• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are there such thing as fast characters anymore?

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
To me it would seem the characters that are suppose to have a fast moveset (In my case Young Link) are not faster at all, but instead are "equally" as fast now. Im not talking about run speed, but how much lag or end lag they have after their attacks to roll, dodge, do another attack etc. Like Krol for example feels quick to me in terms of being able to follow up on his moves swiftly, maybe even faster than young link in some cases. It could be just my experience from playing online so far but Im starting to feel like there are no TRUE fast characters (again not run speed, but attack speed) , except for maybe all the sword characters interms of attack speed overall. Curious on anyone's thoughts

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Wait, what? I thought the deal with the sword-using characters was slightly slower frame data in exchange for having generally superior attack range and having disjointed hitboxes to give them an advantage in hit trades (except for the Belmonts, who take the frame-data-for-range trade-off even further than the swordies do). They can afford to attack a little earlier when approaching or being approached, allowing them to more easily beat out opposing attacks, but in exchange, they have to attack a little earlier or else their attack will be too slow

And, yes, Bowser, Ganon, and K. Rool have slow frame data, but Bowser and K. Rool lack the disjoints that the swordies have, instead having extreme power. This is a big reason why they're so easily comboed (the other reasons being their large hurtboxes and their resilience against knockback). Bowser and K. Rool compensate for this with super armor, albeit in different fashions, while Ganon seems to be trying to compensate by being a swordie, using disjoints and range ("they can’t hit me before I hit them if I can reach them before they can reach me")... but he only uses the sword for his Smash attacks, so he just ends up being the slowest swordie. Ridley, Donkey Kong, and Incineroar seem to generally have better frame data than other heavyweights.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

feels to me like the end lag is pretty even all around though
It, uh, isn't though. IDK what to tell you, but if you hop onto Ganon for a bit and then switch to Inkling after a bit you can pretty easily tell the difference

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
perhaps i get that feeling from playing online, and from how lagless aerials are. across the board

Last edited:

TeamChevy86

Smash Rookie
Like Krol for example feels quick to me in terms of being able to follow up on his moves swiftly, maybe even faster than young link in some cases
Some people have mastered that buffer window for attacking and moving. Being able to immediately follow up with the right command in that buffer window makes every character feel insanely fast

https://www.gamecrate.com/super-smash-bros-ultimate-tips-advanced-controls/21677

About halfway through explains what I'm talking about

Top Bottom