• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are Icies being slept on?

spinalwolf

Smash Apprentice
I feel people are underestimating Ice climbers cause they still don't know about their insane punish game off their grab thanks to desyncs. They can even kill you off of one grab and they have by far one of the best punish games in Ultimate. Probably even the best punish game. I guess people focus too much on the negatives like how lackluster their neutral is or how god awful their disadvantage state is as well, but all it takes is one grab and that stock is considered dead or atleast close to it. The way I see it they're a high risk high reward character but I'm curious how other people view Icies in this game and how good they are compared to the rest of the cast.

Last edited:

X-FACTOR

Smash Journeyman
I think they are sleeping gods! Their neutral is way better in ultimate than brawl, they dish out really good damage, and they are a lot faster/safer now. They kill relativity early too. Once their meta evolves and IC mains are more comfortable desyncing reliably and on command, they are gonna wreck shop. IC have always earned a spot in upper echelon of tiers, but that has always taken time. The nature of the character (2 in 1) allows for very unique game play which often times open up to some "game breaking" advantages/punishes. If you look at the first tier-list for every game IC have been in, they almost always start out very low. Although as the meta evolves and IC mains understand the character more in depthly, they end up shooting to the top.

IC just need to simmer a bit in the lab before they get any recognition. They have always been a very technical character and require creative play to excel, so its not as evident at first. Its easier to see why other characters are initially good at first, cause its often times up front and very visual/gimmicky. IC aren't so clear at right away, but once they get rolling its a wrap. I'm confident they will be a great character that can compete, maybe not the best character in game but I'm comfortable putting them at top 10.... maybe higher?

Unless there's some crazy patches in the near future Nintendo puts out to nerf them, or the DLC characters are broken as heck, I don't see them being weak or bad at all at this current place in time.

They are climbing to the top!

Retr_00001

Smash Rookie
Ice Climbers are honestly so good because of their air down smash. the :GCU::GCCD::GCZ::GCR::GCR::GCB: combo is (in my opinion) one of the best.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
If some one actually can learn the character then definite top 5, this character still has stupidly good 0 to death potential
Actually even without the desyncs I think they're stupidly good, their aerials have no landing lag whatsoever outside of up and down aerials, bair is so mad good on shield, it kills early it only has 7 frames of landing lag which is really 4 considering the added shieldstun that nana's hit adds. Fair is so good, its slow to come out but it kills even earlier than bair does and 10 frames or landing lag which is more like 7 is also wack, nair is good for setting up stuff, their grab has stupid potential though, by itself dthrow to uair chains can wrack up a good 60% on its own and they even have a hoohah that can kill at about 110% on midweights and on Bowser, the heaviest character in the game, it kills at a measly 140%. SPEAKING OF WHICH I got a kill combo at 45% on ness that works from almost mid stage, dthrow to full hop uair to fair, and since ness is floaty as anything that opens the floodgates for all kinds of other characters.

They have wavedashing stuff, they have a somewhat decent projectile that can be reflected but it can be kinda hard to do so, down b is gross at ledge. Their recovery is actually pretty good, up b has a hitbox and goes really really far upwards. With the desyncs these characters become monsters. If some one used them to good effect I think they could be a good deal into top 20 without desyncs, with them? High top 10 no doubt.

Last edited:

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
I reckon! I'm not there yet but I often beat players in elite now with them. They seem to have a lot of tools to bully Puff, Pika/Pichu, and even swordies if you keep your distance with smart Fairs. They also have many more interesting methods of getting back on stage that people don't expect. Even with terrible Nana D.

Jthomas

Smash Rookie
I think desyncs should compliment their game but when it's the sole focus I think it holds them back. IMO a desync is situational and shouldn't be used in high risk situations in case you wiff the tight input windows. I think it's stupid ICs are written off because of Nana's AI which you can learn to adjust for. Resyncing with her is never discussed but really important. If she's offstage you really should go recover her. IC disadvantage aside if you can learn to minimize their weaknesses their combo, damage, juggle, and edgeguarding game is amazing. Their hitboxes are said to be stubby but are still disjointed and have long active duration due to being performed twice. Most importantly their K.O confirms are top tier but overlooked like they are. Down throw Fair at the ledge can consistently spike around 50-60%. Up throw or up tilt can confirm into up B past 100%. Down B freeze past 100% can again loop into up tilt Uair or up b. Almost every attack even dash attack leads into a string or bread and butter combo loop. Mii swordfighter was hyped up for just one simple confirm. I think ICs are unjustly written off and because of that everything good about them is unknown. Push the meta fellow IC mains!

Top Bottom