• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are these Wario changes doable?

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I'm not asking for much regarding him, as I don't play PM competitively, but I think there's two things that would help Wario's aesthetic in the game match his Warioland counterparts.

First of all, I'd like his shoulder rush attack to have the same sound effect from the Game Boy Warioland games. It's this sound:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sflbm9080z7xjt4/Wario_dash.WAV?dl=0

Second, I think his up-Smash should be "Bouncy Wario" from WL2/3/4. I think it'd be an interesting up Smash, because how high he bounces directly correlates to how much you charge it. It can be a very powerful attack.

What do you think?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Moving to the Wario boards.

Please make sure to post in the character-specific forums in the future, thanks.

supascoot

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SupaScoot
I'd love for there to be more aethetic changes to character, esp. characters like wario with a lot of source matireal that is unused, however putting in new moves would be hard to do, as it would change how the character plays. As for the suggested changes, I'd be up for the sounds, as the current ones aren't too good, but eh, I ain't pmdt

Kero the Invincible

Smash Apprentice
I could go for less "BLEAGH!" myself. Maybe if they had it so his biker outfit has the existing sound-effects, and the classic outfit (or maybe just the black and white one) had the Warioland sound-effects?

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
Ok, I'll throw my hat into the ring. Since his walking animation and many of the dumb looking moves like his old BAir, DSmash, and Dair were changed to fit the character better, here's some other things I think they should do to keep it consistent:

Moves that should be changed because they're stupid/unfitting:
-USmash (his head getting huge looks ****ing stupid, turn it into an uppercut)
-Nair
-UThrow (the upwards power throw from Wario Land 4 would be much better)

Moves that should have their animation overhauled:
-FTilt (just smoothen the animation)
-Jab (same as FTilt)
-Utilt (same as above but closed fists also)
-Dtilt (should be close fist instead of poking. more brute strength)
-Pummel (needs to be a hard punch or the shake animation from WL:SD, either one is better than a stupid little poke)
-Dash Attack (could be changed to resemble the sliding pose when you crouch after being launched in WL:SD)
-FSmash (The arm flapping during the end lag looks stupid)

Moves that are unfitting but should be kept because they're integral to his playstyle:
-B (Giant head/chewing people looks dumb and he's never done anything like this before, if this could be seamlessly changed to a regular command grab it should)
-UpB (A special move that's not based on anything)
-DownB (Wario farting is ****ing dumb. I don't care what you think, Sakurai made this up out of nothing and the fact that it's caught on as something people think is important to Wario's character is a crying shame. Unfortunately it's a really useful move in PM and removing it would change the character too much.)

Other animations:
-Air dodge (Spinning in place looks silly, make it more like Mario's)
-Sleeping (Should be a closer pose to Mario's, like in SM64DS, looks silly that he just kind of rotates onto his back)
-Double jump (should curl up into a ball and flip, like when you double jump backwards in Smash 4)
-Turning around while running (Still has the Brawl style running animation and it looks terrible)

New voices:
-"Have a rotten day" on Bthrow (from Wario World)
-"Oh boy" when getting hit hard (from Wario Land 4)
-"Boomshakalaka" or "Oh baby" when Dair is landed (both from Mario Kart 8)
-"I lost! To a bunch of losers" when getting Star KO'd (from Mario Kart 7)
-"Yeah! Take that, losers!" on the motorbike victory screen (from Mario Kart 7)
-"Wario: The Legend" on flexing victory screen (from Mario Kart 8)

New Taunts:
-Lifting dumbells (based on Wario Land 4 idle pose)
-Skipping (base on Wario Land 4 idle pose)
-Throwing out a big thumbs up with "Excellent!' (from Wario World) on it (based on the victory screen from Wario Land 2)

Amiiboshiibo

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I'll throw my hat into the ring. Since his walking animation and many of the dumb looking moves like his old BAir, DSmash, and Dair were changed to fit the character better, here's some other things I think they should do to keep it consistent:

Moves that should be changed because they're stupid/unfitting:
-USmash (his head getting huge looks ****ing stupid, turn it into an uppercut)
-Nair
-UThrow (the upwards power throw from Wario Land 4 would be much better)

Moves that should have their animation overhauled:
-FTilt (just smoothen the animation)
-Jab (same as FTilt)
-Utilt (same as above but closed fists also)
-Dtilt (should be close fist instead of poking. more brute strength)
-Pummel (needs to be a hard punch or the shake animation from WL:SD, either one is better than a stupid little poke)
-Dash Attack (could be changed to resemble the sliding pose when you crouch after being launched in WL:SD)
-FSmash (The arm flapping during the end lag looks stupid)

Moves that are unfitting but should be kept because they're integral to his playstyle:
-B (Giant head/chewing people looks dumb and he's never done anything like this before, if this could be seamlessly changed to a regular command grab it should)
-DownB (Wario farting is ****ing dumb. I don't care what you think, Sakurai made this up out of nothing and the fact that it's caught on as something people think is important to Wario's character is a crying shame. Unfortunately it's a really useful move in PM and removing it would change the character too much.)

Other animations:
-Air dodge (Spinning in place looks silly, make it more like Mario's)
-Sleeping (Should be a closer pose to Mario's, like in SM64DS, looks silly that he just kind of rotates onto his back)
-Double jump (should curl up into a ball and flip, like when you double jump backwards in Smash 4)
-Turning around while running (Still has the Brawl style running animation and it looks terrible)

New voices:
-"Have a rotten day" on Bthrow (from Wario World)
-"Oh boy" when getting hit hard (from Wario Land 4)
-"Boomshakalaka" or "Oh baby" when Dair is landed (both from Mario Kart 8)
-"I lost! To a bunch of losers" when getting Star KO'd (from Mario Kart 7)
-"Yeah! Take that, losers!" on the motorbike victory screen (from Mario Kart 7)
-"Wario: The Legend" on flexing victory screen (from Mario Kart 8)

New Taunts:
-Lifting dumbells (based on Wario Land 4 idle pose)
-Skipping (base on Wario Land 4 idle pose)
-Throwing out a big thumbs up with "Excellent!' (from Wario World) on it (based on the victory screen from Wario Land 2)
I don't completely agree with everything you said.

U-smash: I agree, but his head does get bigger in Wario World, so it fits.
Nair: Nothing's wrong with it, other than its choppy animations.
U-throw: That would just be an upward version of his F-throw, which sounds boring. Instead, it should be a sped up version of his Piledriver from Wario World.

F-smash: That's the point. It's a funny little thing he does to regain balance. It fits his humorous nature.

Neutral-B: Being a regular command grab would make it unable to destroy projectiles without it not making sense. If they made it resemble the Hyper Suction more, it would fit.
Up-B: Completely agree. They should just make his feet become springy and replace the "EEYUH" sound with the bounce sound from WL4.

-Double Jump: Why would that make him curl up in a ball and spin? Shouldn't that be when he jumps with a Shoulder Bash?

Amiiboshiibo

Smash Journeyman
I like Wario having some quirky animations, but the stiff and choppy animations look horrible. Just look at his nair, he keeps one position throughout almost the entire animation, and I hate it. I wish the PMDT would just redo all of his animations and make them not look like Sakurai ran out of money while making him.

Elecrogelion

Smash Rookie
I disagree about Wario's up-special. I think it could definitely be changed to resemble the corkscrew conk from Wario World, which would make more sense than the current move since it has source material. Of course, the animation would have to be modified to keep the same properties as the current up-special; perhaps if they made Wario quickly uncurl at the end of the move the stronger ending hitboxes could remain. That and it would (obviously) be a more vertical leap than the one in Wario World (which is more or less a diagonal arc).

There are some fantastic ideas presented in this thread; here's hoping at least some of them can make it in-game.

Quisciens

Smash Cadet
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nfb9vrobei93pih/wariomoves.txt?dl=0
Here's completely redoing all of Wario's moveset to actually utilize his moveset potential. It doesn't change his specials too much to the point of the character playing completely differently.
These changes will never happen, and I know that. This is just how I think Smash could use his moveset potential a little better.
I hope this isn't a large bump.

Last edited:
Top Bottom