• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2014 - January 17-19, 2014 - Somerset, NJ

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
tacos was a lot of fun to watch

lost to jam and moyashi, excellent pika/kirbs

won vs. ameezy and yunque (mad improved)

will post a bunch more a lot later

TANK64

Smash Lord
Time to bump up Yoshi for A Tier imo
^^Because of this tourney?

Are we bumping Jiggs to S?

Mario mains always trying to get that validation.

I mean, not that I think Yoshi isn't that good... but Mario though.

But yeah, Mad Yoshi players appearances/success since the Hyrule ban.

M!nt

Smash Champion
nooo I slept through finals, anyone know where they will be uploaded to youtube?

Battlecow

Play to Win
you can watch em on the stream's "videos" section, should be like a 12 hour video, skip ahead to where you wana be.

M!nt

Smash Champion
okay I think i found it, thank you

star king vs wizzrobe broke my heart again

Last edited:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i missed everything

salt

i inferred from a comment that isai was probably playing jiggs or falcon, who did he play? did he switch at any point?

Last edited:

TANK64

Smash Lord
1. Isai
2. Moyashi
3. Boom
Mariguas?
Wizzy?

And re-shoutouts to Wizzy.
...like FO REAL

like seriously...

the kid though.

T-bone1

Smash Rookie
Just watched the top 8. Great stuff all around! Isai's domination with puff was crazy, and it was cool to see a wide variety of characters represented. Boom's DI against Mariguas on their last game was also epic.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Commentary: couldn't you guys settle on one way to pronounce 'Isai'? I heard at least 4 different ones being thrown around alternately, almost as to confuse people it seemed; it was throwing me off. Were you nervous? And why keep calling Moyashi Kikoushi throughout the whole tournament? After the 50th time it was just rude.
I have no idea why technical data / game properties was brought up so many times during the matches when it's just better to comment on what's happening. I lost count of how many times it was inaccurate too. And I'm in no way correcting anyone in that regard anymore. I feel pants-on-******** 10 minutes later whenever I do it.
Revan beat Solo in the past, so why treat him like the underdog?
A relevant percentage of commentary could just as easily make sense without the game being on. The reason being it was just a conversation about smash stuff most of the time, instead of actual commentary on the match.
I'm just really surprised about how much the commentery bothered me on many aspects, despite not being all bad.
I'm not gonna apologize for any tone you might get from this. I'm as high-handed as you want. And a zubat just hit my window. I heard bats are blind or something so that makes sense.

That lack of paragraphs is to trigger my pet peeve revenge.

SuperDoo

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't call my matches against wizzrobe amazing, in fact it was the lamest game of smash I've ever played by a wide margin.

Unless some major changes are made to the tournament format including a mandatory timer, this will be the last apex style tournament I plan on entering. Campfests just aren't fun, and it ends up making the tournament run way too long.
I am glad the world sees how campy wizzrobe is. At least I owned his ass the last time we played and he raged quit. Though its really not fun winning or losing against him. I only play it to practice on my spacing a little bit. It is annoying to play someone who doesn't initiate any attack. He stands on the left or right side on dreamland and just counters attacks.

It is really just being a selfish jerk. Puff Daddy played the same way vs. me today for a few matches. Chose Hyrule and jumped above me on the top platform. It was awful. What an A HOLE!!!

I think I won 5 of 7 but I was unsatisfied his campy gay ass style won a couple. Just such an A hole to play like that. It is so selfish.

SuperDoo

Smash Cadet
I am glad the world sees how campy wizzrobe is. At least I owned his *** the last time we played and he raged quit. Though its really not fun winning or losing against him. I only play it to practice on my spacing a little bit. It is annoying to play someone who doesn't initiate any attack. He stands on the left or right side on dreamland and just counters attacks.

It is really just being a selfish jerk. Puff Daddy played the same way vs. me today for a few matches. Chose Hyrule and jumped above me on the top platform. It was awful. What an A HOLE!!!

I think I won 5 of 7 but I was unsatisfied his campy gay *** style won a couple. Just such an A hole to play like that. It is so selfish.

Based on the finals, I guess I would finish like 8th or 9th. Where did LD finish in all of this? I hope his ass got owned.

M!nt

Smash Champion
Commentary: couldn't you guys settle on one way to pronounce 'Isai'? I heard at least 4 different ones being thrown around alternately, almost as to confuse people it seemed; it was throwing me off. Were you nervous? And why keep calling Moyashi Kikoushi throughout the whole tournament? After the 50th time it was just rude.
I have no idea why technical data / game properties was brought up so many times during the matches when it's just better to comment on what's happening. I lost count of how many times it was inaccurate too. And I'm in no way correcting anyone in that regard anymore. I feel pants-on-******** 10 minutes later whenever I do it.
A relevant percentage of commentary could just as easily make sense without the game being on. The reason being it was just a conversation about smash stuff most of the time, instead of actual commentary on the match.
I'm just really surprised about how much the commentery bothered me on many aspects, despite not being all bad.
I'm not gonna apologize for any tone you might get from this. I'm as high-handed as you want. And a zubat just hit my window. I heard bats are blind or something so that makes sense.

I actually really liked the commentary. I think the Isai pronunciation was a a joke about how someone called him eye-sai or something idk. The moyashi and kikoushi mixup did happen a lot, but it's an honest mistake imo. Both from japan,kinda similar names,both main kirby and they were comparing how kikoushi did last apex. They also apologized and corrected themselves most of the time. I didn't hear them talk too much about technical data, so idk. I think people like commentary that talks about the game overall not just "player a uses x attack" "player b dodges" but again i'm just speaking for myself I guess.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I liked the commentary for the most part (huge thanks to Jimmyjoe and Greginator for spending all this time commenting instead of playing). However I must agree the Kikoushi thing was a bit annoying, since it wasn't only like 2-3 times. Except from that, I think the rest was fine, good job!

Pooncahontas

Smash Apprentice

this ^

The mispronunciation of Isai, calling Moyashi "Kikoushi" (the dude travels thousands of kilometers and you can't get him name right?), constantly mixing up the chars & player-ports when it was really obvious, over-discussing frame data & tech skills, missing out on actual good gameplay because you've spent the last minute talking about reverse ledge DI and how to apply it, playing favourites with the US players when they clearly had the disadvantage, etc.

All in all, it wasn't unforgivable, but how do you expect to keep viewers on the stream if you have mediocre commentary.
I think Han Solo's contribution was great, and I think he provides fun/interesting commentary.

I think this 45 second discussion on stale moves sums it all up pretty well: http://youtu.be/k9n7B022QvE?t=1m32s

Sedda

Smash Champion
^^In their defense, I think it's not very obvious to know who's who in a game. It's different when you're there. I honestly think Solo isn't half as good a commentator as jimmyjoe or greg, though he still did an amazing job with clubba.

You guys are so angry lol. The only thing that made me facepalm was calling moyashi kikoushi. I thought the most annoying thing was Jaxel saying that playing on kb was no different than playing on controllers and implying that neither had advantages over the other.. jimmyjoe had his awkward face on lol. I can't watch the top 8 because for some reason I cant load archived videos, so I'm really thankful that jaxel uploaded his stuff asap. So legit. I'm pissed off at team spooky because it's going to take them forever... (thanks mixa for the link though!)

The commentary was definitely not "mediocre" at all. It was very good with a few flaws here and there, but it happens. Smash 64 is getting there.

ALSOO, I think there should be a tournament rule where the players have to tell the streamers which port they're using.

AAND ALSOOO. YEAAAH bout those wizzrobe/firo games, you guys were SOOOO RIGHT (godtier sarcasm). It's not like people will ever develop campy playstyles on smaller stages herp derp. I can't wait for people to find another bs reason to ban congo now. If you guys are correct, that set took longer than any set mew2king played on hyrule

Last edited:

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
Apex pros and cons

Pros: Hosted good, on time with the event, Had good food to buy from pub and other stuff you can order for delivery.

Cons: Some games took way to long making them not fun for anyone the camping Is now to a point that we need a timer for every match, no RR pools (anyone that wants more games to play at the tournament would like this and having it would be better over all), need a bigger venue for next year you had a hard time walking by anyone in this and its only going to get bigger from this point on.

Over all I had a good time playing games with everyone and thank Apex for hosting N64 Smash, but unless a lot of changes are put in I'm in the same boat as Firo this will be the last apex style tournament I plan on entering. Campfests just aren't fun. I may come back as a viewer next year.

O.o-RITH-o.O

Smash Journeyman
I don't wanna trash anyone's effort, because it's not easy to commentate, but, honestly i didn't liked the commentary all that much either, just because in my opinion there should always be a guy that talks a lot about the match occurring and a second guy with good competitive insight that can see things that the viewers don't really do (like they do in melee commentary), we always have two kinda decent players talking obvious things about the game, not adding much... but i love the initiative, even tho i said all these things, i still rather watch with this commentary then without any.

I wanna add something, these NO-HIRULE rule made that the whole tournament was played in DL, and we had an absurd amount of Falcons and Pikas, with a few Kirbys and Yoshis, the counterpick was completely ignored and we had a lot of similar matches... RIP FOX

EggSelent

Smash Apprentice
I am glad the world sees how campy wizzrobe is. At least I owned his *** the last time we played and he raged quit. Though its really not fun winning or losing against him. I only play it to practice on my spacing a little bit. It is annoying to play someone who doesn't initiate any attack. He stands on the left or right side on dreamland and just counters attacks.

I think I won 5 of 7 but I was unsatisfied his campy gay *** style won a couple. Just such an A hole to play like that. It is so selfish.
Haha, I do admit it was awful, but that was more or less the rhetorical objective. Generally if I'm playing friendlies online, I'm playing to have fun, not win. So I got a bit annoyed when you brought out the MATTS! esque banter ("my Kirby too good / has only lost online like once in the last month") and critiqued my choice of DK, which clearly is not a choice made with winning on the mind. So I went with the snoozefests (first Kirby dittos, which DSed though you were up a stock) and then the classic Hyrule Kirby Puff campalooza, which I did win.

And to clarify, your kirby is better than mine, but I think my Puff could win a campfest if necessary. And all the other wins in losses (DK dittos, DK vs kirby, etc) would be irrelevant in a competitive setting.

And I don't mean to sound like even more of a ****, but I'd be willing to bet money you wouldn't get top 8 at APEX. I couldn't either. You're a good player, don't get me wrong, but APEX is full of other good players.

Last edited:

TANK64

Smash Lord
Based on the finals, I guess I would finish like 8th or 9th.

BWHAHAHAHHhahahahhahahhdhlolololololololROFLMFAOxDDDDDDDD

Whatever you say MrSuperDoo.

Sensei, Sheer, Killer, Dexter, Kefit, Banze, Nintendude, Starking, and Firo DIDN'T get top 8.

Where exactly do you thing you would place...Oh 8th or 9th. Gotcha. kk

Dude quit smash forever. Or even better- go to the next Apex.

Omg this guy. OOOuuu Just made my day.

Omg my ribs.

Omg new sig xD

Last edited:

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I do recall a few times with various commentators saying things that were wrong or dubious. There's the obvious stuff like calling Moyashi "Ruoka" (uh they play completely different characters) to more subtle stuff like saying "Moyashi is only good with Kirby" - I don't think we know that for sure at all. But in Japanese tournaments I'm pretty sure you are locked into one character so you aren't going to see Moyashi playing many different characters in videos. I mean, Josuke beat Isai in (japaense) 12 CB and I've never seen him play anyone but Samus in videos.

@ TANK64 TANK64 that post would have been perfect if it ended after the first spoiler. No elaboration necessary.

SuperDoo

Smash Cadet
Haha, I do admit it was awful, but that was more or less the rhetorical objective. Generally if I'm playing friendlies online, I'm playing to have fun, not win. So I got a bit annoyed when you brought out the MATTS! esque banter ("my Kirby too good / has only lost online like once in the last month") and critiqued my choice of DK, which clearly is not a choice made with winning on the mind. So I went with the snoozefests (first Kirby dittos, which DSed though you were up a stock) and then the classic Hyrule Kirby Puff campalooza, which I did win.

And to clarify, your kirby is better than mine, but I think my Puff could win a campfest if necessary. And all the other wins in losses (DK dittos, DK vs kirby, etc) would be irrelevant in a competitive setting.

And I don't mean to sound like even more of a ****, but I'd be willing to bet money you wouldn't get top 8 at APEX. I couldn't either. You're a good player, don't get me wrong, but APEX is full of other good players.
I'd like to try a again. I believe I beat your jiggly like 3 times in a row but that was before you started camping like crazy. Once you started camping I believe you won the only match.

And ya DK is a really bad matchup vs my kirby. I steal the DK punch do a couple of utilts and dk punch you to death. I just really love that matchup. Wasn't Wizzrobe in the top 8? I know I can beat him. I 3 stocked him last time and he rage quit. Perhaps Kirby is just a good matchup V Yoshi.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Okay, keep the SuperDoo drama elsewhere, or even better nowhere. This thread is for discussing Apex related stuff and I don't see how SuperDoo vs EggSelent is related to Apex (nor do I see how how SuperDoo would do against Wizzrobe is).

TANK64

Smash Lord
@ SuperDoo SuperDoo , yeah Kirby is Yoshi's worse matchup. That being said, beating Wizzy in an online friendly with Kirby isn't that impressive. And yeah we quit out when we know we're dead/match is done. It's a FL thing, not because of rage.

I do recall a few times with various commentators saying things that were wrong or dubious. There's the obvious stuff like calling Moyashi "Ruoka" (uh they play completely different characters) to more subtle stuff like saying "Moyashi is only good with Kirby" - I don't think we know that for sure at all. But in Japanese tournaments I'm pretty sure you are locked into one character so you aren't going to see Moyashi playing many different characters in videos. I mean, Josuke beat Isai in (japaense) 12 CB and I've never seen him play anyone but Samus in videos.

@ TANK64 TANK64 that post would have been perfect if it ended after the first spoiler. No elaboration necessary.
I know :/

I shouldn't have elaborated. I was going to wait for a response but my excitement/lack of patience got the best of me... Damn, there go my likes!

@ Sangoku Sangoku ok ok I'm DONE.
(I already typed it lol)

The Star King

Smash Hero
okay I think i found it, thank you

star king vs wizzrobe broke my heart again
hey me too. we have a lot in common.

SK don't get nervous, it's a smash tournament it's supposed to be fun.

I mean, it's not like there's a bunch of vultures waiting on smashboards to make fun of you if you lose to wizzrobe or something
LOL

wat.

Forgot about this. Was scrolling down and re-saw it.

ballin confirmed Smash prophet

Guys... remember that one time I said Yoshi is better than Mario?

Last edited:

SuperDoo

Smash Cadet
@ SuperDoo SuperDoo , yeah Kirby is Yoshi's worse matchup. That being said, beating Wizzy in an online friendly with Kirby isn't that impressive. And yeah we quit out when we know we're dead/match is done. It's a FL thing, not because of rage.

I know :/

I shouldn't have elaborated. I was going to wait for a response but my excitement/lack of patience got the best of me... Damn, there go my likes!

@ Sangoku Sangoku ok ok I'm DONE.
(I already typed it lol)
I 3 stocked him though lol. I dominated him. Yep, I am good at the kirby yoshi matchup. My worse matchup as a Kirby is probably jiggly, then Link, Pika then Samus

SuperDoo

Smash Cadet
Okay, keep the SuperDoo drama elsewhere, or even better nowhere. This thread is for discussing Apex related stuff and I don't see how SuperDoo vs EggSelent is related to Apex (nor do I see how how SuperDoo would do against Wizzrobe is).

So maybe read a little up before unnecessarily posting things. The only thing more annoying then a post off topic is someone commenting about not posting off topic stuff.

AND Maybe read up we are talking about Wizzy because he plays defensive. Wizzy relates to Apex, a topic was should we allow camping or not at next Apex.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
superdoo you're trash

i'm gonna do shoutouts in the results thread

this was a blast

there are multiple issues i have with a lot of things, all of which are imo reasonable as hell. you'll get the patented cobr rage soon enough

also, we did get some interviews with some people via solo's phone, and i think the video is going to properly 100% represent us as a community...which may or may not be a good thing

kys

Smash Ace
My problem with the commentary was the amount of information that was downright wrong. At one point, the commentators were talking about possible counterpicks for Superboom against Moyashi, and greginator was all like, "His pika got trashed and isn't an option." I hadn't seen their previous set, so I took his word.

But after about the billionth blatantly false piece of information, I went back into the archives to see for myself, and lo and behold! The Boom-Moyashi games where Boom went Pika were extremely close, and boom would've taken the set if not for some extremely uncharacteristic mistakes.

It's a shame, because I thought jimmyjoe and greginator did an awesome job in how they played off each other, and were great at keeping the dialogue flowing. That's not easy to do. There were too many unknowns or "I don't know this matchup."

IDK I'm probably being way too picky but it bothered me. It's nothing personal, as I think they presented themselves and the community well, and with a little refinement they would both be excellent.

Top Bottom