• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Apr 12, 2014] Civil War VI- EVO SEEDING POINTS, $500 MELEE POT BONUS,... (Richmond, VA)

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
I'm from Maryland, and it's about an hour and a half away from Richmond. I think I will have a better chance getting my dad to take me.

Where can I get one of those parental consent forms for me and my friend to be able to play?

Middleman97

Smash Apprentice
Coming from someone who only really plays PM, can I expect PM the entire time, or are we switching between Melee and PM?

Renegade

Smash Journeyman
I'm from Maryland, and it's about an hour and a half away from Richmond. I think I will have a better chance getting my dad to take me.

Where can I get one of those parental consent forms for me and my friend to be able to play?
When you register and your DOB is under 16, I'll send one closer to the event.

Coming from someone who only really plays PM, can I expect PM the entire time, or are we switching between Melee and PM?
I'm trying to get as many setups as possible. So yes.

But sometimes my definition of "will there be X game the entire time" is different from others.

I'll make sure there's a few setups when PM is over. Obviously, a couple Wii's may be cannibalized during the first rounds of the Melee tourney, so waits on the PM stations may increase, but after that and all day sunday it should be balanced to the entrant ratio.

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
Oh, ok. So I just have to get a parent a nd my friend to get one of his parents to sign and we'll be ready?

Oh, and why is it extra to play one game?

Renegade

Smash Journeyman
Oh, ok. So I just have to get a parent a nd my friend to get one of his parents to sign and we'll be ready?

Oh, and why is it extra to play one game?
It isn't. The first fee is for the tournament costs itself. This covers the venue, the equipment, the stream, the promotion, etc etc.

Each game you enter costs $10. This money goes straight into that games pot to be awarded to the top placers.

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
Ohhh, I see. Well, I probably won't be able to come, sorry. If I had found out about this sooner, like in February, I would be able too. But I cannot because of time constraints.

Ikagi_chan

Smash Rookie
What are the specific rules for Melee and Project M? The general venue/tournament rules as well as the rules for all the other games are listed in an earlier post and on the main site, but I didn't see anything for either Smash title. Are these rules similar (if not the same) as the rules for Melee and Project M at UFGT?

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
What are the specific rules for Melee and Project M? The general venue/tournament rules as well as the rules for all the other games are listed in an earlier post and on the main site, but I didn't see anything for either Smash title. Are these rules similar (if not the same) as the rules for Melee and Project M at UFGT?
I was just going to use the standard Apex ruleset.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
This looks like it's going to be an awesome event. How many Melee entrants have reg'd so far/are you expecting? Can someone post links to the previous event pics/vids of the venue if its' the same for the lazy of us? Thanks.

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
This looks like it's going to be an awesome event. How many Melee entrants have reg'd so far/are you expecting? Can someone post links to the previous event pics/vids of the venue if its' the same for the lazy of us? Thanks.
The last Civil War was held at a different venue so pictures won't necessarily help. If you're at all familiar with the VCU campus, here's a map: http://www.maps.vcu.edu/pdfs/campus_map.pdf

If you look at the park in the middle, you would need to walk westward down S. Cathedral Pl. which eventually turns into Floyd Ave. The building which the venue is located at is building #11, the Academic Learning Commons.

In terms of attendance, Melee is currently in 3rd behind SF4 and UMvC3. I'd estimate that Melee hits at least 64 as the weekend of the event approaches.

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious, why do so many events not have prereg lists like Apex does?
There is a pre-reg list, it just isn't public :p I'm not in charge of it though, but if it were up to me, I would've had it made public, like Apex did.
A schedule would be very much appreciated.
Here's the tentative schedule:

Saturday
8-10: Setup
10-12: Door Registration
12-4: PM Pools
4-6: Melee Pools
6-7: Food break ; (May also use this time to recover lost time if stuff takes longer than expected)
7-11: Melee Pools

Sunday
10-1: PM Finals (Top 8?)
1-5: Melee Finals (Top 16?)
5-Midnight: Free play
Midnight-2am: Breakdown

If there's enough interest for teams, they'll probably be Saturday night. If they don't finish on Saturday, it can roll over to Sunday.

Renegade

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious, why do so many events not have prereg lists like Apex does?
Pre-Regs only matter when people put money down. Otherwise, they're as worthless as Facebook RSVPs.

That being said, when you have a monetary pre-reg system, people will always wait until the LAST minute to sign up.

Last year, 80% of ALL regs happened within 3 weeks till the event. 50% within 9 days.

This hurts the "so you're having a party huh? Who's there? I may show up." Kinda people, because they always check, never pay.

Apex is a bit different overall, kinda unique in that it's a smash tourney that's not quite grassroots anymore, but not quite EVO/MLG level either.

A schedule would be very much appreciated.
Pools sat
Pm -12
Melee 4ish.

Finals sun
Pm finals 11am top 8
Melee finals after 2ish top 16

Side event doubles Sunday, but could start late sat depending on when melee pools finish.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
So if I pre-regged and my PM pool isn't until say, for example 2pm, I don't actually have to be at the venue until 2pm right?

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman

smashmachine

Smash Lord
so how's Melee doing after the last week registration?
also any notable players coming to this

Kamimaybe

Smash Rookie
Hi, I have a question about the registration. If the email I registered with was different from the paypal I sent the money from, does it matter?

EDIT: nvm

Last edited:

Renegade

Smash Journeyman
more like 55
....which still isn't much, but then you have to consider turnout was pretty bad all around
Turnout was fine, good even.

Especially considering there was 47 at the NCSU tournament in Raleigh 2.5 hours away and 65 at the Smash University in New York that pulled M2K and two members of Team CTRL (most of whom came to CW6 since they sponsored the Marvel tournament) .

Not to mention the barrier of me having to overcome the "FGC stigma"

If you guys base your turnout expectations on $5 tournaments and quantity > quality, yeah this may not have been a success.

However, in my eyes, you had two top 10 placers at EVO battle it out among a really talented field, a new format to try that provided a steady stream of great matches, and a hometown hero scored a huge upset.

PP also took home more money than M2K did, plus he won a sword!

King77

Smash Rookie
Turnout was fine, good even.

Especially considering there was 47 at the NCSU tournament in Raleigh 2.5 hours away and 65 at the Smash University in New York that pulled M2K and two members of Team CTRL (most of whom came to CW6 since they sponsored the Marvel tournament) .

Not to mention the barrier of me having to overcome the "FGC stigma"

If you guys base your turnout expectations on $5 tournaments and quantity > quality, yeah this may not have been a success.

However, in my eyes, you had two top 10 placers at EVO battle it out among a really talented field, a new format to try that provided a steady stream of great matches, and a hometown hero scored a huge upset.

PP also took home more money than M2K did, plus he won a sword!

I'm happy to hear that the tournament went well for you Renegade, very cool stuff you are doing. This is my first post here, I play project M and have lived in Richmond for the past few years, from NoVa, I am new to competitive smash but interested in tournament/professional level play after watching much on youtube. I've played project M probably 10-20 hours a week since patch 2.5, and played brawl casually for years before. When I started project M I began playing with a very talented player and have tried hard these last months to get on his level, which I like to think I am approaching. He told me of this tournament several days ago, I was upset that he hadn't mentioned it prior to the tourney actually happening. I would have liked to attend and see for myself the level of competitive Project M play and how I stand to it and can learn.

About how often are tournaments like this held in Richmond? I'm assuming this website is a good place to be to be aware of upcoming tournaments in the Virginia area, so I will keep an eye out.

Was the Project M singles only, or was there team play? About how much $$ did first place win, 2nd, 3rd, etc? Do you know of any other, perhaps smaller level Richmond area Project M tournaments?

Thanks

Also, as the matches were streamed, are they or will they be uploaded to youtube?

Last edited:
Top Bottom