• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are Arc System Works and Koei Tecmo the last two big Japanese publishers without characters in Smash?

Quillion

Smash Hero
I know that getting more characters from the existing publishers in Smash is a thing, but I have a feeling that Smash is still a bit too focused on getting Japanese-made characters over foreign ones as of yet. But Smash can't rely solely on Japanese publishers for third-party icons forever, and Banjo seems like a "special exception".

Anyway, it feels like ArcSys and KT are the last two Japanese publishers without a character in Smash, and they along with SNK are admittedly lesser known compared to Bamco, Konami, Sega, Capcom, and Squeenix.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I wouldn't be surprised if Ragna made it in. Ryu Hayabusa seems worthy of inclusion as well, having had the first Ninja Gaiden trilogy for the NES.
Considering Smash tends to go for more older/classic icons instead of modern ones, wouldn't Sol Badguy make more sense for ArcSys?

rlwrgh

Smash Apprentice
Oh wow yes soul badguy is a character who wasn't even on my radar but would be very cool. I also agree with ryu from ninja gaiden which seems actually pretty likely.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
There will always be a “_______ is the last big ________” we need in Smash. People said it was Namco-Bandai. People said it was SNK. People will say it’s Arc Sys. People will say it’s Koei Tecmo.

I don’t think Sakurai thinks about companies. He thinks about characters and series that should be in Smash.

D

Deleted member

Yes they are.

Sol bad guy and Ryu hayabusa would make mighty fine additions to the roster.

And I wanna see them get in.

Quillion

Smash Hero
There will always be a “_______ is the last big ________” we need in Smash. People said it was Namco-Bandai. People said it was SNK. People will say it’s Arc Sys. People will say it’s Koei Tecmo.

I don’t think Sakurai thinks about companies. He thinks about characters and series that should be in Smash.
I didn't say we need them, quit being so presumptious. I just wanted to point out that the last few Japanese publishers that can be considered major without characters in Smash won't really measure up to the big ones at this point.

Who dafuq is ark sys?
They make a lot of fighting games: Guilty Gear and BlazBlue as original IPs, and licensed fighters like Dragon Ball FighterZ and Persona 4 Arena.

Always Falcom as well, while not close to the biggest they're quite well regarded in Japan and Korea both and have been since the 80s.
Ah, forgot about Falcom. Come to think of it, there's also Nippon Ichi, who has occasionally co-published with Falcom.

FelFlick

Smash Cadet
Level-5 and Natsume too! And, if there is any possibility of this becoming a reality, Sony.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I didn't say we need them, quit being so presumptious. I just wanted to point out that the last few Japanese publishers that can be considered major without characters in Smash won't really measure up to the big ones at this point.
Thread literally asked for my opinion.

Top Bottom