• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arkansas Smashers Chat

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I'd say we've all played and enjoyed it, but not currently.
I assume the LoL has consumed any of your potential TF2 time. No one in Springfield has been Smashing, so I've just been playing TF2 when I get spare time.

blulitskye

Smash Rookie
is anyone playing LoL?? geez... it's a barren wasteland of angry ppl blaming each other for our teams failures.. @.@:;

G. Vice

Smash Lord
LOL last night. I have never seen ONE man give so many games away. A truly spectacular triumph. GOOD JOB YOSHIMAN. ;)
Yoshi's a beast. He'll always be better than you at giving games away and losing, Adam. Leave him alone and go back to winning. That's all you can do. You suck.

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
So for ARK V, is it possible for those bringing setups to give them to me a day or two before the tournament? I'd like to have everything ready before tourney day so we can get everything organized.

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States of America
I've already told arby, but just so the rest of you know, I'll be receiving my money on monday.

First plan of action: Get my drivers license.
2nd: Get a vehicle. Hopefully one with a lot of room. We shall see.
3rd: Put in my two week notice and then come visit you guys for a while and figure out some college stuff.
4th: maybe go on a road trip.

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
Is there free venue fee if we do?
The short answer is no. There are several reasons why we've never waived venue fee for bringing setups. We run this tournament as a "by the community, for the community" event.

In any case, there are several changes from previous years. I'll go over them briefly-

1) Venue fee is now $20 (online) with no free pizza and drinks. As a result, the leaders of ARK V are sponsoring bonus pots for several games. $600 goes into the Marvel pot. $600 goes into the Street Fighter pot. Other games will get smaller pots added on. The Marvel/Street Fighter BONUS pots will be split evenly among top 3 finishers. The tourney pots will be distributed as we've done in the past. If we have any money left over, it will go into future tournament equipment.

2) We will be doing online registration. On site registration is $25 venue fee at the door.

3) We will be running a pool system for all games. If someone wants to educate me on how Melee does it, please do. I was going to do it like how Street Fighter does it (separate pools of like 16-32 people each; two qualifiers make it out of each pool. Then it becomes a Top 4/8/16 (2x however many pools we have) double elimination bracket.

4) I want everything to be two days so if you qualify for Top 4/8/16 (or whatever) then you have to come back Sunday.

Points three and four are negotiable. I know how Smash does things isn't exactly how other fighting game tournies do things, so give me feedback please.

And I would like to have 4-5 gamecubes at least for the tournament. I can provide the TVs.

Raven_Knight

Smash Rookie
The short answer is no. There are several reasons why we've never waived venue fee for bringing setups. We run this tournament as a "by the community, for the community" event.

In any case, there are several changes from previous years. I'll go over them briefly-

1) Venue fee is now $20 (online) with no free pizza and drinks. As a result, the leaders of ARK V are sponsoring bonus pots for several games. $600 goes into the Marvel pot. $600 goes into the Street Fighter pot. Other games will get smaller pots added on. The Marvel/Street Fighter BONUS pots will be split evenly among top 3 finishers. The tourney pots will be distributed as we've done in the past. If we have any money left over, it will go into future tournament equipment.

2) We will be doing online registration. On site registration is $25 venue fee at the door.

3) We will be running a pool system for all games. If someone wants to educate me on how Melee does it, please do. I was going to do it like how Street Fighter does it (separate pools of like 16-32 people each; two qualifiers make it out of each pool. Then it becomes a Top 4/8/16 (2x however many pools we have) double elimination bracket.

4) I want everything to be two days so if you qualify for Top 4/8/16 (or whatever) then you have to come back Sunday.

Points three and four are negotiable. I know how Smash does things isn't exactly how other fighting game tournies do things, so give me feedback please.

And I would like to have 4-5 gamecubes at least for the tournament. I can provide the TVs.
20 dollar venue is kind of high especially with no refreshments provided. Add that onto a 10 dollar entry fee for singles and 20 dollar entry fee for doubles. Added together its almost a 50 dollar tournament in which we will primarily play against each other with maybe a couple of Memphis guys showing up to try to take away all the prizes (And if Iori and IHSB show up they have a damn good chance of doing just that). All so that marvel guys can have a 600 dollar pot.
Sounds kind of like a pain in the ***

G. Vice

Smash Lord
20 dollar venue is kind of high especially with no refreshments provided. Add that onto a 10 dollar entry fee for singles and 20 dollar entry fee for doubles. Added together its almost a 50 dollar tournament in which we will primarily play against each other with maybe a couple of Memphis guys showing up to try to take away all the prizes (And if Iori and IHSB show up they have a damn good chance of doing just that). All so that marvel guys can have a 600 dollar pot.
Sounds kind of like a pain in the ***
Pretty much.

Raven_Knight

Smash Rookie
Well, I've talked to aruustos, yoshi, and hare and myself.
I don't think any of us are planning on going to Ark V.
Just too expensive for such a little tourny without even the refreshments
that expensive venue fees are usually for. And plus its 2 days. Seems
like a major waste of energy.
I hope the StF and Marvel guys have fun because I'm not paying so that they
can have a 600 dollar pot.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Pretty much.

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
Alright. Sorry we couldn't work something out. I'll cancel the Melee event then.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I think Memphis or Arkansas should promote a tourney soon. I can talk to sleepy and see if he has ideas on were it could be held. That is if we can get a decent turnout.
Iori is hustlin' up a tourney. He must be short on bank lookin' to cash in on the melee scene.

We'll use our secret weapon Arby. He'll destroy Iori, and that'll leave Jack wide open to win the tourney. Jack, I'll throw our match for a cut of the profits...we all know I can't beat Chambers and there's no guarantee I can make it through any of the falco mains that'll show up.

Dark Iori Yagami

Smash Lord
Iori is hustlin' up a tourney. He must be short on bank lookin' to cash in on the melee scene.

We'll use our secret weapon Arby. He'll destroy Iori, and that'll leave Jack wide open to win the tourney. Jack, I'll throw our match for a cut of the profits...we all know I can't beat Chambers and there's no guarantee I can make it through any of the falco mains that'll show up.
Not true dog, I just wanted to go to ARK5 is all. I was looking forward to it :embarrass:, in addition I just picked back up ssf4 and while I'm not that great I was looking to speak to other zangief's for advice. (thats right he exists) Plus it would give me an excuse to come visit you guys and my old buddy tony. I only offered the idea because it was dropped and I'm sure others weren't happy about the way ARK5 is being run this year. (no offense to them of course) Plus you know you lucked up with that money match :glare:

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Not true dog, I just wanted to go to ARK5 is all. I was looking forward to it :embarrass:, in addition I just picked back up ssf4 and while I'm not that great I was looking to speak to other zangief's for advice. (thats right he exists) Plus it would give me an excuse to come visit you guys and my old buddy tony. I only offered the idea because it was dropped and I'm sure others weren't happy about the way ARK5 is being run this year. (no offense to them of course) Plus you know you lucked up with that money match :glare:
Lol, bro I never said I could beat you. That's why we have Arby :)

And I wanna see you too man, can't I mess with you anymore without you guilting me about my jokes? Don't you know that the RN in my name actually stands for 'real nice?' :(

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Alright. Sorry we couldn't work something out. I'll cancel the Melee event then.
I think the real issue is that ARK is happening a couple weeks after this huge Smash international. Most of us are going to that, and dropping some serious dough along the way. Spending about the same amount so soon after (for a much much smaller tourney) just doesn't sound appealing. You've done a lot for us (like a WHOLE lot), and we all really appreciate it. It's just this time isn't gonna work out :\

Good luck with your future plans though. On to bigger and better dreams!

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I think the real issue is that ARK is happening a couple weeks after this huge Smash international. Most of us are going to that, and dropping some serious dough along the way. Spending about the same amount so soon after (for a much much smaller tourney) just doesn't sound appealing. You've done a lot for us (like a WHOLE lot), and we all really appreciate it. It's just this time isn't gonna work out :\

Well, it's that and the fact that we get no pizza. 20 bucks for games, pizza, and drinks ain't bad. 20 bucks to ensure that Justin Wong makes extra money? Nah, I'll save it and go to FC where there will be 300+ smashers only.

but yes, much <3 for Max. No hard feelings...except that you took my pizza away :/

edit* also, I'm seriously considering picking up Persona 4 Arena because I love the persona games...anyone else interested besides Seif?

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
Read my response below. I might have a solution for you guys. PxG Snake Eyes (probably the best Zangief in the nation) will be flying in from California. You can get some advice from if you decide to go.

So I have an idea that may appeal to you guys. Let me know if this will work out.
Spectating is free at ARK V. Since you guys are primarily Smash guys, you probably won't be entering anything else (and forced to pay the $20 venue fee). If you guys want to walk in, set up Melee on one of the tables, and run your own side tournament, that's completely fine with me. Normally I tell people that if they want to run a side tournament, it has to be during the afterparty but that's because I don't want their side tournament to interfere with main tournament matches making our tournament run late again.

The only thing is, I won't be able to help any with this. It will be taken off as a main tournament and I won't be able to support it (bringing TVs, running brackets, setting up, tearing down, etc.) except to put it in the ARK V thread (at your request) which may attract people. I can make the official ARK V Smash side tournament thread here, but I don't have time to advertise it everywhere in all the regional threads like I did for previous ARKs. But I'm sure you guys have connections. If this is okay with you guys, I only ask that you let the people who enter know that the main tournaments won't wait for them. If they are up for a match, they have a chance of being forfeited if they don't come ASAP.

Let me know what you think. No venue fee (unless you enter an official game), you guys can run whatever/however you want, and you have the added benefit of potentially getting all those out of staters who happen to play Melee to play with you guys. If you guys have a banner or fliers for the company y'all are trying to start up, feel free to advertise it as well. I don't know for a fact how much space we can get you guys, but I'm thinking maybe a table or two.
Well, it's that and the fact that we get no pizza. 20 bucks for games, pizza, and drinks ain't bad. 20 bucks to ensure that Justin Wong makes extra money? Nah, I'll save it and go to FC where there will be 300+ smashers only.

but yes, much <3 for Max. No hard feelings.
No hard feelings. I know where you guys are coming from. I also understand the JWong issue that's why the pot bonuses will be split 33/33/33 instead of 70% to Justin. Justin's probably already going to win all the money, might as well give some to the rest of the players as well.

Top Bottom