• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are you guys gonna look up how to unlock characters?

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
First, I'll try to unlock them myself. After about a week or so and I still don't have everyone I'll start looking up how to unlock characters.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Only if I feel like it. Otherwise, I’ll just stick to unlocking whichever the old fashioned way before going to that approach.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I'll try unlocking as much I can without looking. If there's a point I just can't find a certain character I really want to play as, I'll look it up

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
I'm probably just going to keep playing without looking stuff up and see how much I unlock. If say I don't have wii fit trainer or my other favorites by a certain time frame, I maaaaayyyy have to look up how to get those said characters.

osby

Smash Obsessed
If unlocking conditions are ridiculous like they were in Melee, I need to check.

If unlocking conditions are ridiculous like they were in Melee, I need to check.
do you really think a person 5 to 10 years old thinks that it’s ridiculous?

unlocking the characters weren’t that hard. you either played vs mode or tried other modes. you can get Falco from completing 100-man melee once, you get marth by playing with all the starters at least once in vs mode. so four 4 player matches? only exception is mewtwo for 5 hours between playing with friends.

Or you can have conditions like unlocking Wolf in Brawl, which required you to complete Boss Battles (unlocked after you complete the while subspace emmisary), go back to subspace and find a secret room, or play 450 vs matches.

hell you had to play 350 games to unlock jigglypuff or complete subspace. for jigglypuff.

But melee is ridiculous? Lol

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
do you really think a person 5 to 10 years old thinks that it’s ridiculous?

unlocking the characters weren’t that hard. you either played vs mode or tried other modes. you can get Falco from completing 100-man melee once, you get marth by playing with all the starters at least once in vs mode. so four 4 player matches? only exception is mewtwo for 5 hours between playing with friends.

Or you can have conditions like unlocking Wolf in Brawl, which required you to complete Boss Battles (unlocked after you complete the while subspace emmisary), go back to subspace and find a secret room, or play 450 vs matches.

hell you had to play 350 games to unlock jigglypuff or complete subspace. for jigglypuff.

But melee is ridiculous? Lol
:ultluigi: - Requires you to do adventure mode and unlock with a specific digit in the time. I'm sure nobody would think to do that. The alternative is playing 800 versus matches.
:ultpichu: - Unlocked from an event. Sounds simple, but actually playing that event is locked behind Luigi, so one is best if they try to play the 200 versus matches which thankfully is low.
:ultmewtwo: - Requires 20 hours of versus mode game play. This is a ridiculously stupid requirement as it takes forever. I don't see how this is much different than playing the 700 versus matches to unlock, so this was a stupid idea to begin with.
:ultgnw: - Unlocked by modes he should be unlocked from. Sounds simple, but actually meeting the requirement is locked behind all characters including the ones I mentioned above making him stupidly difficult to unlock in turn. The alternative is playing 1,000 versus matches.

So 4/11 characters are incredibly difficult to unlock. This not mainstreamed.
:ulttoonlink::ultwolf::ultjigglypuff: - I'm just going to speak for all of them at once because they're all the same scenario here. Smash Brawl's best way of unlocking characters is through Subspace, but just beating Subspace doesn't get you these three fighters. You have three options with them. You can...

- Find secret rooms after beating Subspace.
- Meet a mainstream condition after beating Subspace.
- Play 400, 450, and 350 versus matches respectively.

They're all a stupid way to unlock them in their own ways for varying reasons. So 3/14 characters are incredibly difficult to unlock. Better than Smash Melee, but still not mainstreamed.
Smash Brawl has has already won. If you take versus matches off the table, you can unlock a greater percentage of that game's fighters through respectable methods with only three being very difficult. That's 21% of unlockable fighters, or 9% of the total cast.

Smash Melee has two fighters that are incredibly difficult to unlock without versus matches, but two more fighters with reasonable unlock methods are locked behind them, so the total number is actually four fighters. That's 36% of the unlockable fighters, or 12% of the total cast.

The numbers for both games are incredibly high, so I would say neither one of them is mainstreamed in the unlocking process, but Smash Brawl made improvement from Smash Melee in that regard.

Last edited:
:ultluigi: - Requires you to do adventure mode and unlock with a specific digit in the time. I'm sure nobody would think to do that. The alternative is playing 800 versus matches.
:ultpichu: - Unlocked from an event. Sounds simple, but actually playing that event is locked behind Luigi, so one is best if they try to play the 200 versus matches which thankfully is low.
:ultmewtwo: - Requires 20 hours of versus mode game play. This is a ridiculously stupid requirement as it takes forever. I don't see how this is much different than playing the 700 versus matches to unlock, so this was a stupid idea to begin with.
:ultgnw: - Unlocked by modes he should be unlocked from. Sounds simple, but actually meeting the requirement is locked behind all characters including the ones I mentioned above making him stupidly difficult to unlock in turn. The alternative is playing 1,000 versus matches.

So 4/11 characters are incredibly difficult to unlock. This not mainstreamed.
:ulttoonlink::ultwolf::ultjigglypuff: - I'm just going to speak for all of them at once because they're all the same scenario here. Smash Brawl's best way of unlocking characters is through Subspace, but just beating Subspace doesn't get you these three fighters. You have three options with them. You can...

- Find secret rooms after beating Subspace.
- Meet a mainstream condition after beating Subspace.
- Play 400, 450, and 350 versus matches respectively.

They're all a stupid way to unlock them in their own ways for varying reasons. So 3/14 characters are incredibly difficult to unlock. Better than Smash Melee, but still not mainstreamed.
Smash Brawl has has already won. If you take versus matches off the table, you can unlock a greater percentage of that game's fighters through respectable methods with only three being very difficult. That's 21% of unlockable fighters, or 9% of the total cast.

Smash Melee has two fighters that are incredibly difficult to unlock without versus matches, but two more fighters with reasonable unlock methods are locked behind them, so the total number is actually four fighters. That's 36% of the unlockable fighters, or 12% of the total cast.

The numbers for both games are incredibly high, so I would say neither one of them is mainstreamed in the unlocking process, but Smash Brawl made improvement from Smash Melee in that regard.
The digit required for Luigi I believe was 2. It was just required that the digit be in the seconds count, which isn’t hard, so you had a 1/10 chance of encountering him every 10 seconds. The statistical significance isn’t that proposterous, and not far fetched that you would just finish with the number “2” somewhere on the clock.

For mewtwo it could be twenty hours, or five hours of playing with 4 people in vs mode. If you played enough as a kid, it shouldn’t be much i guess.

G&W was a bit excessive, but like I said, unlocking these characters were natural, and we weren’t exactly in a rush or in the know to try to unlock everyone. You can’t misplace your rationale as an adult and use it for the sake of an argument when that clearly wasn’t as issue for you over 15 years ago. That’s reaching.

And yeah Brawl is steam lined I suppose, but not everyone wanted to complete subspace, which is just displacing your multiplayer time into the adventure mode.

But I do agree that the conditions aren’t great. However, I didn’t care. Many of us didn’t. I just get irritated at people blatantly calling out things about games they don’t like in the same franchise, for whatever reason. It’s all smash at the end of the day.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The digit required for Luigi I believe was 2. It was just required that the digit be in the seconds count, which isn’t hard, so you had a 1/10 chance of encountering him every 10 seconds. The statistical significance isn’t that proposterous, and not far fetched that you would just finish with the number “2” somewhere on the clock.

For mewtwo it could be twenty hours, or five hours of playing with 4 people in vs mode. If you played enough as a kid, it shouldn’t be much i guess.

G&W was a bit excessive, but like I said, unlocking these characters were natural, and we weren’t exactly in a rush or in the know to try to unlock everyone. You can’t misplace your rationale as an adult and use it for the sake of an argument when that clearly wasn’t as issue for you over 15 years ago. That’s reaching.

And yeah Brawl is steam lined I suppose, but not everyone wanted to complete subspace, which is just displacing your multiplayer time into the adventure mode.

But I do agree that the conditions aren’t great. However, I didn’t care. Many of us didn’t. I just get irritated at people blatantly calling out things about games they don’t like in the same franchise, for whatever reason. It’s all smash at the end of the day.
Playing Subpace Emissary twice most of the time don't take longer than 8-10 hours. It's already easier than just Mewtwo.

I'm not insulting Melee, but it's method of unlocking characters was the least optimal in the whole franchise.

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
I guess this just goes back to an old post I made about what I'd like for the process and available options pertaining to unlocking things to be. In general, you could grind for coins to unlock whatever you want, or you could take on specific challenges associated with each locked item. I can play with how this is presented for miles. Here I go again!

Imagine the character selection menu. There's the initial group of unlocked characters (the Smash 64 OGs) and then there's a unique option that players have with the Random Select function. You can press _ to actually random select your character to play as, OR you can press _ to randomly "roll the die" to display an objective or coins required to unlock a mysterious character. Let's have some more fun with this. Let's say there's a bonus element. You can ACTIVATE the objective, essentially raising the stakes and its difficulty in exchange for displaying precisely WHAT gets unlocked if you succeed and an opportunity to earn bonus coins to expedite future unlocks.

>hover hand over [?] and tap _ for regular display or tap _ to activate a challenge

>activate challenge
>"Complete Classic Mode Very Hard To Unlock Wii Fit Trainer + 100 Coins" (success)
>Lose 100 Coins + Wii Fit Trainer Objective Changed or Cost Increased (failure)

or
>display normal challenge details
>"Complete Classic Mode on Normal To Unlock [?] + 10 Coins (success)
>lose nothing and no objective shifting/changing (failure)
or
>Unlock [?] with 150 Coins (spend coins you've earned in a number of ways (including online matches) to unlock whatever you want (characters, music, battle scrolls, trophies, costume colors, stages, taunts, etc.)

See? Why would I need to "look up" anything if these were optional paths to unlocking items? The information is right there in game.

Last edited:

JT_KiNGLY

Smash Rookie
I believe unlocking the roster will be half the fun! Being restricted to the N64 roster was an ingenious play by Sakurai as it will actively encourage players to pick up new characters in order to obtain the one's they most want to play. This will result in people discovering that they might LOVE a character that they were preemptively disinterested in playing. This directly influences a greater variety in the general player's play style as well as indirectly effects the competitive scene as more serious players may discover talents in champions that they dismissed out the gate. I strongly believe that Sakurai is trying to help promote a more enriching experience by making nearly every fighter as viable as they can be, and I'm excited to think that we may see the most colorful, character rich competitive tournament environment in Smash history here in the very near future.

So, as for the actual question, I will but only if I'm too much of a weenie to figure it out for myself.

Last edited:

Imfrikinbad

Smash Cadet
I won't look at first, but if I'm like 100 hours in and I still haven't unlocked everyone, then yeah lol.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I just want to unlock the characters I want to play as most as soon as possible, then go along as things come.

Imfrikinbad

Smash Cadet
Do we even know which characters are going to be locked when the game is released? It would be kinda cool if you only got the OG Smash 64 characters and you had to unlock from that point.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Do we even know which characters are going to be locked when the game is released? It would be kinda cool if you only got the OG Smash 64 characters and you had to unlock from that point.
someone is gonna be very happy

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
For me, this is a hard no, just because want to feel like I truly earned each and every character as I progressively unlock the entire cast (looking at you, my future co-mains :ultwolf: and :ultkrool:). Pretty self-explanatory.

Last edited:

Yawshi

Smash Cadet
I might not since my new main is in the supposed original 12 character cast

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
I wouldn’t worry too much about the unlock criteria since there are so many characters. I’d probably forget most of them pretty easily.

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
Well, I am a bit torn, as I want to play the majority of WoL with my favorite(s), and I would be pretty unhappy if I didn't stumble upon them until near the end XD I will probably just look up where Zelda is, unlock her through the most direct path possible, then just start wandering aimlessly.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Well, I am a bit torn, as I want to play the majority of WoL with my favorite(s), and I would be pretty unhappy if I didn't stumble upon them until near the end XD I will probably just look up where Zelda is, unlock her through the most direct path possible, then just start wandering aimlessly.
I wonder if WoL is the only way to do it. I'm really interested in that mode, sure, but part of me doesn't want to start there. If I can do like a few classic mode runs to get certain characters that would be dope. We'll see...

COOKRE

Smash Cadet
First, I'll try to unlock them myself. After about a week or so and I still don't have everyone I'll start looking up how to unlock characters.
This. I hope they just kind of hint at you in-game though. I'm kind of a completionist but I like to find out things myself as long as they're not impossibly hard to find.

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if WoL is the only way to do it. I'm really interested in that mode, sure, but part of me doesn't want to start there. If I can do like a few classic mode runs to get certain characters that would be dope. We'll see...
I am curious about that as well. I mean, I plan on 100%ing WoL FIRST, just to get the "feel" for the gameplay and prepare myself for multi player. Also, I think it will be a fun way to unlock everyone, but I can understand other people not being interested in doing WoL in a game that is mainly a fighting game.

This. I hope they just kind of hint at you in-game though. I'm kind of a completionist but I like to find out things myself as long as they're not impossibly hard to find.
I feel like there won't be any tricks in WoL....you walk along the paths, moving clouds as you go, and as long as you beat every event with a character tied to it in WoL, you will have the full roster when you finish.

Top Bottom