is currently the last protagonist in the series. And I also said that I am unsure if Amitie is the "current" protagonist anymore since there has not been any recent main series games to determine this.

Ugh, it really is so confusing. Ever since the anniversary games came into play, they basically made a spin-off series of a spin-off series. I don't even know if they are canon to the main series anymore. I am definitely going to say that the anniversary games for sure are not, but I am a little uncertain about how Tetris and Chronicles fit into the chronology. I want to say the former of those two is a spin-off again, well the latter might be main series. But, given how it's literally parodying a certain Puyo Puyo spin-off game made by Compile a long time ago that has similar gameplay elements, I am going to go ahead and say that it is a spin-off game.

For now, all we can do is wait, really. Speculation will get us nowhere. So, for those that skipped to the end and did not want to read all of that, Arle, Amitie and Ringo are the collective protagonists of the spin-off games and Ringo is the current protagonist of the main series until further notice.

Personally, I figured Smash would have Carbuncle sit on her shoulder or something of the sort. Maybe use him for her side smash attack.
I wouldn't go that far. Maybe a special move like how King Dedede had a chance to summon Waddle Doo in Brawl. But, it would be a pretty comprehensive AI to program if it was onscreen the whole time. And since Carbuncle can not fly, he would have to be on her shoulder the whole time until Arle chucks him.

Either that, or it can be similar to the Ice Climbers, albeit with a twist where he has his own moveset entirely, even though you can never play as him XD That would certainly give those two more charm than any other character in the series. Having an AI character with a moveset of its own that you can never truly play.

I also thought it would be more comical if you could summon him on and off through a taunt and if you do summon him, then he just does his own thing and only starts fighting serious when Arle is in real danger (e.g. high percentage) and even gets stronger if she reaches a critical point. But, I suppose it would be more of a down special move since they haven't had any moves that use a taunt. Though, they have had input moves before through Ryu, so I'm open to Carbuncle being summoned by pressing A and B at the same time so that Arle can have four unique special moves. Lucario and Ridley from Project M that kind of input.

Yeah, I'm just going to say that SEGA just isn't as focused on continuity as Compile was. Seriously, it REALLY irritates me how that's the case BTW. I have SO many ideas that would REALLY tie EVERYTHING post-Yo~n together.
Yeah. It really sucks to think about it that way. But, considering how random the story already is in the post-~n games, part of me always wondered if they could go so far as to pull something where Arle is sucked back into the original world of Puyo Puyo that directly follows the events of ~n where, as she enters the portal, the "magical" effect of Primp Town wears off on Arle and she reverts to a brunette once again, with all of the memories of her previous adventures disappearing.

It would be pretty controversial, but that way, all of the fun monsters introduced in the pre-Fever games can return to the series again since they were all basically left in Arle's world anyway, alongside some of the other human characters as well. The next problem would then be to think of what the games in Amitie's reality would be called after all of this unfolds, though. It would certainly be both sad and funny to see the other girls crying over Arle and then Ringo mutters "Wait, did we even hangout with her all that much?" with Amitie saying "Until recently? No, not really!" referencing how Arle only recently rose to more prominent roles beginning with the seventh entry in the series.

Well, I mean, she has technically only appeared in three of the main series post-~n games, with two of them being simply as a playable character and not being essential to the story as a whole. So, I figured it'd be funnier that way.

Huh, never thought I'd brainstorm this much about Puyo Puyo.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Hey guys, quick question...

What would you say to a Puyo Puyo fighting game?
Yes.

If it means that Suketoudara can be a fighter with dance moves and water. :awesome:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Yep, add me to the team boss o/
And as such, you are now an official "Puyo Popper", my friend! Congratulations!

Anytime those 2 appeared on screen I was mashing the A button, I may have had Mario Party flashbacks in the mission where they fight each other, I mean sure I simply could have just skipped the whole thing but that would have skipped Arle's lines as well.
Ah, I see.

Basically Street Fighter, albeit in beat 'em up form. I like the concept since it opens up the idea of Arle and more having multiple attacks and spells.
So...(and I'm just throwing it out there, because your description SCREAMS it to me) Final Fight/Streets of Rage?

For now, all we can do is wait, really. Speculation will get us nowhere. So, for those that skipped to the end and did not want to read all of that, Arle, Amitie and Ringo are the collective protagonists of the spin-off games and Ringo is the current protagonist of the main series until further notice.
Yeeeeaaaah...I'm just going to go with Arle, Amitie, and Ringo are the main characters of the series (for now).

I wouldn't go that far. Maybe a special move like how King Dedede had a chance to summon Waddle Doo in Brawl. But, it would be a pretty comprehensive AI to program if it was onscreen the whole time. And since Carbuncle can not fly, he would have to be on her shoulder the whole time until Arle chucks him.

Either that, or it can be similar to the Ice Climbers, albeit with a twist where he has his own moveset entirely, even though you can never play as him XD That would certainly give those two more charm than any other character in the series. Having an AI character with a moveset of its own that you can never truly play.

I also thought it would be more comical if you could summon him on and off through a taunt and if you do summon him, then he just does his own thing and only starts fighting serious when Arle is in real danger (e.g. high percentage) and even gets stronger if she reaches a critical point. But, I suppose it would be more of a down special move since they haven't had any moves that use a taunt. Though, they have had input moves before through Ryu, so I'm open to Carbuncle being summoned by pressing A and B at the same time so that Arle can have four unique special moves. Lucario and Ridley from Project M that kind of input.
Oh, sorry! I wasn't specific last night. I meant that Carbuncle would sit on Arle's shoulder and fire a misfired laser beam. (Think of :4rob:'s Side Smash Attack)

Yeah. It really sucks to think about it that way. But, considering how random the story already is in the post-~n games, part of me always wondered if they could go so far as to pull something where Arle is sucked back into the original world of Puyo Puyo that directly follows the events of ~n where, as she enters the portal, the "magical" effect of Primp Town wears off on Arle and she reverts to a brunette once again, with all of the memories of her previous adventures disappearing.

It would be pretty controversial, but that way, all of the fun monsters introduced in the pre-Fever games can return to the series again since they were all basically left in Arle's world anyway, alongside some of the other human characters as well. The next problem would then be to think of what the games in Amitie's reality would be called after all of this unfolds, though. It would certainly be both sad and funny to see the other girls crying over Arle and then Ringo mutters "Wait, did we even hangout with her all that much?" with Amitie saying "Until recently? No, not really!" referencing how Arle only recently rose to more prominent roles beginning with the seventh entry in the series.

Well, I mean, she has technically only appeared in three of the main series post-~n games, with two of them being simply as a playable character and not being essential to the story as a whole. So, I figured it'd be funnier that way.

Huh, never thought I'd brainstorm this much about Puyo Puyo.
I can't help but feel like people would find this a bit......"controversial" in a pretty big way. Hilarious as heck, but still somewhat controversial at this point in time. Honestly, I can't help but wonder if everyone from Arle's world (bar Satan) thought the EXACT same thing as what you described Amitie and Ringo to be thinking.

AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27 ,

It would TOTALLY bring "DANCING ALL NIGHT!" full circle, if you ask me.

Last edited:

Notshane

Smash Ace
So...(and I'm just throwing it out there, because your description SCREAMS it to me) Final Fight/Streets of Rage?
Pretty much.

Yeeeeaaaah...I'm just going to go with Arle, Amitie, and Ringo are the main characters of the series (for now).
I mean, most of what I said was factual to the series' canon still. Though, I'm not particularly embracive of it myself. I have no idea what they call a "spin-off" game anymore. Maybe it all is main series starting with Chronicles, but it just boggles my head. I really hope they announce something real soon here.

Oh, sorry! I wasn't specific last night. I meant that Carbuncle would sit on Arle's shoulder and fire a misfired laser beam. (Think of :4rob:'s Side Smash Attack)
Ooh. Yeah, I suppose since giving Arle almost nothing but original magic attacks would be hard. Either that, or he could also serve as a wide spreading u-smash.

I can't help but feel like people would find this a bit......"controversial" in a pretty big way. Hilarious as heck, but still somewhat controversial at this point in time.
I want to say it'd be mild, mainly because even Japanese people miss the way the original games were. I mean, the sales speak for themselves. They built up a massive story and I believe ~n sold very well in Japan. But, then they just went to Fever.

I suppose it'd be more of a "triggering" thing overseas than it would be in Japan. Since overseas has only ever had the post-~n games in English, they can't really have the same love for the originals as Japan did.

Honestly, I can't help but wonder if everyone from Arle's world (bar Satan) thought the EXACT same thing as what you described Amitie and Ringo to be thinking.
For real, though. Arle probably did just shoot into their reality, but nobody knew and just assumed she was a random bystander that, you know, knew tons of magic and overthrew the prince of darkness more times than she can count.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Just thought you all would like this.

And yes, its based on her model from the recent 3DS game. I bet her Final Smash replaces PK Starstorm with garbage Puyo.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Just thought you all would like this.

And yes, its based on her model from the recent 3DS game. I bet her Final Smash replaces PK Starstorm with garbage Puyo.
My goodness...

I almost thought this was real, believe it or not.

BTW, adding to your post:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
The more I see clips about the localized storyline, the more funnier this game keeps getting.

It's gonna be a while before I get to enjoy PPT's localization goodiness, though - Still can't allow myself to buy Switch until I get my loans and debts out of the way. :100:

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The more I see clips about the localized storyline, the more funnier this game keeps getting.

It's gonna be a while before I get to enjoy PPT's localization goodiness, though - Still can't allow myself to buy Switch until I get my loans and debts out of the way. :100:
The game is also available on the PS4 as well.

But that's fine. Focus on your responsibilities first. The game won't be running away like Are did after Witch wanted to sleep kiss her.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

It's gonna be a while before I get to enjoy PPT's localization goodness, though - Still can't allow myself to buy Switch until I get my loans and debts out of the way. :100:
Then I take it that you DON'T want me to post that video that contains ALL PPT English cutscenes? Seriously, if you don't ant to me to do so, it's fine. Still though, can I just say this game...SEGA of America did this game's English script justice like you wouldn't believe.

The game won't be running away like Are did after Witch wanted to sleep kiss her.
Nice one!

Oh, definitely! I could use all the help I can get, of course, to give me any Arle voices they can find.
You can nab all of the modern voice clips for Arle among sounds from this thread at Puyo Nexus. Have fun!
Aw, Valkyrie beat me to it! Well anyways, you can go to Puyo Nexus' forum. They have all the sound bytes you'll need.

BTW, guys. I watched TFS plays: Puyo Puyo Tetris and I got to thinking...what would everyone think of a Puyo Puyo Abridged? Obviously, there would be some interesting design choices due to the series not having any "motion" in their cutscenes.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Then I take it that you DON'T want me to post that video that contains ALL PPT English cutscenes? Seriously, if you don't ant to me to do so, it's fine. Still though, can I just say this game...SEGA of America did this game's English script justice like you wouldn't believe.
Contrary really, I'm not that inclined to click the video incase you post it here. It's all right! :laugh:

Considering also how I had seen the entirety of the story back when the game was still unlocalized via this playlist, I'm completely fine letting the surprise simmer it's time for me. It's like bottle of wine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom