• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are Politics putting America into jeopardy?

MyNameisHobby

Smash Cadet
NNID
HobbyPlaysGames
A short answer: Yes. Yes they are.

To clarify, I'm not saying that we should not have governments. Governments, whether if they are democratic or even communist, are essential for the very existence and stabilization of our world. However, today, they also prove to be a massive conflict of peace and harmony between nations. Both between foreigners and citizens of their own country.

American politics are usually divided into two different views: the left(Conservatives, Republicans, etc.)and the right(Liberals, Democrats, etc.). Seems simple enough. But if you dig deep, both sides have had very tense relations recently.

First, let's take a look at the media. The news doesn't even report news anymore. All it is is blatant propaganda. Most notably CNN and Fox News. CNN is more of a right leaning news network while Fox News is more of the left. Both of these networks are EXTREMELY BIASED in my eyes and serve the purpose of propagating people into trying to get someone out of office or keeping someone in office.

Not only that, but Leftists and Rightists buy into everything and anything the media says. Anything CNN tells the right, they believe. Anything Fox News tells the left, they believe. They don't do any further research and refer to any opposite leaning news networks as "fake news"(Seriously, 'fake news'? That's the best we can come up with?).

Not only that, but politics are FUELED with social justice warriors. Anytime you say something negative about their political belief, even with respect for their political views, they will attack you by any means necessary. Verbally and even physically. Just today I saw Conservative SJW's on social media telling a person to leave America just for supporting Macron in the French election. And it's all in the name of blatant propaganda.

My views? Put aside propaganda before people take it too far. Actually tell the damn truth.

bboss

Smash Journeyman
Anything CNN tells the right, they believe. Anything Fox News tells the left, they believe
Actually, that's backwards. The right trusts Fox News; the left trusts CNN.

CNN is more of a right leaning news network while Fox News is more of the left
This is again backwards, the Democrats are referred to as the "left" and the Republicans as the "right". Fox News is a "right" network. CNN can be considered a "left" network.

now that that's out of the way.

Just today I saw Conservative SJW's on social media telling a person to leave America just for supporting Macron in the French election
this sounds horrible. Of course, there is free speech in America, so they can tell whoever they want to leave to country, but it doesn't change the fact that it was wrong. By the way, what did they say on social media? Was it "leave because you voted for Marcon", or "why don't you just go to France if you voted for Marcon?" There is a very big difference here which will change the interpretation of the encounter.

Both of these networks are EXTREMELY BIASED in my eyes
Everything made by humans is biased. Period. Some things are more biased than others. In my opinion, ALL NEWS NETWORKS should keep their noses out of politics and do what they were made to do, report the daily news.

Last edited:

MyNameisHobby

Smash Cadet
NNID
HobbyPlaysGames
Everything made by humans is biased. Period. Some things are more biased than others. In my opinion, ALL NEWS NETWORKS should keep their noses out of politics and do what they were made to do, report the daily news.
That's exactly what I'm saying. Trying to fuel propaganda will get America no where. All it will is continue to make us stupider.

bboss

Smash Journeyman
That's exactly what I'm saying. Trying to fuel propaganda will get America no where. All it will is continue to make us stupider.
yeah, i think instead of inherently trusting the media, people should try to get it from the source (be it a police station, the FBI, etc) instead of just trusting whatever the media says. The media has been notoriously bad at getting the right information in their stories.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Spin, that's the crux of today's media services. Huff post, MSNBC, CNN, WA Post, etc, all left leaning. So of course they choose specific stories to run. Now to be fair, the stories they run themselves aren't necessarily inaccurate. It's just they always run stories that point out the bad side of "red state" agendas.

Cable News Networks are also far less likely to -just report the news-. They have 24 hours of space to fill up. Normal news broadcasts before cable were limited to the evening 1/2 hour show, like NBC nightly news, etc. And the local news reporting agencies which show an hour or two in the AM, an hour at lunch, and another hour at dinner. So naturally the cable variety is going to fill their slots with tons of so-called pundits.Talk shows that revolve around politics aren't new, of course, if anyone is old enough to remember "This Week with David Brinkley." But being that you have SO much time to fill in, you're going to have at least 12 different shows. And the station editors are of course interested in their editorial power, hence why MSNBC is pretty much Democrat Central (even the coloring of the screen splashes, backdrops, and studios are Blue themes, whereas Fox is red).

Back in the day the best unbiased news source was public broadcasting. NPR radio is still pretty good, though they choose many leftist articles to pursue.

If it bothers you, though, which I can't blame you, then the above mentioned advice isn't a bad route. Relying on a news source to dumb down a story for the masses is already going to cost you in terms of accuracy. But not every agency is as forthcoming as others. You could watch C-SPAN and see Congress in action. Without the benefit of an interpreter it's, well, dry. But at least you can pick out what's important to you and go from there.

Meanwhile, OP, I'd recommend editing your post so that, as mentioned, your "left" and "right" are switched correctly.

Here's a graphic to illustrate where these "positions" even come from. Cheers.

Last edited:

Joel_Tarkus

Smash Cadet
NNID
explodingmuffin7
Everything became a mess when celebrities discovered politics

bboss

Smash Journeyman
Back in the day the best unbiased news source was public broadcasting.
This is true, but back in the sixties, after every episode of the CBS evening news, the anchor would look at the camera and state, "This is the CBS evening news, and that's just how it is." Everyone took the news as canon, but now the media is being challenged, which is great.

even the coloring of the screen splashes, backdrops, and studios are Blue themes, whereas Fox is red).
IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

Backwards again. Fox News is blue. CNN is red.

Last edited:

MyNameisHobby

Smash Cadet
NNID
HobbyPlaysGames
If it bothers you, though, which I can't blame you, then the above mentioned advice isn't a bad route.
See, what my Mom apparently does is watch different news sources to get facts from both the left and the right. I think that's a great way to be educated on the political world.

I mostly rely on MSNBC for my news. MSNBC actually does do interviews with Republicans to give their viewers at least a little insight on the right wing of politics.

Everything became a mess when celebrities discovered politics
LOL TRUE. I was almost 99% sure that Lady Gaga would get political at Super Bowl halftime. Thankfully she didn't. However, celebs are getting involved into everything political now. Madonna threatening to bomb the White House was disgusting.

bboss

Smash Journeyman
See, what my Mom apparently does is watch different news sources to get facts from both the left and the right. I think that's a great way to be educated on the political world.
Even if you watch from both the right and the left both sources will still be biased. I would suggest this approach, as I stated before:

people should try to get it from the source (be it a police station, the FBI, etc) instead of just trusting whatever the media says.
Watch the news, I don't care if it's CBS, FOX, CBN, CNN, etc. If you hear an outrageous story (such as CBS's ridiculous "investigation" into Trump's mental health"), I would suggest you check the source, not inherently trust the media. When I did my own "investigation" into Trump's mental health, it revealed that there was no evidence whatsoever for Trump being mentally deficient. It also revealed that the whole story was speculation. (Besides, if any candidate should have been investigated for mental health issues, it should have been Hillary Clinton and her brain tumour in 2010 that was sadly quite serious). That's the problem with the media: they literally run entire stories off of speculation.

That's my approach: watch both FOX and CBS, then check the sources when the two stations contradict each other.

Madonna threatening to bomb the White House was disgusting.
Not to mention Meryl Streep using her award to bash Trump. I respect Meryl's talent as an actress, but she could have used the podium to promote something better, and maybe something a bit more relevant, such as something to do with the film industry, which is what she does. She's an actor. Not a political expert. We all know that some people hate Trump.

I mostly rely on MSNBC for my news. MSNBC actually does do interviews with Republicans to give their viewers at least a little insight on the right wing of politics.

MSNBC is pretty much Democrat Central

Last edited:

MyNameisHobby

Smash Cadet
NNID
HobbyPlaysGames
Overall, I would say America is ****ed when it comes to the media.

There's too much bias in every outlet. I remember seeing CNN had this series called "News for Me", which were these little shorts that had something viral. It had James Rolfe on there once in his "You Know What's Bull****" episode about Pennies.

MyNameisHobby

Smash Cadet
NNID
HobbyPlaysGames
Pretty much, at this point we have two options.

1) Blow it up and start again
2) Give everyone Pepsi
What's worse is that we can't do anything about the media at this point. The 1st amendment protects the Freedom of the Press from the government. Making the media report only the truth, whether if it's for or against their views, would technically be state-ran media. And is even vulnerable to getting told what to report, whether biased or not.

(Fun fact: I was about to type "fake" instead of "biased", but I realized the term "Fake news" is a god awful and unprofessional term to use)

Joel_Tarkus

Smash Cadet
NNID
explodingmuffin7
(Fun fact: I was about to type "fake" instead of "biased", but I realized the term "Fake news" is a god awful and unprofessional term to use)
Which brings up my next point. Why do we have to use silly terms like this, if It is such a problem than why can we not use a more professional term and all be adults about this?

MyNameisHobby

Smash Cadet
NNID
HobbyPlaysGames
Why do we have to use silly terms like this, if It is such a problem than why can we not use a more professional term and all be adults about this?
Exactly.

I don't know how we go from "news bias" to "fake news". It's more noticeable for Trump supporters. No denying that Trump has questionable grammar and is bestowing it upon his supporters. "Clinton News Network" is just an extremely immature nickname people have come up with. Just call it CNN for God's sake. Think it's biased all you want, but silly names just make you look like you need special needs.

Silly terms in general make people look unprofessional. It doesn't make anything powerful and it definitely isn't very good "propaganda".

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
You know how Russians don't have a choice to not have Putin or Putin's agenda? Same thing goes for America. On the surface the divisions appear real, but this is just a facade, a distraction from the fact that both sides are serving one set of masters who pull all the strings for their own gain. They make certain they win no matter who "wins". And believe, they won't ever get tired of winning.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
As much as I detest the sensationalist yellow journalism of today on both sides... No. I don't think it really is.

Information is more accessible than ever, thus people are more politically aware and active. This is simply a symptom of 'knowledge overload' where people's understanding has yet to catch up to the information.

I also don't really know how to criticize American News, either. It's largely influenced by profits, thus recent events and their possible effects are more covered. This is why they become so biased. If you don't choose a side, you're more likely to piss your audience off by disagreeing or not showing something which caters to their biases.

What if CNN actually DID occasionally provide some positive news about Trump? Even defending him?
Contrary, what if FOX did the same with Obama back in the day?

They'd lose viewers. Even if it's JUST in that timespan they cover the article, they could lose hundreds of thousands, if not more.

But, the converse of government funded news meant to be free of bias doesn't work either. Look at BBC, or Russia Today. They still manage to be biased in regards to their own government and it's current agenda.

The solution? This. Right here. On this forum, discussing our views and bashing them against the other until they become more refined. Which is why I really could care less about the handful of Nazis vs the 30k in Boston. Or the typo Trump made on his tweets. The most important thing to me, is information. The accessibility of it, and Net Neutrality.

But, people who watch TV don't care about Net Neutrality. It doesn't largely effect them. Which is why I wish we can get that many people to protest a small Gazebo of idiots to march against observably corrupt FCC instead.

Top Bottom