• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2013 Smash 64 January 11-13th, 2013 Singles Bracket is now up

Battlecow

Play to Win
i would say DEFINITELY sensei. I'm sayin he gets 4th this year, kefit 5th. Sensei is harder to beat against IMO. I didn't Dexter was crazy good, though I haven't played him super recently. I would say high B or low A.

I thought there was a clear 5th place last year, since the top 5 got payouts... Well if there isn't then maybe he can finish top 6. I still like Firo, Megavolt, possible European representative over him though. But he is using that goddamn hori so all bets are off.
Look dude, you obviously have some really feverish and imaginative misconceptions about what a hori minipad does. You're judging dexter's skill based off of having played him. With his pad. But then you act like you don't know how he'll do because the hori will... what? Make his spacing better than it was online in the middle of the tourney? I don't get it.

plus firo horis too.

Other than against Samus (render upB irrelevant), I don't think it's a real game changer.
No one non-terrible is incapable of DI'ing out of samus's up-B in (U), hori or OG.

you're right about the same being true for pika's fair

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
**** all this hori drama, (J) and (U) consoles are exactly the same internally...MINUS the plastic dock below the cartridge flaps. an argument saying that they should only be allowed in (J) tournaments or not allowed at all is ridic, made by nintendo and they also work on PAL consoles. lol let the hori guys be. no i'm not a hori fan, but jj, firo, and many other hori users are cool people, don't spoil what little players' we haves' fun plz (thanks for server, firo)

38 entrants so far... lol'd at someones name 'low-tier-or-no-tier'
he's a kool dood from galaxy (ssb kaillera server) who is fun to team with, amongst many others

maaaaaan...i hope more cool galaxy people(DOUBLES/SMASHER/XELPH) show up so we can have even more amazing teams friendlies

lets get more 64 people to attend for a bester time than last year, really glad to see peeps like TANK and BALLIN showing up this year (where you at FLAKERS!?[UNK, frog, SK LOL])

bcow....gotta do more fthrow down b

i propose doing some TEAMS FAT SANDWICH (not exactly money)MATCHES on CONSOLE

never did get a PANCAKE match at FC in...

DOOD FROM BRAZIL SHOWING UP DAAAAAAM
"Banze OOC Brazil"

banze

Smash Journeyman
heeey whatup Guuys !!!

Brazil is confirmed for this now!
I've register a few days ago. I'm ****ing excited for this!! and we are going to start training here!

My buddy has also bought his plane ticket, so you can be expeting another brazillian register in the next days!!

Really looking foward playing with all you guys! hope to be a good mach agains all!

Another important thing, we dont have a place to stay wet. seens like the Hyat hotel is full for saturday.
does any one provide housing here? we are very quiet and dont mind sleeping on a couch, and of course whilling to pay any reasonable fee for that! and it would be owsome to be with someone that plays 64 as well!!

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Look dude, you obviously have some really feverish and imaginative misconceptions about what a hori minipad does. You're judging dexter's skill based off of having played him. With his pad. But then you act like you don't know how he'll do because the hori will... what? Make his spacing better than it was online in the middle of the tourney? I don't get it.

plus firo horis too.

No one non-terrible is incapable of DI'ing out of samus's up-B in (U), hori or OG.

you're right about the same being true for pika's fair
Look dude, you obviously have some absurd inability to comprehend sarcasm. 'I don't get it' was right lol.

kys

Smash Ace
Glad to hear Nintendude is going hard.

I'm going to try really hard to come to Apex 2014. All this hype is making me mad I can't come this year.

TANK64

Smash Lord
i would say DEFINITELY sensei. I'm sayin he gets 4th this year, kefit 5th. Sensei is harder to beat against IMO. I didn't Dexter was crazy good, though I haven't played him super recently. I would say high B or low A.

I thought there was a clear 5th place last year, since the top 5 got payouts... Well if there isn't then maybe he can finish top 6. I still like Firo, Megavolt, possible European representative over him though. But he is using that goddamn hori so all bets are off.
Yeah I was mad salty that Sensei and Nin' didn't do a tie-breaker last year. I've been a Sensei fan boy since forever lol. Should be funny when I meet him.

heeey whatup Guuys !!!

Brazil is confirmed for this now!
I've register a few days ago. I'm ****ing excited for this!! and we are going to start training here!

My buddy has also bought his plane ticket, so you can be expeting another brazillian register in the next days!!

Really looking foward playing with all you guys! hope to be a good mach agains all!

Another important thing, we dont have a place to stay wet. seens like the Hyat hotel is full for saturday.
does any one provide housing here? we are very quiet and dont mind sleeping on a couch, and of course whilling to pay any reasonable fee for that! and it would be owsome to be with someone that plays 64 as well!!
Dude I'm SOOOO glad to hear this. Banze is gonna ****.

I'm really happy to see the wacky array of 64 talent coming to this. Should be awesome. Top 5/Top 10 is still so up in the air right now IMO.

/HYYYYYYPE

Glad to hear Nintendude is going hard.

I'm going to try really hard to come to Apex 2014. All this hype is making me mad I can't come this year.
Yeah. thanks for helping me represent FL BRO. I have to **** talk all these people by myself... Oh and Wizzy's comin' xD .

>Nintendude goin' TryHard (thanks Battlecow)
>Banze and the family confirmed.
>Dex and other online peeps leaving the shadows.
>Ballin', Cattle, TANK and others in the same room will be ****in' hilarious!

I'm soooOOO excited HYPE for this.

And if SK isn't lame and actually shows up...

...and if Darth comes, shiiiiiii

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Majority rules.
grrrrrrrrr

Which means that the original game was designed with the intention of being played on both types of controllers.
it seems pretty unlikely that the developers of SSB bothered to test anything on Horis. just sayin.

i want to do commentary; i guess i'll PM alex some of my VIDS. plus i'll probably lose first round anyway so need something to do right?

kys

Smash Ace
^ I was thinking the same thing with horis. Just because it was made before the game came out doesn't mean it was tested for said game.

TANK, glad to hear Wizzy is coming. Gotta represent Florida HARD. Just remember, we only have the one state. Other *****es get the Midwest, or the Northeast, or Canada. Take pride in that (I guess NorCal and SoCal work against this, but whatevs).

Sensei

Smash Lord
Mannn...seems people are training hard for this. Makes we want to play. Registration caps at 64 again hmm, maybe I should registers soon....

clubbadubba

Smash Master
we don't know if they tested, so we assume they didn't? Besides it doesn't matter whether they tested it or not, what matters is that the designers had the knowledge that it could be played on a hori and allowed it. Unlike the keyboard, which they did not know would be utilized for smash.

@Mint: was talking about me being sarcastic when i brought up hori's again, and then battlecow taking me super seriously with his response.

Damn wish I could make the tourney. Star King are you going to this and if so are you going for the whole tourney or just friendlies?

The Star King

Smash Hero
Who knows clubba

but if the tournament is on Friday it's pretty unlikely that I'll be in the tournament, just friendlies is more likely

Apex 2014 will be where it's at IMO :troll:

ballin4life

Smash Hero
we don't know if they tested, so we assume they didn't? Besides it doesn't matter whether they tested it or not, what matters is that the designers had the knowledge that it could be played on a hori and allowed it. Unlike the keyboard, which they did not know would be utilized for smash.
I mean it doesn't seem likely to me that the designers would even have known about Horis. I had never heard of Horis until somewhat recently - they don't seem to be that well known. I doubt the designers cared about Horis/Makopad/Sharkpad/any of the non-standard controllers

I don't think the intent of the designers 13 years ago is all that relevant to tournament rules now, but I'm just saying.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
lol let the hori guys be. no i'm not a hori fan, but jj, firo, and many other hori users are cool people, don't spoil what little players' we haves' fun plz (thanks for server, firo)

l"
Honestly this is probably the worst.

"STFU up surri other, more important players use horis, and we dont want them to go away...so go away"

Hahahah....**** you

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I mean it doesn't seem likely to me that the designers would even have known about Horis. I had never heard of Horis until somewhat recently - they don't seem to be that well known. I doubt the designers cared about Horis/Makopad/Sharkpad/any of the non-standard controllers

I don't think the intent of the designers 13 years ago is all that relevant to tournament rules now, but I'm just saying.
I would think they would at least know about it. They were working for Nintendo and Nintendo did endorse the controller. I would bet that designers would be told the product needs to work for controllers X, Y, and Z. It would look bad on Nintendo if nintendo endorsed controllers didn't work with certain games. Compatibility with all supported equipment is a pretty standard design consideration, I would be surprised if they didn't know. This is all speculation of course, but I think assuming nintendo knows about nintendo products is usually going to be a good assumption. Especially considering that SSB was initially suppposed to be japanese release only and hori's were made for japan first right?

As to why I think that's important, well I am just speculating but:

1) I'm betting the designers knew that maxed out DI could be wack as **** BUT

2) They probably also realized that maxed out DI is not possible on the controllers they were designing for. Had they thought reaching max DI was possible, I think there is a good chance they would've nerfed it. I just think if the game wasn't designed to be played with it, then it could POTENTIALLY change the game from what it is without it. In the case of the keyboard I think that this is the case and it is no longer the same game.

Battlecow

Play to Win
**** yeah banze, I'm so excited to play friendlies with you. Hope you do well-but-not-too-well!

Better get in gear, nintendude. IDK if you can get back to top 3 shape in a month though, especially not after letting Legendary make sweet sweet love to you at that last Toronto tourney. I guess we'll have to SEE whether traitors can still hang with us ;)

kys

Smash Ace
**** yeah banze, I'm so excited to play friendlies with you. Hope you do well-but-not-too-well!

Better get in gear, nintendude. IDK if you can get back to top 3 shape in a month though, especially not after letting Legendary make sweet sweet love to you at that last Toronto tourney. I guess we'll have to SEE whether traitors can still hang with us ;)
Wait, wait, wait, was this 64?? How did I not hear about this?

The Star King

Smash Hero
Think he's thinking of YBOMBB. I have no idea how anybody would confuse those two with each other though.

Battlecow

Play to Win
YBOMBB, my bad lol

I do get those two mixed up and I have no idea why

also I'm joking, nintendude will probably kick everyone's *** after getting back into shape

Yobolight

Smash Lord
Since Isai isn't going this year, does that mean that the top spot is in contention?

Someone better throw this stuff on youtube.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Since when he is not going?

And ironically enough him going would make the top spot more in contention, not less.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I would think they would at least know about it. They were working for Nintendo and Nintendo did endorse the controller. I would bet that designers would be told the product needs to work for controllers X, Y, and Z. It would look bad on Nintendo if nintendo endorsed controllers didn't work with certain games. Compatibility with all supported equipment is a pretty standard design consideration, I would be surprised if they didn't know. This is all speculation of course, but I think assuming nintendo knows about nintendo products is usually going to be a good assumption. Especially considering that SSB was initially suppposed to be japanese release only and hori's were made for japan first right?

As to why I think that's important, well I am just speculating but:

1) I'm betting the designers knew that maxed out DI could be wack as **** BUT

2) They probably also realized that maxed out DI is not possible on the controllers they were designing for. Had they thought reaching max DI was possible, I think there is a good chance they would've nerfed it. I just think if the game wasn't designed to be played with it, then it could POTENTIALLY change the game from what it is without it. In the case of the keyboard I think that this is the case and it is no longer the same game.
Despite being an "official" Nintendo controller, the Hori is incredibly low profile. I know many people who are big N64 fans who have never heard of it. There's no reason to think such a minor accessory would be noticed by smash 64 developers (heck, they didn't do anything with e.g. the Rumble Pak, which was a HUGE n64 accessory).

Also if the Hori were released in 1999 then it might not have even been around for the smash64 developers to use. They probably wrapped development on the game in 1998, and the Hori may still have been a prototype at that time. It just seems really unlikely to me that anyone on the smash64 development team gave a second thought about the Hori.

Also, the designers of smash64 originally had very little DI - this is what we see in the Japanese version. Someone then ramped up the DI for the later U version.

I also really really doubt that the designers cared much about DI in general. By our standards today the designers in 1999 would be the noobiest of noobs (no combos, B button spam, little short hopping etc). I doubt they considered anything remotely like our issues today that occur in high level play (otherwise why didn't they nerf Kirby's utilt)

Since when he is not going?

And ironically enough him going would make the top spot more in contention, not less.
heh good point

Battlecow

Play to Win
So now we're back to puzzling through developer intent, saying "well, those strange japanese men who saw fit to make various attacks 2% stronger and nerf ness in between J and U would DEFINITELY have done X for Y reason"

more than a little bit ridiculous, and not something we should be basing rulesets on

here's an idea: why don't you play your best and let other people who may or may not have an incredibly incredibly negligible advantage over you in one part of the game and disadvantages in others that you don't particularly care about anyways keep playing as well?

ballin4life

Smash Hero
So now we're back to puzzling through developer intent, saying "well, those strange japanese men who saw fit to make various attacks 2% stronger and nerf ness in between J and U would DEFINITELY have done X for Y reason"
well, i thought i was clear that developer intent shouldn't matter for the ruleset ...

or else we'd be playing 4p FFA all items on very high

firo

Smash Ace
So it looks like I'll be able to go to this (at least Friday. and possibly Saturday). I probably won't have too much time to prepare but it should be a good time. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone around again and catching up with Knitephox and Komotonoto (I'll be in California this summer, so we can't have our Summer smash sessions then :( ).

Not sure if I'm gonna register as NY or IL, but we'll see.

Also don't be so quick to group me in with the hori users. I perform better with the regular N64 controller, and I am almost sure that I'll be using it during the tournament (I didn't use the hori last year), even though I use the hori for online play. The hori is good for DI, but the joystick is not precise enough for my liking for super serious matches and I make some mistakes with it. The hori has disadvantages too and I feel that at the highest level of play nothing beats the original n64 controller with a fresh stick.

B Link

Smash Lord
If the hori really gives a significant DI advantage, then I'd be leaning more towards not allowing it. If people can DI out of jiggly's dair or yoshi's dair much more easily b/c of the hori, for example, I'd say that's unfair to n64 controller users who have to mash like hell to get the same effect.

Having said that, I doubt that the advantage is as significant as people have put it (after having played battlecow, for example, his DI didn't seem that unfair).

More range by itself isn't that big of an advantage either. It's not like you suddenly go from being top 20 in the world to being better than JaimeHR just because you get 20% more range out of your directional input.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Does anyone going to Apex have a stopwatch? I'd like to actually allow players to request a timer for their matches.
There's nothing in the MBR ruleset about a time limit, actually; the rule is just sort of a general one against stalling, with the losing player considered to be the stalling one in the event of that occurring.

Top Bottom