• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Apr 19, 2014] No Johns Monthly! April 19th!! Project M ! (Nanuet, NY)

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
Slox lost to gmoney and unknown but he thinks that he would really place 3rd with abate, hax, hazz and dj still in the mix? If slox had lost to 1st and 2nd then I could see whining about not getting in the money. Like hell if unknown didn't make it into the money cause he lost to dj and hax early in the tourney then we might have a case. But come on, sloxes case is weak. Sure he could have done better but he still would have been just as poor in the end in most cases. He lost to 5th place n got 9th? What's he think? He should have got 7th instead? Come on.

And I just wanna state I think aiming for top 3 is fine. But other then that, any bracket **** didn't actually hurt your income.

NewJerusalem

Smash Apprentice
Stop making mountains outta molehills. You got a tough tourney bracket? Deal with it. If you're good you're going to win. If not then I'm sorry to hear that, practice.

Alukard

Smash Hero
Slox lost to gmoney and unknown but he thinks that he would really place 3rd with abate, hax, hazz and dj still in the mix? If slox had lost to 1st and 2nd then I could see whining about not getting in the money. Like hell if unknown didn't make it into the money cause he lost to dj and hax early in the tourney then we might have a case. But come on, sloxes case is weak. Sure he could have done better but he still would have been just as poor in the end in most cases. He lost to 5th place n got 9th? What's he think? He should have got 7th instead? Come on.

And I just wanna state I think aiming for top 3 is fine. But other then that, any bracket **** didn't actually hurt your income.
pretty much

btw i forgot to ask now that wobbling is legal at my events how did it go ? ... also nintendude how do you feel you will do ? i am really interested in your thoughts since i plan to make it legal at ROM5

S l o X

Smash Champion
sorto got a bye. who is sorto? why are we still talking about this? bad play in tournament but tournament is over people will learn on both sides.

wobbling legal will be fun to watch.

Alukard

Smash Hero
wobbling been legal for quite some time ... nothing has happened LOL ... wheres vanz vans van guagua (shoutouts to hbk for the reno tactic LOL)

Nintendude

Smash Hero
pretty much

btw i forgot to ask now that wobbling is legal at my events how did it go ? ... also nintendude how do you feel you will do ? i am really interested in your thoughts since i plan to make it legal at ROM5
Wobbling probably won't have any significant effect on my placing. It would make it a little easier for me to win some mid tier matchups where normal chaingrabs don't work, like Doc and Luigi, and also make comebacks more likely, but it's really not a huge boost or anything. In the end I still need to get grabs to have a shot against top players.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Whats this about a new venue. Where? Is that where Rom5 will be?

:phone:
He said it's up the street from Toy Wiz. So probably Nanuet, fair lawn, spring valley or something. And yeah it is where RoM 5 is going to be.

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
pretty much

I did generally the same I feel. Most of my tournament matches ended up either I could grab my opponent easy enough that wobbling wouldn't have made a difference or I couldn't grab them nearly enough for it to seem to matter. To be honest I am really rusty with it (rusty in general honestly), so in matches where I couldn't get grabs, if I got a luckyish grab I usually just went for guarenteed easy damage + tech chase. But if I practice up I can def see it helping me out. Gotta be in the mindset that I am sure my wobble will work as intended.

The only time it seemed to make a big difference was in some really awesome and close friendlys with D1. I would say wobbling was hands down the thing that won me a few of those matches. Also, I am glad he was a good sport about it. I know wobbling can be kinda lame.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Oh sorto is an ICs player? It's kind of funny.... I moved to MD/VA right when Chu retired so now I'm supposedly the "new Chu" of the region. And now right when I left tristate there's another ICs player to fill the void. The saying goes that a region can only have one ICs player. No more, no less. So true lol.

strawhats

Smash Master
damn...the drama in here. Shoutouts to everyone I played at this. D1 (thanks for the compliment and the games man), Sorto, Abate(ur luigi is too guds), captain smuckers (GGs wish we got to play a little more), Armageddon...and another ICs player I played but forgot his name (thanks alot man), G$ (gg ), My YL brudda from another mutha (keep that pimp and strong...WK trained you well).

The Moon/aka Ryan: keep that marth swag going (but switch to red/blue marth...not feeling the white marth man)
Mark aka NJ: good stuff I saw your matches against hax, you did pretty good man. Just gotta be a little more agressive on the edgeguards, good stuff placing so well for your first time entering singles.
Smokey: we'll play next time for sure...also u don't suck lol. You've actually improved quite alot.
Bred: damn samus...annoying to fight. GGs
Swift , Slox, Bolt (The homies): trewebb/tre's little brother :)
DJ: we gotta play again soon. Good stuff in bracket.
How the hell I forget to shoutout Aziz: Good stuff winning Hax
Unknown: it was nice to finally meet you man. :)
Thanks for hosting this, Alukard.

Alukard

Smash Hero
The new venue is literally down te block ... The adress is 347 instead of 259 lol ridiculously close.... Check the rom 5 thread for more updates !! :)

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Errbody knows that you get respect from having a better number next to your name, not from who you beat to get there.

:troll:

You gotta beat the best to be the best.

Getting a bad seed at a tournament shouldn't result in you being upset about not placing well. It should be motivation for you to hunt down the people you think you should have played, that you would have beaten, that you're salty about being placed higher than you, and having a seriously/mm/pride set to prove to yourself where you stand. The only thing stopping you from being satisfied with your gameplay is you.

Looking at people who got better placings than you because they had an easier bracket than you shouldn't be a source of anger. You should feel bad for them because they weren't met with real competition and have an inaccurate view of where they really stand. I sure as hell don't care if you beat 5 randoms to get deep into winners bracket. I care if you beat someone good. Until you take first, the important question is not "what did you place?". The important questions are "Who did you beat? Who did you lose to? How could you have done better?"

Just sayin'.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
so hyped for next no johns lets go im bringing recording and a set up. alu if u want regular melee bring the disk cuz u already no i only have hacked

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
I don't play melee seriously anymore and I've never been to a No Johns tournament before....
But I just read the past couple of pages here and I feel like I gotta say something.

If I go to a tournament, the only seeding I expect is to be seeded away from people I came to the tournament with. Like a friend of mine, or a family member. If I travel out of state, the only seeding I expect is to be seeded away from other NY people that I know personally or that I came to the event with.

Other than that, I don't see a reason for it. Give me M2K first round, I don't care. Give me Mango first round, I don't care. Give me any godlike player first round, I don't care. If I'm competing, I'm there to beat those people. I'm not looking for 2nd place. I'm not looking for 3rd or 4th or 5th place. If I'm all worried about playing someone just because they're good and I want to have a better number next to my name in the results, I'm playing for the wrong reasons.

That's my two cents.

NewJerusalem

Smash Apprentice
wait so..the venues being held here from now on? (this was the search address for 347 nanuet on google, and im just a bit confused as whether this would really be the kindve place for a smash tourney)

http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/42298352/nanuet_ny/casual_living_fine_furniture.html
I'm sure that the furniture place is gone. Not 100% though. I think that's the venue for the new toywiz

I don't play melee seriously anymore and I've never been to a No Johns tournament before....
But I just read the past couple of pages here and I feel like I gotta say something.

If I go to a tournament, the only seeding I expect is to be seeded away from people I came to the tournament with. Like a friend of mine, or a family member. If I travel out of state, the only seeding I expect is to be seeded away from other NY people that I know personally or that I came to the event with.

Other than that, I don't see a reason for it. Give me M2K first round, I don't care. Give me Mango first round, I don't care. Give me any godlike player first round, I don't care. If I'm competing, I'm there to beat those people. I'm not looking for 2nd place. I'm not looking for 3rd or 4th or 5th place. If I'm all worried about playing someone just because they're good and I want to have a better number next to my name in the results, I'm playing for the wrong reasons.

That's my two cents.
Give this man a medal.

Alukard

Smash Hero
wait so..the venues being held here from now on? (this was the search address for 347 nanuet on google, and im just a bit confused as whether this would really be the kindve place for a smash tourney)

http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/42298352/nanuet_ny/casual_living_fine_furniture.html
its a furniture place but toywiz is moving in there so alll that empty space is going to be awesome !!! =]

thanks for posting that cactuar

now im hyped for rom.
happy you see it my way man... i better see you win you pool nigg

lol. i found this post w.o having to namesearch.

was lookin for results lol
LOOOOOL i tried

Abate

Smash Journeyman
Oh sorto is an ICs player? It's kind of funny.... I moved to MD/VA right when Chu retired so now I'm supposedly the "new Chu" of the region. And now right when I left tristate there's another ICs player to fill the void. The saying goes that a region can only have one ICs player. No more, no less. So true lol.
he plays SO different than you. I think he's going to get real good real fast though.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
BTW, why is this thread literally broken? Does page 342 exist or not? And what metaphysical implications does this have for the nature of existence itself??

LLDL

Smash Hero
My ppp settings are normal, so I am on page 1364. It shows that there should be a page 1365 and 1366, but they don't exist. The thread always has 2 ghost pages. It's been like this for years, and smashboards admins don't know how to fix it, it's a vbulletin problem.

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
Thanks Abate. And Alukard, do you plan of having another No Johns tourny before ROM?

(*Jman*)

Smash Champion
So my brother from a another mother win this right mr hax$ himself

U guys complain to much it's a 11 year old video game suck it up and man up

Anyway Brian wassuppppppppppp u miss me at these <3

Alukard

Smash Hero
Thanks Abate. And Alukard, do you plan of having another No Johns tourny before ROM?
yea i'm trying to ... i'm just trying to figure out about the move and stuff

So my brother from a another mother win this right mr hax$ himself

U guys complain to much it's a 11 year old video game suck it up and man up

Anyway Brian wassuppppppppppp u miss me at these <3

yea man ... you already!!

hope PA is treating you good man be safe

Alukard

Smash Hero
Possibly sometime in october ... Im trying to figure things out since the whole moving to the new venue is happening ... I will keep you guys posted

Top Bottom