• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are Shiek mains repressed?

Gいたん

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GlitchG
3DS FC
3797-5929-4063
I don't think there's a reason for you to feel that way.
If you like Sheik, play her.
Sheik has amazing tech chase options, yes, combo mobility, interesting projectile and gimp game, reverse needle tech, mix ups, etc
and is just cool as **** in general and that's personally why I play her.
You should ask yourself why you are currently playing her, if you would enjoy playing her at a higher level, and if the style of play you've developed with her is right for you.

If you don't enjoy sheik, however, that is when I think you should consider maining someone else. What playstyle do you like the most?

The Lemon

Smash Cadet
I personally think that that's a pretty bad reason to switch (that is, because you want someone with harder combos).
I mean, it's fine if you're just playing for fun, but if you're playing to improve/win I would hope your reason(s) would be something more along the lines of like...
-Combos, though easy to execute, end early and other characters have higher combo POTENTIAL (Sheik probably has one of the best, if not the best, reliable combo game)

Also, Sheik is relatively slow compared to other top tiers. Decent ground speed, but bad aerial mobility.

Victor Marczyk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Duskblack
3DS FC
1950-8264-0245
I don't think there's a reason for you to feel that way.
If you like Sheik, play her.
Sheik has amazing tech chase options, yes, combo mobility, interesting projectile and gimp game, reverse needle tech, mix ups, etc
and is just cool as **** in general and that's personally why I play her.
You should ask yourself why you are currently playing her, if you would enjoy playing her at a higher level, and if the style of play you've developed with her is right for you.

If you don't enjoy sheik, however, that is when I think you should consider maining someone else. What playstyle do you like the most?
I definitely like a character with one or two simple projectiles just as the needles. Im more immersed with speed and combo flow, especially aerial combos. I asked alot of people at Apex about this and I'm gonna stick with her and better myself with her as well

chis5050

Smash Rookie
If sheik seems too easy, your opponents probably just aren't good enough. She's easy to pick up, but not at all easy to play at a high level with, when the majority competition is spacies

Gいたん

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GlitchG
3DS FC
3797-5929-4063
If sheik seems too easy, your opponents probably just aren't good enough. She's easy to pick up, but not at all easy to play at a high level with, when the majority competition is spacies
Not even only Spacies, just high levels of play in general.
Sheik is easy to pick up because she has really easy combos but it's much harder to get into that if someone is straight outplaying you
One of my scenes best players is a falcon main and he straight up bodies me sometimes and that's a matchup well in my favor apparently
I mean
The argument could be made that I am a scrub but Ya know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

beanwolf

Smash Apprentice
People that call Sheik easy or busted are either...

1. Low tier mains
2. Marth players
3. Scrubs or basement spacies

In all seriousness, when more than half your competition is spacies I wouldn't say playing Sheik is easy street, those matchups force you to kill off as little grabs as possible and Sheik has poor neutral in comparison to both spacies. Puff is also pretty hard and god forbid you ever have to play an ICs.

Last edited:

Preacher

Smash Cadet
Common misconception about Sheik is that she's easy to pick up. And she is - in the same vein that someone can pick up Marth by win by only forward smashing. Don't let the lack of tech requirements fool you, sheik players still put in work. It's your opponent's responsibility to not get beaten, besides it's not like she's can't be beat herself.

The Lemon

Smash Cadet
tl;dr of this thread:
Sheik's combos are easy, but being good with her is hard.

Claing

Smash Rookie
I feel like a more appropriate tl;dr would be:
Sheik has some easy combos that aren't hard to learn but getting good and performing more complex combos is hard and Sheik doesn't deserve the flak she gets.

B.Wong

Smash Cadet
Being an amazing character shouldn't make you stop playing sheik. However if you do, once you go Roy you never go back :)

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I still think Sheik is like 40:60 against Puff. No lead seems like a lead as it can and often does disappear in seconds.

OT: I do think Sheik mains are repressed. The community has a lot of hate directed at Sheik and Sheik mains. Most of the community isn't good enough to DI dash attacks or crouch cancel tilts, and blame the character instead.

Last edited:

Claing

Smash Rookie
I still think Sheik is like 40:60 against Puff. No lead seems like a lead as it can and often does disappear in seconds.

OT: I do think Sheik mains are repressed. The community has a lot of hate directed at Sheik and Sheik mains. Most of the community isn't good enough to DI dash attacks or crouch cancel tilts, and blame the character instead.
I thought it was generally agreed that puff had the advantage in that match up. I dont think you are alone in that thought

Umbra of Shadows

Smash Rookie
I have been playing as Sheik for most of my life now, and I see no reason to switch. I initially played as her, and still do today, because I liked the way the character worked (fast combos, high mobility). People should play as whatever character they want, not feel pressured to change characters in order to make others happy. After all, aMSa just came in 5th place at the largest SSBM tournament ever using Yoshi, a character that he wants to play as (I know it's the opposite end of the spectrum, but my point is this: play as whatever character you want, ignore critics, and figure out the rest as you go).

TL;DR Whatever character you enjoy playing as and feels natural to play as is the character that is meant for you.

To respond to the question asked in the name of this thread: Sheik mains are only repressed if we allow ourselves to be.

Last edited:

HolyHam

Smash Rookie
The whole reason I main Sheik is due to the combo game. It's great for lower-mid level tournaments. Playing at a top level is where things get difficult, it can be annoying trying to deal with competent spacies.

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
I don't have a problem playing shiek in tourneys, but it's sometimes hard to train as her b/c nobody (except super top players) ever likes the matchup. There's definitely a pressure there - it's like if you go Ylink in friendlies and camp or something, it just feels inconsiderate. But then again, sometimes I'm able to get the mindset that it's good training for them.

Last edited:

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
It's easy to coast with Sheik at mid-low levels because her basics are strong. Most of the community is mid-low level. Thus most of the community does not like Sheik.

Her neutral game is hilariously underdeveloped and misunderstood, so getting to higher levels with her tends to be tough. But most of the community will never have to worry about this, so they continue to whine about her.

Doser

Smash Ace
KirbyKaze, speaking of Sheik's neutral game - have you spoken with Shroomed/M2K/Ice about working on improving her neutral game?

It seems like that is the next big jump for Sheik play at the top level.

Jmook11

Smash Apprentice
I mained Sheik because her moveset is how i would picture MYSELF in a fight. That may sound silly lol but i think it helps you with what you're comfortable with, and what you're not. If you like breaking down your opponent and punishing with grabs, aerials, and needles, then Sheik is right for you

Top Bottom