• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Apr 18, 2015] Bair with it, it's only fair (Smash 4 Wii U and PM) (Morehead, Ky)

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
So I've decided to TO again! Anyway to keep things short I'll just cut to the good stuff.

facebook link : https://www.facebook.com/events/812926588801374/813064295454270/

Schedule (Tentative)
11:00 Doors Open
11:30 Registration Opens
12:30 Doubles Registration Closes (both games)
13:00 Smash Wii U Doubles Begins
13:30 PM Doubles Begin
14:30 Singles Closes (both games)
15:00 Smash Wii U Singles Pools Begins
15:00 PM Singles begin
18:00 Smash Wii U Singles Bracket Begins
19:30 Smash Wii U 3v3 Closes
20:00 Smash Wii U 3v3 begins
23:00 Begin Cleaning
00:00 Venue Closes

Food

Food is available on campus as well as:
  • Wendy's
  • McDonald's
  • Arby's
  • Fazoli's
  • Buffalo Wild wings
  • Hardee's
  • Long Johns
  • Jimmy Johns
  • Taco Bell
  • and so on...
  • All of these locations are five mins or so away from the venue

Parking
You can park next to the Bert Combs building which is right next to he building we're playing in, closest parking lot available, otherwise you can park anywhere as long as that parking space is not numbered, if you park in a numbered spot and someone notices it'll be towed. The numbers are in the parking spot itself and not on a sign, it's noticeable.

Fees

Venue: $5
Smash Wii U Singles: $10
Smash Wii U Doubles: $20 ($10 per person)
Smash Wii U 3v3: $3 ($1 per person)
Project M singles: $10
Project M doubles: $20 ($10 per person)
Venue will be waived if you bring a setup that is USED under the following: a TV(preferably HD) and/or Wii U system with a Wii U GameCube adapter that has the copy of the game Super Smash Bros. for Wii U with all the stages and character unlocked.

$5 waived for full setup
$3 waived for TV
$2 waived for Wii U with adapter.

Smash 4 Rules

-All matches are a best of 3 games. Winners Finals, Losers Finals, and Grand Finals are best of 5 games. Semi-Finals may be a best of 5 depending on attendance.

-Players who fail to report to their match within 10 minutes of it being announced will lose their first game of the match. After 15 minutes without reporting to their match, players will be disqualified from the tournament.

- Coaching is allowed only between games, not during. Max time limit is 2 minutes.

- Bracket matches take priority over friendlies and money matches. The TO reserves the right to prematurely end any match.

- BYOC

- Non-first party controllers must be inspected by TO staff before use in tourney.

- Pause can be requested off and that request cannot be denied. If one pauses mid-match, the person who initiated the pause loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock (such as interfering with recovery), the person who initiated the pause loses two stocks. If there is any doubt in the ruling of a pausing incident, stop what you are doing and CALL ONE OF THE TOs TO YOUR MATCH.

- The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.

- Any hacks or mods applied to a setup may be inspected by a TO, who reserves the right to have those hacks disabled if they are deemed inappropriate for tournament play.

The act of stalling is banned -- Stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinite’s, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

-Any Glitch that freezes the game is banned.

- Amiibos banned in regular 1v1, 2v2, 4v4, etc.

-Team Color Rules - The opposing team has the right to ask for a change when character color palette and team color are too different. For example, Team A (RED) Red Mario and Red Luigi. TEAM B (BLUE) Red Mega Man and Green Peach.

-If you plan on leaving temporarily to go out somewhere for a while please let the TO know.

-If your match is called and you have not played within the next 10 minutes, you will receive a warning. If you arrive 5 minutes after you will lose 1 stock. If you are 18 minutes late total you will forfeit your first game. If you are late for a total of 25 minutes. You will lose the set.

Pools for Singles - There will be Singles pools to help determine your seeding placement in bracket. There will be a pool cut off if there are more than 32 people who registered. The moment you finish your pool matches your placement for bracket will already be determined. The goal is to not have bracket manipulation but I may move some players around in accordance with their seeds to avoid same region matching. Once again, whatever placement you get in your pool already determines your placement in bracket with few exceptions.

*Bracket: Double Elimination

* 3 stock, 8:00 minute timer.

* Team attack is ON

* Items OFF.

* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.

* If Time limit is up and Stocks and Percents are the same you will do a 1 stock 3 min game to determine the winner of that game

* Custom Moves are legal

* Custom Equipment is BANNED.

*Mewtwo is legal

* Mii Fighters are legal

* Modified DSR: You cannot counterpick any stage you won on in the set unless agreed upon by the opponent.

* Best out of 5 sets will only have one ban

* All finals sets are best out of 5

Stage Strike from Neutrals for the first match of the set in “1221″ fashion:

1. First player strikes one stage.

2. Second player strikes two stages.

3. First player strikes two stage.

4. Second player strikes one stage.

Stage Striking and Bans

Players select their characters. Either player may choose to Blind Pick. In this case, each player secretly tells a third player their character before picking with the third player verifying their selections.

1. Highest seed strikes first
  2. 1-2-2-1 then you start on remaining stage.
  3. A stage may be agreed upon by both parties.
  4. At the end of the each match
  5. the winner may ban 2 stages (If FD is banned Omega stages are ARE banned as well).
  6. Loser announces counterpick stage
  7. Winner may change character, then loser may change character
  8. Game 2 commences
  9. Repeat above steps at end of Game 2 if a Game 3 happens.
  10. Every set, including finals, will only have 2 bans per player/team.
  11. Dave’s Stupid Rule, DSR, is on.
  12. You cannot counterpick any stage you have won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
Stage list:

Starters:

-Battlefield
-Town and City
-Smashville
-Lylat Cruise
-Final Destination (Including all Omega)
-Duck Hunt
-Castle Siege

Counterpicks:

-Delfino Plaza
-Halberd
-Skyloft
-Kongo Jungle

*If Olimar is on the same team as a character that has a reflector in doubles, Olimar cannot select the "Order Tackle" custom special. If the Olimar's teammate is not using any reflectors through alternate specials, the Olimar can still use Order Tackle. The following characters have a reflector as an option:
Dark Pit
Dr. Mario
Falco
Fox
Mario
Megaman
Mii Gunner
Mii Swordfighter
Palutena
Pit
R.O.B.
Zelda
In doubles, Lucario's Snaring Aura Sphere cannot be selected if his partner is a Villager that is using either Pocket or Pocket Plus.

* Modified Daves Stupid Rule: A player cannot go back to the stage he last won on in the set

Smash 4 3v3 VIP Ruleset:

-3 stock 8 minutes
-Double elimination
-One player on each team must be tagged as VIP in the game
-Once a VIP has lost all 3 stocks, the other team automatically wins.
-No stock sharing allowed otherwise that will result in loss of stock.
-Starter stage is Pyrosphere and counters are Big Battlefield and Norfair
-All sets are best of 3 including winners, losers, and grand finals.
-Modified Daves Stupid Rule is omitted in 3v3

Project M rules

Project: M Rules

* 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer.
* All items set to OFF and item frequency set to NONE.
* Input Assist set to OFF.
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* Dave’s Stupid Rule: You cannot counterpick any stage you have won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
* The TO staff reserves the right to change rulesets accordingly in the event of a new release at least two weeks before the tournament.

Stage Strike from Starters for the first match of the set:
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes one stage.
3. Play on remaining stage

After each match:
1. Winner announces two (2) stage bans
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character

stage list:

Starter
- Battlefield
- Smashville
- Pokemon Stadium 2

Counterpick
- Wario Ware Inc.
- Dreamland
- Green Hill Zone
- Final Destination
- Fountain of Dreams

Payout

100% of the entrance fee for their respective events will be used as payouts

< 16

1st place - 70%
2nd place - 30%

>16

1st place - 60%
2nd place - 30%
3rd place - 10%

>24

1st place - 60%
2nd place - 30%
3rd place - 10%

4th place - Half of entrance fee back

> 32

1st place - 55%
2nd place - 30%
3rd place - 10%
4th place - 5%

>48

1st place - 55%
2nd place - 30%
3rd place - 10%
4th place - 5%

5th place - Half of entrance fee back

5th place - Half of entrance fee back

> 64

1st place - 44%
2nd place - 28%
3rd place - 14%
4th place - 8%
5th place - 4%
5th place - 4%

Any questions, concerns or suggestion on this post please let me know!

Last edited:

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Will definitely try to make it out to this. Will take any money matches.

I'll also need a doubles partner who wants to get top 3. ;)

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Whoa.

I've always wanted to go to a real Smash tournament. I thought it would be simple, but this is way more complicated than I thought. 0.0

Care to explain? I really want to go.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
What are you having trouble with? It really is a straight forward thing. You show up to where the tournament is being held while registration is going on and then you're in the tournament.

EDIT:None of this is any kind of negative tone btw. Just in case it came off that way lmao

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
What are you having trouble with? It really is a straight forward thing. You show up to where the tournament is being held while registration is going on and then you're in the tournament.

EDIT:None of this is any kind of negative tone btw. Just in case it came off that way lmao
There is just way more to it than I thought. I have to pay for a set up? Do you have to actually do that?

I'm so confused XD

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
@ AnchorTea AnchorTea You don't have to pay for a set up. If you bring a set up you skip the fee for the venue. so bringing a set up is actually cheaper than not bringing a set up. All you have to do is show up, sign up, pay the fees (entry + venue) then you are in. since there are pools you'll get to play several games regardless of win/loss.

There are no fees for playing at a station if thats what you asked.

Are you local? as in from morehead? if so we do weeklies every Thursday night. It's a fun (and free) hang out and we usually pull in about 10 without advertising it. I plan on advertising it soon enough.

Edit Also i realize i don't have a stage list up for 3's. I'm still looking into it and will have it up no later than a month before the tournament.

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
@ AnchorTea AnchorTea You don't have to pay for a set up. If you bring a set up you skip the fee for the venue. so bringing a set up is actually cheaper than not bringing a set up. All you have to do is show up, sign up, pay the fees (entry + venue) then you are in. since there are pools you'll get to play several games regardless of win/loss.

There are no fees for playing at a station if thats what you asked.

Are you local? as in from morehead? if so we do weeklies every Thursday night. It's a fun (and free) hang out and we usually pull in about 10 without advertising it. I plan on advertising it soon enough.

Edit Also i realize i don't have a stage list up for 3's. I'm still looking into it and will have it up no later than a month before the tournament.
Ok. Thank you for the answer. I appreciate it.

I'm not a local. I'm actually in Springfield, MO. I'm kinda considering this tournament. Kentucky is a bit far, but I honestly want to go to a big tournament. Not for winning though, just for learning and experiencing. (I've only been at competitive Smash for only 4 months. There is no way I can win something big now XD)

Edit: I just looked at the US map. Kentucky is only a state away. I will most likely sign up now :)

Last edited:

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
@ AnchorTea AnchorTea , You should def attend this tourney. You should also attend tournies in Louisville! Even closer =]

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I need to make it to more tournaments, so I'll try to get to this.

INB4WorkJohns

Edit:

Nevermind. I don't like customs so I won't be attending this after all.

Last edited:

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
PM depends on how many i get interested. There are some logistical issues I have to deal with. I'll be editing the rules based on what happens in the next three days.

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
In order to run the tournament more smoothly I am changing the rule set to "Customs are banned" The main reason is I cannot find someone with an unlocked 3ds.

The project M bracket will run along wit hte smash wii u bracket

skiboots

Smash Cadet
NNID
skiboots
I also have a 3DS with all customs unlocked that I can bring (or let Eric take if I don't end up making it)

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
I'm fine with customs on or off and dont honestly care one way or the other. The facebook post sort of finalized it though so I won't be going back on it, it's bad enough that I've changed it once, I won't change it twice, makes it wishy washy. Sorry about the change but I don't want to confuse people more than I have to. I figure that non customs will do okay since most of the tournaments this month are customs anyway.

edit - if most of the people coming want them then i have no issues with it, I'm interested in the the better tournament atmosphere. But for now its off and would require feedback for it to change.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
edit - if most of the people coming want them then i have no issues with it, I'm interested in the the better tournament atmosphere. But for now its off and would require feedback for it to change.
Does this mean that this could change at the door if the majority wants customs?

I don't want to request off and find out after getting to the event that the rules changed... (This happened at a local tournament not too long ago; I was not amused).

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
it wont change at the door. it'll be finalized within two weeks of the tourney date, I will not change anything then, kinda like a job. I made the change and now people are like, I got a custom set up! From the looks of it though many either dont care or want them on. I'll make the finalized version soon.

Last edited:

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
k folks we are actually going to roll with customs. Mewtwo will also be legal. If you have a 3ds with the moves unlocked bring it if you wish to help set up. Many people asked me about customs being off then offered to bring a 3ds after i turned them off. Since we have the ability to put customs on now theres no reason to change the ruleset. Sorry for the inconveniences.

Last edited:

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
had to fix an oversight with the doubles ruleset for smash 4
VIP 3v3 rules added.
Miiverse may be legal if the stage is playable.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
pssst, xisin, now's the time to advertise this on facebook and be like "first mewtwo tournament"

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
updated pricing for PM and added PM to the schedule. One last update in regards to parking, still working with the university police to set up close parking

Last edited:

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
double post but last one:

You can park next to the Bert Combs building which is right next to he building we're playing in, closest parking lot available, otherwise you can park anywhere as long as that parking space is not numbered, if you park in a numbered spot and someone notices it'll be towed. The numbers are in the parking spot itself and not on a sign, it's noticeable.

Top Bottom