• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Apr 25, 2015] TSuyondere's Torment Tournament Trial THREE (WiiU + PM) (Columbus, Ohio)

Suyon

Smash Lord
About

Hello, my name is Suyon and this will be my second time hosting a tournament now. I have ran and helped other tournaments here in Columbus, especially with E-Sports Initiative. I mostly enter tournaments as a player but am now deciding to TO to help improve the Columbus scene for Smash 4. I hope that other regions outside of Columbus, Ohio will also come participate in my event. Columbus also hosts PM tournaments and Melee tournaments by AlfaStryke. I may host PM tournaments in the future, but since this will be my first tournament I will start things slow and see what happens. I hope you guys will come hang out with old and new friends and have a good time!

Facebook Event Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1436159363343799/

Schedule (Tentative)
11:00 Doors Open
11:30 Registration Opens
12:00 Smash Wii U Doubles Registration Closes
12:15 Smash Wii U Doubles Doubles Begins
13:00 Project M Singles Registration closes
14:00 Project M Singles Begins
14:30 Smash Wii U Singles Registration Closes
15:00 Smash Wii U Singles Pools Begins
18:00 Smash Wii U Singles Bracket Begins
19:30 Smash Wii U 4v4 or 3v3 or CTF Closes
20:00 Smash Wii U 4v4 or 3v3 or CTF Begins
23:00 Begin Cleaning
00:00 Venue Closes

Venue

The Ohio State University at the Ohio Union:
Suzanne M. Scharer Room, Rosa M. Ailabouni Room, and Round Meeting Room (3rd Floor)
1739 North High Street Columbus, Ohio 43210

Scharer

Ailabouni

Food

Food is available in the OSU Student Union and in the surrounding area. The Student Union features the following eating choices

Just outside the Union within 5 minutes walking distance is Chipotle, Jimmy Johns, Subway, Mark Pi's, Waffle House, Panera, Five Guys, Canes, McDonald's, Panda Express, Buckeye Donuts, Moe's, Joy's Village, Noodles and Company, Bdubs, several pizza places, etc.

Parking

There are parking garages next to the Union.

Fees

Venue: $5
Smash Wii U Singles: $10
Smash Wii U Doubles: $20 ($10 per person)
Smash Wii U 4v4/3v3/CTF: $4 ($1 per person)
Project M: $5

Venue will be waived if you bring a setup that is USED under the following: a TV(preferably HD) and/or Wii U system with a Wii U GameCube adapter that has the copy of the game Super Smash Bros. for Wii U with all the stages and character unlocked.

$5 waived for full setup
$3 waived for TV
$2 waived for Wii U with adapter/Project M

I may have 8 monitors for this tournament from E-Sports Initiative. So first come first serve.

Payouts

100% of the entrance fee for their respective events will be used as payouts

< 16

1st place - 70%
2nd place - 30%

>16

1st place - 60%
2nd place - 30%
3rd place - 10%

>24

1st place - 60%
2nd place - 30%
3rd place - 10%

4th place - Half of entrance fee back

> 32

1st place - 55%
2nd place - 30%
3rd place - 10%
4th place - 5%

>48

1st place - 55%
2nd place - 30%
3rd place - 10%
4th place - 5%

5th place - Half of entrance fee back

5th place - Half of entrance fee back

> 64

1st place - 44%
2nd place - 28%
3rd place - 14%
4th place - 8%
5th place - 4%
5th place - 4%

These payouts are to encourage players to strive and improve themselves. The goal is to make the community strong.

Smash Wii U Rules

-All matches are a best of 3 games. Winners Finals, Losers Finals, and Grand Finals are best of 5 games. Semi-Finals may be a best of 5 depending on attendance.

-Players who fail to report to their match within 10 minutes of it being announced will lose their first game of the match. After 15 minutes without reporting to their match, players will be disqualified from the tournament.

- Coaching is allowed only between games, not during. Max time limit is 2 minutes.

- Bracket matches take priority over friendlies and money matches. The TO reserves the right to prematurely end any match.

- BYOC

- Non-first party controllers must be inspected by TO staff before use in tourney.

- Pause can be requested off and that request cannot be denied. If one pauses mid-match, the person who initiated the pause loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock (such as interfering with recovery), the person who initiated the pause loses two stocks. If there is any doubt in the ruling of a pausing incident, stop what you are doing and CALL ONE OF THE TOs TO YOUR MATCH.

- The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.

- Any hacks or mods applied to a setup may be inspected by a TO, who reserves the right to have those hacks disabled if they are deemed inappropriate for tournament play.

The act of stalling is banned -- Stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinite’s, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

-Any Glitch that freezes the game is banned.

- Amiibos banned in regular 1v1, 2v2, 4v4, etc.

- If custom moves are legal then you must have your custom move sets set before beginning game 1. You cannot create a custom moves set during your tournament set match. When switching characters and/or custom move sets, your opponent has the right to know which moves you have switched to.
-Olimar/Alph's custom down b 2 move, Order Tackle, is banned in doubles, 3v3, 4v4, CTF

-Team Color Rules - The opposing team has the right to ask for a change when character color palette and team color are too different. For example, Team A (RED) Red Mario and Red Luigi. TEAM B (BLUE) Red Mega Man and Green Peach.

-If you plan on leaving temporarily to go out somewhere for a while please let the TO know.

-If your match is called and you have not played within the next 10 minutes, you will receive a warning. If you arrive 5 minutes after you will lose 1 stock. If you are 18 minutes late total you will forfeit your first game. If you are late for a total of 25 minutes. You will lose the set.

Pools for Singles - There will be Singles pools to help determine your seeding placement in bracket. There will be a pool cut off if there are more than 32 people who registered. The moment you finish your pool matches your placement for bracket will already be determined. The goal is to not have bracket manipulation but I may move some players around in accordance with their seeds to avoid same region matching. Once again, whatever placement you get in your pool already determines your placement in bracket with few exceptions.

*Bracket: Double Elimination
* 3 stock, 8:00 minute timer.
* Team attack is ON
* Items OFF.
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* If Time limit is up and Stocks and Percents are the same you will do a 1 stock 3 min game to determine the winner of that game

* Custom Moves are BANNED
* Custom Equipment is BANNED
* Mii Fighters are BANNED
* Modified DSR: You cannot counterpick any stage you won on in the set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
* Best out of 5 sets will only have one ban
* All finals sets are best out of 5
Stage Strike from Neutrals for the first match of the set in “1221″ fashion:
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes two stages.
3. First player strikes two stage.
4. Second player strikes one stage.
Stage Striking and Bans
Players select their characters. Either player may choose to Blind Pick. In this case, each player secretly tells a third player their character before picking with the third player verifying their selections.

1. Highest seed strikes first
  2. 1-2-2-1 then you start on remaining stage.
  3. A stage may be agreed upon by both parties.
  4. At the end of the each match
  5. the winner may ban 2 stages (If FD is banned Omega stages are ARE banned as well).
  6. Loser announces counterpick stage
  7. Winner may change character, then loser may change character
  8. Game 2 commences
  9. Repeat above steps at end of Game 2 if a Game 3 happens.
  10. Every set, including finals, will only have 2 bans per player/team.
  11. Dave’s Stupid Rule, DSR, is on.
  12. You cannot counterpick any stage you have won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
Stage list:

Starters:

-Battlefield
-Town and City
-Smashville
-Lylat Cruise
-Final Destination (Including all Omega)
-Duck Hunt
-Castle Siege

Counterpicks:

-Delfino Plaza
-Halberd
-Skyloft
-Kongo Jungle (Doubles Only)

Rules with Amiibos

You may ONLY enter one Amiibo per event. For example 1v1, you cannot add both your Marth and Mario. Only one.

Same general Smash Wii U rules will apply to Amiibo 1v1 and Parent and Child

Your Amiibo must not have custom equipments whatsoever INCLUDING feeding equipments to them! Must be a clean starving Amiibo.

Seeding will be random

Amiibo 1v1

Differences

Custom moves ARE ALLOWED

Custom equipments ARE BANNED (INCLUDING FEEDING!!)

Must have custom moves set before the set. You cannot add during the set.

Single Elimination

2 Stocks and 6 Minutes

If game goes to Time then whoever has the highest stock and lowest percentage wins.

If game goes to Time with same stock and percentage. You will play the Sudden Death.

All matches are Bo3 including Finals

1 Minute max to determine your counterpick / ban

Top 3 payout

Parent and Child

Same rules according to Smash Wii U Doubles

Differences

Custom moves ARE ALLOWED

Custom equipment ARE BANNED

Double Elimination

3 Stocks and 7 Minutes

If game goes to Time then whoever has the highest stock and lowest percentage wins.

If game goes to Time with same stock and percentage. You will play the Sudden Death. (Overcome the Trials!)

All matches are Bo3 including Finals

1 Minute max to determine your counterpick / ban

4v4 and Capture the Flag Rules

Same general Smash Wii U rules will apply to 4v4 and Capture the Flag

4v4

Double Elimination
Seeding based off of team skill
Same rules according to Smash Wii U Singles/Doubles
Item is OFF
2 Stocks 6 Minutes
If Time limit is up and Stocks and Percents are the same you will do a 1 stock (same amount of people who were timed) 2 min game to determine the winner of that game
Custom Equipment is BANNED
Custom Moves are Allowed

Payout is top 3

Starters
Big Battlefield
Pyrosphere
Town and City
Omega
Duck Hunt
Windy Hill Zone
Smashville
Counterpicks 2 Bans
Battlefield
Luigi's Mansion
Kongo Jungle 64
Norfair
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2
Castle Siege

Capture the Flag

You will be teamed with random people from the beginning.
Seeding will be random
Double Elmination if there is time
Same rules will be applied with the 4v4 rules.
Item is set to LOW
Item - "Special Flag" (Last item) Is only allowed.
3 Stocks 5 minutes
The team with the most stocks win.
If it goes to time with same stocks then you will play out the Sudden Death (Overcome the Trials!)
Custom Equipment are BANNED
Custom Moves are Allowed
Villager is BANNED
Payout is top 3
All stages will be Random. The losing team will have the choice to pick Random or pick Omega Random.

Stages:

Battlefield
Big Battlefield
Mario Galaxy
Mario Circuit (Brawl)
Luigi's Mansion
Kongo Jungle 64
Norfair
Pyrosphere
Temple
Bridge of Eden
Yoshi's Island
Great Cave Offensive
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2
Onett
Castle Siege
Town and City
Smashville
Paluten'as Temple
Wii Fit Studio
Guar Plain
Duck Hunt
75m
Windy Hill Zone
Skyworld (3v3)
Flat Zone X (3v3)
PAC-LAND (3v3)
Counterpick: Omega

Project M Rules

4 Stock, 8:00 Minute Timer
All Items Set to OFF, Item Frequency set to NONE
Input Assist set to OFF
Ties after time limit is reached are determined by stocks, then percentage
You cannot counter-pick any stage you have won on unless it's agreed upon by the opponent.
The TO Staff reserves the right to change rule sets prior to the event.

Stage Striking
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes two stages.
3. First player strikes one stage.

Starter
Battlefield
Dreamland
Green Hill Zone
Pokémon Stadium 2
Smashville

Counterpick
Final Destination
Warioware
Yoshi's Island Brawl
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams

After each match:
1. Winner announces two (2) stage bans
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character

General Rules
Respect the Venue
Respect the TOs
Monokuma's Rules are Absolute and Final.
I will not be taking registration once deadlines are past 15 minutes.
If you are arriving late after Registration deadline and want to register PLEASE message me via Facebook, Facebook Event Page, texting, and on this Thread BEFORE Registration deadline.
No alcohol beverages may be allowed in the rooms at all times
Respect other people's belongings
TOs will not be held liable for any of your belongings being damage or stolen.
Have a good time!

PRE-REGISTRATION

http://goo.gl/forms/MI2CitA10j
It is not mandatory to to Pre-register but it will make my life as a TO a lot smoother. Not only will it make mine smoother it but it will also make the contenders' tournament experience smoother even just a little. This will help me know who is coming, who is bringing setups, where you guys are coming from. For Bracket event this will also help me assign which player to which pools better to avoid region/friends playing with each other. SO PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Pre-register. It does not take more than 5 minutes to fill out the form.

If 65 people have pre-registered then I will make a cap and only pre-registered people may enter the event. Those who register after 90 will be on the wait list.

Notices:

190 people in the two rooms combined is the limit. Fire Hazard reason
If there are not many entrants then I may be interested in doing a Pools tournament format.
If you have a custom moves for your character and have the 3DS version. PLEASE have it ready for transfer.
For the people that need a specific custom move set(s) please tell me what they are for your character ASAP.
I have all custom moves unlocked on my Wii U.
People that want to play PM and Melee are welcomed to after things start slowing down.

DATE FOR NEXT TOURNAMENT IS TBD

Last edited:

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Might make it out. 4v4 looks hella appealing, especially if I can get 3 of my roommates in on it.

Will also take MM's at this so hit me up.

Last edited:

Suyon

Smash Lord
So, I'm really not sure for 4v4 right now. I kind of don't want it to be like doubles, if that makes sense. I could make it an all Falcon 4v4. Draft Crews would make 4v4s interesting. Now, if there are 4 strong players outside of Ohio/Columbus in their respective region then we could do region 4v4s. Like NEOH, Columbus, Dayton, KY, and Cinci if stuff like that happen.
If I do 4v4 I'm not sure I would do capture the flag then since these would actually be two separate events. For capture the flag 3v3 is the minimum requirement for the event to work.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Chararacter-locked 4v4 is a lot less interesting to me than almost anything else possible with 4v4 and I don't even know how Capture the Flag works lol.

Suyon

Smash Lord
So set items on low and only have the Flag item on only. 3v3 or 4v4 with 3 stocks, timer set to 4, and team attack on. Whoever has the most stock in the end wins. The timer or stock amount may change depending on time. Not sure yet with the stages since I haven't seen the new 8 player stages yet. Villager and Wario may be ban worthy in my opinion.

Mattatari

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
MATT#715
NNID
TheSaiyanKid
3DS FC
0817-5200-0570
Hype! Let's go! I seriously can't wait for this!

Suyon

Smash Lord
I'll ask around if people can provide housing. About how many people?

Also may be adding more events such as 2v2: Human and Amiibo vs. Human and Amiibo. Also Amiibo tournament as well. I'll probably remove Mystery event. Also thinking of allowing custom moves for Capture the Flag if that happens.

M@v

Subarashii!
Push comes to shove I have family near Columbus; so if I can come and there's no housing I can probably stay there. It wouldn't be more than 4 (including me) because thats what my car fits lol.

Suyon

Smash Lord
I'm thinking about. But I'm also thinking of different rules in general. Such as
2 stocks 6 minutes with customs
3 stock 8 minutes with customs
3 stocks 6 minutes with or no customs

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm thinking about. But I'm also thinking of different rules in general. Such as
2 stocks 6 minutes with customs
3 stock 8 minutes with customs
3 stocks 6 minutes with or no customs
Finding the optimal ruleset can be difficult. What you'd really want is 99 stock no time limit round robin but we obviously don't have time for that. The goal is to be as close to that as possible. Kentucky has had no issue with 3 stock and 8 minutes, and more stocks is always better, so that's what I'd push for.

I can help with the loading of customs and bring a setup or two depending on who is in my car.

(edit: We've also had Mii Fighters been using their default height/size using the three default Miis due to some people not liking the idea of variable size Miis)

Last edited:

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
Finding the optimal ruleset can be difficult. What you'd really want is 99 stock no time limit round robin but we obviously don't have time for that. The goal is to be as close to that as possible. Kentucky has had no issue with 3 stock and 8 minutes, and more stocks is always better, so that's what I'd push for.

I can help with the loading of customs and bring a setup or two depending on who is in my car.

(edit: We've also had Mii Fighters been using their default height/size using the three default Miis due to some people not liking the idea of variable size Miis)
I definitely like the idea of Mii Fighters using their default height and size. They can obviously use all their customs moves, outfits, and any of the three fighter types though.

Also would definitely do 3 stock 8 minutes. Since this is an exclusive Smash 4 tournament there should definitely be enough time. Also use customs, majority want them, and they are good for the game.

Last edited:

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
I'm a little iffy on the idea of customs...the main reason being it might be hard to have every single set-up have every single custom move for every character, as well as all the Mii costumes (although that's less important). Also it could be a monkey wrench to some players who are not used to fighting characters with custom movesets, but they could just learn to adapt and whatnot.

Maybe you could do something along the ideas of players can use customs, but only if both players agree that customs are allowed in their set, but I don't know how that would work out...

Overswarm

is laughing at you
We just upload the custom sets via 3DS. Only a select few are viable, and we can fit every individual player's personal preferences. We use the custom moveset project along with a list of people's personal preferences for our region. If someone comes from OoR, they just post what their customs are and we load them in advance.

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
We just upload the custom sets via 3DS. Only a select few are viable, and we can fit every individual player's personal preferences. We use the custom moveset project along with a list of people's personal preferences for our region. If someone comes from OoR, they just post what their customs are and we load them in advance.
Oh, ok. That makes more sense. Thanks

So, is there a list of what customs are allowed, then?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Currently no customs are banned anywhere, although a unique doubles combination (Fox amplifying reflector + pikmin tackle + standard recall pikmin) is likely to be banned at any event for doubles as a glitch causes the amplified reflector property to stay on the pikmin, making them do ridiculous damage/knockback (like 500% damage >_>).

Suyon

Smash Lord
I added Pre-registration, change schedule, added 4v4 rules, Capture the Flag rules, and Amiibo rules.
I will not be adding customs this time except for the side events.
I personally am not fond of customs, but I will not look away from it. There is a good chance that I will add custom moves in my next event. So please look forward to the next event OverSwarm, assuming all goes well here.

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
Not gonna lie, these side events sound really fun and I'm tempted on entering everything.

Suyon

Smash Lord
Due to personal reasons and the voice of Columbus Community, I have decided to cancel my event. Someone may pick this room up and I do not care what you guys do with it. You can make this a Melee or PM tournament too. If there are concerns or if people want me to host this then message me. I really don't need to deal with all this stress.

SoulPech

Smash Master
Suyon,

Mark made a poll in the Group asking about you running this event. It's essentially a unaminous decision wanting you to come back or wanting you to run this event, but not enter. I have no idea where you got this "voice of the Columbus Community" statement from.

Admins, other TOs are currently in the process of trying to take this over. Please do not lock this thread.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Suyon

Smash Lord
I literally only have yes for running it completely. I have i dunno how many for hosting but don't enter. That already defeats the purpose and my goals for hosting. I have someone else should host and look. People were hopping all over me like rabbits. The rest was Baby baby baby come back and you can blame ME. That's cool, that's seriously cool. I appreciate this but that means nothing to me. Sure I'll come back, but what then? I am acting like a spoiled brat attention ***** now, but I know that. I only wanted answers and that's what I got. I am most certainly taking this too seriously as well, and that's just unfortunate since that's who I am. I can't deal with this stress. I haven't been able to sleep or eat for the past 16 hours. I skipped two important classes now. My mind is in turmoil now.
This event s cancelled.

Suyon

Smash Lord
Talked with close friends for hours and I'll be hosting.

Everything added back. Sorry for the drama. However, this is still a stress for me. But now I have more goals to go with this event. I literally do not care anymore if you have complaints of me quitting and such. If you don't want to come then don't. If I lose people because of this then that's the price I'm willing to pay. I'm running the event that's it.

Last edited:

BiG_GiNg

Smash Rookie
so is the event cancled or is it still on just curious cause i really was looking forward to attending it

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
Due to work, I'm not going to be able to enter this tournament actually. I'm gonna probably stop by after work though and check it out.

Suyon

Smash Lord
Does this also include JT as well?
If you have to work then that's fine. If you still want to enter the side events let me know though.

Top Bottom