• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apple ipad

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I lol'd and wondered if I was watching a parody video.

but I dunno. It would feel really sexy to use, no lie.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
It's a giant waste of money. Apple didn't bother to use advances such as e-ink, it can't multitask (WTF @ That), and they didn't even bother to give the browser flash support. Not only that, but they have it locked like every other Apple prodcut, so you can only buy things from the app store, and can't install any apps that Apple hasn't approved without jailbreaking the iPad.

It doesn't revolutionize anything in any way, and I really do fail to see how this is anything more than an iPod Touch with a name that will lead to even worse innuendos.

Frank West

Smash Apprentice
It's a pretty slick piece of machinery. But it lacks many standard features many would expect from it as well as any true innovation. For now it just seems like a luxury alternative to the kindle. However I do feel apple is making bold attempts to push us into the age of digitalizing all paper media and that's something I applaud them for.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
The DRM on the iPad is intolerable. You're not allowed to run any programs on the machine unless Apple lets you.

This is a huge step backward in the world of computing. Imagine if these kinds of restrictions existed back when the first computers were made and sold? Computers would never have become what they are today.

Say no to Apple and its draconian DRM, refuse to support companies which profit from taking away your freedom.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
its a phone that cant make calls and cant fit in your pocket

good luck listening to music and browsing the web, cause u cant

i thought netbooks running android OS werent the best idea, and after seeing the ipad i figure now that a netbook with android isnt bad at all haha

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Apple didn't bother to use advances such as e-ink
I think everything else you said was valid criticism, but I don't think you understand how e-ink works or what its current limitations are.

Like Alt though I'm put off by Apple's draconian control of their platform--not that it's anything they aren't doing already on the iTouch/iPhone. On a more pragmatic note I don't think it's smart for developers to spend time creating new native apps for a brand new platform that's functionally (if not technically) incompatible both with full-blown computers and the iPhone. With all the attention on native apps for mobile devices it's like what's old is new again, and just like the desktop I'm willing to bet web applications on mobile devices will become more commonplace over time. There's an even stronger case to be made for this to happen on mobile devices where it's wasteful to cater to so many disparate platforms.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I think everything else you said was valid criticism, but I don't think you understand how e-ink works or what its current limitations are.
Hm, how does it work, then? Can you give an explanation or should I just check Wikipedia? The kindle uses e-ink, I just thought that Apple would jump at the chance to use something like it, at the very least.

Anthony523

Smash Apprentice
iPhone = best apple invention ever.
iPad = Worst apple invention ever + the biggest waste of money ever.

I really expected A LOT more out of the iPad... like maybe... A different OS than the iPhone? Also when it finally makes it's release probably about HALF of all of the apps will be messed up since they aren't made for a much larger screen so you'll be playing a game that won't even take up the whole screen, instead a portion the size of an iPhone screen. Also think about how stupid it'll look if your sitting there using it..

Another thing about Apple is they charge WAY too much for extra peripherals.. For example the iPad doesn't have a physical keyboard... Apples solution? A $70 Keyboard...

The only thing I like about the iPad is the weight, 1.5 Lbs. also the 10 hour boasted battery life.. Then again I'll believe that when I see it...

Oh yeah there's no USB port... you need an adapter for that believe it or not...

(BTW this is just a short blurb on what I think... I could go all day on hating this thing...)

EDIT: I just found this... Steve Jobs pretty much admitted it's an iTouch/iPhone
Well apparently 75 million people already know how to use the iPad

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
So it's a size in a median range between a phone and a laptop, making it an unviable mishmash of both?

I don't understand, a phone is meant to be as easy to use as possible, but the iPad isn't really something you'd want to take care of telecommunications. There's failure #1.

It's pretty small giving it lacklustre horsepower, it has a bad OS for computing purposes, it has restricted apps, and it doesn't have much memory. Failure #2.

It'll have quite a price tag. Failure #3.

It has a stupid name. Failure #4.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I don't even like the iPhone all that much. I have a macbook pro and am absolutely fine with it. I don't need the iPad. Perhaps as a product, it'll go down in history as mediocre in function, but it certainly seems like its longterm purpose for the future of computers will shed a new light on it in time. Perhaps the iPad 5.0 will be absolutely amazing. I think what is important is that Apple created something that:
a) is a hybrid between the iPhone and the iMac, and
b) is actually purchasable and not just a prototype

This will most likely prove as a starting point for something amazing. From two other species, a seed has been cultivated and planted. Right now it's not too exciting, but the tree that will grow from it most likely will prove amazing in terms of innovative technologies.

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
I was really hoping this would run OSX instead of the iPhone OS. I mean, iPhone OS Is great for small mobile iPod touches and iPhone. But for a tablet, BLEH!! I was hoping for a real computer, not some giant iPod touch! There are tablets that run XP, a real OS that can be used for general computing ( of course, Linux is better). If a tablet came out with Windows Mobile, it would be horrible!! Tablets are supposed to have desktop/laptop OSes, not mobile ones.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I heard it could be the future for the schools. A replacement for all textbooks. Personally I can't wait till the time comes. Btw, is this really the right place to discuss this? I thought this was just for tech help.

Top Bottom