• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are Ike's combos impossible without a C-Stick?

Logshooter

Smash Rookie
^Title. This is my first post here, hi :)

Ike's been my main since brawl. I've only ever owned the 64 version, but I've been playing smash "for fun" with my neighborhood friends for years. When Brawl came out, I fell in love with Ike. He was basic ***** - raw power. It was amazing. It inspired me to download the Dolphin emu on my PC when it became functional to really practice with him. Between practice on an emulator, and hundreds of hours of human vs human smash, I got really good with him. Smash 4 came out, and Ike is better than ever. God, the feel. When my friends and I organized a tourney for Smash 4 (~20 people showed, it was tit), I managed to Ike my way up to the semi finals before the guy who ended up being champ beat me with Little Mac (damn you, Spagooter).

Since emulation is not a thing for the Wii U, I finally broke down and bought two 3DS XLs and two copies of Smash for my girlfriend and I. Playing on this thing is just nothing like having a classic/gamecube controller, but I'm "starting" to get used to it. The major issue I'm facing right now is combos. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to Dtilt + turnaround + Bair without a C stick? Holy crap, I'm at a loss. Am I just really bad? I'm sitting here frustrated, just listening to the stage music loop. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TL;DR
Title

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
The 3DS analogue stick isn't really well built for Smash, but is easier to do some motions on than the GC controller (for example, I find the Z motions for Ryu very easy on the 3DS). The main thing is to keep practicing, or change the combo up so you don't need to use B-air. Which part of the combo are you getting stuck with?

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Not impossible, but harder. Ike needs to buffer to make his strings and combos flow. Without the c stick you have to do everything manually, which slows you down.

Logshooter

Smash Rookie
The 3DS analogue stick isn't really well built for Smash, but is easier to do some motions on than the GC controller (for example, I find the Z motions for Ryu very easy on the 3DS). The main thing is to keep practicing, or change the combo up so you don't need to use B-air. Which part of the combo are you getting stuck with?
I'm mainly having trouble buffering turnarounds with aerials. The input required for a turnaround + bair, for example, requires that I turn the stick left (if I'm facing right), jump, then turn the stick back around and hit A. Doing this without accidentally screwing up the input is hard enough, but buffering it seems damn near impossible. I'm basically having to make sure I turn the stick around between hitting X and A, and because I'm "rolling" my thumb across the two buttons to ensure a good buffer, making sure I turn the stick at the right time seems to require some kind of ultra-robotic timing that only an alien could reliably do consistently. Is it possible my control scheme might need to be changed?

Prepare_Yourself

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3067-6422-0231
I'm mainly having trouble buffering turnarounds with aerials. The input required for a turnaround + bair, for example, requires that I turn the stick left (if I'm facing right), jump, then turn the stick back around and hit A. Doing this without accidentally screwing up the input is hard enough, but buffering it seems damn near impossible. I'm basically having to make sure I turn the stick around between hitting X and A, and because I'm "rolling" my thumb across the two buttons to ensure a good buffer, making sure I turn the stick at the right time seems to require some kind of ultra-robotic timing that only an alien could reliably do consistently. Is it possible my control scheme might need to be changed?
I'll assume you're not a fan of tap-jump? Using that might give you a little of that versatility right at the start of a short hop; you could try getting used to tilting the stick around from right to up to left and then hitting A for that maneuver.

Last edited:

Logshooter

Smash Rookie
I'll assume you're not a fan of tap-jump? Using that might give you a little of that versatility right at the start of a short hop; you could try getting used to tilting the stick around from right to up to left and then hitting A for that maneuver.
You know, I used to use tap jump exclusively. I think I may have heard somewhere that the general consensus is tap jump is horrible, and X/Y will give you greater control of your jumps, so I turned it off and re-trained myself for using X/Y. Tap jump is actually making my life a little easier. I'm still struggling with tilts into turnarounds (without having ike dash away from the opponent, or just flat out not doing it), but perhaps with practice I can get it down. Thanks!

Arrei

Smash Lord
Tap Jump has its benefits and downsides. It makes using USpecials and USmashes out of shield much easier, but Ike gets little to no mileage out of those and possibly finds himself more easily gimped by accidentally burning his air jump when using Aether.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
I've never had that issue. People be spamming up without a need to.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Fellow N3DS user.

I haven't used tap jump since Melee, since I find it so damn hard to short hop with tap jump... I might give it a fair shot again, for training purposes.

I can approach with SH Bair on my 3DS without tap jump, but it seems to have way, way more lag than what I see Ryo do on the Wii U. Basically, I can't buffer it. But, I can at least pull of the maneuver.

Last edited:

kro_

Smash Apprentice
I only have the 3DS, and can pull off many of his combos. However, a C-stick is much preferred, yes. On a 3DS, I would never play with tap jump on. Set grab to Y for easy pivot grabs, use X for jumps.

MasterExocuter

Smash Cadet
for 3ds, the best way to use bair without a c-stick is to RAR bair (reverse aerial rush). You won't be able to do things like falling up air, but that's only useful in a couple of situations. before I got used to using the GC controller, my movement on the 3ds was much more fluid, so don't think the 3ds is that bad for playing Ike with.

Enguard

Smash Rookie
The New 3DS c nub makes ike's combos much more easier(although it can't do nair)

Last edited:
Top Bottom