• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arle Nadja, Puyo Popper Extraordinaire pops into Smash Bros.! (New Management!)

Which Puyo protagonist would you prefer for Smash?

• Total voters

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I've been looking through concept artwork looking for possible inspiration. One that always comes to mind is this one below from the All About Puyo Puyo Tsu book. It's Arle's stupid dance from Puyo Puyo Tsu, from the Rally Mode cutscene vs. Panotty. The context is that Panotty plays a song that forces Arle to dance, all for the sake of a cheap laugh.

I kind of want to see this dance referenced with a taunt because it's legitimately funny.

Speaking of taunts, I was also thinking about a taunt referencing her love for curry, while simultaneously referencing the handicap settings from multiple games represented by spiciness.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Heh, can you link to a video of that? It looks pretty funny. :p

Could it work like Bayonetta’s taunt does, maybe, where Arle starts dancing when you press the taunt, and continues to do so indefinitely until you do another movement?

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I've been busy with getting artwork from Waku Waku Puyo Puyo Dungeon, from a guide book in particular. Slowly but surely I'm distributing artwork that hasn't been documented. One in particular has interested me for a brief moment, this piece of artwork of Arle talking with an enemy called a Turtle Puyo.

Thing with the Turtle Puyos is that they're possibly a reference to the Super Mario Bros. games. The shells are highly reminiscent of Koopa shells, right down to the coloration of a typical green Koopa shell. But they also attack you in a similar fashion to a launched Koopa shell, spinning into you to inflict damage. It could also be purely coincidence, though Compile has had similar subtle references to other series like with Street Fighter.

Heh, can you link to a video of that? It looks pretty funny. :p
Yeah here's the Panotty cutscene in question, showing the stupid dance Arle is forced to do.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the link! The cutscene in question starts at 19:15, if anyone else wants to see it. :)

The more art I see of Arle, the more I wonder what design she might go with by default in Smash. I’m sure she’d be in the PuyoPuyo style, but maybe she’d use one of her more armored designs in that style?

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The more art I see of Arle, the more I wonder what design she might go with by default in Smash. I’m sure she’d be in the PuyoPuyo style, but maybe she’d use one of her more armored designs in that style?
If you want my honest opinion, the current one used from Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary onward is possibly the most ideal one. It's a good middle ground between Arle's old design used between Puyo Puyo and Puyo Puyo Sun and her more armored designed used in games like Waku Waku Puyo Puyo Dungeon and Puyo Puyo~n. Which was likely the intention, that and it being symmetrical so the artists don't have to make another set of images.

Though I know people are also fond of her classic design used in those older games. So I could see her also using that for the sake of familiarity. Like as an alternative costume.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, after the confirmation that Bomberman is appearing in Smash Ultimate as an AT, what do you think are the odds of Arle having the same fate?

D

Deleted member

Hey guys, after the confirmation that Bomberman is appearing in Smash Ultimate as an AT, what do you think are the odds of Arle having the same fate?
I was actually just thinking about this last night. I think....maybe. It depends how much farther they’d want to go with third party guest assists. Maybe they only did Bomberman because Konami’s return to Smash is, like...special.

But looking past that, I think she (and Carbuncle) really could! They fit a similar niche of being very long-running and popular, but maybe not quite enough to be an entire fighter.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
It's possible, and it'd probably still be a good step forward. With Ultimate being the way it is, it'd be really unlikely to get Arle into the base roster now, but almost any representation in Smash would be great for her.

Heck, Bomberman's reveal is actually pretty great for most third parties that aren't on Sonic or Cloud's level. Openings for third-party newcomers may be tight, but its not Arle's only option anymore.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's been a while since I've even looked at this thread. Honestly It's because I've been busy with real life circumstances, so I have a bit of catching up to do.

First off let me post this bit of fan art because I felt it was appropriate.

Second at the idea of Arle being an Assist Trophy. That would actually be a good scenario too just because it's at least acknowledgement of the franchise's existence. Kind of like how I felt when they revealed those Mii costumes for Virtua Fighter characters Jacky and Akira. People take it for granted, but any third party content is pretty significant, which is why Bomberman being an Assist Trophy was more positively received than other Assist Trophies.

I keep constantly saying that Super Smash Bros. should be the "ultimate crossover", so every little bit helps to reach this goal. Personally I would be satisfied if Arle was in that role, but I can see why people would be annoyed by that too.

warelander

Smash Journeyman
Getting Arle into the game in any fashion would be a major victory and huge exposure for Puyo Puyo in general, especially towards western audiences. Nothing would replace a playable spot on the roster, but I'd totally accept and appreciate a Arle Assist Trophy as well,

Notshane

Smash Ace
Hey fellas, been a while. I'm sure you're curious to know how I feel about all this by now and I'm sure you also want to hear from me in general since I am pretty sure I haven't been here since the end of last year.

First, the negatives. I was disappointed in how they changed Ice Climbers, Squirtle and Snake in regard to specific moves. That aside, most of what has been introduced to us so far is incredible. I fell into a bit of sadness for a while seeing Takamaru as an Assist Trophy, basically meaning Sakurai really has lost hope for him as a fighter by this point and all those past games where he considered him is a thing of the past. Have to move on. And with the newcomers being minuscule, alongside Sakurai bringing up that we may not get too many new characters, I was really fearful of Arle barely having a chance to compete with the most popular characters.

However, after watching a video today and hearing a popular YouTuber wanting Arle to be the next retro rep, I could not help but grow very excited again. Knowing that Puyo Puyo Tetris has managed to spread so far that she is actually showing up on people's lists of characters, let alone from someone popular, blew me away. And about Puyo Puyo in general, a lot more people are talking about it. And even my friends are starting to think it's fun to watch and always enjoy me playing it now. Really cool stuff, but I digress.

In comparison to how I felt in the last game, I genuinely believe Arle has a real chance now to be in the series. It is knowing that she is now spread overseas outside Japan, and people thinking she is pretty cool, that gives me such a great amount of excitement. And if there is another vote, I know who the first character is that I am going to pick. Though, I believe they may just use the previous ballot results instead to save time since they are already all there.

Ultimate can not come soon enough.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Arle has been having a bigger presence overseas thanks to Puyo Puyo Tetris. I hope that can translate into her being in Ultimate in some way.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Never played it before. But, I'm planning on getting Puyo Puyo Tetris when I get the Switch. Yeah surprise! I don't have the Switch! I do support, though!

Notshane

Smash Ace
I just bought it again on PC as soon as I saw there was a voice toggle. And Satan not being called Dark Prince thanks to the wonderful utility of mods. If only a more direct translation existed, I would never leave this version.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So, today (July 22nd) is Arle's birthday. I want to bring this up because I want to show some perspective of how popular Arle is. I also want to highlight the deceptive nature of popularity in general.

Here's one quick example, which is currently the most popular piece of artwork from the #アルル生誕祭2018 tag. This particular piece of artwork has over 2,000 retweets and 6,000 likes. There are also dozens of other fanart with several of them also catching hundreds of likes or retweets. Note that the tag doesn't feature all the artwork, as some people instead posted artwork without the tag or simply retweeted old artwork.

But I want to emphasize that there is indeed an audience of people that do like her and Carbuncle. This creates the deception of popularity I talked about. While Smash fans may say no one wants her or even knows her, there is evidence to the contrary outside of the Smash community. It's not just Arle either, there are plenty of other examples that have this deception too I could go into detail over. But for now I just want to make people think twice when pushing the narrative of popularity, and I hope they start thinking beyond the Smash community.

Anyway, here's several pieces of fanart I personally like to end this off.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
A lot of Sega composers working on ultimate

That along with Sakurai being the reason why sega released the Sega Ages collection on Switch

Really makes u think.....

smashkirby

Smash Hero

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The polls actually vary. In older Compile polls, Arle and Schezo were commonly the most popular characters. An internal SEGA poll for the 25th anniversary has Carbuncle as number one, while a majority of the polls was dominated by Compile-era characters. Only specific SEGA-era characters charted like Sig and Amitie.

A common theme with these polls though is that the Compile-era characters would typically dominate the results. Like with the Puyo Puyo!! Quest polls, characters like Arle, Witch, Draco, Schezo, etc. would typically be top 5 material. Meanwhile only specific SEGA-era characters like Sig have comparable results. The most likely reasoning is that it's a case of nostalgia, since the Puyo Puyo series was at it's strongest during the mid-90's. Even SEGA themselves are aware of this, since when promoting the Puyo Puyo series they would put emphasis on characters like Arle, Carbuncle, and Suketoudara. Meanwhile SEGA-era characters are limited to Amitie, Ringo, and maybe Sig on occasion.

It's kind of like how the first generation of Pokemon is the most familiar with the general public and naturally gets more attention.

Notshane

Smash Ace
Now, well I don't mean to shoot down our hopes, I believe Simon Belmont will be the star of tomorrow's Direct, primarily due to the leak mentioning "all veterans, Ridley and Simon Belmont" I would like to assume they just delayed his announcement due to the obvious fact that Ridley would've overshadowed him. And I do look forward to his stage, which will have really good music.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very much hoping Arle shows up at the end or in another Direct. I would of course pay as much money as they ask of me if she ends up as a DLC character. Really, I hate leaks. I would like to be proven wrong, but he was mentioned and it makes sense since Konami is clearly involved with this entry, right down to Snake and Bomberman showing up. I do hope they throw in Goemon well they're at it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It would still be more than what her rival Lip currently has.

In all seriousness though, Sega doesn't have too many options for characters to put in without relying on Sonic, if one ignores Atlus. Although having Kazuma Kiryu would be pretty rad and a major score for its fanbase.

Notshane

Smash Ace
(DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO WATCH THE DIRECT)
SIMON BELMONT IS COMING HAHAH NINTENDO ACCIDENTALLY LEAKED IT. Also, a seventh generation Pokémon and Isabelle from Animal Crossing as an Echo Fighter. Not too happy about the others. No Arle, but Simon is one of the characters on my wish list so I am going to buy that Amiibo as soon as they announce it.
Needless to say, my previous list was wrong besides Simon Belmont, but I did not actually expect Richter to join him. That guy was on my wish list, so I can now say I am fully content with whoever else they add in this game. I figured he would have been among the obscure characters that would have never made it, but I feel so happy to be proven wrong.

Really gives me hope that Arle has a chance.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
[As this is my first post in a long, long, long while, please refer to me as Celerity or Celerity910. The username you see I dislike, but that's what I wanted a few years ago. Though, this is optional.]

I'm an Arle supporter elsewhere (you may know me as Gyokuro), and I will be here too. In fact I come bearing a very good gift: a massive write-up that's been around for a long, long while.

The Arle ver. Smash Bros Concept. My greatest work. Feel free to critique it or suggest anything for it.

But now I shall discuss Arle herself, and what she means to me as I remember why I discovered her in the first place. Arle has always been the star in my eyes, ever since I discovered her series five years ago. And I have to thank the Arle for SSB4 thread for introducing her to me properly, as well as Sonic Mega Collection for introducing me to Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. I've seen Puyo throughout my life, be it the aforementioned MBM, Kirby's Avalanche, Puyo Puyo 2 on the Wii Virtual Console (I saw them first, but didn't truly know anything about Arle), and all those times I passed up Puyo Pop Fever. It's grown to the point that she is the first character I have ever imported a game from Japan for. Thus, it's no surprise that I support Arle Nadja (and her alone, however an Amitie Echo Fighter would be wonderful.)

Last edited:

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
[As this is my first post in a long, long, long while, please refer to me as Celerity or Celerity910. The username you see I dislike, but that's what I wanted a few years ago. Though, this is optional.]

I'm an Arle supporter elsewhere (you may know me as Gyokuro), and I will be here too. In fact I come bearing a very good gift: a massive write-up that's been around for a long, long while.

The Arle ver. Smash Bros Concept. My greatest work. Feel free to critique it or suggest anything for it.

But now I shall discuss Arle herself, and what she means to me as I remember why I discovered her in the first place. Arle has always been the star in my eyes, ever since I discovered her series five years ago. And I have to thank the Arle for SSB4 thread for introducing her to me properly, as well as Sonic Mega Collection for introducing me to Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. I've seen Puyo throughout my life, be it the aforementioned MBM, Kirby's Avalanche, Puyo Puyo 2 on the Wii Virtual Console (I saw them first, but didn't truly know anything about Arle), and all those times I passed up Puyo Pop Fever. It's grown to the point that she is the first character I have ever imported a game from Japan for. Thus, it's no surprise that I support Arle Nadja (and her alone, however an Amitie Echo Fighter would be wonderful.)
Welcome back to the site! :) I like a lot of the ideas in your write-up. I remember that this thread talked about Arle getting stronger the more combos she does a while ago, so it's cool to see that you had a similar idea!

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Posting more artwork to show support.

Again I periodically post these sort of images to emphasize the point that there are people that love the character.

But on a slightly different note. I want to warn people ahead of time in the scenario that Arle is shot down either directly or indirectly. Please don't a stink about it. Simply put, I don't want the character to gain infamy just because a few people have poor tolerance. I say this after characters like Waluigi, Daisy, Ashley, and such caused an uproar from a few individuals. In fact that exact behavior is why I am not trying to force Arle on anyone. I know that if I never shut up about Arle, that will only cause an opposite effect where people will just get agitated and drag down the other fans.

I'm not fazed by any of the recent news, but it does make me think about a few things. Like for example, a lot of the newcomers (at least the planned ones like Ridley and Simon) have an emphasis on darker elements, whether it's highlighting Ridley's brutality or the general "horror" theme with the Castlevania content. I could see them plan out a character that purposely contrasts with the darker themes for the sake of diversity. Another thing that makes me think is that they'll likely reveal the rest of the content in October. October itself being a significant date for the Puyo Puyo series, as October 25th was when the first iteration of Puyo Puyo on the MSX2 was released. Like for example, they could do another Smash Direct on October 24th in western territories as a subtle hint. 24 being the recurring goroawase number for the Puyo Puyo series as well as the anniversary of Puyo Puyo in Japan, due to time zone differences.

Pure speculation though, so don't take my word as gospel.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I am prepared for the event Arle is excluded from Smash Bros. I can't, in good faith, see myself considering her a lock no matter how much better things have gotten for her. Ergo, I won't let myself get too surprised or outraged at her total exclusion (let alone if she's in as any form of NPC besides trophy, the latter just gets me hyped for DLC). But until the end, I will have faith.

Also, may I have my concept added to the front page? It's a W.I.P for the teritary content, but the main body (how she would work) is complete.

xNaz

Smash Cadet
Not a bad new fighter choice at all as far as moveset potential goes. Do you have any ideas for content from this game series aside from new fighters?

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
For an item, I had an idea for the Shellfish of Thinking. Imagine if you could have Shadow's effect on anybody, but only one opponent, and only for 10 seconds.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Not a bad new fighter choice at all as far as moveset potential goes. Do you have any ideas for content from this game series aside from new fighters?
Amitie and Ringo as Echoes
Rulue or Schezo or Lagnus as an AT
Satan as a stage hazard

Notshane

Smash Ace
Amitie and Ringo as Echoes
We better not get too greedy now just because Richter got to be an Echo of a newcomer. I would be surprised if we even got Arle at all, let alone an Echo of her. Only Amitie makes sense to me since she is closer to a copy of Arle in more ways than Ringo, right down to going to training for magic and going to a facility that teaches it.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Can I be truly honest? I think Arle’s chances are significantly underestimated by even us, let alone non-supporters. She’s closer to a 40-45%, or even above a 50%. I wouldn’t say she’s a lock, but sub 10%’s, or even sub 20% is pretty dire for somebody where everything is going pretty good. I’d go as far to call her a lock for the game at all, and my 40% minimum is just for playability. Although I would say base game I’m unconfident about, by the DLC era she’s got what it takes to be a front runner.
The big thing that leads me to believe this is that the other Japanese fan faves, who are Assists, were irrelevant and didn’t have the star power of K. Rool to circumvent it. Arle has both and a much bigger western fan base than before. Plus, while Bomberman is an Assist, he’s still Konami series 2, and Castlevania is Konami series 3: Sega, knowing that three series from the same third party is okay, would probably try to give Sakurai and friends the rights to Puyo Puyo properties, well before we knew any of them would appear. They clearly heard the demand for Chronicle getting a Western release (though we got Tetris instead), and know what Smash has done for Fire Emblem AND EarthBound, so I’m pretty sure Arle is all but guaranteed. It’s the playable part that’s uncertain, but we will see her in Smash.
Bold claim but I have to get it off of my chest. I know I’m wrong but if I didn’t admit I can’t help but see Arle as a semi-lock I’d go mad. Also no offense to team Ashley or team Krystal, just making a point in my overspeculative head.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also, may I have my concept added to the front page? It's a W.I.P for the teritary content, but the main body (how she would work) is complete.
I would be interested in this concept. Actually I was thinking of coming up with concepts myself, ranging from miscellaneous animations to special attacks.

But in your case, either post them when your finished or just simply post them now. Anything is fair game.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Here it is, as a spoiler compilation.

Weight: Lucas’ weight base, since Carby isn’t that light.
Walk Speed: R.O.B’s.
Run Speed: Bowser’s.
Air Speed: Lucario’s.
Height: Above Young Link’s. Carby is proportionally small.
Fall Speed: Wario’s. Fast falls just shy of Fox’s.
Traction: Ike’s.
Jump Height: Olimar’s normal, Link’s short, Luigi’s in the air.
Can Wall Jump, but cannot crawl. Carby isn’t hittable, just more hitboxes.

Gimmick (if needed): Arle would have two gimmicks possible which reference her home series. First is the combo mechanic that defines Puyo matches: her first hit is not particularly powerful, but they gradually deal more and more damage, until her finishing blows are very powerful. Second is an All Clear mechanic, which would increase the power of her next spell by 1.5x (any attack with a name) after removing all of her opponents from the stage [they must all be dead at once for this to count]. It is also possible, like Sonic, that she has no gimmick and fights in a straightforward manner.

Jab: Two punches, followed by a headbutt. 2, 2, 4%.
Dash Attack: Swings Carbuncle [henceforth Carby] in front of her. 6%.
Grab: While Arle herself grabs in front of her, Carby sticks his tongue out to grab behind her. Arle has Sonic’s reach, Carby has Yoshi’s. She can grab in the air, which deals 6% damage and could be a tether.
Pummel: Carby bounces on his opponent. 3%, doesn’t chain into itself or count as a combo.

Forward Tilt: Smacks her opponent, backhand. 7%.
Up Tilt: Throws Carby upwards, and he twirls around. 6%, but 9% if you hit the gem.
Down Tilt: A sweeping kick. 5%.

Forward Smash: Thunder: Arle blasts lightning from her hands. 13~22% Electric.
Up Smash: Judgement/Jugem: Sends a ball of light into the air that explodes. 11~20%.
Down Smash: Mind Blast/Brain Dumbed: Sends out psionic waves all around her. 10~19% damage, stuns opponents.

Neutral Air: Spins around a Green Puyo. 5%.
Forward Air: Swings a Red Puyo in front of her. 4% Fire.
Backwards Air: Carby swings a Blue Puyo behind Arle. 4% Water.
Upwards Air: Arle throws a Yellow Puyo above her. 4% Electric.
Downwards Air: Carby throws a Purple Puyo below him. 4% Darkness.

Forward Throw: Punts her opponent. 9%.
Backwards Throw: Carbuncle blasts the opponent with his laser beam. 6% Fire.
Upwards Throw: Carbuncle and Arle chuck four Puyo above them, then their unfortunate target into them, and they pop after. 2% at the throw, 2% per pop. No elements.
Downwards Throw: Throws hot curry on her opponent. 7% Fire.

Neutral Special: Arle Shield & Ice Storm: Outside of a Shield, Arle will use Ice Storm with Carbuncle, which sends giant snowflakes to her opponent. They deal 10% Ice damage, and can freeze. After three uses, it cannot be used for the next six seconds. In her shield, Arle instead uses Arle Shield or “Ruipanko”, which reflects projectiles on contact for 15 seconds but replaces her shield. It has a cooldown of three seconds.
Side Special: Fireball/Fire: Arle shoots 5 fireballs from her right hand one at a time. Carby, meanwhile, shoots 3 behind her in different directions at once. 6% individually.
Up Special: Heaven’s Ray: On the ground, Arle and Carby will shoot a laser beam upwards. While it is stronger than Judgement, Arle leaves herself defenseless on the ground. In the air, Arle rides the beam upward, which has great vertical distance but only okay horizontal distance and leaves her helpless afterwards. 15% grounded, 11% in the air.
Down Special: Diacute “Diamond Cutie”: Increases the power of her next named attack by 3%. Can be used up to three times, and every time she does this, she will stutter the name of that attack. (Fireball, Ice Storm, Mind Blast, Heaven’s Ray, Thunder, Judgement, Bayoeen).
Final Smash: Bayoeen: First, Arle pops a bunch of Puyo, then she and Carby leap upwards and have a massive flower storm. The flowers deal 24% damage, stuns opponents, and flowers them for more damage. The Puyo deal 11% each, and have very high knockback.

Idle 1: Arle pokes her fingers together. Carby imitates her.
Idle 2: Arle makes a “huh?” face as Carby thinks about something.
Up Taunt: Arle points to her opponent and says “Let’s play! (Puyo shobu!)”. Carby dances.
Side Taunt: Arle juggles Carby with two Yellow Mascots (), and he is left dizzy afterwards.
Down Taunt: Arle imitates her victory sprite from Fever 1, and Carby imitates his victory sprite from SUN.

Stage Appearance: Four Puyo of a random color (all of them the same color) fall on the field. When they pop, Arle and Carbuncle show up.
Up Victory: Literally their animation from Tetris. “We did it, Carby! (Yatta ne, Kaa-kun!) Gu gu!”
Side Victory: Carbuncle bounces on a Puyo while Arle imitates her victory pose from 20th Anniversary.
Down Victory: The two wolf down all the curry they can eat.
Defeat: Arle sits on the floor, dazed and hurt. Carbuncle manages to clap just fine, though.

Character Concept: Arle is a puzzle game heroine, with a pet who is capable of some combat and her own set of magical spells. At least 7 of them are important. Her primary game series is about combos, so Arle’s attacks should grow exponentially more powerful the more combos she can get, until her finishing blows are extremely powerful, but her individual attacks are not very powerful. In addition, if all of her opponents are knocked off of the screen, she gets an All Clear. She is built with 1 vs. 1 in mind, and is hard to use in free-for-alls, as her opponents can combo her back. Theme: Combo Magician.

Colors: SEGA Arle and Carby, Amitie & Donguri Gaeru, Ringo & Ecolo, Ally and Ocean Prince, Satan and Carbuncle/Popoi, Compile Arle and Carbuncle
Costumes: Doppelganger Arle and Masked Carbuncle, Dark Arle and Dark Carbuncle
Puzzle games in Smash get the short end of the stick. A clone is the only playable character from a puzzler, no stages and hardly any tertiary content [music, Assists, trophies, etc.] comes from puzzle games. Despite the fact that they’re actually a very significant part of gaming history. Not only that, but the Nintendo Switch has helped Puyo out significantly and this is a big break for the series it has awaited. Arle has a massive history with the Big N: every single one of her major releases is obtainable on a Nintendo console, and she goes as far back as the NES/Famicom era, not to mention her most relevant games being on the Nintendo Switch and 3DS. Arle herself is also notable as being a massive puzzle star in Japan from the 90’s that is still an icon today, to the extent that one could make the serious argument that in Japan, Puyo Puyo is comparable as, if not quite equal or more than, a flagship series to SEGA than even Sonic the Hedgehog, all thanks to Puyo Puyo!! Quest. She’s even ranked fairly high in at least one Smash Ballot poll for the Japanese’s most wanted, and the majority of the characters thus far are western focused. She's one of the biggest remaining choices for a Japanese pick.
Series Symbol: A Green Puyo.
Possible Items: Shellfish of Thinking - Slows down your enemies when you hit them with it. After 10 seconds, they move at normal speed. Sun Puyo - Pop it with an attack, and the next attack you do will have increased power.
Music:
  1. Arle’s Theme, obviously (alt version)
  2. The Untrained Demon King Ultimate Legend (alt version)
  3. Surge of Crimson Shouts
  4. Request from Puyo Puyo
  5. Final of Puyo Puyo (different name but same general song) (Sonic Mania version)
  6. Last of Puyo Puyo 2
  7. Darkness of Puyo Puyo 2
  8. Tokoton from Puyo Puyo (alt version)
  9. Taisen 9 (Puyo 7)
  10. Normal Mode (Puyo SUN)
  11. Last Decisive Battle? (Puyo 4)
  12. The End of Puyo Puyo (Puyo 4)
  13. Taisen 10 (Puyo Puyo 7)
  14. Carbuncle’s Theme
  15. Fun Puyo Puyo Hell (alt version)
  16. Domination (Chronicle)
  17. Fever Medley (a compilation of the various Fever themes across the series. Fever 1, Fever 2, 15th, 7, 20th, Chronicle, Transformation.)
  18. Preparation OK! Lady 2 Fight (Puyo 4)
  19. Let’s Play with a Rival
  20. Rising Comet
  21. Taisen 7 (Puyo 7)
  22. Play Thoroughly the Puyo Puyo
  23. Puyo Chronicle Normal Battle
  24. Final Pair Deathmatch!
  25. Dimension Stage ~ Decisive Battle

Victory Theme: Chapter Clear/Story Clear from Puyo 7 and 20th.

Assist Trophy: Witch. Witch rides on her broom, casting various spells from above, and always finishes with Big Bang/Supernova before leaving. Attackable, but does not earn a point.

Alternate Assist Trophy: Schezo Wegey. Schezo attacks with the Sword of Darkness, with a final blow in his Areiado [“R-A-odd-oh”] Special/Shockwave attack. Attackable, and can be defeated for a point.

Normal Trophies: [Description Link. Partial W.I.P.]

1. Arle Nadja - Fighter
  2. Arle Nadja Smash [Doppel/Dark for Alts, Classic for Color] - Smasher
  3. Bayoeen - Final Smash
  4. Stage - [It’s the stage they choose.]
  5. Satan - Boss (Story/Spirits/Stage)
  6. Carbuncle - Fighter Associate
  7. Rulue - Background
  8. Schezo Wegey - Assist/Background
  9. Amitie - Echo/Background
  10. Ringo - Background
  11. Ally - Background
  12. Witch - Assist/Background
  13. Skeleton-T - Background
  14. Draco Centauros - Hazard
  15. Suketoudara - Background
  16. Sig - Background
  17. Raffina - Background
  18. Maguro - Background/Another game
  19. Risukuma - Background/Another game
  20. Ecolo - Stage Boss
  21. Ms. Accord - Hazard/Background
  22. Yu and Rei - Hazard/Background/Another game
  23. Harpy - Hazard/Another game
  24. Rafisol - Rip from another game
1: Pwurp Island - Much like Skyloft, this would be a tour stage where you visit the various locales. You might spot a Paprisu or two running around! Of course, Puyo would leap around and be a bit of a nuisance. They don’t enter the fray either, just distract you. Stick around and some Puyo regulars will show up: Suketoudara, Sig, Draco Centauros, and more. The Battlefield and Omega versions just float above the entire island.
2: Primp Magic School - This is where many kids go to learn their magic. Not Arle, but she’s been there at least once, and is probably the most notable recurring location in the series. Ms. Accord is out giving her students Sig, Tarutaru, Raffina, Lidelle, and Klug assignments. Amitie isn’t at class, but if she’s not fighting then she is at class. Yu and Rei might come here to haunt for a little bit, only to leave. The alternate versions float above the castle, held aloft by Yu and Rei.
3: Puyo Puyo Circus - Feast your eyes on the greatest festival in all of Puyo history! At least one of these stages could be from Arle’s world, and what better than an actual locale? You would start outside the tent in this stage, but as you fight the background would change. In the first part, you can see Rulue and Satan alongside a jester called Pierrot, but they aren’t there if Arle is her Doppel alt. Inside the tent, Skeleton-T, Archan, and Kikimora can be seen. In the fire portion, there’s Panotty and Draco Centauros. In the water portion, there’s Nohoho, Seriri and Suketoudara. In the sky, Harpy flies about (if Witch isn’t an assist trophy, she’s there too). In the ruins, Dragon finally makes his return to gaming in 18 years, alongside Chico (and non-assist Schezo). Then we go back outside.
4: Tower of Color - At the center of Ally's world entirely is this beautiful thing. It's fought on the outside pedestal with the stars of the five colors. You can see enemies from Puyo Chronicle around like Rammits, and even some of your allies like Ally. It's got Rafisol, too, who might attack or just watch from the highest point of the tower. In the distance, you can see Yellowme and Purplune Towns.
In all of these possible stages, if a stage boss is desired, Ecolo would be my first choice. When Puyo start raining from the sky, that's your cue that Ecolo has come. Ecolo would use "his" spells to attack the stage [Liar, Swindle, Fake Speech, etc.]. Like Ridley before him, he would join the player who defeats him first, though he wouldn't change to his Unusual form any time soon. When he is defeated for the second time, he gives a point to the player who defeated him and doesn't appear until the next match.

Now in that moveset, I don't have something very common: Arle having a dedicated Puyo system. That is more of a defensive thing, whereas I see Arle as an offensive character that references her home series moreso in spirit than in visual effects and literal mechanics.

Last edited:

DuckHuntDork

Smash Rookie
NNID
TripleChin
3DS FC
1332-8230-8977
Switch FC
SW-5201-3372-9343
After playing Kirby's Avalanche once, I can safely say that I'd love Arle in Smash.
Full support!

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I have my idea for Arle's reveal trailer on the document, but honestly, no matter how it would end up, it has to be Kirby who she takes out. Nobody else would feel halfway as fitting as Arle getting revenge on the pink puffball who denied her a Super Puyo Puyo US/EU release. Sonic would just be caught in the crossfire of Eggman's actions, Dr. Mario is Mario who was in Ridley's trailer (and still doesn't deserve it), and nobody else has a major history of puzzle games, let alone any history with Puyo Puyo. This is Arle's only chance to take revenge against Kirby. (I love the little guy, but he kinda has it coming. It just fits too well. I'm inspired by the K. Rool trailer having his Mii Costume as a gag to how unpopular it was, and Ridley hitting the "big" time.)

Edit: to restart discussion I have a new topic. What would Arle's design actually be if she made the cut? AT Arle will look a lot like she did in Chronicle, but Fighter #XX Arle might not even have the Sega era look. Judging by K. Rool and Ridley and Simon, Arle may have her Compile style back as a playable fighter. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Anyone remeber that time the puyo puyo artist did art for that professor layton expy by Konami

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
I'm prepared for an Assist Trophy cameo at best, and honestly, I hope campaigning for AT cameos becomes a thing. It's a far-less demanding request for what's still an appearance in Super Smash , and the category's been filling up with a lot of good names in it.

Ultimate's characters choices are really fandom driven. While I hope Arle's support-dom gets big enough for the next Smash title, it didn't have the chance to really grow until Ryu broke the "one character per third-party" perception, which is really late relative to Ultimate's development schedule.. Of course Sega would like Arle to get into Smash, but everyone wants their characters to be in Smash - that hasn't obstructed the fact that the third-parties who do get in are those who Sakurai actually asks for, and not those that the companies want to push. Sakurai hasn't given any special attention to Puyo Puyo before, let alone Madou Monogatari, so a big-enough voice will probably be Arle's best shot of getting in as a playable character.

Last edited:
Top Bottom