• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arle Nadja, Puyo Popper Extraordinaire pops into Smash Bros.! (New Management!)

Which Puyo protagonist would you prefer for Smash?

• Total voters

Notshane

Smash Ace
The game is called "esports" in Japan, I think they know exactly what aspect of the game fans like they're aiming for here. Let's at least be thankful you can still show your love for a particular character through the tags, playable or not.
Except for the fact the characters chosen don't offer very unique dropsets from the past games, not warranting the particular amount of "effort" you think they gave them to begin with.

You mean like how most of the Puyo Puyo Tsu cast got axed in Fever? Cast getting shuffled is nothing new, and the only way to spare feelings for any old favourite is to include every character in every game going forward, which will get old fast.
You can read back yourself. I only wanted one game to have every character and I only specified main series, not Quest, which has way more. It makes perfect sense to have one "Ultimate" Puyo Puyo, complete with every mode, character (main series) and track we have had in the series. They could have a retro theme, even (stages only to save resources) and those retro stages could feature the song to match them, such as the original tracks from the first Puyo Puyo being available in their raw Mega Drive audio, to be used specifically for the retro stages (but can still be used elsewhere) and things like that.

If such an "Ultimate" Puyo Puyo existed, you could argue that it would ruin sales of future entries, but at the same time, people do come back for the lore. If they are willing to create "eSports" an entry without any campaign at all, I would be willing to pay twenty, forty...even sixty bucks if it had every (main series) character and enemy we have seen so far, as well as every game mode and the aforesaid bonus idea I thought of where we can even play on a retro-styled stage from the first Puyo Puyo to spice it up even further. eSports only paved the path for us to want an "Ultimate" Puyo Puyo, knowing they are willing to create entries that don't have a campaign mode.

I don't expect such an entry next year, five or even ten years from now. But, the day they confirm it, even if it's an unspecified release date, almost every night will be trouble to sleep as I await it. And I'd still be fine if simply was a collection of every main series character, enemy, stage and game modes. Doesn't even need my idea and I would still be willing to pay full retail for it.

Perhaps, such an idea would not appeal very much to western audiences, but that doesn't mean the game wouldn't sell very well in Japan if such an idea was conceived and executed properly. It is still not very popular overseas, as we have only had about a few games localized (two fairly recently, one over a decade ago), but I bet even a concept like that would interest the new fans.

Since they pour minimal effort into their current sequels, I bet it would only take a normal amount of it to secure an "Ultimate" entry. I don't believe there is really room for pessimism in the Puyo Puyo series, to say they shouldn't do something, because they don't do very much as it is. The fact they're reusing Quest artwork, for instance, shows that they're either preparing a really good anniversary or main series entry next or that they are losing faith in the series. And I even said I'd be okay if this "Ultimate" entry simply reused Quest artwork, as long as said characters were present at all. It would boost appeal and maybe the main series entries would start to see a newfound effort placed into them.

But, for now, let us enjoy eSports. All we can look forward to now is Chronicle maybe coming to Switch with a localization. The next anniversary game won't be for another couple of years and it's unknown if another main series entry is being planned. Oh, and of course, the Nyoki Nyoki game coming to Switch. I really look forward to that.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
If nothing else, I do suspect we will see 30th release over here. There's no real reason for it NOT to anymore, short of some bizarre unforeseen circumstance. I just wish we could get a big-budget title for once instead of the lower budget ones.

On another note, I finally got around to adding those Donguri Gaeru palettes for Amitie, and Carbuncle palettes for Arle. Unfortunately... I can't really DO the other two since they'd be more involved and require a skillset more complicated than "pick color" and "bucket fill".

donguri palette.png
amipalette 2.png

Speaking of Amitie, I revamped her palettes. By that, I mean fixes for Lidelle and Raffina's shoes, and including Red Amitie at the expense of Accord Amitie.

Amitie and Donguri Gaeru, Raffina and Onion Pixie, Sig and Ocean Prince, Klug and the Demon (with some Possessed Klug colors), Lidelle and Yu, Tartar and Rei, Red Amitie and Fever 2, and last but not least Fever 1 both (also known as Popping Amitie and "Popping Gaeru"). Accord and Popoi (with some Evil Popoi colors) are not part of my optimal vision anymore.

For Arle and Carbuncle, they would be much less likely to make sense out of context. Here's a link to this document, which is actually going to tie into my next point!

I have a massive list of Spirits, since I think Puyo's big draw besides the gameplay is the cast, and just about every character of note bar Nohoho (though I do have an idea for him, too), as well as the Tetra Crew (that is, Tee and friends ARE here, but Nohoho is NOT) are here and accounted for. But I'm going to ask for some help on Spirit Battles and Spirit stats, as well as if I should include the other 20th Alts or not.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sega Genesis Mini stream's happening now, you can see Puyo Puyo in the back along other posters.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/06/watch_mega_drive_minis_final_10_games_are_revealed

That being said, Sega ran into financial troubles these last few years that they recently crawled back up from, so things may get better for the Puyo Puyo series, unless enough fans actually like the "low-budget" aesthetics.

Edit: The US line-up's a slam dunk, it even got a few exclusives (unreleased Tetris and a brand-new Genesis port for the first Darius!).

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
So, you might've heard about a certain Twitter. This one.

Truth be told, that's me who is at the helm of the Twitter account. I decided to follow in the footsteps of others, but since Puyo isn't that big of a series, anybody who's new to it can get daily, periodic messages about the series and Madou Monogatari. I intend to be all purpose: Arle for Smash, Newcomer's Guide to Puyo Puyo, Its Lore, But Also Its Gameplay, and more.

I was also thinking of making a Discord. However, I don't know if I should do that or leave it to another.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
restKing_Arle.png
Rking_Arle.jpg

Really like this Arle design from one of those Compile Disc Station games
wouldnt mind some design elements from this mixed with the Sonic Team design

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
View attachment 228119View attachment 228125
Really like this Arle design from one of those Compile Disc Station games
wouldn't mind some design elements from this mixed with the Sonic Team design
Oh, I've seen this before! Big props to Compile for closing out their ownership of Arle with this artstyle.

By the way, does anyone know where I can regain ownership of the Arle thread? I heard Habanero was perma-banned?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Oh, I've seen this before! Big props to Compile for closing out their ownership of Arle with this artstyle.

By the way, does anyone know where I can regain ownership of the Arle thread? I heard Habanero was perma-banned?
You are better off talking to an admin.

Either Cyndane or someone like Venus of the Desert Bloom, preferably in PM's.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I can't believe I'm not on the support list despite how unlikely it may seem... This thread is the reason I found my old password and became a regular poster! I'd lose my mind if Arle made it in.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I don't mind not being Topic Owner since managing three things at once would be hard. I already run the Twitter and will be releasing my Discord publically sometime in the future.

Anyway, two things of note.
  1. The old concepts I had are old and outdated and boring. This is much more representative of what I think her moveset could and should be, among other things. Since Smashkirby seems to be the owner again, if you could link that to the concepts section instead of my older ones, or at least in addition to, that'd be very much appreciated.
  2. Even assuming we're not in the pass, would buying it be a help for next time or a hindrance? (Next time could be next pass, next batch of DLC, or next game, whichever we get.)
    1. It might tell Nintendo that SEGA's characters are worth investing in.
    2. It might also tell Nintendo, and Sakurai, that Atlus has a better lineup than SEGA.
It's a serious, actual dilemma I'm having.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I don't mind not being Topic Owner since managing three things at once would be hard. I already run the Twitter and will be releasing my Discord publically sometime in the future.

Anyway, two things of note.
  1. The old concepts I had are old and outdated and boring. This is much more representative of what I think her moveset could and should be, among other things. Since Smashkirby seems to be the owner again, if you could link that to the concepts section instead of my older ones, or at least in addition to, that'd be very much appreciated.
  2. Even assuming we're not in the pass, would buying it be a help for next time or a hindrance? (Next time could be next pass, next batch of DLC, or next game, whichever we get.)
    1. It might tell Nintendo that SEGA's characters are worth investing in.
    2. It might also tell Nintendo, and Sakurai, that Atlus has a better lineup than SEGA.
It's a serious, actual dilemma I'm having.
Atlus doesnt really have anything bigger than persona at the moment

KillerCage

Smash Master
Even though I just got to know the Puyo Puyo cast through Puyo Puyo Tetris, you can count me as a supporter of Arle.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Remember how I said I was going to make a Discord...?

行っきまーす!Welcome to my ultimate show of love for this series! Now, we have a hub to survive and thrive in!

That being said. This place is still important! It's just much easier for all of us to meet here.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
So, I kinda maybe should’ve brought this up earlier.

There’s some speculation on a game having more DLC characters than we thought would be happening. That game being Puyo eSports and this Puyo Champions.
073B219D-0656-4688-A5D8-0F10854B3DAD.jpeg

B900259B-6C8E-44B5-8FD2-6104B0C124CA.jpeg

As you’ve no doubt noticed, these images contain a particular fan. A fan that has redesigns of the 7* art for Klug, Lidelle, Feli and human Ocean Prince, as well as totally new art for Ms. Accord and Ecolo.

Could this be a sneak peek at DLC characters in eSports/Champions?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, guys, what do you think?

Looma

Smash Journeyman
On the spirits front, I just realized that Joker is practically a perfect fit for a Pierrot Spirit battle. I would lose my mind if some Yon art and music made it into Smash alongside the Sonic Team era stuff...

also the discord link is broken mate

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Hm? I'm surprised to hear that. It should last forever...

Maybe, posting it outright? This should work here.

Also, considering I can't not see Arle come with at least a Doppel color if not an outright alt, I think that Pierrot would probably be repped by Doppel. Joker could see some use for Incubus and Sig, though, so it still works.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I don't think they will make the other DLC characters as puppet fighters
Eh, it's too early to say for certain. That does fall in line with the "can't save replays involving dlc you don't own" shenanigans unfortunately though. At least pink Meta-Knight is also a serviceable option.
Hm? I'm surprised to hear that. It should last forever...

Maybe, posting it outright? This should work here.

Also, considering I can't not see Arle come with at least a Doppel color if not an outright alt, I think that Pierrot would probably be repped by Doppel. Joker could see some use for Incubus and Sig, though, so it still works.
The way I saw the fight working was battling Joker like normal, and then upon defeating him Arle in her Doppelganger alt appears. Suddenly all your stats are reduced, she has increased stats and a Franklin Badge, and she first drops in holding a Black Hole. (also bob-ombs rain from the sky occasionally)

the link worked this time thanks

Notshane

Smash Ace
Eh, it's too early to say for certain. That does fall in line with the "can't save replays involving dlc you don't own" shenanigans unfortunately though. At least pink Meta-Knight is also a serviceable option.
You better not be getting my hopes up. If they are willing to add more Spirit Battles, that continues my faith that Smash Run could possibly come.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Do Compile fans actually hate the Sonic Team art style?

Like the ST style is great, colorful, really highlights the cast and all even gives the series a identity. When I see anything drawn in that style I can automatically assume its from Puyo Puyo. It feels like such weird thing to dislike.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Do Compile fans actually hate the Sonic Team art style?

Like the ST style is great, colorful, really highlights the cast and all even gives the series a identity. When I see anything drawn in that style I can automatically assume its from Puyo Puyo. It feels like such weird thing to dislike.
I certainly don't, I think the Sonic Team style was the best possible evolution for the series post-Compile. It looks a lot better in several aspects and absolutely became a big part of Puyo's identity.

Compile's style was great (and in Yon's case, gorgeous), but it was a relic of Madou Monogatari, from which the series had deviated far away by a certain point. I think the complete style overhaul was reasonable.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Just wanted to mention that Sega Ages Puyo Puyo comes out on the US on August 22, according to the upcoming page on the Switch eShop.

Notshane

Smash Ace
Just wanted to mention that Sega Ages Puyo Puyo comes out on the US on August 22, according to the upcoming page on the Switch eShop.
Now it will say "purchased" on the default eShop. Was hoping I could have supported the game on my main account.

D

Deleted member

Are you sure we can have Arle as a DLC character in this fighter pass? She's 3rd Party!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I know everyone is bumping threads to talk about rumors but hey, why not. There's a new rumor that a female character will be revealed in September and that it's someone who will confuse a lot of people. Arle (or Amitie or Ringo) immediately sprang to mind. Probably nothing but I know I'd be excited.

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah! Please show us Arle, or maybe, i'd like to see an Astral Chain protagonist. I heard Astral Chain is gonna be a good game, and maybe we can have an Astral Chain protagonist in Smash to promote the game! These are two big opportunities! Astral Chain and Puyo Puyo for Smash Oh yeah Puyo Puyo Shobu! it's gonna be exciting! I want to see one of these two, or better: Both!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Meh, most people jumped on the "IT'S TRACER SHE'S IN" bandwagon the minute that Overwatch carrying case got revealed. I mean, how about thinking it's just related to an Overwatch port, yes?

It's funny how the community still goes through the same charade of believing a text leak after not believing average fake leakers again for the 100th time...:facepalm:

Also, this man is smart:

Last edited:

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
Meh, most people jumped on the "IT'S TRACER SHE'S IN" bandwagon the minute that Overwatch carrying case got revealed. I mean, how about thinking it's just related to an Overwatch port, yes?

It's funny how the community still goes through the same charade of believing a text leak after not believing average fake leakers again for the 100th time...:facepalm:

Also, this man is smart:

it would be something interesting that puzzle franchise fight

Looma

Smash Journeyman
My 2 most wanted characters (Arle and Jill) both fit that bill as well as a plethora of other nice ladies. I kinda want this vague 4chan post to be real.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Personally I'd like to see a three-way crossover between Puyo Puyo and those that borrowed it's name, those being Sonic (Dr. Robotnik?) and Kirby (how did Avalanche happen anyway?)

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Nope. Kirby and Dr. Eggman discounted because they don't come from the series, currently there is no Puyo Puyo content in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. (though Puyo twitter has... let's say been given a little tease of something possibly happening, it is only a rumor.)

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Nope. Kirby and Dr. Eggman discounted because they don't come from the series, currently there is no Puyo Puyo content in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. (though Puyo twitter has... let's say been given a little tease of something possibly happening, it is only a rumor.)
Which twitter

the american one has been dead for a year and the japanese one is just marketing that konami baseball game crossing over with puyo puyo quest

Top Bottom