• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arle Nadja, Puyo Popper Extraordinaire pops into Smash Bros.! (New Management!)

Which Puyo protagonist would you prefer for Smash?

• Total voters

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
For once, i wish Sakurai disregard the Western Fan demand and focus on the OBSCURE Characters from Japan.
Hes been doing that since the start though

Banjo was just throwing the bone
The rest of DLC has been all japanese characters from japanese companies

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hes been doing that since the start though

Banjo was just throwing the bone
The rest of DLC has been all japanese characters from japanese companies
I think they're referring to little-known characters that never got their games officially exported, or ones that aren't that present anymore.

But really though, there's still plenty of mainstream third parties still, so of course they'll focus on those first. They can't have obscure characters for every DLC slot, otherwise there wouldn't be much buyers left.

Besides, there aren't many big-name Japanese companies left that haven't had one of their characters in here yet without resorting to Westward.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I never understood why but there's a lot of westerners who have this "vision" of what they think Smash is supposed to be. Like, a lot of the requests end up being a platforming character or a cartoonish character because they "fit" the game more. I never got this because this is the same game with Solid Snake in it so it doesn't make any sense.
Those platformer characters are fine, but the issue is that people are wanting characters that WOULDN'T FIT IN like: Doomguy or Scorpion (Mortal Kombat), Sora from Kingdom Hearts (Which will be a BIG mistake because Disney is STRICT with their properties, which results in adding Goku from Dragon Ball to SSB), Kratos from God of War, any Team Fortress 2 character, and i recall that some people went as far as to wanting Baldi from Baldi's Basics in Education and Learning to be in SSB. These types of Fan-Demands is deemed to ruin the series just as bad as adding Goku into the series, because the western audience majorly demand Western gaming characters, and they meant the ones that came from M-rated American games or something. If i am correct, some people even wanted Cringe-inducing content like Fortnite and Minecraft (Not intended to insult anyone) to be represented in Super Smash Bros.

I just wish Sakurai stops overworking himself and think about other franchises rhat need a revival. I mean, if Smash Ultimate receives its TRUE FINAL addition, Sakurai can work on other projects that need a revival. As of now, not only i am cirrently supporting Arle's inclusion in Smash Bros, i was hoping for Nintendo to Finally REVIVE Panel de Pon, and since almost nobody has any interest in the franchise, Nintendo has to convince the fans that to promote Panel de Pon to the West in its original state, Nintendo announces that Lip, the main protagonist of the franchise whose games were hijacked by the Yoshi characters and the Pokémon, is COMING to Super Smash Bros as the Ultimate Final Fighter, and since she is a Nintendo Character, she will be free just like Piranha Plant.

SSBU started with Piranha Plant as the first DLC Fighter, and if we are lucky, Arle is one of the paid DLC fighters in between, and after Smash Ultimate receives its last Paid DLC fighter, Sakurai announces that he will revive a Nintendo Franchise, which i hope will be Panel de Pon, and if it is Panel de Pon, Sakurai openly announces that Smash Ultimate's Last Paid DLC Fighter isn't really the Last fighter, and then announces that Lip FINALLY Blossoms into Super Smash Bros as the Ultimate Conclusion, in regards to Panel de Pon's revival, and if that happens, Arle and Lip can FINALLY Fight in a Nintendo vs. SEGA Duel just like Mario and Sonic used to do, but Arle and Lip are the ones continuing that Rival Legacy.
I think they're referring to little-known characters that never got their games officially exported, or ones that aren't that present anymore.

But really though, there's still plenty of mainstream third parties still, so of course they'll focus on those first. They can't have obscure characters for every DLC slot, otherwise there wouldn't be much buyers left.

Besides, there aren't many big-name Japanese companies left that haven't had one of their characters in here yet without resorting to Westward.
The Obscure Nintendo fighters can just be Free DLC updates like that they suddenly got announced out of nowhere, just like the trend back in SSB4.

Last edited by a moderator:

amageish

Smash Master
The Obscure Nintendo fighters can just be Free DLC updates like that they suddenly got announced out of nowhere, just like the trend back in SSB4.
Um. That has never been a trend? Mewtwo and Plant were both free for a limited time only, with all other character DLC costing money. It's possible they will do free DLC at some point, but I honestly don't see why they would do that. Even if it's a more obscure character that not everyone would buy, a paid character 1 million people buy makes far more money then a free character 15 million people download.

D

Deleted member

Um. That has never been a trend? Mewtwo and Plant were both free for a limited time only, with all other character DLC costing money. It's possible they will do free DLC at some point, but I honestly don't see why they would do that. Even if it's a more obscure character that not everyone would buy, a paid character 1 million people buy makes far more money then a free character 15 million people download.
Just for fun bonus. Well, if an Obscure Nintendo character like Lip is to be announced, she must at least have her franchise revived alongside her. Anyway, we should keep supporting Arle's inclusion.... i wonder how crazy it becomes once Arle joins Smash Bros.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
I'd love to have more obscure characters from Nintendo but I believe those kinds require a little bit more developing costs compared to newer and more relevant ones.
Sakurai has said before that renewing older characters takes much more time for supervision. I believe it was from when he talked about Tales of rep.
Newer and popular characters tend to have a lot more design concept art materials than old obscure characters. No official 3D models certainly wouldn't help either. I don't think Sakurai just can't make up whatever he wants without any help from supervisor from that franchise and let it happen in one go even the characters are owned by Nintendo. He is not a Nintendo employee after all.
So I don't see Nintendo giving us revived obscure/old characters as free DLC. If they are going to give us bonus characters then only echoes make sense to me.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I severely doubt they'd give us DLC Echoes anyway when those are primarily used to fill up some remaining spots in the base roster so that the game can get out on time. Closest we'll ever get to that is Roy for 4, and even then he's had some modifications so he wouldn't quite be 1:1 to Marth like Lucina is.

Besides, paid first-party sales can help the staff to afford third-parties that could be tough to get otherwise. I'd expect free DLC more for a game that's clearly having the bulk of its content from the company itself.

Now, one could say "oh, but they could just release third-parties instead". Sure they could, but that wouldn't necessarily work that well anyway if some third-parties are too obscure and they just get diminishing returns from the sales for those.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I severely doubt they'd give us DLC Echoes anyway when those are primarily used to fill up some remaining spots in the base roster so that the game can get out on time. Closest we'll ever get to that is Roy for 4, and even then he's had some modifications so he wouldn't quite be 1:1 to Marth like Lucina is.

Besides, paid first-party sales can help the staff to afford third-parties that could be tough to get otherwise. I'd expect free DLC more for a game that's clearly having the bulk of its content from the company itself.

Now, one could say "oh, but they could just release third-parties instead". Sure they could, but that wouldn't necessarily work that well anyway if some third-parties are too obscure and they just get diminishing returns from the sales for those.
I guess i gotta agree about paid Nintendo DLC Fighter. It's probably because the new Nintendo Fighter will be unique by a LOT of diversity potential. And i think if Arle is the Third Party Puzzle game representative choice for DLC, Nintendo will have no choice but to balance that genre since SEGA has Puyo Puyo, and we all know why, because in order to balance the roster that has Arle in it, Panel de Pon must be revived and Lip should blossom into the roster woth evertone else. Think about it. If Arle makes it into Smash Bros, people would probably be wondering who her rival is, since we can't trust Dr. Mario or a Mii Swordsman wearing Lip's attributes.
I'd love to have more obscure characters from Nintendo but I believe those kinds require a little bit more developing costs compared to newer and more relevant ones.
Sakurai has said before that renewing older characters takes much more time for supervision. I believe it was from when he talked about Tales of rep.
Newer and popular characters tend to have a lot more design concept art materials than old obscure characters. No official 3D models certainly wouldn't help either. I don't think Sakurai just can't make up whatever he wants without any help from supervisor from that franchise and let it happen in one go even the characters are owned by Nintendo. He is not a Nintendo employee after all.
So I don't see Nintendo giving us revived obscure/old characters as free DLC. If they are going to give us bonus characters then only echoes make sense to me.
I see your point there. Just hope that at least Lip is announced despite her spirit and Mii outfit. I am starting to think that supporting Arle for a Puyo Puyo representative in Smash will bring a miracle to Panel de Pon. SEGA has 2 big mascots now, Sonic and Arle, and Nintendo has three, and Nintendo is just one character short: Lip. I mean, i'd like to see Lip become the 4th Mascot of Ninte do after Mario, Link, and Kirby.

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That joke is on-point, as expected from otters guy.

Edit: So is this one, even if it does capitalize on wishful thinking.

not enough votes for gundam smh

Let the UC boys in smash
Another cultured individual, I see.

But man, that poll got sniped quickly. The dang thing can't be seen anymore.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Me: Hey, people are discussing Arle in Smash! I wonder why...

Me: Oh.

[For context, there was a meme thread some rando tagged Sakurai and Harada in, so it isn't the fault of the Arle user or anyone else actually tagged in the call-out.]

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Me: Hey, people are discussing Arle in Smash! I wonder why...

Me: Oh.

[For context, there was a meme thread some rando tagged Sakurai and Harada in, so it isn't the fault of the Arle user or anyone else actually tagged in the call-out.]
Part of it was also #Sora4Smash since it was trending with a lot of people constantly tagging Sakurai as well. If I recall, I think the Sora handle was unfairly grouped into the Harada block spree but it is what it is.

It's a weird situation but don't take it too seriously. He's on the same level as Kamiya who blocked everyone asking for Bayonetta or Wonder-Red during Smash 4 days.

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
This sucks because now I feel Arle's going to be lumped in with the rest of them by the fanbase despite doing literally nothing wrong. They just tweeted in a meme thread and didn't tag any creators or reply to that dude's tweet. I really hope people stick up for that account because I've been following them for a few months now and they would never do something like this.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
As it turns out... I was involved. I was part of the people who spammed him. But even I didn’t know what post. It wasn’t the first, it was the one with the PNG of Arle. That was the one that pissed him off. And... I spread a lie, even if it was my mistake. I feel guilty.

Last edited:

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
As it turns out... I was involved. I was part of the people who spammed him. But even I didn’t know what post. It wasn’t the first, it was the one with the PNG of Arle. That was the one that pissed him off. And... I spread a lie, even if it was my mistake. I feel guilty.
I wouldn't worry about it, it was an honest mistake! It's not like you were trying to annoy any developers, nor were you trying to involve them at all - it was an innocent discussion where they happened to get tagged. No reason to blame yourself for that!

Last edited:

shammah121

Smash Cadet
I'm kinda late to the party but Arle has my support 100%!
I really hope if Arle gets in smash Amitie will be an alternate costume similar to how Alf is for Olimar.
I Know Ringo is just as important as Amitie, but Amitie and Arle have similar spells so it would make the most sense.

amageish

Smash Master
You don't need to feel guilty. It was a well-intended moment of fandom and memes that accidentally pissed off an unintentionally-tagged video game developer. It's not your fault.

Also, like, this doesn't need to be said, but just to say it: If Nintendo is talking to Sega about Arle, telling Sega "Wait, sorry, the producer of the Tekken series got angry at Twitter, so we need to stop these negotiations" would be kind of farcical and would also likely damage relationships with Sega. You don't want to get a reputation for taking up time talking to developers and then just walking away because of Twitter...

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Well, thanks. You guys are really nice, and kind. And have a knack for looking into the truth of the matter.

Still, failing that, I have rebranded the Twitter account somewhat. Besides looks, nothing has changed. Maybe one day I'll go back to the old name but this is for now, while the old account name is tainted.

And considering that, any ideas I might've fancied about being the "Arle for Smash leader" outside of here is rubbish now. I'm very afraid to show my face on anything related to Smash, honestly even here.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Well, thanks. You guys are really nice, and kind. And have a knack for looking into the truth of the matter.

Still, failing that, I have rebranded the Twitter account somewhat. Besides looks, nothing has changed. Maybe one day I'll go back to the old name but this is for now, while the old account name is tainted.

And considering that, any ideas I might've fancied about being the "Arle for Smash leader" outside of here is rubbish now. I'm very afraid to show my face on anything related to Smash, honestly even here.
Hey, don't let it get to you. Like amageish amageish said, there is NO WAY Nintendo would just drop Arle as a possible candidate because the producer of the Tekken series got angry at Twitter. It'd be a REAL dumb move on Ninty's part and their relationship with Sega would sour (especially so when you consider how Puyo Puyo has had at least one game on every Nintendo console, bar the Game & Watch and Virtual Boy).

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
A bunch of people pointed out that Ringo has no belly button in that artwork and it's strange because other characters do have them.

Supporting Arle has been a completely unexpected wild ride. Highs, and lows, all around. It's crazy.

D

Deleted member

We still need Arle as a Fighter there! It would be a Shame if she is left out!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, we're getting the Tetris part of Puyo Puyo Tetris in Smash as spirits! Half-way there!
Given how much of a cheapskate Henk Rogers is, it's no wonder it took this long.

Hey, don't let it get to you. Like amageish amageish said, there is NO WAY Nintendo would just drop Arle as a possible candidate because the producer of the Tekken series got angry at Twitter. It'd be a REAL dumb move on Ninty's part and their relationship with Sega would sour (especially so when you consider how Puyo Puyo has had at least one game on every Nintendo console, bar the Game & Watch and Virtual Boy).
I get the feeling that most of the fanbase can't tell what an industry higher-up's half-joke is anymore unless there's swearing in it.

Last edited:

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Well, we're getting the Tetris part of Puyo Puyo Tetris in Smash as spirits! Half-way there!
Hahaha, the spirit definition is starting to become a stretch :p

"Look! This fighter has been possessed by the spirit of E. Gadd!"
"Wow, this fighter has been possessed by the Wind Fish!"
"Behold! This fighter has been possessed by the T-Block!"

These Tetris blocks are definitely not the first instance of this, but it makes me laugh every time!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hahaha, the spirit definition is starting to become a stretch :p

"Look! This fighter has been possessed by the spirit of E. Gadd!"
"Wow, this fighter has been possessed by the Wind Fish!"
"Behold! This fighter has been possessed by the T-Block!"

These Tetris blocks are definitely not the first instance of this, but it makes me laugh every time!
To be fair, I've always been thinking that spirits have been inspired by the concept of animism, which has been integrated into Japanese culture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animism

This is why you can occasionally see mech pilots treat their rides like a brother, or something like that.

Also, let's not laugh at the fans who unironically want to play as puzzle pieces.

Last edited:

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I first played Puyo pop fever on the ds a long time ago and got stuck in one of the stages. Also remember playing mean bean machine on game gear a few months ago and the same thing happened. I wish I was better at puzzle games...

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, I've always been thinking that spirits have been inspired by the concept of animism, which has been integrated into Japanese culture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animism

This is why you can occasionally see mech pilots treat their rides like a brother, or something like that.

Also, let's not laugh at the fans who unironically want to play as puzzle pieces.
Not laughing at the fans who want the Tetrominoes in! Just saying that it's funny how fighters are getting possessed by them - the same is true of the kart spirits, the Dice Block spirit, etc. It's funny to imagine a dice block trying to beat people up by possessing Mario's mind, especially since it means Galeem had to go out of his way to send a beam of light through a dice block to turn it into a spirit. Seems like a lot of effort for... a dice block or a car. They aren't going to be trying to stop him anytime soon. :p

Interesting point about the possible inspiration though, thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hmmm..... recently, the Fighter Pass characters don't have their own Echo Fighters.... So, if Arle is a Fighter, how would you all react if we suddenly got Amitie as Arle's Echo Fighter?

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Veeery pleased! But Arle's moveset would have to be one that could feasibly suit Amitie. That most likely would mean that Arle's moveset wouldn't reference Madou Monogatari, and Carbuncle would either have to be replaced with Donguri Gaeru, have to be a part of Amitie's moveset, or not be a part of Arle's moveset. Otherwise, it would fall apart as Amitie becomes too distinct and would basically be unique. Since Arle has enough abilities of her own, even without Madou and Carby, it's unlikely she'd need Amitie's help like Simon and Richter.

Still, I've given my piece on what Arle's moveset would be, so... yeah. I think an Amitie Echo would be very pleasing in the way Richter was for Castlevania fans.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
been playing the heck out of Puyo Puyo 2 on Nintendo Switch Online, now I'm hooked

I'd love Arle Nadja in Smash.

Put me on that support list, pronto!

Last edited:

Superiorstar

Smash Cadet
I've known puyo puyo and arle since 2013, the gameplay of the series since 2004. I'd so love arle to finally make it in smash ultimate either post pass or in the pass! I'm in full support of this character!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Oh, shoot. I've been busy, so I haven't been around often. So who wants to be added as supporters?

By the way, I just saw this new GameXplain video by Jon, and I'm SO dead serious, I think he knows something about Arle that we don't. Like, it is REALLY difficult to ignore the fact that he's suddenly getting into Puyo Puyo out of seemingly nowhere, and SEGA themselves seem to be REALLY pushing the Puyo franchise more than ever before.

amageish

Smash Master
Well. Arle seems to have gotten two high-profile-ish mentions recently...

Jon Cartwright of GameXplain took on the role of a SmashTuber with a face-cam video where he discusses how the Tetris blocks are going to be spirits in Ultimate and how this doesn't, in his mind, mean they are not going to be playable further down the line. He then suggests that Arle would be a worthy alternative for a puzzle game rep...

Then, tonight, PapaGenos just casually ended a video discussing a variety of leaks that have been going around lately by arguring in favour of Arle as a likely candidate...

Maybe there was someone who brought Arle into the forefront earlier then this, but that's a lot of Arle discussion for a character who I have regularly had to explain and re-explain the existence of to my friends...

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Surprised no one has noticed that John’s description on Arle is suspiciously extremely detailed despite this allegedly being an unscripted video.

I’ve shared my thoughts in the general thread but I want to point out that I’m almost 102% certain Jon has a wealth of insider knowledge going off of things he’s implied previously.

Another thing is that the things PapaGeno’s pointed out are also suspicious, she does fit the color theory and SEGA is pushing Puyo really hard worldwide.

I don’t wanna say anything yet, but when I have a hunch you better know something is up.

amageish

Smash Master
Surprised no one has noticed that John’s description on Arle is suspiciously extremely detailed despite this allegedly being an unscripted video.

I’ve shared my thoughts in the general thread but I want to point out that I’m almost 102% certain Jon has a wealth of insider knowledge going off of things he’s implied previously.
I... think Jon may just support Arle? He's discussed the possibility of a Tetris block for a long time now and seemed to get interested in Arle pretty naturally during a Twitter discussion of potential female fighters. He's also a generally well-spoken person and obviously had his idea planned in advance.

I'm aware he has effectively leaked things before, but he hasn't done it recently and has also spoken out against the practice on the GameXplain podcast... I think that time may be behind him?

It is kind of odd that he and PapaGenos both did videos about her in a row, but I also think that she is just a cool and likely character who people want to draw attention to? It is kind of weird that we got Puyo Puyo over Kirby's Avalanche, so it is definitely worth discussing her and Puyo Puyo as an IP...

Top Bottom