• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Apr 26, 2014] [MLG ANAHEIM QUALIFIER] Fighters’ Edge Spring Champs ft. Melee... (Du Quoin, IL)

SolarSkurge

Smash Journeyman

Introducing the first Fighter’s Edge Championship. As a new company in the Fighting Game Community it is our
primary goal to produce events that the FGC are proud of. We are starting small and hope that with the rst few
events we can gain the respect and trust of the community.

This event will take place at our studio location in DuQuoin, IL. and will only be able to hold
a maximum of 64 players. The full tournament details are as follows:

MELEE RULES

STAGE LIST

STARTERS/NEUTRALS: COUNTERPICK:

Yoshi’s Story Pokemon Stadium
Fountain of Dreams
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dream Land

GENERAL RULES
- Items are set to off
- Stock and time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes, respectively
- Wobbling is legal. Wobbling past 250% will be considered stalling and is not allowed.
- Double Blind: If elected
- Contest Port Priority: If elected
- Neutral Start: If elected
- DSR: You cannot counter pick to any stage you have won on ever.
- Gentleman’s Clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it.
This rule takes priority over DSR. Players may NOT agree to change the number of matches to be played.
- Forced Character Selection: Off
- Matches that time out will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current
stock. In the event of a percentage tie, the match should be replayed in full. Sudden Death is not to be
played, and will not count. A player/team may not counterpick to the stage they last won on. This includes
the first match won via stage striking.
- Pausing the game shall only be legal while either player remains upon their OWN respawn platform,
and only for the purpose of summoning a tournament official or in the case of a controller malfunction.
All other pauses will incur a stock loss to the player who pauses the game.
- Any coaching that happens during the match (but not in between matches) is restricted. Players who
violate this rule will receive a warning (BOTH the player AND the person coaching the player) on the
first attempt. Players who violate this rule after a warning will be disqualified from the event and a
possible ejection from the venue.
- Players are to attend their matches at the designated times they are called. If you are late to a match,
the following rules will be applied based on the amount of time:
- If you are 5 minutes late: Results in a match loss
- If you are 10 minutes late: Results in a set loss
- These times will be strictly enforced to make sure that each player will enjoy the full event on a timely manner.
- All matches will be best of 3, sans semi-finals and finals, which will be best of 5.

PROJECT M RULES:

STAGELIST:

For the 1st match, stage strike the starter list in 1-2-2-1 fashion. After each match, the winner of the previous
match bans 3 stages (Players may counterpick a stage that they previously banned in the set, but may not
counterpick a stage on which they won). The player who lost the previous match chooses a stage, then
the player who won chooses their character, then the player who lost chooses their character.

STARTERS: COUNTERPICKS:

Battlefield Battlefield Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)
Final Destination Final Destination Pokemon Stadium 1
Smashville Smashville Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2 Pokemon Stadium 2 Wario Ware
Dreamland (64) Dreamland (64) Green Hill Zone
Fountain of Dreams Fountain of Dreams Skyloft
Yoshi’s Story (Melee) Yoshi’s Story (Melee) Skyworld

GENERAL RULES

- 4 stock, 8 minutes.
- Sets are best of 3. Finals are best of 5.
- Items set to “off” and “none.”
- Either player may call for a Double Blind character selection for the first match.
- Dave’s Stupid Rule: A player may not counterpick any stage he won on in a set.
- Controller port is determined by Rock Paper Scissors if it can’t be agreed upon. For doubles, the
controller ports must be 1-2-2-1.
- For doubles, Team Attack is on and life stealing is allowed. Remember that Attack+Special, not
the Pause button, is used to steal lives.
- Pausing during a match, unless okayed by the other player, will result in the loss of one stock
for the pauser.
- Quitting out of a match before it is over will result in a loss for the quitter.
- If time runs out, the person with the most stock left (or least % if they are equal) wins. If the %
is equal as well, play a 1 stock 3 minute match, same characters and stage.
- If the match goes to sudden death due to a suicide move (Ganon’s side-B, Kirby/DDD’s swallow,
holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the one who initiated
the move wins.
- Buffer set to off.
- Custom controls are allowed, but controllers modified to enhance performance are not. No turbo buttons, etc.
However, removing the springs from shoulder buttons or replacing a thumbstick with a different thumbstick
are ok.
- Custom music is allowed as long as it’s not too distracting, but any textures or vertex hacks outside of the
official team color textures are not.
- If you want to use your own SD card, a TO must overwrite the important game files (not music) in order to
make sure there are no modifications. If you are caught cheating with modified game files, you will be
immediately DQed without refund and banned from future events.
- In the event that the game crashes or the TV/Wii loses power in the middle of a match, that match will be
restarted from the beginning with the same characters and stage. If a player uses a known glitch to intentionally
crash the game or otherwise make it unfinishable, that player may be forced to forfeit the match or be
DQed at the TO’s discretion.
- No excessive stalling (this includes abusing Jiggs’ Rising Pound and Mario’s Up-B Walljump)
- Both players may agree to any rule or stage outside the tournament ruleset.
- Giga Bowser is banned.

Prize Pools:

Project M
Total $500
1st $300
2nd $150
3rd $50

Melee
Total $1000
1st $600
2nd $300
3rd $100

Prize money is guaranteed and will be paid out on the day of the tournament.
Winners will need to fill out a W9 form.

Event Date: April 26 - 27, 2014

Player Pass: $35
Player Day Pass: $20
Spectator Pass: $10

The event will be held at UGC Studios in Du Quoin, IL.

Venue Opens at 11am (CT) each day
Tournament Starts at 1PM (CT) each day

There are 2 hotels in Du Quoin, both of which are reasonably priced.

Fairgrounds Inn
Rooms from ($70)
1520 S Washington St
Du Quoin, IL 62832

Super 8 DuQuoin
Rooms from ($60)
1010 S Jefferson Ave
Du Quoin, IL 62832

Pre-registration is available here, just go to 'event passes.'

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask!

Last edited:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
i like how the full pot size is basically 1/4th the population of the entire city

on another note, this should be listed espc for chicago players, there is an amtrek station from urbana that goes there.

Last edited:

metroid1117

Smash Master
On this page, it says that the tournament will be on the 26th, but the website says that it will be from the 26th-27th; the schedule isn't up yet, so will PM and Melee be on just Saturday the 26th or will the top 8 matches be saved for the 27th?

Also, just FYI, I couldn't find the address for the venue on the website. Is it on there somewhere, or was I missing something?

Last edited:

UGCevents

Smash Rookie
On this page, it says that the tournament will be on the 26th, but the website says that it will be from the 26th-27th; the schedule isn't up yet, so will PM and Melee be on just Saturday the 26th or will the top 8 matches be saved for the 27th?

Also, just FYI, I couldn't find the address for the venue on the website. Is it on there somewhere, or was I missing something?
Until we know how big the event will be we haven't go a full schedule. We are hoping to do Melee on Saturday then Project M on the Sunday, However if we get more players Melee might have to go over into Sunday. Full schedule will be posted soon. Follow us on twitter for more updates: @ UGCevents

The address has now been added to the page.

Thanks,

The UGC Team

Last edited:

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Until we know how big the event will be we haven't go a full schedule. We are hoping to do Melee on Saturday then Project M on the Sunday, However if we get more players Melee might have to go over into Sunday. Full schedule will be posted soon. Follow us on twitter for more updates: @ UGCevents

The address has now been added to the page.

Thanks,

The UGC Team
People plan their attendance around whether it's Saturday only or Saturday+Sunday. It's poor practice not to establish this up front as an organizer.

UGCevents

Smash Rookie
People plan their attendance around whether it's Saturday only or Saturday+Sunday. It's poor practice not to establish this up front as an organizer.
It is most likely going to be the Saturday. However we need to see how ticket sales go to know if it will be spread over two days. We will ensure to be posting final schedule well in advance of the tournament.

metroid1117

Smash Master
It is most likely going to be the Saturday. However we need to see how ticket sales go to know if it will be spread over two days. We will ensure to be posting final schedule well in advance of the tournament.
Do you have any idea what time of day that PM will be held on? I have obligations on the 26th, but I may be able to attend this tournament depending on what time it's held.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
Whoa, this comes right after NorCal Regionals too!
That's 4 straight weeks of major tournaments.

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
Yes, housing will be available in at least 3 locations so far.

Rob_Gambino
Zozefup
knox
bryu_1337

Send a message to anyone of these guys if you're in need. Tristan, can you put this in the OP?

Last edited:

metroid1117

Smash Master
Man why is it 2 days? Only reason I can't go.
I'd just like to chip in and say that even though I've already committed to the event, I'm banking on it not running past Saturday. I realize that the duration of the event hinges on the number of entrants, but considering that there are 44 passes remaining as of this post, how likely is it that this tournament will only last for a day?

smashmachine

Smash Lord
I'd just like to chip in and say that even though I've already committed to the event, I'm banking on it not running past Saturday. I realize that the duration of the event hinges on the number of entrants, but considering that there are 44 passes remaining as of this post, how likely is it that this tournament will only last for a day?
3 weeks to go and 20 entrants?
that's not bad, but then again even if it caps, that's only 64 players maximum so it shouldn't take long to finish

metroid1117

Smash Master
3 weeks to go and 20 entrants?
that's not bad, but then again even if it caps, that's only 64 players maximum so it shouldn't take long to finish
That's what I thought as well, but UGC made the following post earlier about how it may go onto 2 days if there are a lot of entrants (which I'm assuming means > 50 people):

Speaking of the tournament taking long, is there a need for players to bring setups?

Last edited:

SolarSkurge

Smash Journeyman
That's what I thought as well, but UGC made the following post earlier about how it may go onto 2 days if there are a lot of entrants (which I'm assuming means > 50 people):

Speaking of the tournament taking long, is there a need for players to bring setups?
If you could, yes. We'll have quite a few CRTs but it's better to be safe than sorry.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Does an event pass enter you for both Melee and PM?
Wondering this too.

Looking for housing/ information to make it here from Tristate area. Flight info and bus info would be awesome. How can I bus here? From Columbus? Chicago? Somewhere that's close to this that I can bus to? Carpools?

SolarSkurge

Smash Journeyman
Wondering this too.

Looking for housing/ information to make it here from Tristate area. Flight info and bus info would be awesome. How can I bus here? From Columbus? Chicago? Somewhere that's close to this that I can bus to? Carpools?
There's a train that runs from Chicago to about a block away from the venue. Takes about an hour to get there. Also we can run a doubles tourney there.

Last edited:

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
I hope you get to come, I'm a fan of the Smash tutorials that you've been putting out and it'd be awesome get in some friendlies with you :).
I'm definitely coming. Also, thank you very much for the support. Will keep doing them, and absolutely! We will.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Now that there's only ~2 weeks until the event, would it be possible to get confirmation that this will only be 1 day long versus 2 days long?

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
"Its Saturday and sunday and a pass enters you in both events. Thanks!"

UGC Matt

Asked in a facebook message.

Last edited:

metroid1117

Smash Master
"Its Saturday and sunday and a pass enters you in both events. Thanks!"

UGC Matt

Asked in a facebook message.
That's kind of unfortunate, to be honest. If it's spanning two days, then can we get a schedule so that we know what's going on?

Also, the website says that there's a link to the bracket. Will the bracket be posted in advance, before the tournament, or is that something for people to reference when looking back on the event? If the bracket will be posted in advance, then when is the deadline for signups?

Last edited:

d z

Smash Cadet
Just bought my pass, making this my first tourney! Look forward to meeting you all =)

Top Bottom