• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approach options?

❤ Nikodemus05

Zero Skill Spamus
NNID
Nikodemus05
3DS FC
3952-7737-9671
What do you guys approach with? I usually approach with a homing and smash missle on platform stages, and a short hopped smash missle on flat stages. I also approach with a wavedash into f tilt, jab, and I use dash attack.

cisyphus

Smash Ace
Dash forward wavedash back. Also wavedash forward wavedash back.

Oh this is PM. Super Wavedash of course.

Last edited:

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I've always been a fan of pick-up lines.

(I could probably say more about how approaches are a myth, but I've had this argument too many times)

Last edited:

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
Boost Ball, a well placed ZAir and Wave Dashing behind missles is what I use to approach and they work very well.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Sometimes, I like to shoot a super missile, run behind it a little, and then jump so that I will land on or very close to the opponent. If they jump, then I can stuff them with nair (or ice fair). If they shield or attack the missile, then I have a mix-up on my landing:
  1. Aerial - I prefer dair since it's +1 on block and easy to combo off of on-hit, but nair and fair are both also decent choices as long as they're low enough.
  2. 'Tomahawk' - It's not a real empty hop into grab (unless you'd want to go for the super hard read), but it's basically empty hop into shield pressure. You land out of the opponent's grab range, but within your own jab/tilt range and prepare to pressure and/or stuff OoS options.
I like to do this a lot more against spacees, if I have room to shoot the missile safely, because they tend to try to shine projectiles back at me. However, shine reflection has 20 frames (IIRC) of induced lag, so it's a free attack. I very rarely miss punishes on predicted reflections when I preemptively jump like this.

I'm thinking at some point I should try mixing bomb pressure into this strategy.

Edit: Oh yeah, against spacees in particular, I mix up jumping and just running behind the missile. The thing is, if a spacee shines a missile back at Samus, she can just DA through it. The attacks clank and Samus' DA momentum is partially transferred to her, so it's another free in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom