• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arcade Legacy Presents: ARMAGEDDON - March 23rd, 2013 - Cincinnati, OH

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
so i cant enter the mk legal event cause i didnt place top 64 at apex?

i would **** this whole region except for ally, zinoto, shugo , lain.

this is kingtoon

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Since 2010 I haven't lost to anyone in the Midwest but zinoto, who has my respect and I respect him. Kel if you would like to money match for any amount please feel free
And we can sit here and argue if I'm good or not but I have proved myself. And for anyone who thinks they can beat me can money match me here so I can prove myself to them personally.
:phone:
So we're hindered unless we beat you recently, in which case we don't count as midwest. Cool.

How about this:

$1,000 money match

But it's going to be Smash 4

and you have to live at minimum 3 hours from every tournament and can't have more than 4 people within driving distance

Also none of them can be better than you

There's no "holding midwest back" with our rulesets. Never has been. People said the same thing in melee because of our stage lists. It is literally all population density, and you can track it.

Good players begat good players.

When the midwest scene started for Brawl, there were two "top players" that won all the events: myself and Anther. It wasn't even a debate. People got better later, and occasionally we'd lose a match or set to someone random (I lost to Tink once, if I recall correctly!), but any reasonable person watching results would say "oh, these are the winning players".

If you start from that point and move forward, you can see ALL of the top players in the midwest spawned from those areas.

Who did I play with? I played with Kel, and Y.b.M., and Infern, to name a few. Anther begat Needle of Juntah, Lain, Judge, all of 'em.

We made those players because they were able to improve themselves by beating us. Take their natural skill level (higher for some, much lower for others) and you can see them improve in relation to it. Once they got to a level that they could compete at our level, you could see games starting to trade, then sets, then tournaments. Suddenly Anther and I weren't the only kids on the block and everyone that was beating us happened to live close to Ann Arbor or Cincinnati. It took only a short while for some of them to become powerhouses in their own right, others it took months or even years, but then they did it.

Just think about the rise and fall of players you know of that weren't good, then became good seemingly out of nowhere. Who did they play with, what did they do differently? Was it sudden, or was it gradual? You'll find these "sudden improvements" almost always have a group they play with.

That's why there are "hot spots". Occasionally you get a random diamond in the rough, but by and large you can predict who is going to be good by who they live near.

You probably have improved quite a bit over time, but let me guess:

You played a list of top players that helped create you to be what you are.

There is no substitute for proximity and dedication. None. I don't play that much anymore because I met my quota in Brawl and I've got other things to do now (plus I have like a decade of single player games I'm trying to catch up on XD), but I can tell you exactly how good I'd get based on how good the people in my area are. I could probably start sweeping tournaments in my local area pretty easily but would be hindered in larger events.

That's the #1 thing in determining who is good. #2 is probably a mix between character choice, talent and dedication, depending on a variety of factors (someone with a lot of talent and a love of jigglypuff in Brawl probably wouldn't go very far, but likewise a Meta Knight with no dedication and talent wouldn't go very far either).

Note: If reading closely you'll probably say "Well where did you and Anther come from?!" and the answer is "Melee". We were both relatively mediocre, although we both did pretty decent towards the end due to a combination of more practice and other melee players retiring. We were able to build off that base and do well.

You can find similar things that will happen in Smash 4 if it is competitive. Anyone that can be considered a top 16 player for their region can instantly move on to the new game as a possible "best in the region" player if they pick up on it faster.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
dude. u have ally, zinoto, lain, kain, shugo in ur region. its ur problem if u dont take the time to improve like we do.

and this is kingtoon also

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Overswarm, your arguement is irrelevant and stupid. Money match me in brawl for 100 dollars or shut the **** up. Kel money match me for 20. Anyone else who has a problem can money match me too. I don't think the Midwest is terrible. I tried to help you guys as a region and not ban meta knight but everyone wants to be a ***** about it so ill come to this tournament and dominate it even tho I'm an unranked NJ/NY player. Yes, my region is that much better then yours.

clowsui

Smash Legend
you said that the last time and got bodied by DJ iskaskribble while complaining that he gayed the hell out of you when actually there wasn't too much airtime recorded or anything close to the LGL being met.

don't act like i'm choking anyone out by having MK banned.

KT Kasrani

Smash Champion
you said that the last time and got bodied by DJ iskaskribble while complaining that he gayed the hell out of you when actually there wasn't too much airtime recorded or anything close to the LGL being met.

that was 2 years ago -_-

M@v

Subarashii!
Xzax you placed top 64 I thought.

Also, take it from the guy who plays midwest a lot but also gets to watch Xzax play. He'd likely beat everyone in this region except for shugo, zinoto, and maybe kain and Kazi (yes, Kazi). I don't want to ruffle feathers but that's based on what I've seen.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Nah but in all seriousness all I want is EVIDENCE THAT MORE PEOPLE WILL COME TO THIS IF I MAKE IT MK LEGAL.

Right now I'm getting 0 vibe that there'll be a difference either way.

If there is no difference whatsoever, then I'd rather host MK banned for variety's sake + not many ppl from my region usually go to APEX anyways (though I'm sure a ton will want to) + Phoenix Saga is MK legal + a few others things I'm forgetting

For ****'s sake it has nothing to do with whether or not Xzax would body this region or not. I judge someone's suggestions not on their individual or reputation (though it can certainly help sometimes) but on what they have to say and how they say it to me.

Also M@V you hardly play Midwest. You play NEOH. NEOH is not the only part of the Midwest. The one time in recent memory you've gotten exposure to non-NEOH was at RAGE.

M@v

Subarashii!
^I'd be more inclined to make this trip (Assuming i'm not working already) if the MK legal event was open to everyone. That's also likely due to the fact my 2 other characters besides mk do worse in mk ban environments.Cincci is still a 4-5ish hour drive for me.

clowsui

Smash Legend
GIVE ME A LIST

HOW HARD IS THIS TO UNDERSTAND

If you think a bunch of people will want to come to this tournament but won't due to MK ban

then GIVE ME A LIST/# OF CARPOOLS

you have to understand. I am a TO. I will continue to be a TO for a while. I have already hosted several MK legal tournaments (a few locals + REVENGE). I have nothing but upward aspirations. For me to improve as a TO and also to increase my reputation, I need MORE people. I don't think I've been unreasonable at any point. In fact I've changed my feelings/decisions about important issues SEVERAL times. Anyone can attest to this.

Right now I'm getting really frustrated because "staying" with MK ban is incredibly hard for me as a TO. I simply have no idea how many people I gain or lose by legalizing MK. If I could even get a picture or a view of one of those then it would be so much easier to make a decision. But instead all anybody wants to do in this thread is talk about "scrubs" and "you guys are bad" and a bunch of other irrelevant bull**** that I've made VERY CLEAR is irrelevant SEVERAL TIMES.

So before another lick of this skill bull**** continues, tell everyone you know/everyone you think would be interested in this tournament if MK was legal to post in this thread or to tell you and submit your list to me and the staff will make their decision.

Thanks.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
dude. u have ally, zinoto, lain, kain, shugo in ur region. its ur problem if u dont take the time to improve like we do.

and this is kingtoon also
In my region? They're like four and a half hours away. When I started they were five and a half hours away, I had to drive an hour just to pick up other people to carpool and they were the people I played with.

We drove four and a half hours every weekend.

Overswarm, your arguement is irrelevant and stupid. Money match me in brawl for 100 dollars or shut the **** up. Kel money match me for 20. Anyone else who has a problem can money match me too. I don't think the Midwest is terrible. I tried to help you guys as a region and not ban meta knight but everyone wants to be a ***** about it so ill come to this tournament and dominate it even tho I'm an unranked NJ/NY player. Yes, my region is that much better then yours.

oooooooohhhhhhh

Hey look, I brought a map showing likelihood of where a top player in Smash can be located at any given time.

But really though, I don't play. So you money matching me would prove nothing.

Although, how about this

we'll money match

for $10

but I get to pick every rule and setting and variable.

:B

Overswarm

is laughing at you
you have to understand. I am a TO. I will continue to be a TO for a while. I have already hosted several MK legal tournaments (a few locals + REVENGE). I have nothing but upward aspirations. For me to improve as a TO and also to increase my reputation, I need MORE people. I don't think I've been unreasonable at any point. In fact I've changed my feelings/decisions about important issues SEVERAL times. Anyone can attest to this.
This is true, for good and bad

Right now I'm getting really frustrated because "staying" with MK ban is incredibly hard for me as a TO. I simply have no idea how many people I gain or lose by legalizing MK. If I could even get a picture or a view of one of those then it would be so much easier to make a decision. But instead all anybody wants to do in this thread is talk about "scrubs" and "you guys are bad" and a bunch of other irrelevant bull**** that I've made VERY CLEAR is irrelevant SEVERAL TIMES.
Send me a PM with links to all your tournaments separated into MK legal and MK banned in a recent timeframe and I can give you a rough estimate.

clowsui

Smash Legend
all of the tournaments I've hosted individually? or do you mean the ones that have recently been MK banned or legal

because if it's tournies i've hosted individually there's not going to be much as of late

also to be fair to xzax PA has to drive that distance to NY/NJ tournies all the time and MD/VA has to drive that distance to any EC tourney + a little more each and every time. that doesn't mean that PA + MD/VA players are consistently of the same caliber, however; the gap between NY/NJ vs PA + MD/VA level of skill is pretty deep. the most consistent players at regionals/nationals are the ones who live in population dense areas or are the ones who were dominant at the beginning of the game when the game was popular (i.e. those texans). the only exception i know to this rule is florida but only one region of FLorida is really dominant.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
all of the tournaments I've hosted individually? or do you mean the ones that have recently been MK banned or legal

because if it's tournies i've hosted individually there's not going to be much as of late

also to be fair to xzax PA has to drive that distance to NY/NJ tournies all the time and MD/VA has to drive that distance to any EC tourney + a little more each and every time. that doesn't mean that PA + MD/VA players are consistently of the same caliber, however; the gap between NY/NJ vs PA + MD/VA level of skill is pretty deep. the most consistent players at regionals/nationals are the ones who live in population dense areas or are the ones who were dominant at the beginning of the game when the game was popular (i.e. those texans). the only exception i know to this rule is florida but only one region of FLorida is really dominant.
Whatever tournaments you think hold a relevant playerbase in comparison to today.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I don't think I'd come to this or Atlantic south, I personally don't care about the ruleset I just like seeing everyone and getting to play everyone, but the other Atlantic south players that usually come probably wouldn't if it's just MK legal

clowsui

Smash Legend
I don't think I'd come to this or Atlantic south, I personally don't care about the ruleset I just like seeing everyone and getting to play everyone, but the other Atlantic south players that usually come probably wouldn't if it's just MK legal

More posts in this vein please

SoulPech

Smash Master
Another MK banned/not banned debate derailing a tourney thread. I am going regardless banned or not. Also bringing columbus to this as well.

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
Another MK banned/not banned debate derailing a tourney thread. I am going regardless banned or not. Also bringing columbus to this as well.
Agreed. No matter what happens to :metaknight:, I'm gonna show up to this anyway. That's as clear as I can make this.

Roller

Smash Legend
It's not derailing it. Chi is still thinking about the format for the tournament, and is specifically asking for people to let him know which side of the fence they are on and if it will affect their attendance.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I will put it this way, I'm not losing sleep over not being eligible for the invitational bracket. Would probably focus on the MWW circuit in the event things change for the open bracket, making my attendance doubtful

clowsui

Smash Legend
so much arguing that Chi gave up, lol. Chi, you have good judgement on this things so do what you need to do.
nothing's changed

the second one is an elucidation of the first

i'm tired of "skill"/"not broken"/etc arguments. all i'm looking for is attendance

Overswarm

is laughing at you
It'd be interesting if someone made a plot map of top smasher's addresses and gave each area a skill ratio based off of how many top players lived there.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
xzax

serious question

do you rate your self worth based off of how good you are at Brawl or how much you improved

because it is obviously related but only one is healthy

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
xzax

serious question

do you rate your self worth based off of how good you are at Brawl or how much you improved

because it is obviously related but only one is healthy
My response is shut the **** up. I'm good at brawl because I'm constantly improving. Your argument makes no sense at all, just crawl back into your hole of nothingness

Overswarm

is laughing at you
My response is shut the **** up. I'm good at brawl because I'm constantly improving. Your argument makes no sense at all, just crawl back into your hole of nothingness

What hole of nothingness? My life is amazing. **** just falls into my lap.

Also you didn't answer my question. You just seem to have some self-worth issues and I thought it might be the cause of some of your angst. You seem sad on the inside.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
No im not sad or anythint. All I did was posted my thoughts about the mk ban in this thread, trying to give my thoughts and instead I had to argue with a bunch of ****ing idiots. **** this tournament I'm no longer coming.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
So I guess he forfeits the money match.

OS - 1
Xzax - 0

Also clowsui if I come to this I may be able to bring several TVs, but no Wiis. Do you have additional Wiis or know people that have them? I'd have I think 3 or 4 CRTs.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
No it's just I don't feel like wasting my breath anymore, you only believe your terrible biased thoughts and I deff do not feel like dealing with you or other idiots in person. And if I don't come zero doesnt either.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You've never even met me. I'm quite pleasant. You're being awfully aggressive.

Top Bottom