• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Are you tired of the RPG characters getting ignored in Kart, Party, and sports spinoffs?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Especially considering that instead of giving consideration to the different forms of Mario and Peach (Baby Mario, Metal Mario, Raccoon Mario, and oddly NOT Dr. Mario) in Mario Kart 8. It's getting tiring since the RPGs have such a huge fan following and they're doing their best to ignore some of these well-loved characters.

Of course, there's Geno and his incredibly rabid fanbase, but I personally don't like him particularly more than any of the other RPG characters. But I still want him along with all the other RPG characters to actually get recognized by the greater Mario franchise instead of being left to rot and be forgotten.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Well of course. There are tons of characters who deserved to be in over the babies and metal forms in Mario Kart 8. I mean...is it hard to add King Boo, Dixie, Diddy, Birdo, Dry Bones, Bowser Jr, and Funky? Probably not

Quillion

Smash Hero
Well of course. There are tons of characters who deserved to be in over the babies and metal forms in Mario Kart 8. I mean...is it hard to add King Boo, Dixie, Diddy, Birdo, Dry Bones, Bowser Jr, and Funky? Probably not
At least with the the babies and other Marios, they can recycle models and animations. Saves a lot of time.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
nintendo are too lazy to make a 3d model for a chraracter from RPG game look at the lazy chractars that we got in sports kart party games the only character from RPG game that made it into the main seires was goomboss (king goomba)

finalark

SNORLAX
The Star Spirits from Paper Mario 1 showed up in Mario Party 5.

And that's about it.

It would be interesting to see some of the Paper Mario characters show up as playable racers in Mario Kart, but I'm not entirely sure the shift to a more realistic art style would being doing them favors.

Quillion

Smash Hero

And that's about it.

It would be interesting to see some of the Paper Mario characters show up as playable racers in Mario Kart, but I'm not entirely sure the shift to a more realistic art style would being doing them favors.
At least one person has tried:

Shog

Smash Ace
Why only Paper Mario?
What about the superior M&L series? Cackletta, Fawful would also be great options

Shog

Smash Ace
The original didn't age well and is honestly a lacking game. I tried it once recently and ... well... it was a disappointing experience.

Edit: Just want to share this opinion because I am not surprised (tbh) that there aren't SMRPG representation nowadays.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
The original didn't age well and is honestly a lacking game. I tried it once recently and ... well... it was a disappointing experience.
I haven't played Mario RPG, but I'm not surprised that it's more nostalgia than quality at this point.

Why only Paper Mario?
What about the superior M&L series? Cackletta, Fawful would also be great options
I've only played the Paper Mario series =/

Quillion

Smash Hero

Edit: Just want to share this opinion because I am not surprised (tbh) that there aren't SMRPG representation nowadays.
I haven't played Mario RPG, but I'm not surprised that it's more nostalgia than quality at this point.
It is NOT just nostalgia.

The game has an awesome art style that had various unique enemy and character designs and it looked better than most N64 and even PS1 games released around the time (since it was released at the end of the SNES'S life).

Battles are epic. They involve flashy animations along with Timed Hits in order to make them more involving and fun.

The characters are memorable. The heroes have the cute cloud Black Mage Mallow and the badass doll Geno, while Bowser gains his famous goofy overlord characterization while Peach is much more active and even jokey about her usual situation. The Smithy Gang are all memorable too.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I blame Square Enix for not letting Geno in anymore Mario games since they own the character. It'll be nice if someone like Goombella, Dimentio, or Ms. Mowz be in Mario Kart or another game. They're more deserving than a bunch of freaky looking babies and metal versions of Mario & Peach.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
As somebody who's beaten all the RPGs, I'm going to say no. The RPG characters are RPG characters and should stay in their separate Mario universes. MK8's roster problems are completely separate from not including RPG characters.

Quillion

Smash Hero
As somebody who's beaten all the RPGs, I'm going to say no. The RPG characters are RPG characters and should stay in their separate Mario universes. MK8's roster problems are completely separate from not including RPG characters.
Considering the RPG characters are treated with the same level of respect as the Wario sub franchise, I'd think it's really unfair. At least I can very slightly understand the Wario cast not fitting in with the greater Mario franchise, but the RPG characters already appear in a game that has Mario's name on it, so it doesn't work.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Considering the RPG characters are treated with the same level of respect as the Wario sub franchise, I'd think it's really unfair. At least I can very slightly understand the Wario cast not fitting in with the greater Mario franchise, but the RPG characters already appear in a game that has Mario's name on it, so it doesn't work.
Not even Mario is the same... Paper Mario is kind of a jerk and M&L Mario is really goofy.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
While there are some characters that would probably never make it in like pretty much any OC from Super Mario RPG (Geno was in one of the Mario and Luigi games in a minigame which probably took tons of convincing from SquareEnix) there are plenty of other characters it wouldn't be hard to make, like Bow or Sushie or the Goomba partners. Those could have regular enemies used as a base model with alterations to make them look like the chacrater and belong to Nintendo, so I don't see why that would be such a big deal

Twewy

Smash Lord
The original Super Mario RPG goes to the bathroom on both series.
Its original characters are also copyrighted by Square-Enix, and your thread is about why the RPG characters aren't in spin-offs. I guess the best answer is the RPG series are more self-contained, and with at least Paper Mario you have to worry about the clash in separate art-styles.

And that's about it.
Funnily enough, Gomboss from Paper Mario 1 also came back, in 64 DS and Kart DS. Other than Koopatrols in that pinball game that's actually just about it, yeah...

It is NOT just nostalgia.

The game has an awesome art style that had various unique enemy and character designs and it looked better than most N64 and even PS1 games released around the time (since it was released at the end of the SNES'S life).

Battles are epic. They involve flashy animations along with Timed Hits in order to make them more involving and fun.

The characters are memorable. The heroes have the cute cloud Black Mage Mallow and the badass doll Geno, while Bowser gains his famous goofy overlord characterization while Peach is much more active and even jokey about her usual situation. The Smithy Gang are all memorable too.
It's a good game, but you're exaggerating a bit in places. The battle bit of your argument can be applied to both Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi, because both series do that exact same thing. I enjoyed the original designs by Square's team, but I feel most don't really mesh well with the Mario series.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Not really. Characters from RPG Mario games should stay in RPG Mario games.
I could argue that the Donkey Kong Country characters should stay in Donkey Kong Country. I could argue that the Baby characters should stay in Yoshi.

But those two things didn't happen (albeit, they've started to miss the whole point of the Baby characters in recent times).

(albeit, they've started to miss the whole point of the Baby characters in recent times).
Agreed, bringing back all four babies and creating a new one for Mario Kart 8 while leaving out characters like Diddy and Bowser Jr. was a stupid decision. Although I still think that Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach are even worse choices.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I could argue that the Donkey Kong Country characters should stay in Donkey Kong Country. I could argue that the Baby characters should stay in Yoshi.

But those two things didn't happen (albeit, they've started to miss the whole point of the Baby characters in recent times).
That's a good point though they didn't come from Mario RPG games still.
Agreed, bringing back all four babies and creating a new one for Mario Kart 8 while leaving out characters like Diddy and Bowser Jr. was a stupid decision. Although I still think that Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach are even worse choices.
Pink Gold Peach was the worst thing that has ever happened. Hell, she's even worse than Ebola if I have to be honest. And Baby Rosalina's existence absolutely ruined who Rosalina really is as a character. Having a baby counterpart of herself was completely unnecessary.

That's a good point though they didn't come from Mario RPG games still.

Pink Gold Peach was the worst thing that has ever happened. Hell, she's even worse than Ebola if I have to be honest. And Baby Rosalina's existence absolutely ruined who Rosalina really is as a character. Having a baby counterpart of herself was completely unnecessary.
I really though there couldn't be worse new character choices than Baby Daisy, Metal Mario and Honey Queen and a worse character roster than in Mario Kart 7... then Mario Kart 8 was released (30 characters, of which 5 are babies, 2 carbon copies and 7 Koopalings... seriously?).

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I really though there couldn't be worse new character choices than Baby Daisy, Metal Mario and Honey Queen and a worse character roster than in Mario Kart 7... then Mario Kart 8 was released (30 characters, of which 5 are babies, 2 carbon copies and 7 Koopalings... seriously?).
I thought Mario Kart 7's roster was bad (the fat bee, of course), Mario Kart 8's roster definitely took the crown for having the worst roster in the series. I'm not very fond of the baby characters and the Koopalings either. The metal characters are no exception. And if you count the DLCs, we even have Mario and Peach in Halloween costumes...

I thought Mario Kart 7's roster was bad (the fat bee, of course), Mario Kart 8's roster definitely took the crown for having the worst roster in the series. I'm not very fond of the baby characters and the Koopalings either. The metal characters are no exception. And if you count the DLCs, we even have Mario and Peach in Halloween costumes...
Nintendo really knows what Mario Kart 8 roster needed... fourth versions of Mario and Peach. :facepalm: I liked Link and the AC characters however... I think they should scrap Mario Kart and start making Nintendo All-Stars Racing.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Nintendo really knows what Mario Kart 8 roster needed... fourth versions of Mario and Peach. :facepalm: I liked Link and the AC characters however... I think they should scrap Mario Kart and start making Nintendo All-Stars Racing.
Link and the Animal Crossing characters are the only real new characters in the game.
A Nintendo racing game in the style of Smash Bros. would be a great idea.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Hell she's even worse than Ebola if I have to be honest.
You're joking, right? You did not just compare a poor roster choice to a disease that actually impacts human lives and were completely serious, right?

I agree though that there were too many babies, and that the Metal characters were unneeded. I can't say I'm fond of the choices for DLC, but I like the addition of the Koopalings. I'd play 'em, mostly Roy, if I had a Wii U.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
You're joking, right? You did not just compare a poor roster choice to a disease that actually impacts human lives and were completely serious, right?

I agree though that there were too many babies, and that the Metal characters were unneeded. I can't say I'm fond of the choices for DLC, but I like the addition of the Koopalings. I'd play 'em, mostly Roy, if I had a Wii U.
I'm surprised you took it seriously.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
You'd be very surprised what is and isn't sarcasm on the Internet. I'm just glad you weren't serious.
Still doesn't change my opinion on Pink Gold Peach being the worst thing that's ever happened though.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
It's honesty disappointing that Fawful hasn't been playable yet. Heck, Fawful should start appearing in the main games too, but that won't ever happen.
... Although the Paper Mario cast should stay in their own games. That honestly would look strange, seeing a 2-D Mario driving around.

Quillion

Smash Hero
You'd be very surprised what is and isn't sarcasm on the Internet. I'm just glad you weren't serious.

You know what I want, though? If they're going to introduce alternate versions of Mario and Peach, they should acknowledge the other spinoffs like Mario Strikers and Dr. Mario.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Or we could, you know, not have anymore Marios or Peaches. You'd think they would add Captain Falcon after all this F-Zero stuff.

EDIT: You're not calling me butthurt, are you?

Last edited:

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
Nintendo AllStars Racing is the greatest idea I have heard all week. Why are we still talking about anything else?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Nintendo AllStars Racing is the greatest idea I have heard all week. Why are we still talking about anything else?
Mario RPG characters aren't exactly "all stars", you know? They're far more important to their home franchise than to Nintendo in general.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Mario RPG characters aren't exactly "all stars", you know? They're far more important to their home franchise than to Nintendo in general.
There were posts in here humoring the idea, yo.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
If it's anything like the SEGA Superstar franchise, it'll have a crapload of Mario characters and only one character for every other franchise.

And as for Nintendo not using better characters for Mario Kart: There really is no excuse to not have Wario characters. Ashley, Mona, Kat, and Anna all have 3D models.

And say what you will about Honey Queen. At least she is her own character (unlike the babies and metals) and a Mario character (unlike Link and the AC cast)

And where's Plessie, ****it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom