• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are you guys gonna look up how to unlock characters?

DongleDude

Smash Rookie
I know Mammamia Samurai said the process would be streamlined, but let’s be real there’s a looooot of Characters we need to unlock. If the process involves certain requirements for each characters to be unlocked, will you look up how to unlock certain characters. Or will you just get surprised when unlocking. Me personally im gonna look up my top Priorities (K Rool, ROB, PKMN Trainer) and my friend’s top Priorities (Zelda, Dedede, Marth).

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
As is the case with every game I'm going to try to unlock as many as possible before I feel the need to look up how to unlock whichever remaining characters are left.

Seeing as the starting roster is going to be just the original 8 I doubt it's going to be too difficult to unlock at least a decent amount before it gets more complicated. (As long as it doesn't take me too long to unlock :ultridley:and :ultdarksamus:) As is the case with each Smash game, there's probably going to be multiple ways to unlocks most of the fighters as well.

Khao

Smash Lord
For all we know, part of the "streamlined" process is actually telling us the exact unlock requirements in-game. All characters are gonna be announced before release anyway, there won't be any "secrets".

Still, I don't think I'd just look for the requirements online. At least not at first. I'll probably just keep playing blindly for as long as I'm still finding characters efforlessly. If I stop getting characters frequently at some point, then sure, I'll probably look for it.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
I think however you unlock characters, it will be in a system that makes it obvious how to unlock them. Maybe every 10 matches you'll unlock them, or if there is a story mode, you'll unlock them through that. I don't think it's gonna be a case like "play as Mario on final destination and unlock King K. Rool." The unlocking criteria will most likely make the process fairly obvious, and I think being mainstream means having a system.

link2702

Smash Champion
depends on if my most wanted character gets in.

if geno gets in i'ma be searching for the fastest way to unlock him.

if not I'll likely just take my time with everyone.

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
If I really struggle to unlock my mains, I'll look up how to unlock them. I won't look up anyone I'm not too crazy about.

Lexlanson

Smash Rookie
I'm gonna try my hardest to not look up anything. Hopefully the process is "streamlined" and doesn't get too frustrating. Not to say I wouldn't enjoy a bit of a challenge, as long as it's fun and not something super tedious.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Yeah, I'm definitely NOT looking up how to unlock, thank you. I want to ENJOY this sucker. No matter how much it pains me to wait for some of the ones I want to play as like Daisy and K.Rool. Though heaven forbid if someone like SHANTAE gets in like I suspect, then all bets are off in her case!

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I'm not gonna search up, I'll try to unlock a bunch as I go on. Maybe if I struggle to find out how to get some characters I will, but at least for the start, I won't bother. Some of them are probably simple to get anyway, there'll probably be suff like "complete event 1" or "complete classic mode" as unlock ways anyway considering the amount of unlockables.

D

Deleted member

Probably not. But I will test out my Zelda Amiibo and see if I can unlock her.

MrArska

Smash Cadet
NNID
aapelix
Switch FC
SW 2908 1984 5094
Absolutely not, unless I absolutely can't figure out how to unlock D3/K.Rool/Bandana Dee (I'll dream for it until there's no chance at all) or whatever.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
I’ll try to unlock as many as possible, and if i seriously can’t figure it out I’ll look it up.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Probably won't look up anything besides how to unlock :ultike:, :ultrichter:, or :ultsnake: and any fighters required to unlock them. I'm probably going to be rolling a die unless there's more motivation for one fighter over the other two. I can't decide who I want to play yet.

Last edited:

Kooj Kooj

Smash Cadet
I feel that looking them up is a disservice to the game design. Sakurai's whole purpose behind locking away most of the characters was to have players try more characters than they otherwise would. If I look up immediately how to unlock Pokémon Trainer (or much, much worse Geno if he's playable,) I'm going to spend all of my time playing that one character instead of trying others out.

And I don't want to do that. I want to try all the characters again with a fresh set of eyes and get a new feel for them. I'll probably end up liking more characters and enjoying the game overall much more this way as well-- variety is the spice of life after all.

Majalbatross

Smash Apprentice
I will probably just explore the game for a while and see what happens. Once I get stuck on how to unlock certain characters and don't want to be bothered to grind the game for it, I'll just look them up on the web.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I'm also going to test to see if that amiibo rumor is true. Unlocking Robin is of my utmost priority.

If it isn't, well... I'll try whatever methods I can. I don't intend on going online for several days, since I'm absolutely positive that the amount of Smash Ultimate content on my social media feeds (YouTube, Twitter) will be polluted by them. I might consider only going on Steam and MAYBE Discord, but I'll have to think about it some more.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Given what Sakurai's said about it being streamlined, probably not. I would if one of my mains was stuck behind some arbitrary requirement ('play x amount of hours in this mode'), but I won't otherwise. We're going to know every character before launch, but I'd still like that 'challenger approaching' surprise of not knowing exactly who I'm unlocking next.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
No if the amiibo thing is true I'm just gonna tap all my amiibo. I own 90% of the 1st party character amiibo (only missing Wii Fit, R.O.B., and Dr. Mario). The only characters I will be seeking out are K.Rool, Young Link, Pichu, and Dark Samus. Characters that don't have amiibo yet and won't be available until after launch. Depending on unlock criteria if I can go without unlocking a single 3rd party character I'm definitely gonna try and do that.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
As much as I'd like to just use all my amiibo to unlock everyone (I'm missing like 5 from Sm4sh) I'd much rather have that nostalgic challenger approaching battle.

If it takes me awhile to unlock my faves, I'll probably just use their amiibo tho.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I'll try to unlock as much as I can without looking anything up. I want to complete the game 100% anyway, as I've done with every Smash game to date, and I'm sure down the line I'll unlock all the characters. If I really miss somebody and I'm just stumped on how to unlock these characters, I might look it up, but I'll try not to.

As much as I'd like to just use all my amiibo to unlock everyone (I'm missing like 5 from Sm4sh) I'd much rather have that nostalgic challenger approaching battle.
What if tapping a locked fighter's amiibo will initiate their challenger approaching battle rather than straight-up unlocking them?

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
What if tapping a locked fighter's amiibo will initiate their challenger approaching battle rather than straight-up unlocking them?
Nah, I'll be playing with my brother a lot and its always fun to have to unlock a new fighter right after a match.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Since I’ll probably end up waiting until Christmas until I get the game myself, I’ll definitely get spoiled, by watching livestreams of others unlocking the characters and by looking up the unlock methods out of boredom / curiosity.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Probably not. There probably won't be a case like the (for me) infamous Mewtwo and Mr. Game & Watch from Melee. Just clearing the modes with everyone could potentially net most of them.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Well, it depends. If there's a new story mode but I don't like it then I'll unlock them the normal way. I'll try to do most of them without looking it up but if some of them are way too cryptic then I'll search it up.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I'll go about playing and if a challenger appears, then I'll be happy. I don't want to look high and low for all of them, though, so maybe I'll go online to find out if it's necessary. I don't think I looked up how to unlock characters in Sm4sh. I didn't have to find out in Brawl because of SSE, which while I liked SSE, I didn't like that that's all it really took to unlock characters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes, cause some will probably be ridiculous.

D

Deleted member

I will try my best to unlock K.Rool, Ridley, Dark Samus the Third Party characters and Zero Suit Samus on my own.

hazrdous

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
3406-7857-4397
Nah, more thank likely not. Considering my planned Smash Ultimate main, Marth, hopefully shouldn't be that strenuous to unlock. I hope.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Of course I am.

Even with 64 I knew before I did it how to unlock the four characters from Nintendo power.

The only one I didn’t look up was Brawl because the method was “play subspace emissary”.

aarchak

Smash Ace
Nah, either the game will tell us or it'll be easy enough to figure out that I can enjoy unlocking fighters instead of having to look it up and then grind it all out.

chaostails7

Smash Cadet
I will do whatever it takes to unlock PT as soon as possible. Gotta start learning all 3 characters as soon as possible, since it's already going to be hard to catch up.

Top Bottom