• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Apr 12, 2014] The FanXperience Super Smash Bros. Tournament (Salt Lake City, UT)

BigK_201

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigK_201
3DS FC
2406-5184-1090

The FanXperience Super Smash Bros. Tournament
Saturday, April 12, 2014, check-in starting at 10:00 AM (Preliminaries)
Thursday, April 17th (Start time TBA) (Top 8 and Grand Finals)

REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED
If you want to compete at the tournament, please go to the On-site registration table at 10:00 AM

After the wonderful success of Salt Lake Comic Con’s Super Smash Bros. Tournament last September, we are happy to announce that a Super Smash Bros. Tournament will be reappearing for the Salt Lake Comic Con FanXperience. For FanX, we’ve decided to include a tournament for Super Smash Bros. Melee, as well as for Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Pre-registration is now closed. If you want to compete at the tournament, please go to the On-site registration table at 10:00 AM

To make this tournament a success, and to run as smoothly and as quickly as possible, we’re asking that people bring equipment, including CRT TV’s, Wii Systems, and copies of Super Smash Bros. Melee (we are not in need of Brawl). For those that Bring one of each of these things, we will refund your $10 venue fee. We will also refund $5 for a CRT TV, $3 for a Wii system, and $2 for a copy of Melee. Please note, that you will only receive a refund if we use your equipment, and this will be on a first come, first serve basis. If you bring equipment, please arrive at 9:00 AM, so that we may set up and check everything.

Players need to provide their own controller for matches – any controller that works with the game may be used, including Wii Remote, Wii Remote+Nunchuck, Wii Remote+Classic Controller, or GameCube Controller. Players are encouraged to bring a back-up controller and batteries (if using a Wii-remote) just in case.

Venues

For Preliminaries:
University of Utah Guest House Hotel and Conference Center - East Douglas Room
110 Fort Douglas Blvd
Salt Lake City, UT 84113

We're renting the Douglas East room and equipment from the University of Utah Guest House Hotel and Services. The building is located just south of the Heath and Science Campus and directly east of the 2002 Olympic Legacy Bridge. It is adjacent to the Fort Douglas stop on the Red Trax Line, which we recommend our attendees take advantage of as parking is limited and should be mostly for those who bringing full equipment.

For directions to the venue, check the University of Utah Guest House website.
For information on parking and entrance into the building, click to refer to an image.

For Top 4 and Finals:
Salt Palace Convention Center – Room 255 or 155 (Gaming Room of SLCC FanXperience)
100 South, West Temple
Salt Lake City, Utah 84101

Similarly to the University of Utah Guest House, parking will be limited downtown because of the FanX Convention being help, so all attendees and spectators are encouraged to take UTA public transportation. In either room 155 or 255 of the convention center, there will be a gaming room for the convention, and matches will be played on stage at the event.

Those who make it to the Top 8 will be given passes to enter the event. All other spectators will need a pass to the FanXperience convention to come to the event. Passes that will get you into the event are a Thursday Only pass ($25 Adult/$10 (11-16 years old)), a Multipass ($60/$40), or a VIP Pass ($175 each). To buy tickets, go to the
Salt Lake Comic Con website.

The Tournament & Schedule
Super Smash Bros. Melee 1v1
Super Smash Bros. Brawl 1v1

Preliminaries - Saturday, April 12th, check-in starting at 10:00 AM
Top 8 and Grand Finals – Thursday, April 17th (Start time TBA)

General Gameplay Rules
Rules will be based on a slightly modified version of the APEX 2014 Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Click here for Super Smash Bros. Melee Rules. Click here for Super Smash Bros. Brawl Rules.

These rules are subject to change leading up to the event date, but we will push news updates to make known any changes. Any player may be disqualified due to unfashionable behavior (insults, verbal/physical attacks, etc.) as seen fit by the tournament hosts. Anyone disqualified due to unfashionable behavior will not be refunded entrance or venue fees.

By participating in the tournament or attending the tournament as a spectator, you agree to abide by all rules, terms and conditions of the tournament and tournament venues. It is your responsibility to be familiar with these conditions.

Tournament Structure
Preliminaries will be run with pools, with a double elimination bracket for the Top 8.

Pool ties will be broken as follows:
1. Number of sets won
2. Winning percentage in games (win/loss ratio)
3. Head-to-head

In the event of an X-way tie in Singles Pools after all tiebreakers are exhausted, a best-of-1 round robin will be played out between the X players until there is a clear order of placings.

Money and Prizes
Venue Fee: For the first week of registration, the cost will be $10.00. After the first week and until the end of registration, the cost will be $15.00 (with cash discounts given at the tournament for equipment used for the tournaments). Entrance fee for the tournaments will be $15 each.

Entrance fee Payout
Less than 100 Participants
1st place: 40%
2nd place: 25%
3rd place: 15%
4th place: 10%
5th place: 5%
6th place: 5%
TOTAL PAYOUT: 100%

100 or more Participants
1st place: 50%
2nd place: 25%
3rd place: 11%
4th place: 6%
5th place: 2.5%
6th place: 2.5%
7th place: 1.5%
8th place: 1.5%

TOTAL PAYOUT: 100%

REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED
If you want to compete at the tournament, please go to the On-site registration table at 10:00 AM

Other information

For the preliminaries at the Guest House, outside food is permitted and so we recommend that participants pack a lunch to the event, otherwise, there are some snack and microwavable food options available to purchase in the lobby of the building.

If you're interested in volunteering, please send an email to chris.b-at-slcomiccon.com with SMASH in the subject line.

This tournament is organized by members of Utah 3DS StreetPass and is hosted by Salt Lake Comic Con FanXperience.

To get updates through Facebook, RSVP to the Facebook Event page.

For more information on FanX and to buy tickets to the convention, check out the Salt Lake Comic Con website.

Last edited:

BigK_201

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigK_201
3DS FC
2406-5184-1090
Here's your first update for the Tournament - The rules! Click the link below to find the official rules for the Super Smash Bros. Tournament based on the APEX 2014 Super Smash Bros. Brawl rule set.

Also, right now the date looks more likely that it will be on April 12, and April 5th will be a back up day if needed. We may be securing a Venue this Wednesday, but I will let you know where it is when we have it finalized.

Click the link for the rules, and let us know if the comments in your have any questions: https://docs.google.com/a/utah3ds.com/document/d/1ECLdj8Sr4a5RYk1jXsnOTlSyxDm-bjeXTbMlFnszq0I/edit

BigK_201

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigK_201
3DS FC
2406-5184-1090
Big announcements today from EVO 2014 right? Melee is great!

In fact, (totally not because of EVO, but we did just recently decide to go ahead with this) we've decided to include a Melee singles bracket for the FanXperience tournament! :D

We've also posted information on Entrance fee amount, Venue fee, and Entrance fee payouts. Check it out!

We're exactly one month away from the event. Get excited everyone!

(And, yes, still need to wait a tad longer for registration to open. But it will be soon!)

David Guzman

Smash Rookie
Do you still need any more wii's? I have one with gamecube ports I can bring if you guys still need some

BigK_201

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigK_201
3DS FC
2406-5184-1090
Do you still need any more wii's? I have one with gamecube ports I can bring if you guys still need some
What we need most are CRT TVs, then copies of Melee (we should be good on copies of Brawl but you can bring yours) and Wii systems, priority in that order. And we will give discounts to your venue fee for each of those things. All details are in the main post of the thread.

Thanks!

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I can bring a gamecube and melee, and a CRT if I get a ride from somebody. I'll bring the melee setup no matter what though. I can bring a surge protector too if needed

wangston

Smash Lord
This tourney sounds like fun. I'll go if kenny goes. Even though I don't play much smash anymore I feel like I could get top eight for sure.

BigK_201

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigK_201
3DS FC
2406-5184-1090
FYI Everyone - Registration will be opening this week, possibly as early as today or tomorrow. I'll let you know as soon as it's up. Thank you for your patience!

BigK_201

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigK_201
3DS FC
2406-5184-1090
How long do you think this will go till?
Without knowing how many are registering or how many sets ups we will have, it's hard to say. But, for sure, the more set ups we have, the quicker it will go. In the registration form, we're asking for what people will be able to bring, and that will give us a great idea of how long it will take. Registration closes on Saturday April, 5th at 11:59 PM, so that is the earliest of when we will have the best estimate.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
The goal is to finish up everything around 6 or 7. Since it's two events, should be possible, but it will definitely be a "play your match, clear for the next one" thing. It'll be pretty organized though, so don't expect any hiccups really.

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
Hmmmm......Yeah it just depends because if it goes too long I can't make it

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
What's a "1st Responder"?

And I understand there being Tax, with how it's connected with Comic Con, but why is there a Service Charge? It's just a plot to get people to pay more, especially with how it can't be avoided, which is quite the BS.

Last edited:

BigK_201

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigK_201
3DS FC
2406-5184-1090
What's a "1st Responder"?

And I understand there being Tax, with how it's connected with Comic Con, but why is there a Service Charge? It's just a plot to get people to pay more, especially with how it can't be avoided, which is quite the BS.
I'm not sure what the service charge, but it has do do with MediaOne who does the billing for the event. :/ Just learned today that it was going to be there. We're sorry about that. :( We'll just try that much harder to make this a great tournament for everyone :)

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
I'm growing saltier by the day that I can't make it to this... @ Superw0rri0 Superw0rri0 levels of salty... It's not healthy.
Imma slap the black off you :p

Lol jk... It's a proper level of saltiness for missing this

I'm going to miss it too so we can have like a salt party or something.

Last edited:

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I'm growing saltier by the day that I can't make it to this... @ Superw0rri0 Superw0rri0 levels of salty... It's not healthy.
YES! I don't have to deal with any Luigi's and/or annoyingly defensive Foxes
Dang! It's too bad you can't come.

Anyway, I just registered. If I want to register for the actual Comic Con separately later, I can, right? And I heard that top-4 gets into Comic Con for free? What if someone already paid their registration badge, and then gets in for free. Would they get a discount?

BigK_201

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigK_201
3DS FC
2406-5184-1090
YES! I don't have to deal with any Luigi's and/or annoyingly defensive Foxes
Dang! It's too bad you can't come.

Anyway, I just registered. If I want to register for the actual Comic Con separately later, I can, right? And I heard that top-4 gets into Comic Con for free? What if someone already paid their registration badge, and then gets in for free. Would they get a discount?
I'm actually seeing that you registered twice? :p

Great questions - Yes, the top 4 from each tournament will get a free 3 day pass to FanX as a prize. If someone already has a FanX pass, I have to double check on that with SLCC. I'm thinking they will give other FanX event goodies or credits, rather than a refund. You can always pay FanX tickets even the week of the convention, so if you want to wait it out until after the tournament to see if you make it, then you're welcome to :)

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I'm actually seeing that you registered twice? :p

Great questions - Yes, the top 4 from each tournament will get a free 3 day pass to FanX as a prize. If someone already has a FanX pass, I have to double check on that with SLCC. I'm thinking they will give other FanX event goodies or credits, rather than a refund. You can always pay FanX tickets even the week of the convention, so if you want to wait it out until after the tournament to see if you make it, then you're welcome to :)
I started the registration process, but stopped right before submitting my payment to wait for a response regarding some of my registration questions. Then when I tried to submit the payment hours later, it didn't go through (probably due to the session expiring), so I restarted the process from the beginning. I only got one confirmation e-mail for the payment, so I probably only paid once, fortunately. If possible, just delete my first registration (unless you want to let me take up two tournament slots XD).

And does the FanX pass go up in price anytime between now and the week after the Smash tournament (but before the actual Comic Con)? Even though I'm fairly confident I can get top-4, I don't want to risk having to pay more to register if I can just get a refund for the pass after getting top-4.

BigK_201

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigK_201
3DS FC
2406-5184-1090
Yeah the registration form was tied separately from the payment side, so yeah you only paid once, but had 2 forms :p no worries :)

BigK_201

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigK_201
3DS FC
2406-5184-1090
UPDATE TO REGISTRATION AND FEES FOR FANX TOURNAMENT:

After a day of registration being live, we've realized two things - Registration was a little confusing, and that there were added fee's that that potential attendees didn't know about. Well we've fixed both.

Click the link below for a smoother registration process. We've also lowered the price of the entrance fees by $5.00 for each tournament, making it closer to the original price we originally told people.

If you still have questions about registration or fees, please leave us a comment, or send an email to chris.bennion@slcomiccon.com. Thanks everyone!

http://www.utah3ds.com/2014/03/registration-open-for-fanx-super-smash.html

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
So for the people that registered and paid already, do we get a refund?
If not, then this is the last time I'm ever giving support to SLCC.

Top Bottom