• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approaching with Mewtwo

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
What's Mewtwo's best approach option?

As a fairly defensive Mewtwo player, one of my weakpoints as a player was approaching the opponent when they got into the lead. My combo game is fine, its just getting that started thats the problem. Whats Mewtwo's most reliable/safest approach,, and if he doesn't have a safe approach, which one has the best chance of starting aerial juggles?

I have a feeling the answer is Telehovernair, but I tend to miss the nair input, like I'm pressing A during my Hover, but nothing is happening.

CeLL

Smash Lord
WD -> dtilt is decent. Teleport, and not just into hover and nair. Mix it up. Teleport behind them and hover-cancel a fair on their shield. Have fun with it.

Last edited:

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
To be honest I've been finding a lot of success in... not approaching. To maintain this playstyle, you need to know which moves clash with what projectiles, and if never hurts to have a strong perfect-shied game.

Use tilt spacing, hovered aerials, hover-canceled aerials, and teleports away to control space and zone, along with constant pressure from Shadow Ball. Hover-canceled aerials in neutral are very strong because you can hover toward or away from your opponent. Even if they are shielding, hover-canceled Uairs are safe.

Yeah teleport-in aerials are kind of bread-and-butter, so practice it until you get it down, but a lot of players are starting to expect it and hitboxes that are already out will be teleports in.

CeLL

Smash Lord
Hover-canceled aerials in neutral are very strong because you can hover toward or away from your opponent. Even if they are shielding, hover-canceled Uairs are safe.
Not just safe. Hover-cancelled fair and uair have positive shield advantage, so if they try to shield grab a lot, you can just grab them first. Bair does too, but you're backwards...

Last edited:

tehmarkysparky

Smash Rookie
I think that teleport in behind shadow balls works really well.. it's a frame trap that puts the opponent at a disadvantage, but its not a huge thing, it's more of how you use it I think.. a example being.

lets say you condition the opponent you're facing to get used to you throwing a shadow ball, then teleporting in behind it and they block both attacks, you can then hover teleport, or do a instant jump teleport to land almost instantly and get a free grab, can be a very nice 50-50.

however if they anticipate the empty teleport unless the shadow ball is timed perfectly they can still shield grab you before you can grab them, but then you can just hover out of teleport and hit em with a neutral air and land behind them, there's really a lot of things you can do off of a simple shadow ball if you get creative. ive had decent success teleing in backwards when they think I'm going to grab and hovering behind them while hitting with a FAIR then grabbing upon landing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom