• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are Freefall Mechanics Good for Smash?

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Freefalling
The freefall mechanic, as I understand it, is generally attributed to the majority of up specials(and some other special moves) in the game.

When most characters use their up special, they fall without the ability to take any action other than veering left or right.

Exceptions

However, Sonic, Megaman, Bayonetta, R.O.B., Bowser Jr.(to a lesser extent), Mr. Game and Watch, Snake all avoid this rule. These characters all have 1 or more other actions they can take after using their up special. As far as I am aware, no one takes issue with this fact.

Necessary?
So, why are the others locked out of any options after using an up special? Is it necessary? Would it be detrimental to the game? I don’t think so, but how do you feel?

Would it be hard to swallow if perhaps Roy, after missing his Blazer(up B), could react with an aerial or another special move like Bayonetta? Or Sonic? Sonic alone is capable of recovering and still choosing from 8 different attacks and air dodging before being hit or landing on a surface. Bayonetta is capable of even more. Even Bowser Jr., at least, has the option to attack.

To clarify, characters benefitting from the removal of freefall would remain inable to
Jump or Use their up specials again until they land or grab the ledge as usual. Being hit before landing would still restore their up special, but not their jumps.

Additional Recovery Options
If the freefall mechanic were to be removed, tether grabs would become invaluable. Example: Young Link could use up special far from ledge grab range, but tether would still be available for recovery.

Fire Fox could be used to reposition yourself before using Fox Illusion to recover.

Balancing

I believe that removal of freefall mechanics would be a step forward with regard to balancing the viability of each character in competitive scenarios. We all know how important frame data is to the competitive Smash scene and we all know less recovery frames means a better character.

When considering options, the competitive player will choose minimal risk approaches and attacks with the best frame data(least start up and recovery frames). Therefore, up specials, even those with impressively low start up, are too risky to be employed by most competitive players and with most characters, barring the final blow in some cases.

Conclusion

Clearly, I am biased towards ending the freefall, but I hope so have made my reasoning clear. Several characters are immune to the effects of free fall with seemingly no opposition from the community. So, it is difficult for me to see why other characters cannot share the same freedoms.

I have reviewed the possibilities this would open up and there are characters who would not benefit. Examples of this are Kirby, Ike, Yoshi, Jigglypuff and Chrom. Ike and Chrom must reach the ground to complete their up specials, Jigglypuff falls asleep, Yoshi does not receive free fall(and shouldn’t), and Kirby also descends to the ground before completing his up special.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
It looks like they got rid of the free fall on a lot of side recoveries, so maybe they're starting to go this way, at least a little

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
It would be too easy for some characters to abuse this system, that's probably why they didn't removed the free fall yet. Also, if some characters have their free fall removed on certain moves, that's for balancing purposes. Some Special-Up + Special-Side combo could broke balance (too easy recovery / powerful combo).

JadeRock 5599

Smash Cadet
It makes sense for some to not freefall and some to freefall. Like you said tether recoveries would become very good.

The mechanic gives better balance.

Top Bottom