• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are Young Link and Dr. Mario kinda like Melee Link & Mario?

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I would have either dropped FLUDD or worked it into Suoer Jump Punch as a chargeable Up Special since FLUDD had a jump boost mode and then for his new Down Special, have him throw Cappy around himself.

I do think WarioLand and Wario's other platformers got the short end of the stick. How much content have we had so far? Overalls Wario, Wario World sticker, shoulder attack, and one music track if I recall. One of the main reasons why I really want Captain Syrup, especially given how Ultimate's DLC is going to be handled.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Still beats Wario, who only has a handful of normal moves from Wario Land/World and only one actual non-FS special move that directly references Wario Ware.

And yet I don't mind it anyway.
Still beats Captain Falcon whom's moveset except his Final Smash is completely from Smash. In Smash64 and Melee Captain Falcon's moveset was 100% original to Smash.

I would have either dropped FLUDD or worked it into Suoer Jump Punch as a chargeable Up Special since FLUDD had a jump boost mode and then for his new Down Special, have him throw Cappy around himself.
I would not drop FLUDD since I think Sunshine is too important to be ignored. I also like that they went with the default FLUDD since that is much more recognizable since it is the mode that he is in in all cutscenes and it is the only mode that is always available. I like what they did with FLUDD a lot.

I guess it would make more sense to replace FLUDD with Cappy as his vB and then reduce FLUDD to a taunt or something like that since at the moment Odyssey is much more relevant than Sunshine but personally I like FLUDD better as a character so I am glad they did not do it.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I do think WarioLand and Wario's other platformers got the short end of the stick. How much content have we had so far? Overalls Wario, Wario World sticker, shoulder attack, and one music track if I recall. One of the main reasons why I really want Captain Syrup, especially given how Ultimate's DLC is going to be handled.
Also, Wild Swing Ding as the forward throw. Some claim the down throw was changed to reflect Wario World, too.

At this stage, I doubt Captain Syrup will be showing up as DLC, so I sincerely hope that people will support her more going forward now that two of the biggest wants are in (also, the Ware cast in general, but that goes without saying). I appreciate your enthusiasm though.

Granted, we do have spirits of Teen Shokora and Count Cannoli as new Wario content, so that's a start.

Still beats Captain Falcon whom's moveset except his Final Smash is completely from Smash. In Smash64 and Melee Captain Falcon's moveset was 100% original to Smash.
To be fair to him, he's from a racing franchise, so there wasn't anything for him to use there outside of the Blue Falcon. :p

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
To be fair to him, he's from a racing franchise, so there wasn't anything for him to use there outside of the Blue Falcon. :p
True. They actually did quite well for Captain Falcon. His speed, power, close-ranged fighting, fire, and explosions all resemble how F-Zero machines are. They are fast and powerful machines that use fire to boost their speed, fight up close by ramming the opponent, and explode when they crash.

On top of that Captain Falcon's moveset has probably the most iconic moves of all characters. Falcon Punch, Show Ya Moves, Falcon Kick, and Knee of Justice are arguably all in the top 10 of iconic moves in in Smash. Perhaps even top 5.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Also, Wild Swing Ding as the forward throw. Some claim the down throw was changed to reflect Wario World, too.

At this stage, I doubt Captain Syrup will be showing up as DLC, so I sincerely hope that people will support her more going forward now that two of the biggest wants are in (also, the Ware cast in general, but that goes without saying). I appreciate your enthusiasm though.

Granted, we do have spirits of Teen Shokora and Count Cannoli as new Wario content, so that's a start.
And the Shake King.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Just play the old games if you're so allergic to change. Would this be a problem had Link used remote bombs from the beginning?
Of course it wouldn't be a problem.

But stop talking down on me like I don't like change. It's a question of ethics. You can't just change moves from one game to the next in a fighting game: most people expect characters to have particular capabilities throughout installments.

People who want characters to be more "updated" in Smash have no thought towards actual design or series expectations.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight

But stop talking down on me like I don't like change. It's a question of ethics. You can't just change moves from one game to the next in a fighting game: most people expect characters to have particular capabilities throughout installments.

People who want characters to be more "updated" in Smash have no thought towards actual design or series expectations.
"Ethics"

This again? Get off that subject. You know better than to use that fallacious concept as an argument against good game design.

On top of that Captain Falcon's moveset has probably the most iconic moves of all characters. Falcon Punch, Show Ya Moves, Falcon Kick, and Knee of Justice are arguably all in the top 10 of iconic moves in in Smash. Perhaps even top 5.
Now, I wonder why that is. The only inspiration for his moveset was merely the focus and feel of his home series, and they took that to the bank. In fact, his moves have become so iconic that people often forget that Smash invented the moves and he's never once used them in canon. Although, the end credits song for F-Zero GX mentions the Falcon Punch by name, but it still wasn't shown. Of course, that didn't matter once the anime used it and forever memefied the attack and cemented it in the annals of internet history, forever.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Yeah, I'm sure Zangief players were livid when he got a Banishing Flat to counter projectiles.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Yeah, I'm sure Zangief players were livid when he got a Banishing Flat to counter projectiles.
That was an addition to Gief's moveset that left everything else intact. Much different from the abomination of BotW Link's moveset that outright replaces moves.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That was an addition to Gief's moveset that left everything else intact. Much different from the abomination of BotW Link's moveset that outright replaces moves.
Link is too slow to make his ''intended'' playstyle with old bombs work well, gotta face the reality here.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Link is too slow to make his ''intended'' playstyle with old bombs work well, gotta face the reality here.
Which is more a problem with Smash's engine being unable to properly balance hitstun with attack speed. If it weren't for that, the spow characters would be more versatile.

Top Bottom