• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Applying Thrust to Aerial Attacks : The Rising Nair

ZelgadisA027123

Smash Cadet
First off, be sure to check out TOMMY's and Eaode's ROB guides, which I'm sure you already have.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=143989
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=152866

I've been playing ROB competitively (or as close as we can come at this point), and I've come up with an interesting technique using ROB's up+B offensively. We all know that his up+B can be cancelled into aerials, and I'm sure many people have noticed that you can even continue using your thrust even while doing attacks. All you have to do is keep holding up while C-sticking your aerials (You can also hold B and do your aerials, helpful for the nair)

This can be put to some obvious creative uses - most notably for his attacks that use the thruster as the weapon (nair, bair, dair). The latter two of these are very obviously telegraphed, as your air momentum is cancelled immediately preceding the attack. If you continue putting thrust into them, though, they are much harder to read. His dair shows very little air stalling, and even the flaring of the thrusters (during the attack) is hidden by the thrust of the up+B. This makes it a nice technique to try against edgeguarding opponents, or when you are edgeguarding particularly low. His bair, when up+B thrust is applied, moves him in a diagonal, with less air stalling.

These two previous uses probably came as no surprise. Lolz, I can up+B and attack?? But what I'd like to direct your attention to, is ROB's nair. Sure, you can nair. You can even nair, and fastfall it, increasing the overall area that is hit by the attack. With this technique, though, I present to you the Rising Nair. From an up+B, continue holding B to get thrust, and do a nair. ROB's nair begins at a diagonal low and in front of him, and then swoops around behind him to cover his top and front. The fact that the top (and especially the diagonal at the front-top) is the last area to be hit is important - you will be hitting above you when you are at about the highest during this attack.

This technique can be varied slightly based on when you apply thrust. Because the top is the LAST area you hit, if you stall before you begin the attack, your upwards momentum will increase a nice amount by the time you are hitting above you, giving the nair more of a swooping look, and making it harder for your opponent to react and air dodge out of the way. This variant can be done by doing your up+B, letting the stick go neutral, initiating your nair, and then jamming up to regain thrust. I prefer this method, as it uses lest thrust and has a more awkward placement.

This technique isn't game-breaking by any means. What it does do, is give you more control over landing your hits, and make the placement on one of ROB's best kill moves that much harder to read (I find that the nair kills vertically at lower percents than I would get horizontally or diagonally). Whenever I get the opportunity to use this attack, it almost always nets me a kill. Keep in mind, though, that it only came up in about 1 of 3 matches. Either way, it's interesting to use the up+B offensively as well as defensively.

I'm not trying to name combos, I don't care what this technique is eventually called, or if it will even be good enough to be used. Hey, maybe someone on the ROB boards has already mentioned this, and I've just been wasting my time. All I know, is that my smash friends have come to fear the Rising Nair.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Very nice. I'm also starting to use the Up-B more offensively, and this is a great technique, because I often have trouble landing a Nair when I need to against quick opponents, plus: Coming up from a recovery with Nair = Too Good xD

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Very useful info. I did notice that you could continue the thruster during aerials but I didn't put 2 and 2 together.

ZelgadisA027123

Smash Cadet
Exactly. I'd been using this attack for a while, and my friends kept bugging me to claim it on smashboards. Also, I hadn't seen it mentioned in either of the two ROB guides. I could've just added it in as a comment, but I figured this way would get more attention, and then it could be added to their guides.

Kinlap

Smash Apprentice
I'll try this out later when I'm not actually trying to browser forums and study for midterms at the same time. This will let me chase people even more with ROB. ROB's B-UP is too amazing.

Top Bottom