• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are people angry that Ness took the place of Claus?

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
First off, I'll own you, second off, yeah, cool, see you on Wi-Fi.
Maybe a warning, you may have the game already, but if you keep posting videos of your fights, it won't be much of a fight. I'll know all of your strategies and fighting styles by studying it from your vids. ;)

Ademisk

Smash Champion
True. But then again, I improve so quickly, it doesn't matter. Plus, I always prefer a challenge.

Also, I don't have the game, my friend does. I've only played it once so far, but I plan to again this weekend.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
True. But then again, I improve so quickly, it doesn't matter. Plus, I always prefer a challenge.

Also, I don't have the game, my friend does. I've only played it once so far, but I plan to again this weekend.
You can improve as much as you want, I'll still be observing your every move the more you post up your vids.;)

Austin55

Smash Journeyman
At first I thought Claus was worthy of taking his place, but now that I think about it, you can't replace the classics. I would have liked to have all 3 as playable, but you can't beat having Lucas and Ness in the same game. Now we only need Ninten...

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
the PROBLEM with ness being back is that sakurai spent time making a REPLACEMENT and kept the old one.

teh roster is TIGHT at 35 characters so if you want DIVERSITY you have to cut veterans for newcomers or NOT make newcomers who COULD replace veterans.

another example is: don't make IKE the new fire emblem rep, he looks just like marth (blue haired swords man #1 and #2) in fact he's basically a marth replacement main character for this series of fire emblem games, instead make our new fire emblem rep soem one like lyn (female katana user very original) doing things like this and we coudl have had a diverse roster instead of the one we have wich has LOTS of similar characters (either in playing style or looks):

fox,falco,wolf (krystal would have been more original female non-laser gun instead staff wielder)

marth,ike ( a female rep was perfect here instead, again lyn with katana or micaiah with magic)

ness, lucas (either keep ness or cut him for claus both ness and lucas is psychic kid #1 and #2, since lucas was announced first everyone is on the cut ness band wagon but cutting lucas could have been just as reasonable if we knew ness was back and THEN lucas got announced)

samus, zero suit samus(totally different character playng style but still samus # and samus #2, if your ONLY new female is one we already have in a different form then drop it that isn't good enough, instead make ridley he's highly wanted and totally unique and he makes it look like metroid actually got a new rep, ANy totally new character takes just asm uch time to make, instead of zss make ridley)

link, toon link (THIS one i'm ok with. both of those "styles" of zelda needed rep! however if this was the ONLY guy #1 guy #2 deal we got it would be fine but instead there's like 4 other instances of this happening so i have to add this one to the list. I would have cut ness and ike and wolf ect... and kept link and toon link but if you MUST keep some of thsoe otehrs then make zelda the series to be diverse givet hem midna or tingle even somethign DIFFERENT again only 35 spots we need to make it a wide variety not alot of the same).

the ONLY place sakurai did what was RIGHT was mewtwo and lucario: he REPLACED mewtwo with lucario. this adds DIVERSITY (new series of pokemon) to the roster. now if he had REPLACED alot of other characters, say ness for lucas, this would be fine... however since he opted to KEEP EVERYONE ELSE he COULD have replaced, it seems very odd that he cut mewtwo.

so i dunno the roster has no form, it's got like no new female newcomers (zss is IT) it has ONE melee moveset gettign replaced, and a bunch of newcomer clones who would be welcomed if they had actually REPLACED who they should have.

so THATS why people don't like that ness is back.

a better roster has those "types" cut.

no offense i LIKE ness my friend mains ness but from a "building a good and diverse roster" point of view, 35 characters with lucas having almost exactly ness' moves, ness had to go.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Lucas's moves are so different than Ness it's scary. Have you even played the game yet? I don't see how Lucas being in the game, or Wolf, or Ike, have ANYTHING to do with the characters from the same game. They're all diverse characters, obviously. You're just making broad generalizations based on short descriptions of the characters. Sakurai did a fantastic job diversifying the so called 'clone' characters' movesets to the point where it's extremely difficult to call them clones.

Also, anybody who didn't expect Ness to be back is ********, srsly.

clayfighter0

Smash Cadet
Ya you have to remember that Claus is Lucas older twin brother there's no differnece at all pretty much some but not to much other then like weapon choice and all that crap but... lucas has Claus costume and plus the main distinguished charaeristic was that his har poofed to the other side and lucas's poofed to the other side lol!!!!

clayfighter0

Smash Cadet
At first I thought Claus was worthy of taking his place, but now that I think about it, you can't replace the classics. I would have liked to have all 3 as playable, but you can't beat having Lucas and Ness in the same game. Now we only need Ninten...
Ya but you have to realize ninten and ness are the same characters pretty much or they were intended to be if you ask me if they are to ad danother earthbounder it should be like.... Jeff, Poo, or Flint

clayfighter0

Smash Cadet
Sorry bout that u must not ahve much to do if you can sit around and ***** at me for double posting i just forgot to add that im sry......you must hate me ohhhh btw? do you have an account on smashbrawlrankings.com?

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
You can improve as much as you want, I'll still be observing your every move the more you post up your vids.;)
you can watch every pro vid of Ken on the internet, doesn't mean you'll ever be able to even kill him once in melee. Seeing Ademisk play is far from playing him, and farther still from beating him.

That's fine. You can't learn anything from video anyway. ^_^
you can learn a lot, seems like he wants to be your student more than your rival from watching you so intently Ademisk.

Now can you two please stop this pointless bickering. Ironic that i should be the voice of reason, but it solves nothing...why not simply set up a match and settle this a week when you have your hands on the game. We all know Ademisk is about a 5:1 favorite to win, but words are useless and only a fight can decide.

i just forgot to add that im sry.
...that's what the 'edit' button is for.(when you forget things)

clayfighter0

Smash Cadet
Kk sounds good but...... ademisk i just want to wish u best of luck and i really want to become your friend not your enemy we all make mistakes i apologize.....NBL(Nothing but love) and gg's

Ademisk

Smash Champion
When I meant you can't learn anything from videos, I meant you can't learn anything about the person. You can definitely learn how to play better from video, you're talking to someone who's watched every video of Simna's religiously. But that doesn't mean I am even a tiny bit closer to understanding how to beat him. The only way you can figure out how to beat someone is to play them.

clayfighter0

Smash Cadet
Yes i know i've watched his viedo's religously also.... and i've trained for many fuggin hours..... perfecting all my combos and moves. but it all changed when brawl came out so i've relearned my combos. im just trying to tell you that it's going to be a good match.

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
When I meant you can't learn anything from videos, I meant you can't learn anything about the person. You can definitely learn how to play better from video, you're talking to someone who's watched every video of Simna's religiously. But that doesn't mean I am even a tiny bit closer to understanding how to beat him. The only way you can figure out how to beat someone is to play them.
Ill agree with that to a point. There are a few things you can learn to fight specific people from watching videos of them(especially if they are beaten by something specific repeatedly in said video). But in the grand scheme of things, it does almost nothing to help your chances...although it may help you evolve on the whole as a player and therefore more likely to beat everyone, including your 'rival' who you initially sought to.(and as far as the thing about Simna, that's why i'm hoping i'll get a chance to play him on wi-fi soon. He'll destroy me without a doubt, but i could learn something from that)

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
im mad that sakurai didn't have the brains to just include claus as well as other character, (BlackShadow). Claus and ness weren't as interchangeable as Lucas and Ness, but hey he still made it so i'm not complaining.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
I played him at SCC, all our matches came down to the last stock. That is why I hate Ness dittos more than anything. They're pointless and stupid. If I can bring Simna down to 1 stock in a Ness ditto, then they don't serve any purpose.

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
No because Mother is a horrible franchise. I'm angry that it got 2 reps.
If it were me I would have given the Mother series a total of 4 reps, and possibly alt costumes with that too. That, and replace Wolf with Krystal.

Just because I've never seen a game of a certain rep, like Fire Emblem for me, I don't think they don't deserve no reps. I wouldn't never known about Fire Emblem until I played Melee and Brawl.

Sinistar

Smash Journeyman
This thread makes me laugh so much.

NESS took the place of Claus, even though Ness has been from the start.

I lol'd hard.

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
yes, they all own. And why is everyone mad that claus isn't in? yes, he is hella pimp, but you can always just use Lucas's Claus costume and then name him Claus...

3D King

Smash Journeyman
yes, they all own. And why is everyone mad that claus isn't in? yes, he is hella pimp, but you can always just use Lucas's Claus costume and then name him Claus...
Last I checked Lucas didn't have a Lightning Sword and a cool helmet.

Claus's place wasn't stolen by Ness. Claus just didn't get in and Ness did. It's not like without Ness, Claus would be in. I'm sad he didn't make it but people who blame Ness are just trying to find something to focus their hate on.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace

This is how Claus looks like in his Masked Man form. No wonder why a lot of people wanted this guy in and Ness out. He seems like Nintendo's version of Darth Vader.

Helmets makes him look gay. Add him in, but make it possible to get rid of the helmet.

DeeDoubleU

Smash Journeyman
the PROBLEM with ness being back is that sakurai spent time making a REPLACEMENT and kept the old one.
First of all, this is a very stupid statement. It's stupid because it makes an absurd leap to conclusions that Lucas was originally intended to replace Ness... thoughout the development of THIS game. If that had been the case, I would have to wonder why the hell Sakurai would make a point of changing key attributes of all of his moves in the first place. Particularly... PK fire. PK fire was unique in how it attacked, and that is critically changed for Lucas. I don't believe Lucas was ever meant to replace Ness, at least as long as Lucas was actually being worked on.

teh roster is TIGHT at 35 characters so if you want DIVERSITY you have to cut veterans for newcomers or NOT make newcomers who COULD replace veterans.
Thats a bit of a funny issue actually. Most of the veterans have pre-existing resources to build on and generally speaking, I highly doubt you would get a 1:1 ratio of new characters by cutting old ones. Clones especially. The fact that they can share at least parts of animations and parts of programming really cuts down on the amount of work that needs to be done.

marth,ike ( a female rep was perfect here instead, again lyn with katana or micaiah with magic)
This is another thing I don't really understand.... Why the hell does gender matter? It's all about how they act really, not about whether they are male or female.

no offense i LIKE ness my friend mains ness but from a "building a good and diverse roster" point of view, 35 characters with lucas having almost exactly ness' moves, ness had to go.
The fact is, Ness and Lucas play rather differently. If you can't appreciate the differences, go suck on an egg. But really, diversity doesn't come from how many "different" characters there are, it comes from how many different playstyles there are. Each character brings playstyles to the table. It's only characters that don't bring them to the table which should be "cut for the sake of building a good and diverse roster".

Top Bottom