• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Appreciate Non-Playable Characters Roles in Smash

nonplayable.jpg

Fans of Super Smash Bros. consider playable characters to be the hallmark of a Smash game. In midst of all the hype playable characters receive, those who earn non-playable roles are often met with disappointments, if not scorn, since it’s often not the role the fans wanted. These roles highlight important parts of Nintendo history and give non-playable characters mainstream exposure they otherwise wouldn’t have.

Non-playable characters come in all shapes and sizes, be it Pokéballs, background characters, Assist Trophies or stage bosses. While you can’t control them, characters like Saki Amamiya and Scizor deal a significant amount of damage to your opponents. Others, like Goldeen and Starfy, tease the fighter that unleashed them by being useless. They may seem unimportant at first, especially to competitive gaming, but it would be foolish to diminish the role they play in Smash.

In the first game, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 64, Pokéballs represent the concept of trainers capturing Pokémon in a ball in order to battle against other trainers. While Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has nine playable Pokémon so far, they do not adequately represent the franchise’s diversity. With Pokéballs, Pokémon of all types, be they Legendary, Mystical, or even jokes throw themselves into the ring and change the battlefield for a few seconds. Having Palkia in Ultimate changes the dynamic of a stage by turning it upside down is a sight to behold. As the world’s biggest media franchise, Pokémon deserves all of its Smash contents. Yet, Nintendo would do themselves a disservice if they ignored their non-mainstream franchises.

Assist Trophies (ATs) showcase important parts of Nintendo or gaming history they can’t make playable. Introduced in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, they were the biggest item debut of that game, featuring characters from various different franchises, unlike Pokéballs that focused on one. Like Pokéballs, the fighter must activate the AT to see who will help them fight against other opponents. Obscure characters are also more favored for joining the battle. For example, Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U introduced the titular protagonist of Sheriff as an AT role, representing one of the earliest Nintendo games. It’s a neat insight into what Nintendo was like before Donkey Kong came and revolutionized the gaming industry.

hqdefault.jpg

Non-playable roles can also give franchises like Bomberman exposure to their games. At the time of the first design document proposal in December 2015, the franchise was on hiatus with no foreseeable future. While Super Bomberman R released at the Nintendo Switch’s launch last year in March, it was likely too late to influence Sakurai’s character decisions. Instead, Bomberman fights alongside other playable characters for a short time as an AT. His trademark use of bombs, his bomb kick, and remote bombs provide a taste of his fighting potential as he zips across the stage, blasting the competition.

Sakurai gave him a lot of attention, discussing what he can do as an AT in the monumental Ultimate trailer and a feature in @SmashBrosJP’s Today’s Memory briefly discussing the start of his gaming history. Jamesman provided an amazing comic that puts his AT status in a good light. One thing is for certain, Bomberman is not forgotten and neither are other ATs. It’s also a respectful tribute to Shoji Mizuno, Bomberman’s modern designer who sadly died before finding out Bomberman’s AT role. I’m sure if there’s an afterlife, he’s happy that Bomberman’s legacy lives on.

Of course, we can’t have a non-playable character article without addressing the elephant in the room — Ridley. In spite of his thunderous debut as a playable character in Ultimate — one well deserved — he has been in Smash through other roles since the beginning. He started in Smash 64 as a background character in the Planet Zebes stage. In E3 2001’s Super Smash Bros. Melee trailer, he was seen fighting Samus Aran, convincing the audience that he was a playable character. Later in Brawl, he was one of many bosses in the Subspace Emissary alongside his Meta-Ridley form, Porky, Rayquaza, and Petey Piranha. While he was absent from Smash 3DS, Smash Wii U promoted him to stage hazard in the Pyrosphere stage, sharing many characteristics of a playable character, including having stocks. Each game elevated him to a larger non-playable role, which is largely responsible for spawning the infamous “Too Big” meme that Sakurai would later poke fun at in the tag line to his playable debut “Ridley HIts The Big Time!” Ridley's representation in Smash is a fascinating retrospective.

While they’re not playable now, being in a non-playable role does not doom characters from being playable in the next game. Already, Charizard, Little Mac, Villager, and Ridley made the transition from non-playable to playable. It shows, especially with popular characters, that rejection is not permanent, and that mainstream exposure can help gain traction for making them playable in the next game. Even if not, being heavily acknowledged in one of the biggest gaming franchise is a win by itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

We should all be grateful that the characters we wanted playable but are ATs are atleast in Smash Bros physically (as in they can fight/help out the fighters during gameplay)

D
I am happy Solgaleo and Lunala got love, as well as Bomberman. Sure Bomberman was dumped as a fighter, but at least he got something.

I am happy Solgaleo and Lunala got love, as well as Bomberman. Sure Bomberman was dumped as a fighter, but at least he got something.
Same. Solgaleo is actually one of my favorite Pokemon, along w/ Lunala. NPC's have so many awesome roles in Smash.

Last edited:
D
I’m just glad we have some Bomberman and Sukapon representation.
I'm still holding out a tiny bit of hope that we might get Bomberman music somehow.

As for representation, I was particularly happy about Sukapon getting in since I never expected him to show up outside a trophy at all.

My issue with assist trophies is that potential playables are reduced to cameos. Now, when they were first introduced, characters like the Hammer Bro were ideal for the role. Excitebiker, the Wars Troops, Waluigi, all good picks. However, I noticed that Samurai Goroh was also regulated to that role. It took a while to see it from the other perspective, but Goroh is more or less the second most important character in F-Zero. And this is where I have to warn you that everything said here is speculative, but notable if you look deep enough. I felt that during Brawl's project plan, Sakurai decided to put priority towards 3rd parties and take Smash in a different direction. Snake at the time was that character, then Sonic. At the time, I understand that time constraints were a likely reason that assist trophies became a thing and some characters were demoted to that role, but by Smash For, something changed. Relevancy became a thing and suddenly characters who may have been playable during Melee and even Brawl's timeframe are now no longer viable due to relevancy or 'reasons'.

Smash For's marketing and push for 'recent' characters hamstrung the overall roster and potential it held with more characters that were assists (Takamaru, the Frog Bell protag, the Zelda AT's) who could have been playable, and with the general imbalance and maldistribution of characters from certain series, the roster itself is very erratic with the amount of 3rd parties that were added whom I feel take spots away from actual Nintendo characters and I never liked the push for a video game celebration when Nintendo has enough characters to not dip into outside IP's too much. I felt Sakurai's departure from HAL and his obligation to return to Smash may have drove him to take a change to what Smash was known for, and while some people are content with Smash as it is, I feel that in hindsight, Brawl's addition of Snake and Sonic led to a dangerous precedent where 3rd parties are pushed over Nintendo characters who the fans will know from their respective titles because of something as trivial as relevancy when Smash makes games happen. If a character appears in Smash as a playable, they're likely to get something from it in the future. Look at Fire Emblem. Melee pushed it to newfound heights. Why can't that happen for Stafy or Custom Robo? Kid Icarus received a critically-acclaimed title due to Pit's addition and netted the IP two more reps and a lot of representation in Smash For, though that was on Sakurai directing the game too.

I feel Assist Trophies should be reserved for enemies, supporting characters to some extent and massive bosses. Even Bomberman who I was angry over being made into a cameo fits nicely considering his situation (He should have been in Brawl over Snake). When you put more popular characters and even protagonists in those roles, you hinder future roster potential. I wish Sakurai wasn't the sole decider for the playable roster, a lot of potential was squandered away due one man's personal taste.

With that said, the Pokeball options do not bother me one bit. As a Pokemon fan, I'm satisfied with the current picks, though Gen I has too much representation.

I can't appreciate non-playable roles, only because of how I see the roster as it is now.

My issue with assist trophies is that potential playables are reduced to cameos.
Which I wholeheartedly agree with. There are some characters that are just born for it (Hammer Bro, Andross, Nintendogs, etc.), but it just grinds my gears looking at some others that pretty much had a shot but becomes invalidate because it's "too late" or "too excessive" to the reps of the roster, especially after 3rd parties scoops in to make that idea even harder.

As some may/may not know, I'm quite an avid Midna fan for a long time (12+ years) and the millisecond she wasn't in Brawl as a playable character and becomes an AT in Smash 4, I'm pretty much given up on the thought because, like Waluigi, she's just destined to AT hell forever. Like, why do I wanna beat up a character I like? Will she even show up when I use the AT item? And yeah, I can turn it off in Multiplayer, but does not do a damn thing when you're in Single Player mode and might have a chance of this happening. What hurts me even more is Bomberman...Bomberman joining this hell group. Like, he's still popular and active in the gaming world and would be a shoe-in for this game. Like, does he not look at the games or something to get ideas or anyone else scouting it? Literally, half the trailer I was thinking of those two the hardest because I was so furious. And then I look at comments like these and want to do very not-so-nice things to it:

We should all be grateful that the characters we wanted playable but are ATs are atleast in Smash Bros physically (as in they can fight/help out the fighters during gameplay)
So I'm paying for a $60 game, that have me beat up my two, lifetime favorite characters that will barely put up a fight (it's not going to be hard people, it really won't be), but will never be limited outside of multiplayer modes? It's moments like these is where I'm not sure if I want to buy this game. It's just getting to the point I'm not happy. The first two games felt like it wasn't this bad because it was Nintendo characters, gameplay and fun. Ever since ATs been introduced and 3rd parties taking names in Brawl, its been nothing more than a painful reminder of the impossible staying impossible. And if that's the case, then the guy can keep his game. Yeah, I may sound selfish and ungrateful, but I guess I can't be human if I don't question my sanity on buying something I won't like.

At least the Squid Sisters are cute in this game...

Last edited:
Which I wholeheartedly agree with. There are some characters that are just born for it (Hammer Bro, Andross, Nintendogs, etc.), but it just grinds my gears looking at some others that pretty much had a shot but becomes invalidate because it's "too late" or "too excessive" to the reps of the roster, especially after 3rd parties scoops in to make that idea even harder.

As some may/may not know, I'm quite an avid Midna fan for a long time (12+ years) and the millisecond she wasn't in Brawl as a playable character and becomes an AT in Smash 4, I'm pretty much given up on the thought because, like Waluigi, she's just destined to AT hell forever. Like, why do I wanna beat up a character I like? Will she even show up when I use the AT item? And yeah, I can turn it off in Multiplayer, but does not do a damn thing when you're in Single Player mode and might have a chance of this happening. What hurts me even more is Bomberman...Bomberman joining this hell group. Like, he's still popular and active in the gaming world and would be a shoe-in for this game. Like, does he not look at the games or something to get ideas or anyone else scouting it? Literally, half the trailer I was thinking of those two the hardest because I was so furious. And then I look at comments like these and want to do very not-so-nice things to it:

So I'm paying for a $60 game, that have me beat up my two, lifetime favorite characters that will barely put up a fight (it's not going to be hard people, it really won't be), but will never be limited outside of multiplayer modes? It's moments like these is where I'm not sure if I want to buy this game. It's just getting to the point I'm not happy. The first two games felt like it wasn't this bad because it was Nintendo characters, gameplay and fun. Ever since ATs been introduced and 3rd parties taking names in Brawl, its been nothing more than a painful reminder of the impossible staying impossible. And if that's the case, then the guy can keep his game. Yeah, I may sound selfish and ungrateful, but I guess I can't be human if I don't question my sanity on buying something I won't like.

At least the Squid Sisters are cute in this game...
TBF, it’s better to be an assist trophy/Pokéball character than to not being in the game at all

I love Assist Trophies. It's always nice to see all these weird and interesting characters appear during battle, and it can really make a fight seem more lively.

I'm really glad that they were added.

D
My feelings for assist trophies really depend on how they're implemented

For example, Waluigi and Ghirahim, they just run around and hit you. they don't really stick out or seem interesting, despite being some of the most interesting characters among the assist trophy bunch.

Things like Lyn, Isaac, or Andross, those ones are actually unique and implemented in a way that the player can see or care about them.
I was actually excited to see the Burrowing Snagret this time around, it should be really fun to take photos in the game and punch him with Ganondorf.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Appreciate Non-Playable Characters Roles in Smash."

I remember being a fan of Starfy back in late 2000s, and kind of hoped to see him in Smash Bros. someday around Brawl's speculation era.

Nowadays I just despise the guy as years kept piling on him being now relegated to a Goldeen after TOSE couldn't market the character anymore.

I wonder why.

I also was fan of Chrom, and didn't mind his NPC-role at first in the Sm4sh.

Alas:

And I'm not even alone with this kind of history:

TL;DR: The way Smash Bros. has kept on portraying it's NPC-roles has slowly kept on growing into pretty demeaning and ridiculing at times for some reason, making it seem like the NPC-role not that great to celebrate about actually, and turns it more into a controversial part of the series rather than something most fans can honestly enjoy. This has also had inadvertent effect of turning these characters either to too irrelevant kind of characters for regular fans to care about, worsening their potential for new market (Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Sin & Punishment, Starfy, Punch-Out if it didn't make it to Smash 4, etc), or become big memetic losers in the gaming community, which Nintendo eventually will adopt, much like seen above.

I personally believe they should have stayed just kept on Pokeballs for summons, because they can't be given ire enough to send them to ridiculed meme status or complete irrelevancy. Also enemies for Assist Trophies if we really needed them that bad.

Anyway, as I said:

According to Sakurai, being an NPC in Smash Bros apparently IS a derogatory role compared to being a playable character.

And given how highly influential the series is, it has potential to kill you forever as much as it can revive series or boost character marketability. That's really been great for certain series and characters I used to love - especially less mainstream ones like Golden Sun or Starfy, for personal matter.

Last edited:
Perhaps the worst aspect of the Assist Trophy or Pokeball is not that your favorite character is a NPC, but that there's a good chance you won't even see them in at all! Assists are entirely random. For those who want to see Bomberman in appear in a match will just have to get lucky that the Assist Trophy summons him and not a Nintendog. There's also the fact that they are only there for a few seconds.
So not only can you not play as this guy, but he might not even show up, and if he does it's only for a breif moment. Sounds awful honestly. I wish there was a better way to impliment these NPCs.

Last edited:
It really depends; for characters like Sukapon, while I would have liked them as playable, simply seeing them finally get acknowledged for so long, and return and make an appearance in Smash has me content. Even when characters like Bomberman and such while they'd have much more material and are a lot more iconic, didn't make it, it's at least nice to finally see them acknowledged. Although I can see others feeling worse, this is his quite overdue debut in the series among other 3rd party choices.

However, with characters like Meowth, who have been a Pokeball since 64 (Trophy in Melee, albeit a rad one) they've been long overdue for a playable role, getting the typical "They're a pokeball at least be happy about that" message is beyond unsatisfying from others, especially if someone like Jigglypuff who is much less relevant to the series and represents the same thing gets a free pass for "Being in since the original" even though it was considered to get cut a few times, note I love Jigglypuff and she is my main whenever I want to play casually, but this mentality is pure anti Meowth bias I feel. It's not that I don't want appreciate them...but when I keep being met with a "Stop discussing Meowth in Smash he's a Pokeball" for every single game, that really leaves much to be desired even though we all know the reason he managed to be one is because he's such a huge icon for the Pokemon series to begin with, even the Brawl Dojo calls him one of the most famous Pokemon.

So that is why I have finally decided that no matter if he's a Pokeball role or not, I'm going to start becoming more vocal about it, I really am tired of people dropping discussion for him simply because he's an Assist role yet again even though he only is due to how iconic he is similar to Ridley's boss roles, who people didn't stop discussing entirely just because he had a bossesque role twice, and eventually we got :ultridley:. Of course i want to keep in a tasteful manner but there's a big reason I am unsatisfied with him as a Pokeball Pokemon.
Although obviously not for the base game, this would be for DLC or likely the next game, but even if it's for the next game that won't stop me from supporting and discussing the concept.

Tell that to Toad and Meowth. :crying:

20 years and they are still not playable.
Don't get me wrong on this, Toad is long overdue for Smash but I'd say Meowth is even more overdue considering Toad would need the four main cast in first (:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser:) while Meowth could easily fit right after :ultpikachu: (though with :ultjigglypuff: in you might want to rep other aspect of the series a bit before adding him).

Last edited:
I think people would appreciate AT characters more if we had an actually good assist system. As it is now, you pick up a randomly spawning item and get a completely random character. I'd love for Smash to adopt a system where you select an AT who can be called to quickly perform a move in battle, which would have to be limited by a meter or cooldown or something. You could even prevent your opponent from using assists for a while if you KO their AT.

So many people are angry over characters that can be playable are in assist roles don't understand they are Assist Trophies because they aren't playable, not vice versa.

TBF, it’s better to be an assist trophy/Pokéball character than to not being in the game at all
It really isn't since they're pretty much stuck there like Waluigi and Lyn now. Yeah Little Mac got in, but he had his own series going for him and the stars aligned for him. Ridley got in due to a very low amount of Metroid reps but was always considered every game by the fans. Apparently at this rate, you need a huge reason to get in. And if that's the case, then I prefer them as trophies. If you can't put them playable 100%, then I prefer for them to be not in at all. To me, it screams lazy or filler content that could be put in for something else. It's just a waste of time and brings out the worst in some people.

Don't care about Pokemon though. With 800+ to choose from, it's better to be Ball'd instead.

Last edited:
I'll never appreciate good characters that should've had a shot, becoming an AT. Bomberman shouldn't be grateful for the "exposure" he's a well-known gaming icon being reduced to a punching bag. Playable representation is the only worthy exposure, being an AT makes many think the character wasn't worth it in the first place. It almost completely ruins their chances in the future, and can seriously damage the reputation of the character in the long-term, see Starfy for reference. How is this beneficial?

Assist Trophies should only be depth characters and giant bosses. Hammer Bros makes sense. Nightmare makes sense. Bomberman, Starfy, Krystal, Waluigi, Midna, Skull Kid, (I can go on) are poor choices for AT's and insulting to the fans that love and supported them, and sometimes even the series as a whole.

It really isn't since they're pretty much stuck there like Waluigi and Lyn now. Yeah Little Mac got in, but he had his own series going for him and the stars aligned for him. Ridley got in due to a very low amount of Metroid reps but was always considered every game by the fans. Apparently at this rate, you need a huge reason to get in. And if that's the case, then I prefer them as trophies. If you can't put them playable 100%, then I prefer for them to be not in at all. To me, it screams lazy or filler content that could be put in for something else. It's just a waste of time and brings out the worst in some people.

Don't care about Pokemon though. With 800+ to choose from, it's better to be Ball'd instead.
So you would rather an assist trophy character not get any sort of love in Smash due to not being playable (with only a trophy...or sticker...to spare)? As for the “worst in people part”, that’s only occurred with Waluigi and Ridley fans (with Ridley actually deserving of a spot since Melee...and didn’t get in due to a low amount of Metroid reps, but due to being extremely popular in the west and being one of the few Nintendo Iconic as well as villainous left)

And I’m just gonna ignore that reverse logic for Pokémon

way I see it, I view SOME Assist Trophies as sort of in a tryouts phase in a sense... now, this is a bit abstract, so hear me out...

there's more than a few character that appeared as ATs that I either only heard by name or not at all... some examples off the top of my head being Saki (from Sin&Punishment, Brawl only), the Custom Robo (also from Brawl only), or Little Mac (I've heard of Punch Out in the past , but didn't think much of it until then). so when those fighters appeared and had some decent moves, i glanced at their trophy and then their source material, and while I didn't think much of Mac, i did feel having a straight up boxer might be interesting. Saki came from an obscure on-rails shooter, but beyond slashing and shooting, there wasn't a whole lot to go on since he didn't appear in the sequel. the Custom Robo games have quite a selection of options that a moveset could be drawn from, but the franchise as a whole didn't see much revival after their cameo in Brawl... which is very different from how Pit turned out.

as The Slayer The Slayer (and possibly a few others) said before, Mac had the benefit of the Punch Out!! Wii game becoming popular for his series to give him a spotlight for demand, which was reinforced with his AT status in Brawl... and, IMO, because boxing is a real sport, there's more than enough material to build up someone from that same background, even if it isn't from Punch Out, cause there's bound to be a couple of different methods of boxing Mac could draw from.

Waluigi has memetic status... but beyond the Mario Party/Sports games and DDR Mario mix, he is sort of in the same boat as Saki, in that he doesn't have a whole lot to draw from for a moveset... not really. the Custom Robo might have turned out interesting, but not enough people seemed to care too much for them.

now for Bomberman's case in particular, he has quite a lot available to draw from. hell, I could make my own rough draft using my favorite N64 game in particular (and it's NOT BOMBERMAN HERO, EITHER) but considering Super Bomberman R seems to have been a bit of a half-hearted build beyond the standard multiplayer, only time will tell if his being in Ultimate gives him a shot to make something boom out of that exposure...

I do appreciate Assist Trophies and the like a lot! Even if they couldn't be playable, them being there at all and actually doing something of note is admirable. Since I'm still fond of the item free-for-alls that Smash is famous for, assist trophies were always one of my favorite items for that reason.

~ Valkyrie ~ ~ Valkyrie ~ Well done. You said it better than I could have ever did. You mentioned a specific point that I'll get into.
"This has also had inadvertent effect of turning these characters either to too irrelevant kind of characters for regular fans to care about, worsening their potential for new market (Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Sin & Punishment, Starfy, Punch-Out if it didn't make it to Smash 4, etc), or become big memetic losers in the gaming community, which Nintendo eventually will adopt, much like seen above."

And this especially:

"And given how highly influential the series is, it has potential to kill you forever as much as it can revive series or boost character marketability."

I don't think Sakurai realizes how big Smash has become. It's not that quirky little game with Mario, DK and Pikachu fighting each other anymore, it's a massive marketing tool and his stance on characters is misled when it happens the opposite way: Smash can MAKE games happen and solidify a character's role in their respective IP's. And on that note, I think he DOES know that Smash can do that, and it doesn't help that fans tend to parrot and mirror his statements if not outright skewering them to their liking. Look at Ridley, after ten years of that too big meme he's finally playable and the response from the naysayers has been some of the best examples of defeat I've ever seen, so much that they have to go to other characters now to continue their bile. Stafy, I've liked for a while now. I even brought his fifth and final game when it released in NA and Smash had nothing to do with that purchase, I wanted to buy it because why not? What's worse, Smash is so influential that it can change the public's view on a character or series entirely. Wario will never go back to his classic role as a treasure hunter and instead continue to go on as a caricature of his former self, ironically starting off AS a caricature. Shake It! was the last time you saw classic Wario and even the director knew the way Smash portrayed him was harmful. Complaining isn't going to change a thing, the roster was set in stone long ago and whoever doesn't make it to this game as a playable never will. Again, one man's personal bias has potentially ruined and helped certain IP's and I feel he knows full well what he's doing. If only the current president of Nintendo could crack the whip on him the way he intends to do so with Miyamoto.

Shoutout to The Slayer The Slayer as well. There's nothing wrong with criticism. You're getting critiqued as is.

According to Sakurai, being an NPC in Smash Bros apparently IS a derogatory role compared to being a playable character.
This is why it really hurt when Sakurai disconfirmed Toad twice in SSB4 with these two Pics of the Day.

1533077326860.png

1533077351086.png

And this... is my consolation prize?

1533078126868.png

1533078160406.png

1533078210166.png

And I was salty AF when Meowth finally came back in Brawl... as a Pokeball Pokémon.

"Meowth. It’s considered a major Pokémon, but it did not show up in Melee. It now makes its first appearance since the original Smash Bros."

Imagine how hyped everyone would be if Meowth finally came back in Brawl after skipping Melee... as a playable fighter?!

Oh, and look. Sakurai acknowledged in the Brawl Dojo that Meowth is "considered a major Pokémon".

Honestly. Toad and Meowth were robbed!

#JusticeForToad

#JusticeForMeowth

I appreciate how assist trophies gives lower priority characters a chance to have some sort of notable representation when they didn't quite make the cut.

However the problem isn't that NPCs are in the game it's that <insert character I wanted to play as because I thought they would've been 1000x more fun as a playable character than just an item> is relegated to an assist trophy when they not only have great potential as a fighter but also hold enough notoriety amoung fans to warrant being a playable fighter in Smash's roster.

Assist trophies are also very bittersweet in that sense that the character is in the game, sure; but in the game as part of a feature I (and several other players) rarely ever use, as well as the chances of getting the item to get said character, plus the chances of even encountering said character, and finally the very limited amount of time said character is even on the stage after they are summoned (which can be shortened if they are knocked out by an opponent) which makes it very hard to actually appreciate the character's appearance in that sense.

With all that said, I can kinda forgive the inclination this time around due to the heavy focus on bringing back returning veterans over newcomers which makes a lot of key characters lower priority than they would've been. But even still the idea that because they are essentially designated as summons makes their possible inclusion later on as possible DLC a lot less likely...

So you would rather an assist trophy character not get any sort of love in Smash due to not being playable (with only a trophy...or sticker...to spare)? As for the “worst in people part”, that’s only occurred with Waluigi and Ridley fans (with Ridley actually deserving of a spot since Melee...and didn’t get in due to a low amount of Metroid reps, but due to being extremely popular in the west and being one of the few Nintendo Iconic as well as villainous left)

And I’m just gonna ignore that reverse logic for Pokémon
Well, how would you decide to filter out 800 Pokemon into one game, more so as playable? Yeah, there are some popular ones that stand out and they did it with Pokken, but I doubt it'll be just a simple task with a different game.

I would still say Metroid reps was still relatively low anyways (legitmately 2, but I really look at it as one character as a whole, even more so in Brawl). Even then, it's not going to stop with those two by a long shot. As the series goes on and he does it again with Waluigi and the rest with newer ones, it'll be just as bad or worse. But seriously, I would love him to choose a different direction with ATs or not include them at all to focus more on fine tuning the game. Otherwise it's just staining potential characters' chances/credibility and make some of their fans miserable or turned off from the series because of it.

I honestly don't like it when a character gets in the game as some sort of assist (Assist Trophy or Pokémon), and almost everyone grieves, as if that is the worst role any character could get. I think of characters like Lyn and Shadow, in which people don't want to see as Assist Trophies, which is fine, but it carries over into characters who people feel can have a moveset made easily.

It gets me stuck wondering what characters could be added as some form of assist without people upset (perhaps characters who just have no chance, like Pong).

I am not saying characters like Lyn and Shadow do not deserve a chance, but literally every character that matters seems to have to be a playable character, according to some.

If my wording sounds off to anybody reading this, then questions are fine.

Well, how would you decide to filter out 800 Pokemon into one game, more so as playable? Yeah, there are some popular ones that stand out and they did it with Pokken, but I doubt it'll be just a simple task with a different game.

I would still say Metroid reps was still relatively low anyways (legitmately 2, but I really look at it as one character as a whole, even more so in Brawl). Even then, it's not going to stop with those two by a long shot. As the series goes on and he does it again with Waluigi and the rest with newer ones, it'll be just as bad or worse. But seriously, I would love him to choose a different direction with ATs or not include them at all to focus more on fine tuning the game. Otherwise it's just staining potential characters' chances/credibility and make some of their fans miserable or turned off from the series because of it.
Excluding playability status for the Pokémon, make some stage bosses and others background characters (interactive or not, wouldn’t matter too much), while making whoever the Pokémon Company and Game Freak want to push as a top new player as a Smash fighter.

Metroid rep wise, the only acceptable ones besides Ridley are Dark Samus and Sylux...then there’s Kraid, Anthony, Adam, and the Federation Force people (most people hate, one underrated, and then there’s one who’s even larger than Ridley).

As for any remaining characters (ATs specifically), Sakurai doesn’t find them to have a full moveset potential yet (Lyn)/ever(Waluigi), aren’t as popular (or known at all like Prince Sable), or aren’t much for violence (Isabelle specifically)...but he still thinks they’re deserving of a physical Smash appearance other than a simple trophy. A different direction for the future wouldn’t be bad, but for now it’s not terrible to not miss out on Smash...also no matter what they do, Smash will be unable to turn off fans or anyone interested in Smash.

I'd rather have my most wanted characters not be in the game at all instead of being assist trophies. At least then they could always have a shot at DLC instead of sitting quietly in the NEVER EVER corner.

My appreciation for assist trophies doesn't come naturally. If I sit down and try to, sure... but my game is the competitive world, can't help but not care to much about em. Same can be said about Final Smashes, very much a sideline interest.

Aalso no matter what they do, Smash will be unable to turn off fans or anyone interested in Smash.

Well duh, the game is center around new people to play this game no matter how long-standing some people are to this series. So it’s pretty much SOL for people like me who want something original or not RNG-heavy instead of them looking for higher profit. Would love to be in a slightly altered universe where this is not the case but the reality of this problem is ever staying. Life is pain I guess. But yeah, I guess i’ll keep my 60 dollars then. I’m not going to play a game that’s pretty much a hidden loot box to beat the crap out of my favorite characters in purgatory. Not this time.

Last edited:
Well duh, the game is center around new people to play this game no matter how long-standing some people are to this series. So it’s pretty much SOL for people like me who want something original or not RNG-heavy instead of them looking for higher profit. Would love to be in a slightly altered universe where this is not the case but the reality of this problem is ever staying. Life is pain I guess. But yeah, I guess i’ll keep my 60 dollars then. I’m not going to play a game that’s pretty much a hidden loot box to beat the crap out of my favorite characters in purgatory. Not this time.
Guess you’ll miss on on a game millions will enjoy (and I wouldn’t go so far as to call Smash a hidden lootbox since there’s nothing lootbox like about it)

Last edited:
Yeah exactly WaddleKing.

Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach and Bowser are the 4 pillars of the Super Mario series. No matter what, these characters hold the franchise together and anything else is extra.

Donkey Kong, Yoshi and Wario each represent their own series and hold it down very well (Wario could use some work)

Pokemon is very similar.
Pikach like Mario is the face of the franchise and is 2nd in popularity worldwide to him.

Meowth, Pokemon Trainer (Ash Ketchum) and Mewtwo, along with Pikachu in my opinion are the 4 pillars of Pokemon.
No matter how you slice it that's the way it is, they're all connected.

Last edited:
Smash makes games happen. If a character appears in Smash as a playable, they're likely to get something from it in the future. Look at Fire Emblem. Melee pushed it to newfound heights. Why can't that happen for Stafy or Custom Robo? Kid Icarus received a critically-acclaimed title due to Pit's addition and netted the IP two more reps and a lot of representation in Smash For, though that was on Sakurai directing the game too.
Here's what interests me. Despite the fact that Little Mac, Saki and Starfy were assist trophies in Brawl, we actually managed to get a new Punch-Out and Sin & Punishment, as well as Starfy's game getting localized.

Also, Captain Falcon and Ness have been in every Smash game, and we still don't have a new F-Zero or Earthbound.

Last edited:
Top Bottom