• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are you happy with Squad Strike? (Spoilers via IMAGES only)

AIM0001

Smash Lord
DISCLAIMER TO MODS AND SMASH COMMUNITY: I just want to start by saying I’m not trying to add to the datamine craze that’s currently happening now. I wanna share this thread because I thought Nintendo could have done a better job at explaining Squad Strike. I can see if they showed us the name and then said you’ll just have to wait until 12/7 or something like that but they didn’t.

SQUAD STRIKE THREAD: Anyways, so based on these images I have found online. It appears you can customize these modes in 3 variants. I watched a video where these images are from so I can confirm this is how these play.

1. Tag Team: EDIT: Thanks to Ciro Blanco and video footage out there, it’s confimred it plays like Smash Tour with a character for each stock. It’s played as one continuous match until you or your opponent runs out of characters. I added a new image below with the Pirate Ship stage that shows different character icons for each stock just like how it was in Smash Tour.

2. Elimination: For those who have played Kings Of Fighters will know that this feels just like that. The first set of images show you how it’ll match up two fighters and after one defeats the other. Then the victor moves onto the next fighter in the opponents squad. You can also toggle if the victor recovers any % damage or just goes in with the same damage that fighter had taken in the previous round. (The first image with the fighters is for this variant.)

3. Best Of Series (insert number of matches): It’s pretty much how it sounds. Strictly one on one matches with no characters carrying over into the next round. Basically it’s best 2 out of 3 or best 3 out of 5.

My conclusion is I’m very happy with these options and toggles for damage, rules, stage morphs etc. It looks like Sqaud Strike will be a lot of fun and maybe even be allowed in the competitive scene??? Tag Team will be the setting I do every time! I’ll dabble with the other two but the Smash Tour style appeals to me the most. Hopefully in the future or DLC they consider the “tag team variety only” for 4 player smash. All in all this mode has succeeded my expectations. Squad Strike is a great addition and I can’t wait to unlock all the characters and play dozens of these mataches! Anyways, what do you all think?

6109A05F-B174-4E8F-82C0-717D01379FFE.jpeg
01B9A141-A3A8-4D7A-A6F3-E55A359E9120.jpeg

099CBEEB-4DCB-4AB8-B90E-CB34169D7275.jpeg

Last edited:

Ciro Blanco

Smash Cadet
I see a footage of Tag Team Squad Strike! Is like All star versus in Project M, or the last match in smash tour :D

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I see a footage of Tag Team Squad Strike! Is like All star versus in Project M, or the last match in smash tour :D
Really it is?! Awww thank you for confirming this! You the real MVP my dude! I’m so excited!

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I'm glad they have options for Tag Team, Elimination and Best Of.

I figured it would just be limited to one of the three.

Ciro Blanco

Smash Cadet
I don´t´understand why Nintendo doesn´t show the mode in a trailer or direct... Maybe in a new trailer before the release.
Tag Team Squad Strike was very requested by the fans.

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
I can understand what is elimination..
But what is "best of" and "Tag team"'?
Can all three modes support local 2 player?

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I can understand what is elimination..
But what is "best of" and "Tag team"'?
Can all three modes support local 2 player?
I added better descriptions in the edit.

Also yes it can be played with just 2 players.

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
It looks fine and dandy, and call me old fashioned, but all I will end up caring about is 4 or 8 man free for all, all items, all stages, all characters, highest item appearance (PURE CHAOSSSSS). Other game modes just don't excite me or have too many rules attached to them, BUT good for those who appreciate the modes ^_^

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
The only disappointment is that Tag Team isn't playable online.

Other than that, this mode is even more than everything I wanted (Elimination looks like it will be a lot of fun alongside Tag Team).

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
The only disappointment is that Tag Team isn't playable online.

Other than that, this mode is even more than everything I wanted (Elimination looks like it will be a lot of fun alongside Tag Team).
Maybe one day they will release that mode for online....

Eru13

Smash Apprentice
Something I saw on a stream in case anyone cares, Final Smash meters go down to zero when losing a stock in tag team instead of just falling a certain amount like in normal matches

PF9

Smash Lord
I might do some themed Squad Strikes like Heroes VS. Villains, Cute VS. Intimidating, and some franchise-based ones too.

As well as an Old School VS. New School. Old School would be represented by characters who debuted in the 1980s, while New School would be characters from the last 10 years (Bayonetta, Inkling, Dark Pit, Shulk, Greninja, Corrin, Isabelle, Incineroar, and the three FE: Awakening characters)

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Holy **** this looks like so much fun. This and Smashdown are perfect for me, since they're gamemodes that pay off for being good with lots of fighters.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
honesty i am pretty relieved fighter stock battles are a thing with this, i was worried that they would not be

Parallelo

Golden Boy
Switch FC
SW-1049 6345 7512
It's going to be the main mode I play. Squad Strike, Tournament and Smashdown are all I really need.

Khao

Smash Lord
Looks amazing! I've been wanting to see multi-character fights since as far as Melee! One thing I don't quite understand though. Is the mode 2-player only? Or does it actually support more players?

Either way, I can see myself play this mode almost exclusively. This is exactly what I wanted.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Decided to look at some leaked footage of this mode. And am I glad I did! It is pretty much what I was hoping it would be, but Nintendo did a terrible job trying to convey what it actually is. They could have easily shown a short clip of a character getting KO'd and replaced with the next in line.

That said, it's everything I was hoping for! This looks great! I hope I get to play this a lot with friends!

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Probabaly not, but I don’t know that for sure. Would make for some cool memes to have your whole squad posing together like in Overwatch after you win. Haha

EDIT: Here you go CardiganBoy CardiganBoy
Ah well they missed the opportunity, it would have been so satisfying, but it's not a deal breaker in possibly the most fun VS mode.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Yeah super stoked for this mode. Been excited for it since the moment it was announced in the August direct. The only disappointing thing is the lack of a 5 player squad victory screen. But I can easily play a 8 player match have 5 people on 1 team and then screen shot it and pretend it's the victory screen for my future squad strike. Which is always gonna be :ultbowser::ultkrool::ultridley::ultwolf::ultganondorf:.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Yeah super stoked for this mode. Been excited for it since the moment it was announced in the August direct. The only disappointing thing is the lack of a 5 player squad victory screen. But I can easily play a 8 player match have 5 people on 1 team and then screen shot it and pretend it's the victory screen for my future squad strike. Which is always gonna be :ultbowser::ultkrool::ultridley::ultwolf::ultganondorf:.

That’s one spicy squad you got there.

PF9

Smash Lord
Squad Strike themes:

Mammals VS. Reptiles:

Mammals: Any five of Pikachu, Pichu, Lucario, Incineroar, Sonic, Duck Hunt, Isabelle, Wolf, Fox, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong (non-human mammals only, since humans are too obvious)

Reptiles: Any five of Bowser, Bowser Jr., Yoshi, Ridley, King K. Rool, Pokemon Trainer (all Trainer's Pokemon are reptilian)

Heroes VS. Villains:

Heroes: Any five of Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox, Luigi, Ness, Marth, Lucina, Young Link, Roy, Chrom, Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Snake, Ike, Diddy Kong, Lucas, Sonic, Olimar, Toon Link, Mega Man, Robin, Shulk, Cloud, Bayonetta, Inkling, Simon, Richter

Villains: Any five of Bowser, Ganondorf, Ridley, King Dedede (as seen in the Kirby anime), Dark Samus, Wolf, King K. Rool

Old School VS. New School:

Old School: Any five of Bowser, Daisy, Donkey Kong, Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers, Link, Little Mac, Luigi, Mario, Mega Man, Mr. Game & Watch, Pac-Man, Palutena, Peach, Pit, Piranha Plant, R.O.B., Ryu, Samus, Snake, Zelda (all debuted in the 1980s)

New School: Any five of Bayonetta, Shulk, Dark Pit, Robin, Lucina, Greninja, Corrin, Isabelle, Inkling, Incineroar (all debuted in the last 10 years)

Cute VS. Intimidating

Cute: (sample team there are others that fit in this category) Pikachu, Pichu, Kirby, Isabelle, Yoshi

Intimidating: (also a sample team): Bowser, Incineroar, Bayonetta, Ridley, King K. Rool

I'll post more later

Last edited:

PF9

Smash Lord
Kids VS. Adults:

Kids: Any five of Inkling, Toon Link, Young Link, Villager, Ness, Lucas, Pichu, Diddy Kong, Bowser Jr.

Adults: Any five of Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, Samus (Power or Zero Suit), Fox, Pikachu, Luigi, Captain Falcon, Peach, Daisy, Sheik, Zelda, Dr. Mario, Marth, Lucina, Ganondorf, Roy, Chrom, Wario, Snake, Ike, Wolf, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina and Luma, Palutena, Robin, Shulk, Ryu, Ken, Cloud, Corrin, Bayonetta, Simon, Richter

Generation gap anyone?

Last edited:

PF9

Smash Lord
But Pokémon are born from eggs.
They're still mammalian Pokemon. Some people (me included) have the headcanon that mammal Pokemon can either hatch from eggs or be born live, depending on the situation.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
How about Boys vs. Girls?

Boys team: Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Luigi, Captain Falcon, Ness, Bowser, Ice Climbers, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Falco, Marth, Young Link, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Roy, Chrom, Mr. Game & Watch, Meta Knight, Pit, Dark Pit, Wario, Snake, Ike, Pokémon Trainer, Diddy Kong, Lucas, Sonic, King Dedede, Olimar, Lucario, R.O.B., Toon Link, Wolf, Villager, Mega Man, Little Mac, Greninja, Mii, Robin, Shulk, Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt, Ryu, Ken, Cloud, Corrin, Ridley, Simon, Richter, King K. Rool, Incineroar

Girls team: Samus, Dark Samus, Jigglypuff, Peach, Daisy, Sheik, Zelda, Lucina, Zero Suit Samus, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina & Luma, Palutena, Bayonetta, Inkling, Isabelle.

Wow, the boys seem to dominate the girls. Aw man, Nana has to play for the boys team because she wouldn't leave her husband! And the list above is based on default skins, which is why Corrin is a boy here. And while I know Mewtwo is genderless, Mewtwo is based on the villain of Pokémon: The First Movie who seems to have a masculine personality. Okay, you know what, Squad Strike is 5-on-5 so

Mario vs. Daisy
Sonic vs. Zero Suit Samus
Roy vs. Lucina
Snake vs. Bayonetta
Lucas vs. Zelda

There, now the characters chosen shouldn't have any gender confusion fouls.

PF9

Smash Lord
I put in any five of for my Squad Strike suggestions. Any five from your groups will do

Tag team should have the ability to have up to 8 teams of 5 compete against each other including the ability to have traditional team battles with them.

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
I think this mode sounds great! Tag Team is the main thing I wanted from it, and the other options are the icing on the cake. My only small disappointments are 1) no 4P Tag Team from what I can tell (four squads vs each other), and 2) can't bring the size of the squads higher than 5. 7 or 9 would've been cool, but it's a very minor issue. Looking forward to this for sure.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
8 x 5 = 40

Wow, if we have 6 DLC fighters to add up to 80 and if we can do eight-player smash in squad strike, then we'll be playing with half the roster in one match!

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I think this mode sounds great! Tag Team is the main thing I wanted from it, and the other options are the icing on the cake. My only small disappointments are 1) no 4P Tag Team from what I can tell (four squads vs each other), and 2) can't bring the size of the squads higher than 5. 7 or 9 would've been cool, but it's a very minor issue. Looking forward to this for sure.
Ya dude, it really does baffle me that there isn’t a 4 player option for this mode BUT that being said. I’m very excited for Tag Team! It’s gonna be so hype! Hey, we can always hope for an update for 4 players but I won’t get my hopes up too high.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
So only 2 players? Okay then, ten character battles. Wait a minute, is that only two more than eight-player smash? Well at least you get to switch characters during a match.

Top Bottom