• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2012 needs volunteers!

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Apex is a big deal. Like, maybe we're tooting our own horns, but Apex is pretty much... Well, the Apex of Smash. With that said, it takes a fair amount man power to ensure the tournament is ran to its maximum potential. In the past, we've always handed these spots out to those closest to us, but this year, we're reaching out to the entire community. With an estimated 75% growth from last year's event, it's important to make sure we have the necessary staff to make this happen!

These positions are mainly volunteer basis. Your help will earn you an Apex Staff shirt, and at least one meal voucher. Most of these positions are a mere 3 hour shift, helping guild players through pools and recording the data that the matches contain!

Next, you'll find the list of positions available at Apex 2012, and what those positions would require of you!

• Referee: These individuals will oversee a group of four pools, each containing four players. These pools will be best of three, using the Unity Ruleset's guide to tiebreaking. These players should be versed in organizing competitive play, but is not limited to TOs!

Requirements: Versed in Brawl or Melee's Apex ruleset; If applying for the FGC side, versed in the competitve rulesets of SSF4:AE, UMvC3 and MK9; Trusted member of the community; Able to coordinate matches in a quick fashion; Legible handwriting.

Compensation: Volunteer basis. These players will receive staff badges, and one meal voucher.

Required number of staff: 20-30 Referees for Smash. 10 for the other events.

• Coat Check: These individuals will oversee the coat check section of the venue. You will be required to keep watch of the area, only leaving with coverage.

Requirements: Must be able to tag coats, and keep an organized area; Lift up to 50 lbs; Keep track of all funds generated through the coat check; Legible handwriting; Be able to work no less than two shifts of four hours.

Compensation: Paid position. You will recieve 5% of the total amount of money generated from the coat check service. Staff shirts.

Required number of Staff: 3

• Security: These volunteers will be equipped with the authority to prevent players from entering Apex 2012, and will be allowed to enforce the rules provided by Apex.

Requirements: Great communication skills. Able to keep calm in the face of a stressful situation.

Compensation: Volunteer basis. These players will receive a staff shirt, a special name badge, and two meal vouchers.

Required number of Staff: 5

• Drivers: These attendees will be responsible for transporting players to and from the Airport to or from the Hyatt Regency.

Requirements: Must have a well maintained vehicle; Clean driving record (barring minor offenses: Speeding tickets less than 10 miles over the speed limit, parking offenses, etc.); The ability to manage time, and provide prompt service.

Compensation: Volunteer basis. These players will receive staff shirts, and one meal voucher, and all gas/toll expenses reimbursed by Apex 2012. (Must provide receipts.)

Required number of staff: As many as we can get!

• Stream assistants: These players will be tasked with finding high profile matches that are yet to be played, and ensuring their sets are played on stream. You will also be reporting non-stream, high profile matches to the Directional Influence staff to help provide the stream with updates!

Requirements: Organized, and motivated; These volunteers must be able to recognize all top Smash Bros players by face; Attention to detail; Knowledge of top player details, including rivalries, power ranking, major wins and major losses.

Compensation: Volunteer basis. Apex Staff badges, and one meal voucher

Required number of staff: 3

• Photographers: These volunteers will be tasked with... Well, you guessed it: Taking pictures! You'll have access to all facets of the event, including behind the scenes, staff rooms, and the main stage, to be able to provide the world who couldn't attend with the best possible photos you can!

Requirements: Must have your own equipment; Able to develop pictures, and upload them to a website of our choice; Be able to share proprietary rights of all photos with the owners of Apex 2012; Show up early, and stay late on all tournament days.

Compensation: To be determined on quality of product and experience. Portfolios and Resumes are preferred.

Required number of staff: 2.

• Sponsorship Booth: These volunteers will assist our sponsors in relating both product and information to the attendees.

Requirements: Studying the products you'll be assigned to; Relating all information to the attendees; Ability to sell (When applicable); Able to keep a positive attitude during your shifts.

Compensation: Volunteer basis. Apex Staff badge, and one meal voucher per four hour shirt.

Required number of staff: 3
Anyone interested in any position, please send me a private message with the following filled out:

1. Name:
  2. Smash tag:
  3. Position Applying for:
  4. Qualifications (If applicable):
  5. Why you would like to be on Apex Staff?
  6. Have you ever worked for a tournament before?

Thanks to everyone in advance. Keep in mind, these spaces are limited, so we'll only be accepting the most qualified applicants!

If you have any questions about this, just leave a comment!

dmbrandon

Smash Master
What if a match and your schedule conflict?
We won't allow you to work and play. If you're a brawl player, you'll ref wave 1 of pools if you're scheduled to play in wave 2. If you need to do coat check as a brawl player, it will be on the melee day. Etc.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Any questions feel free to PM myself or DM

Firefly - Wait til you are able to know for sure. That way we can set up the hours for everyone :)

M@v

Subarashii!
Out of curiosity, any way to choose if you want a shirt or badge, regardless the position? If not its no big deal. I already sent in an app for brawl referee.

Cherished Doll

Smash Master
1. Name: Emily ^_^
2. Smash tag: Doll666
3. Position Applying for: Stream Assistant or Ref (or both :p) you said DI or something.. Idk if thats still an option
4. Qualifications (If applicable): I keep up with the PR of pretty much every region im organized and stuff
5. Why you would like to be on Apex Staff? Because its no fun just sitting there doing nothing and watching my friends stress out
6. Have you ever worked for a tournament before? Yes.

APEX HYPE!!! :D

:phone:

:phone:

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Out of curiosity, any way to choose if you want a shirt or badge, regardless the position? If not its no big deal. I already sent in an app for brawl referee.
The shirts are only for specific roles. We'll be selling Apex shirts there, but the staff shirts are EXTREMELY limited, as they're much more expensive to make.

Also, please PM any apps directly to me. That way I can keep track of all of you! And thanks for the major interest so far!

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Security will be working all weekend. We'll have people do sweeps, and such, but generally, if there is an issue you're aware of, you need to address that immediately, unless engaged in a tournament match.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Oh. Ok, I thought it was more of a like, bouncer at the door situation where you had to stay at one spot to block people from coming in. but alright good to know.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Well, you'll have spots like that near commentary, and such. the details will be given in full with instructions and things during the meetings we hold with the people who who we think best fit the bill.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I just want you to know how off putting, seeing you trying to be unbiased and politically correct is. Throwing me off Hard.

M@v

Subarashii!
The shirts are only for specific roles. We'll be selling Apex shirts there, but the staff shirts are EXTREMELY limited, as they're much more expensive to make.

Also, please PM any apps directly to me. That way I can keep track of all of you! And thanks for the major interest so far!
Ah ok. No problem then. Thanks for answering though ^_^

dmbrandon

Smash Master
We're gonna keep this open until we're overbooked by 25%. People should start getting emails a little after Nov 15th.

pandacheck

Smash Ace
Name: Anthony Gesswein
Smash tag: MAGE
Position Applying for: Security
Qualifications (If applicable): The fact that I've worked fast food and I know what it takes to be patient with people who are slow, or people who are angry.
Why you would like to be on Apex Staff? Because I've never attended a National Tournament, and I've been playing smash semi Competitively since 05/06.
Have you ever worked for a tournament before? No I have no prior experience with how a tournament runs or how to organize one.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Name: Peter Park
Smash tag: Kaffei4Lunch
Position Applying for: Referee
Qualifications (If applicable): I am unbiased
Why you would like to be on Apex Staff?: I don't plan on entering singles in either events, so helping out with the tournament is the least I could do.
Have you ever worked for a tournament before?: Nope :x

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
Name: Nick Carroll
Smash tag: Carroll (loooool)
Position Applying for: Referee
Qualifications (If applicable): Since june of 09 I've traveled far and wide and to around 25+ tournements (including two of my own) so im very firmilar with the samsh tournament scene. im a very well known player/TO in my local scene (pittsburgh/western PA) as well as in the OOS scene (OH,MI,WV,CANADA, ect.)
Why you would like to be on Apex Staff?: Since this will be the smash event of the season (if not the year) i figured i should do my part and help in anyway i could.
Have you ever worked for a tournament before?: Ive run/hosted two of my own tournies in the pittsburgh area as well as helped other TOs at their own tournies. (M@v's /hope series, lokii's viva tourney, juggleguy's the big house [road to apex] ;) and countless others.

EDIT: just red that i should PM this...

EDIT2: sent:)

M@v

Subarashii!
If it helps at all, I can vouch for Carroll. Runs his tourneys well and has done an excellent job helping me run the melee portions of /hope tourneys.

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman
Name: Tanner Travers
Smash tag: tbagz
Position Applying for: security
Qualifications (If applicable): I have positive people skills and a variety of experiencing showing over 400 hours of community service at the national guard youth camp, I now know how to stay calm in high-stress situations.
Why you would like to be on Apex Staff?: because it will be a great opportunity for me to get back into the smash region, and id be soooo stoked =)
Have you ever worked for a tournament before?: Ive hosted 5 tournaments, 1 in school. and 4 via Smash boards, only one got a decent number of turn ups (36 i believe?) so i know how stressful and aggravating it can get with frantic smashers running around.

a quick side note- since DM will be deciding what goes on, i know when i was younger i was.. thick skulled to say the least.. but just know its been 3 years since ive even shown up at a tournament, and i'd enjoy if you didn't take my childness into account.

much appreciated

~Tbagz

Top Bottom