• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

APEX 2015: The Tournament That Lived

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
As many people are already aware, APEX 2015 has seen its fair share of diversity this weekend. After a crazy beginning to the weekend, the community, backed by Twitch, Red Bull and its fans, saved a tournament that looked like it may have been doomed.

Thanks to the efforts of many, the tournament will continue tomorrow.
Red Bull asked me to write a story detailing the events of today, and I wanted to present it to you here to celebrate the perseverance of our scene. I cannot post it in its entirety here, but if you'd like to read it, please follow the link below.

It's been a crazy day. Look forward to tomorrow - it's gonna be one hell of a ride.

Best,

The Derrit

Jayhawker

Smash Apprentice
Let's just hope the chaos is over... I don't know if I can take any more :p It's really amazing that this all happened and Apex is STILL not cancelled.

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
On the Midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
Let's just hope the chaos is over... I don't know if I can take any more :p It's really amazing that this all happened and Apex is STILL not cancelled.
Hopefully this will strengthen ties between Nintendo and the competitive Smash community. Seeing the kind of dedication that was put forth first-hand has to be nothing short of awe-inspiring.

tarmon2121

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tarmon2121
3DS FC
5000-2165-4045
Seriously, this is what makes the smash community so great. What would happen if all this happened to ANY other community? The entire event would have probably been cancelled at around the time of the Alex Strife BS, let alone make it all the way to where we are now.

Last edited:

Jayhawker

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully this will strengthen ties between Nintendo and the competitive Smash community. Seeing the kind of dedication that was put forth first-hand has to be nothing short of awe-inspiring.
Yeah, I'm honestly shocked that this is continuing. I've always had faith in the community, but it's just insane that we're able to push through this.

RiceIsYummy

Smash Rookie
This was seriously a Cinderella story and I can't imagine a better community. All other communities could learn a thing or two from the happenings of today.

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
This was seriously a Cinderella story and I can't imagine a better community. All other communities could learn a thing or two from the happenings of today.
Dwarven Vow #7: Justice and love will always win.

Justice? They have been working hard to keep them alive! The Tournament deserve to live!.

Love?
FOR THE SAKE OF GAMING, OF COURSE!

Edit:
(...) The competitive community and Nintendo haven’t always seen eye to eye, but one thing is for sure: Nintendo should be proud to have such a passionate and driven group of individuals behind their game.

That moment when you feel proud of being a gamer... ;)

Last edited:

Jayhawker

Smash Apprentice
Seriously, this is the kind of stuff that makes it into the smash documentary! (next episode pls?)

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
After years of lurking this site, these news finally made me feel like creating an account. Just so I can congratulate absolutely everyone involved in this and just how much dedication they've been showing in the wake of so much adversity. It is truly admirable how in barely a FEW hours! so much cooperation, spread of awareness and level headed action has been taken. And now it seems as if things are taking a turn for the better, It feels like an amazing comeback after getting 3 stocks taken away in a row! Not giving up where most people would have, you just don't see this everyday.

This simply has worked to solidify even further the great admiration I feel for the smash community and I'm glad that my first post in this site it's something like this. Keep it up Smash peeps, keep it up.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
4 Threads. Are you kidding me.

Good for Apex though. Let's hope Karma doesn't hate us anymore

Morbi

Scavenger
I was worried that Brawl or Smash 4 would be dropped to compensate for lost time. It makes more sense to drop doubles given that you are not dropping an entire game that many signed up for exclusively. I mean, if I was a Brawl or Smash 4 player, I would be highly disappointed to know that all of my travel expenses were wasted.

That being said, it would certainly be horrible if people only entered doubles to find that those were dropped from the roster. Hopefully most people do not exclusively enter doubles, eh? It is certainly a lose/lose situation regardless.

Apex 2015 is my favorite tournament. Despite literally everything going wrong, it is not cancelled. Amazing. Simply amazing.

Zeppelin

Smash Cadet
So i'm guessing that in the Armada documentary, this will be the part where you hear the gates close, and then hear triumphant music, followed by Guile's theme with Mang0 just wrecking the bracket lol. Just like Evo 2013in the first doc

Overclocked

Smash Cadet
NNID
superfamicomwars
Incredible what this tournament has gone through already. Today, the Smash community showed the world what we're made of and what we can overcome. I'm only a stream watcher and occasional player, but I couldn't be prouder. Shoutouts to Twitch, Red Bull and the entire community for making this thing happen even after all this.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
ADversity, The Derrit. :p

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
We're seeing history in the making....

Let's make sure we secure a legacy of goodwill, and not harm. Alex Strife was a step in the wrong...

Today's event is a step in the right.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Let's not count our chickens before they hatch. I'm sooooo hyped

Engage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WeegeeUser
Man
this is why the smash community so much.
After the huge crapstorm that hit Apex today, the Twitch staff managed to find a new venue that wasn't too far away from the old one
and Apex is now almost back to normal, and the mood is a lot more joyful than it was hours ago.
They almost got all of the TV'S and games set back up as well, Apex will resume tomorrow, and Nintendo was there to witness it all. It's glorious.

And to top it off, Sky Williams is paying for hotel rooms to give people who have no where to stay free rooms when available. Apex, you've made your move, now players, get your controllers out and make yours.

ZLF Aurora

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5734-1939
"If we all press our L buttons at once, the whole tournament can tech the hit and keep going!"

Twilight Emblem

Banned via Warnings
Terribly run tournament series
Deserves absolutely no respect at all in how it was run

Apex staff get your **** together and give us a tournament for once in your life that doesn't have complications or issues. I almost want to punch the ppl in charge of this and apex in general through a wall.

You get feed back year after year and you don't listen to those complaints and change anything. You need to do an enormous feedback evaluation from the people that went and watched and take what they hated and fix it

I don't think you'll do this because well you guys suck **** at organizing and running a tournament lmao but whatever thought i'd try

Top Bottom