• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pacific West [Apr 18, 2015] Surf City Slam: NorCal Sm4sh Tourney feat. Sean, Rice, & more! (Capitola, CA)

tushlife

Smash Cadet
NNID
pantherdash
Facebook Event Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/944799205530673/

Surf City Slam is your chance to play one of the best new fighting games in an area that is known as one of the most beautiful landscapes on the central Californian coast.

This will be a Double Elimination Smash for Wii U Singles and Doubles tournament, with an optional amateur singles bracket for players that don't make it out of pools.

Please read all info before registering.

***Registration Page --- http://goo.gl/forms/Qd1QZxooNR

Tournament Overview
------------------------------

Event will be held Saturday, April 18th, 2015 from 10 am until 11 pm.

The address of the venue is:
Fairfield Inn and Suites
1255 41st Avenue
Capitola, CA 95010

Tournament Setup:
- This will be a Smash 4 Singles and Doubles tournament.
- Doubles will be a double-elimination bracket with an entry cap of up to 64 teams.
- Doubles will be played as Bo3, except for Winner’s Finals, Loser’s Finals, and Grand Finals being played as Bo5.
- Registration for the Singles bracket of the tournament will be capped at 132 entrants.
- Those 132 entrants will be split into 22 pools of 6 players. - The top 3 players from each pool, a total of 66 players, will advance to the singles bracket.
- The remaining players that did not make it out of pools can choose to be entered into a single-elimination amateur bracket, and will compete for a consolation prize. All matches will be played Bo3.
- The Singles Bracket will be played as Bo3, except for Winner’s Finals, Loser’s Finals, and Grand Finals being played as Bo5.
- Customs are on for this tournament and all other rules will follow the EVO 2015 tournament ruleset.

***Registration Fees:
- Player Venue Fee: $10
- Spectator Venue Fee: $5
- Singles Entry Fee: $10
- Doubles Entry Fee: $10 per team (each player pays $5)

Fee Waiver:
The first 20 players that show up to the venue with a full setup (Monitor, WiiU, Gamecube Controller Adapter) will waive their Venue fee of $10.
These players will also be allowed into the venue before registration to set up their station and play friendly matches to warm-up before other competitors are allowed to enter.

Other Rules:
1. Please be respectful to everyone at the venue. This includes staff and other players. No racist/homophobic/hateful language will be tolerated.

2. To avoid over-crowding in the venue, all spectators must register beforehand and must pay the $5 spectator entrance fee.

3. No friendly matches on will be played on stations after the tournament has started. We will need every available set-up to make sure the tournament runs smoothly and efficiently.

4. During bracket matches, you'll be called up to the TO station to meet your opponent and receive a station card. That station card will tell you which station to play at. Go to the station complete your match, and then the winner of the match should return the station card to the TO station and report your score.

5. Failure to report to the TO station within 5 minutes of having your name called OR failing to bring back the station card after your match will result in immediate disqualification.

Please read all info before registering.

***Registration Page --- http://goo.gl/forms/Qd1QZxooNR

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
What is the ruleset? How about the stagelist? Are custom moves on or off?

If you want to run customs, I have a 3DS with all of the customs unlocked. I could come and import the standard custom sets for each character.

tushlife

Smash Cadet
NNID
pantherdash
What is the ruleset? How about the stagelist? Are custom moves on or off?

If you want to run customs, I have a 3DS with all of the customs unlocked. I could come and import the standard custom sets for each character.
Ruleset will follow EVO 2015 Smash 4 rules. Customs are ON and if you want to come help unlock setups, that would be awesome!

tushlife

Smash Cadet
NNID
pantherdash
Are you going to use the Standard Custom Move project for sets?
I think that is the way EVO is leaning, so that's probably what we'll do. Although, I have heard some talk about EVO allowing people to set up their own customs, but I think for this tournament, it makes sense to just use the configurations from the SCMP.

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
Cool, I can totally help you set it up then. IDK when you'd want me to do that (probably a bit before the event?)

tushlife

Smash Cadet
NNID
pantherdash
Cool, I can totally help you set it up then. IDK when you'd want me to do that (probably a bit before the event?)
if you just show up at 10am, that should be enough time to get started on any setups that people have that aren't unlocked

tushlife

Smash Cadet
NNID
pantherdash
Any chance we could have a side Amiibo tourney? I can help run it if needed and/or help with running brackets. Let me know.

--GCII
Because this is the first tournament in this series, we're just going to be doing Singles, Doubles, and AmBrax. Sorry, but we can see how an Amiibo side tourney would fit in at future tourneys, but not for this one. Thanks for the offer though.

The Game II

Smash Champion
Because this is the first tournament in this series, we're just going to be doing Singles, Doubles, and AmBrax. Sorry, but we can see how an Amiibo side tourney would fit in at future tourneys, but not for this one. Thanks for the offer though.
No problem. Will still try to make it if nothing else comes up that day.

--GCII

CSymph

Smash Rookie
So I'm curious about the controller situation. Can we only use GC controllers? I'm fine with it but I just want to know because I use a Classic Controller. Thank you

tushlife

Smash Cadet
NNID
pantherdash
So I'm curious about the controller situation. Can we only use GC controllers? I'm fine with it but I just want to know because I use a Classic Controller. Thank you
Pro Controllers are allowed. The only controllers that cannot be used are controllers with a turbo function, controllers that have been modded and button mapped to provide more than one function per button, and the Wii U gamepad.

CSymph

Smash Rookie
Also, is there an approximate time schedule for singles and doubles? My reason is I'm a 3-hour drive away

Ps. Sorry for my double post

Last edited:

tushlife

Smash Cadet
NNID
pantherdash
Also, is there an approximate time schedule for singles and doubles? My reason is I'm a 3-hour drive away

Ps. Sorry for my double post
No worries about double posting. It's important to ask any questions you have, so thanks for asking!

The way the schedule is set-up, doubles will be starting around 11/11:30AM, and singles pools will start at 1, or as soon as set-ups open up during the doubles tourney. Singles will start around 4PM and the amateur bracket will start around 6, or as soon as set-ups are available. The tournament is expected to finish up around 11PM.

Also, if you are interested, the venue that this event is at is a hotel and I have discounted rates set-up for people attending. If you and some friends want to stay the night and not drive 3 hours, then private message me and I can help set up a room for you (you must be 18+ to book a room).

PK Bound

Smash Rookie
NNID
lolimjesus
Hey, I had a couple of questions about this tournament:
1. Is there an age limit?
2. I've registered with the Google form, what do I do now?
And 3. Does it last until 11 pm for everybody or just the grand winners?

tushlife

Smash Cadet
NNID
pantherdash
Hey, I had a couple of questions about this tournament:
1. Is there an age limit?
2. I've registered with the Google form, what do I do now?
And 3. Does it last until 11 pm for everybody or just the grand winners?
Hey! Thanks for asking.

1. There is no age limit. I guess if we had to put a limit on it, I guess it would be 13+ only, but I don't know anyone younger than 13 who is really interested in competitive smash anyway haha.
2. I have your registration on file. Just show up to the venue on the day of the tourney with your $20 (registration fee + smash 4 singles)
3. And the tournament will be closing at 11 with the awards for the winners from each event (singles/doubles/amateurs), but if you are finished with your events before 11, you are welcome to leave. I know some people have a long drive home, so staying until the end is not a requirement at all.

PK Bound

Smash Rookie
NNID
lolimjesus
Hey! Thanks for asking.

1. There is no age limit. I guess if we had to put a limit on it, I guess it would be 13+ only, but I don't know anyone younger than 13 who is really interested in competitive smash anyway haha.
2. I have your registration on file. Just show up to the venue on the day of the tourney with your $20 (registration fee + smash 4 singles)
3. And the tournament will be closing at 11 with the awards for the winners from each event (singles/doubles/amateurs), but if you are finished with your events before 11, you are welcome to leave. I know some people have a long drive home, so staying until the end is not a requirement at all.
Thanks! I'll be sure to come!

PK Bound

Smash Rookie
NNID
lolimjesus
Hey, sorry to bother you, I just wanted to know two things:
1. Will there be food at the tournament?
2. What hotels and what deals for them are available?

Gamr_8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer807
Can you only pay in cash or will there be other methods of payment? (just asking)

Last edited:

tushlife

Smash Cadet
NNID
pantherdash
Hey, sorry to bother you, I just wanted to know two things:
1. Will there be food at the tournament?
2. What hotels and what deals for them are available?
1. Yes, there will be food and beverages provided. There is also Subway and a market across the street if you want to do that instead.
2. The tournament is being held at the Fairfield Inn and Suites, and I have secured a few rooms for the night at $125 +tax. Message me if you want to book a room (18+ only)

PK Bound

Smash Rookie
NNID
lolimjesus
1. Yes, there will be food and beverages provided. There is also Subway and a market across the street if you want to do that instead.
2. The tournament is being held at the Fairfield Inn and Suites, and I have secured a few rooms for the night at $125 +tax. Message me if you want to book a room (18+ only)
Big thank you, I've decided to not stay the night.

tushlife

Smash Cadet
NNID
pantherdash
Alright cool, and about those rooms do we PM you for those?
Yes. I work at the hotel, so if you are interested in renting a room for the night, PM me and I can help you book one. I was able to get a big discount on these rooms, but they are still $125 a night, so I recommend splitting the cost with a friend or two if you don't wanna break your bank.

CSymph

Smash Rookie
A little curiosity I have. Will this be steamed/ have commentary? If so, doing a little bit of commentating on matches interests me.

tushlife

Smash Cadet
NNID
pantherdash
A little curiosity I have. Will this be steamed/ have commentary? If so, doing a little bit of commentating on matches interests me.
As of right now, streaming is up in the air. We might have some of the guys at Showdown helping stream, but because the tourney is still a month away, they can't commit yet to streaming for sure.

I suggest following the facebook page and we will post more updates about the tournament and plans and changes as they come up.

PufflyJigg

Smash Rookie
NNID
Squishward
if 2 people who are in a doubles team collaborated to bring a set up, like one person brings the game, console, and GC adapter, and the other brings an HDMI monitor, could our registration fees both be waved or shortened to $5 each, or is the waving only for one person?

tushlife

Smash Cadet
NNID
pantherdash
if 2 people who are in a doubles team collaborated to bring a set up, like one person brings the game, console, and GC adapter, and the other brings an HDMI monitor, could our registration fees both be waved or shortened to $5 each, or is the waving only for one person?
We could probably discount it so you each pay $5. The registration fee goes towards things like snacks, beverages, pizza, and prizes, so I couldn't waive it for both of you, but I could give you each $5 off if you are both bringing part of a set-up. Just make sure you arrive together so we can count you both as bringing one full set-up.

Top Bottom