• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Applications of Kirby's New Forward Throw

IGottaStick

Smash Cadet
So Kirby's new forward throw got changed, it does less damage and now throws opponents at a more upwards angle.
Now something that I loved about the old forward throw was that if you used it near the edge, facing the edge, with the opponent not being a small character, and at around 0%, you could follow it up with an Fair wall of pain to death (Yes I know that they could fastfall to avoid the first Fair, but you could read that and get off a Dair)

Now with the new throw, its still possible, just easier to escape the first Fair.
But now, you can combo it into Dair at low percents.

I've been testing a new low percent grab reset with Kirby where I would Dair> Grab> Fthrow>Repeat about 2-3 times and then Dair> UpTilt> and however you do your combo from there, most people use Uair, but I prefer Bair :p

Now a really exciting prospect to me was that on some character's at around 50-60 percent, I was able to Grab>Fthrow>footstool>stone, not sure if DI can avoid the footstool so I still need to do sometesting.

From around 15-30% you can get a "Guaranteed" (still need to test for DI) Uair out of Fthrow

From around 44-70% you can get a "Guaranteed" (still need to test for DI) Jump into Dair out of Fthrow

From around 35-81% you can get a "Guaranteed" (still need to test for DI) Uair out of Fthrow

All of these were tested with mario (Except for the footstool which sill needs testing, I discovered that on FG)

Oh yeah, and The New Forward Throw kills at 204% ;)

Hope this helps :kirby:

EDIT: THIS HAS A KILL COMBO BABY!
(Still need to test for DI)
Can "Guaranteed" combo into Upper Cutter custom from 0-134%
This combo kills at 112% BUT
If you input a jump right before using the upper cutter, it will kill at 106%

Also, this isn't really a combo but more of a read, but it is possible to hit your opponents with FThrow>Jump>Hammer Bash Custom from 61-82% But this is not guaranteed, I will update this again if I find anything else, please reply with your opinions and/or additonal findings! :kirby:

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
F-throw being a combo throw definitely helped his problems with approaching.

Also, Kirby has one of the better dash grabs in the game, glad it has a use. :)

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
These are a godsend for racking up damage. We were already great at damaging fast-falling characters, this makes things even better :p

FirstaLasto

Smash Cadet
From 0% against a level 9 Run Bowser in Training, i was able to deal 48% using
Fthrow -> Dair -> Fthrow -> Dair -> Fthrow -> Dair -> Pummel -> Fthrow -> Jump -> Fair
Can't get the last fair to link without throwing that pummel and that jump in there.

I've tested the top row of the 3DS CSS so far and for the most part it's 24% on floaty characters like Rosalina (one dair), 34% on Mario (two dairs), and 44% on large characters like Wario (3 dairs), with most requiring you to finish on a uair. Peach dodges the first dair entirely, but can be hit with fair for 17%.

EDIT: Tested the rest. Can do 40%+ on the majority of the cast. http://smashboards.com/threads/kirbys-1-10-buffs.412198/page-3#post-19804159

...I don't know about you, but this seems broken to me.

Last edited:

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Just to let you guys know, anyone with a fast aerial (like Yoshi, Luigi, etc...) or has a fast Up/Invincible Up B on startup completely negate this at 0%. LOL. However, for the Up B ones you can at least force a 50/50 guess or try and bait them.

TheDerp

Smash Cadet
Roses are Red, Violets are Red, Everything is Red.
NNID
DerpynessRules
Kirby's Fthrow is great for setting up a Jab lock, when your opponents at 18-19%(Haven't tested with higher)You can do Fthrow>Fair>Down Tilt (Lock). If you want to go crazy then you can do Nair when they get up and DownTilt again for another lock (If no tech for both options, you could tech chase if you know they'll tech though).
This doesn't work on light characters like Jigglypuff.

chrisall76

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chrisall76
3DS FC
2921-9185-8763
Want to note that fthrow > upB3 won't work (at least, near kill %) if the opponent DI's away. Still nice to have though.

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
Alright, testing things out a little bit, Forward Throw works best from percents that are <60%
I'll give my analysis on what I've been pulling off so far.
**All of these combos are easiest on characters with bigger hitboxes, as it takes more precise timing with small characters. If you main Kirby you already know this tho lol
  • From around 0 to 40% for characters who fastfall, they CAN BE CHAINGRABBED. The chaingrab is not automatically guaranteed, as your opponent (if they are competent) will try to change their DI and jumps to escape, but if you can try to read or react to what your opponent does, it's cake. :kirby: It's easiest to do with fastfallers, but it's possible against floaties, just more difficult. I would recommend stopping the chaingrab at the 30% range, even though it's possible to do until 40%, it becomes increasingly difficult.
  • For floaty characters, the chaingrab works around 0 to 30%.
  • Some characters like Mario and Luigi can Up-B out of the chaingrab at <10%
  • F-Throw becomes less optimal >65% for fastfallers, unless if you're at the edge of the stage, in which case, go for it.
  • F-Throw becomes less optimal >50% for floaties
  • F-Throw -> Nair works at about 65 to 70% on characters that fastfall, and have big/medium hitboxes, (Big = Bowser, DK, Ganon) Works to get your opponent into a position to be edgeguarded, or start another combo/KO with D-air/Nair.
  • F-Throw -> Nair works around 40 to 50% on floaties. Not recommended, since they can get knocked too far away to really do anything.
  • At mid percents, F-Throw -> Fair works to get your opponent offstage, but it isn't very optimal since they are high up and harder to edgeguard.
  • Instead of F-Throw after the percents where they are less optimal, use D-Throw to get some good percentage up.
  • At >90% on fastfallers, F-Throw is a good option to get your opponents offstage*
  • At >85% on floaties, F-Throw is a good option to get your opponents offstage*
*B-Throw works better IMO, but whatever floats your boat. F-Throw works just as good as B-Throw to throw them offstage in this situation, but if you use F-Throw combos during the match, your opponent may expect a follow up and get away from you.

Hope my info helps, and if I'm wrong somewhere please tell me! :kirbymelee::kirbymelee:

Last edited:

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
Only issue sadly is it seems Kirby's Fthrow has very little hitstun, so at around 40% people can just jump out, or DI, or both. This is definitely an amazing low % option, but sadly it isn't as good as everyone initially thought. :/

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
Only issue sadly is it seems Kirby's Fthrow has very little hitstun, so at around 40% people can just jump out, or DI, or both. This is definitely an amazing low % option, but sadly it isn't as good as everyone initially thought. :/
I'm not sure how good you initially thought it was, but it's definitely an amazing buff. It's as good as I foresaw it, as being another option to get combos on your opponent.

MrPereida

Smash Rookie
FTHROW>DAIR>pivot grab>FTHROW>UPAIR

did 30% damage on Wario's Fat ass

Top Bottom