• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approaching Marth

flyboy__

Smash Cadet
Hey y'all. Putting some thoughts to the board since I've been thinking about this matchup a ton.

I think it's super easy to get discouraged when playing against a decent Marth, especially at a low level where it's easy to feel that you die every time you get touched. Though Marth's punish game on spacies can't be denied, today I'd like to share a little on my mindset and the way I approach ;) the neutral game.

I'd like to preface that these neutral game ideas are definitely geared for a lower level player, though they definitely constitute the backbone of a high level neutral.

//----------//

First when playing against Marth, you have to get over one major misconception and accept this idea: Falco wins the neutral game. Lasers totally challenge Marth's strongest tool, his ground movement. Lasers stuff both defensive dashbacks and aggressive approaching nairs. The more you laser approach, the more Marth will be locked in shield. This is Falco's time to shine. The bird excels at shield pressure and using grab against Marth is a surprisingly good option. Though Marth's tools in shield are potentially effective, they are limited and easily baited out. Most Marths you encounter will roll in, fair or up-b OoS, all of which can be reduced to a predictable 50/50 if you catch onto the swordie's habits. Sometimes, fast lasers into a cornered Marth can act as solid corner pressure rather than always committing to Westballz pressure or other aggressive shield pressure.

The most important part of the laser approach is mixing up when you actually go in with your non-laser approach. If you laser -> laser -> nair, you're probably going to get messed up. Instead, if you laser-> laser -> dashback into another mixup, you can bait out Marth to panic approach or whiff an OoS option. The point of a mixup is that it could be anything... you could go in for the "scrubby" sh nair, or you could go in for laser-grab, or just stand still! The key to getting Marth to be scared is lasering/dashing right outside his sh-fair range. If he wd's or rolls back, just laser again and take the free stage position he gave you.

Marth is very good at capitalizing on Falco's mistakes, so it's better to play safe and solid rather than freak out and be on the offensive 24/7. Go for low/late aerials that allow for better shine timing. These low/late aerials also make it very hard to Marth to predict when you're going to hit him, limiting sh aerial and movement OoS options.

All in all, the basic gameplan is to laser approach and pressure respectfully, while being mindful of the Marth's preferred OoS options. This can lead to your opponent feeling very frustrated and often playing worse the better that you play.

//----------//

When it comes to your mentality against Marth, you just gotta let it go. You're gonna get messed up. You're gonna get 0 to deathed once in a while. Good and shifting DI can help limit that. You're gonna get thrown off the stage and gimped once in a while. Staying calm and up-b mixups can make Marth feel insecure in his edgeguard ability. The only way to win this matchup is to not get upset... something that has taken me almost a year to get over. It's easy to say "he just kills me every time!" or "Marth is such a dumb character." Ultimately, it is your fault that you died. You are the arbiter of your own melee career, and you are the one with your hands on the controller. Once you accept that, you can get over losing and get on to getting better.

I often say outloud, "that was bad of me" after getting shield grab in some mindless approach. Though this might seem silly, it does three things. It engraves that it was my fault that I'm getting punished, it makes me accept that now I'm getting slapped around (thus making me less upset about taking 90), and it makes a mental note that I shouldn't approach so recklessly again. You need all the help you can get to be good at melee, so don't make yourself an enemy by deflecting the blame. At the same time, give yourself some leeway to learn and make mistakes. You don't get good day one. Focus on your personal growth, not on how often you beat your opponent. In friendlies, make it your goal to outwit your opponent with your own developed skill...let beating him into the dirt be a secondary goal.

I hope these notes can serve as an aid to all aspiring birds and a refresher for long time players. So go. Get to dairing those high-recovering baddies. And feel free to ask any questions about the matchup or list your own notes below. I think it's important to talk about the mental framework, gameplan and concepts of a matchup.

Top Bottom