• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are people angry that Ness took the place of Claus?

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
I hope this doesn't cause any flames but I hope we can know why many people are angry or not so happy why Ness is back. This is different than the other thread in this forum because this one is about how Claus who could have been a cool PC with a lightsabre, according to many people, didn't make it because Ness took his place and Sakurai didn't feel the need to replace Ness with Claus.

Are you very angry that Claus didn't make it because Ness took his place instead?

I never understood why many members dislike Ness so much, it's almost like IMHO they seem like they are suffering and wailing greatly because Ness is in and he took the place of an otherwise much cooler character who can wield a lightsabre and is cool.

It's an unfortunate fact that Sakurai didn't decide to have more than 35 characters on the roster, but since Brawl is here we might as well have to be happy for who we have... like Ness. We also should be happy for Lucas as well.

If Sakurai had more characters, I would have been happy with Ness, Lucas, and Claus.

I hope we can discuss this without flaming or angriness. That wouldn't be good.

Lucas_User

Smash Journeyman
Uh...?
It should be "Are people angry that Lucas took the place of Claus?"
Ness has been in the series longer than Lucas, so you should really say Lucas took Claus' place.

BentoBox

Smash Master
What he said^

And I'm not too familiar with the Mother series but doesn't Lucas have a Claus color scheme? And if so, does the name of the character really matter much? =/

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Well, I am disappointed Claus didn't make it in, especially considering they did remove a character with an original moveset (Mewtwo) and replaced it with a heavily decloned version (Lucario), much like Lucas and Ness' relationship, which would have been doing the exact same thing. However, Ness is one of the original 12, and it wouldn't have felt right without him. I'm of two minds, I guess. I view it more as disappointment Claus didn't make it, instead of anger that Ness did over him.

Also, you may get the argument that Ness was always there, and took no one's spot, and it's equally Lucas' fault.

squarez

Smash Apprentice
Being as that I dont know who claus is, it feels nicer to have ness back in because he was in the two previous games.

Levitas

the moon
Yeah, it's pretty much what they said. Claus had the misfortune (shared by us) of never being in. It has nothing to do with Ness, and certainly isn't his fault, just as it isn't Samus's fault that Ridley's not in.

EarthBound08

Smash Apprentice
Agreed. Ness didn't take any spot from Claus. Claus, Ness, and Lucas would've been perfect reps for the Mother series, but, and this pains me to say it, I think Metroid, Mario, and Pokemon should get another rep before Mother gets three. You couldn't really say that Lucas took Claus's spot either. Why would a supporting character--important or not--be in before the main character (the Link and Zelda thing could be argued here, as Zelda could be considered the main character and Link the supporting, but this is apples and oranges).

EB08

Levitas

the moon
They're identical twins. The only purpose of the recolor in either mother 3 or smash bros is to distinguish them. That being said, claus is not a wimp like lucas, and therefore, his attack animations are waaaay off the mark for him.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
read Iwata Says. Sakurai had the final plan of this game in mind before the game even went past half of it's development. Sakuraoi never planned Claus to be anything more than a Lucas costume swap (Yeah I know about the two versions of Claus). A character can only replace another if the one character was planned to be in the game. Claus was not.

Mac_77

Smash Cadet
So, a character who's been in Smash Bros. since the very beginning that is in... THE SEQUEL?

WHAT IS THIS NOISE?!

Truly, it would be pointless to be angry about this, seriously.

Ness never took the place of anybody, he is right where he's supposed to be. :)

Sure, it is a shame that Claus is reduced to nothing but an alternate costume, although the Masked Man Claus would have been perfect as a Character in Brawl, but there really is no sense into thinking about what could have been...

Wardub

Smash Cadet
Sakurai made the right choice. They definately shouldn't have replaced ness, a character who was released in the US, with someone who wasn't released in the States. Ness deserves to be in brawl.

thespoiler

Smash Cadet
I hope this doesn't cause any flames but I hope we can know why many people are angry or not so happy why Ness is back. This is different than the other thread in this forum because this one is about how Claus who could have been a cool PC with a lightsabre, according to many people, didn't make it because Ness took his place and Sakurai didn't feel the need to replace Ness with Claus.

Are you very angry that Claus didn't make it because Ness took his place instead?

I never understood why many members dislike Ness so much, it's almost like IMHO they seem like they are suffering and wailing greatly because Ness is in and he took the place of an otherwise much cooler character who can wield a lightsabre and is cool.

It's an unfortunate fact that Sakurai didn't decide to have more than 35 characters on the roster, but since Brawl is here we might as well have to be happy for who we have... like Ness. We also should be happy for Lucas as well.

If Sakurai had more characters, I would have been happy with Ness, Lucas, and Claus.

I hope we can discuss this without flaming or angriness. That wouldn't be good.
How could anyone assume that this is true without Sakurai himself stating otherwise? It seems to me that the only reason you posted this was to disturb the Ness community. If not, then why would you believe this to be true? If Sakurai truly wanted Claus's inclusion in Brawl, he would have put Claus in the random spot, and there would have been another way to choose randomly.

Remember, believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see.

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
No I did not post this to disturb the Ness community. I like Ness a lot, and I was very happy that he was included in Brawl but I posted this because it irked me when some other members basically started wailing and weeping it seems when Ness was included. I remember there being a lot of heated debate like threads before the roster was announced saying "Ness isn't in Brawl, come help those in denial". It just seemed to me a few members on this forum were bitter that Claus was not in, and they said that Ness should go in favor of Claus.

thespoiler

Smash Cadet
No I did not post this to disturb the Ness community. I like Ness a lot, and I was very happy that he was included in Brawl but I posted this because it irked me when some other members basically started wailing and weeping it seems when Ness was included. I remember there being a lot of heated debate like threads before the roster was announced saying "Ness isn't in Brawl, come help those in denial". It just seemed to me a few members on this forum were bitter that Claus was not in, and they said that Ness should go in favor of Claus.
That clears things up.

I don't think Claus would've ever gotten in. He's a second rate Nintendo character.

Sythe

Smash Rookie
I never really followed the mother series, if possible, could someone post a picture of what Claus looks like?

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman

This is how Claus looks like in his Masked Man form. No wonder why a lot of people wanted this guy in and Ness out. He seems like Nintendo's version of Darth Vader.

Levitas

the moon
This is what the topic should say:
"Are people angry that so few people get how great Earthbound/Mother is, especially in the US?"

Spartan1841

Smash Journeyman
I think no ones angry but I dont think claus was ever going to be in brawl since the beginning only sakurai knows but I doubt its true

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
Im not. Regular Claus sucked. IF your talking about Mecha controlled Claus, than thats another story (Glad Ness is back)

Axel-of-the-Key

Smash Cadet
I'm not angry, I'm really glad Ness returned. While I was a fierce supporter of Claus/
The Masked Man
, I think the game will be fine with Ness and Lucas as its reps for Earthbound.

DeeDoubleU

Smash Journeyman

This is how Claus looks like in his Masked Man form. No wonder why a lot of people wanted this guy in and Ness out. He seems like Nintendo's version of Darth Vader.
I can understand the part of "No wonder why a lot of people wanted this guy in", but I really don't get where anyone is coming from the "and Ness out" part. It just seems stupid. The two characters have nothing at all to do with each other. They don't seem like they would share similar move sets, they don't share similar roles in their respective games and there is generally just no reason that Claus could ever be considered a "replacement" for Ness.

TheGlitchMaster

Smash Lord
ehh, ok, he's not, or falco....but still, claus would be better than anyone. other than leon s. kenneddy....or missingno.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
idk the first thing about earthbound but after seeing claus i would much rather him then ness. we got lucas and altho not exact clones, clause would of made a better veriety choice.

oh wlel still ness is in so w.e all good

WarZ

Smash Apprentice
I would rather replace claus with lucas since ness was always a vet in smash.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Please, MetaSonic, whatever you do, DON'T bring the Wolf n00bs here. We have enough problems being a Brawl board, without bringing them into this.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
I would rather replace claus with lucas since ness was always a vet in smash.
How can you replace someone who was never a PC :ohwell:
Please, MetaSonic, whatever you do, DON'T bring the Wolf n00bs here. We have enough problems being a Brawl board, without bringing them into this.
I'm not bringing them into this, just trying make a point that Wolf isn't a Fox clone.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
I know, I was just messing around.

Wolf is a clone though. In the same way that Lucas is. Clones are different in Brawl, but they're still basically the same thing. More like twins than clones. The B-moves share far too many similarities to be completely original characters.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
I know, I was just messing around.

Wolf is a clone though. In the same way that Lucas is. Clones are different in Brawl, but they're still basically the same thing. More like twins than clones. The B-moves share far too many similarities to be completely original characters.
Doesn't matter, I'll pwn you and anyone else who stands in my way, with Wolf.

Top Bottom