• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aperture Science: Yoshi Testing/Research/Discovery (Test chamber 2 complete)

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Hm, I want to know something, actually. What makes Meta Knight sometimes land on the SV platform while chain-grabbing him while other times he simply falls through? Also, are there any other characters with this property on other stages?

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
has something to do with the arc and where the platform is when he's comming down iirc. The information was somewhere on Smashboards i think. But that would be something kinda interesting. Might make it a test chamber. 3 is coming up soon

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I think (reeeeeaaaaaaaalllllllllllllyyyyyyy big emphasis on think) that it has to do with where yoshi's head is when he releases. I believe someone said that if you chew (or dont chew, not sure) and then they release at a certain time, yoshi's head is higher up than usual and is just high enough to give MK the ability to land on the platform. Again, DONT QUOTE ME ON THIS, IM NOT REALLY SURE, I JUST RECALL HEARING IT.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
It might work on other chars...

And possibly, but i swear to god that ive heard that somewhere before...

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
But this is Yoshi, none of the game's normal physics apply here. I mean, we are the only character to have a gay shield, super armor on a double jump, multiple jumps via special move, he's a floaty fatty with speed, and half his hurtbox is his nose.

Yikarur

Smash Master
the landing Detection in Brawl is the lowest part of the body (in Melee it was at about knee-high or something like that)
so he only lands on the platform if his feet is above the platform so that he can land on it. This is not the case for most release locations but you can see him visually fall through the platform for that reason and he sometimes land on the SV platform if he crosses the platform at the peak of his grab release animation.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
^ The question isnt exactly why (while that is still helpful and Im not trying to shoot you down or anything) but more how. What actually causes him to have his feet pass through entirely only sometimes while every other time he doesn't?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
No, let me quote what you just said and show you:

and he sometimes land on the SV platform if he crosses the platform at the peak of his grab release animation.
Now, what we're trying to figure out is, why only sometimes? We get that is doesnt work on some stages and does on others, but we are talking about SV only right now. SV only. No other stages, just SV.

Now, you also said IF he crosses at the peak of his jump, stating that he doesnt always cross the platform while at the peak. Now, assuming the Platform is in MK's release path, if this is the case, why does it only work sometimes? What we want to know is, why under seemingly identical or highly similar situations do we get different results with moves that have presumably set knockback/animation/distance? Do you get what I mean?

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I think (reeeeeaaaaaaaalllllllllllllyyyyyyy big emphasis on think) that it has to do with where yoshi's head is when he releases. I believe someone said that if you chew (or dont chew, not sure) and then they release at a certain time, yoshi's head is higher up than usual and is just high enough to give MK the ability to land on the platform. Again, DONT QUOTE ME ON THIS, IM NOT REALLY SURE, I JUST RECALL HEARING IT.
I actually think this is the case. I almost never see MK land on the platform when I pummel him, but sometimes when I just hold him in place he lands on it. Yoshi's head bobbles up and down slightly when he is holding someone in his mouth, and when he pummels he moves his head down a bit, so maybe that's what makes MK land on the platform sometimes.

Essentially, the vertical height at which a character is grab-released is determined by the position of Yoshi's head. If that's the case, then I wouldn't doubt that the horizontal distance can be slightly altered as well (since Yoshi also moves his head slightly to the left and right). However, I doubt that would actually lead to anything new... maybe.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Okaaay Listen up ladies Scatz is gonna be heading up Test Chamber 4. But instead of just picking people up at random for this one we're kinda gonna need volunteers. It's huge and i looked over it. From what I saw it could possibly be a changing factor to our metagame, but i'll make sure to keep your workload easy enough. I wouldn't want my lab rats dying on me. The real beauty is we have half of it done, but our boy Scatzgod i not one to half *** a project so its not being released until the entire thing is finished.

NOW THIS PART IS IMPORTANT SO IF YOU TL:DR'd ANYTHING (first of all go read it) MAKE SURE YOU READ THIS

We need to use Frame Advance to test this.

For you guys without hacks well its cool. We still have chamber 3 <3. FOR THOSE OF YOU WITH HACKS, I don't wanna hear "I don't know how to use it" because that excuse is bull. We'll show you how. If you want to help and you have hacks you're helping, so none of this "I would if I knew how bull****" You guys like to sprout so much.

Recap. Big has a huge project that should have been finished last year. We need volunteers who have a hacked wii. You'll need frame advance. Don't care if you know how, we'll explain it all to you.

Happy Testing ^^

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Celes, I'll pick some of it up late tonight (like, 4AM) since I'll inevitably have nothing to do then. Send me a PM on Skype or something with all the info and I'll check it. @_@

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I have a hacked wii so I could try and help. Explanation on how to use Frame Advance would be necessary however.

Sharky

Smash Master
Okaaay Listen up ladies Scatz is gonna be heading up Test Chamber 4. But instead of just picking people up at random for this one we're kinda gonna need volunteers. It's huge and i looked over it. From what I saw it could possibly be a changing factor to our metagame, but i'll make sure to keep your workload easy enough. I wouldn't want my lab rats dying on me. The real beauty is we have half of it done, but our boy Scatzgod i not one to half *** a project so its not being released until the entire thing is finished.

NOW THIS PART IS IMPORTANT SO IF YOU TL:DR'd ANYTHING (first of all go read it) MAKE SURE YOU READ THIS

We need to use Frame Advance to test this.

For you guys without hacks well its cool. We still have chamber 3 <3. FOR THOSE OF YOU WITH HACKS, I don't wanna hear "I don't know how to use it" because that excuse is bull. We'll show you how. If you want to help and you have hacks you're helping, so none of this "I would if I knew how bull****" You guys like to sprout so much.

Recap. Big has a huge project that should have been finished last year. We need volunteers who have a hacked wii. You'll need frame advance. Don't care if you know how, we'll explain it all to you.

Happy Testing ^^
I have a hacked wii

Scatz

Smash Champion
Alright then. You four will get a PM later today covering all the specifics that I need done. If you guys finish the rest of this project, then I'll release it with full information of how it works (pictures too).

Scatz

Smash Champion
I'll reupload the GCT file and will send it via PM since Celes is MIA.

Nul

Smash Apprentice
Just as a quick mention, what I found from MK research on the DJArmor break percentages, the general rule of thumb was multiply 1.6 to a %, and that's his fatigued break percentage for the move. Its likely to be more, but 1.6 is fairly safe, as some moves were 1.7 and others were 2.2 instead.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Who are you?

Nah jk. Long time no see! What's been up? You've picked a funny time to come back to the boards.

Nul

Smash Apprentice
I know, I fell off the earth only to land on it again. Too much has happened.

Basically life got more restricting, I had to sort stuff out. Now that I'm on track, sort of (I'm in Biloxi, MI, and I don't entirely get why), I want to get back into Smash.

Umm, yea... Too much happened.

Scatz

Smash Champion
You haven't missed too much since you left...Well, much in terms of improving Yoshi, but quite a bit of random stuff went down on these boards. Other than that, it's pretty quiet. Oh yeah, and people are pretty lazy testing wise (save for a few). So a lot of work hasn't been done.

Members for test chamber 4, I've just sent your instructions. Let's see if this actually finishes. lol

hadesblade

Smash Lord
Not sure if you guys already figured this out but mk falls through the middle of the sv platform and lands on the sides of the platform during the cg.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Because, what if thats not really how it works and just how it looks at first glance, it might be better to know EXACTLY how it works.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Dont half *** this ****, I WANT NUMBERS, I WANT FIGURES, I WANT THE GOD DAMNED RAW DATA!

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Real talk im one who wants to know how everything works but honestly, in this case it really doesn't matter. Its one of those dead end things. You figure out why and its cool and all but it leads to nothing lol

Scatz

Smash Champion
Dont half *** this ****, I WANT NUMBERS, I WANT FIGURES, I WANT THE GOD DAMNED RAW DATA!
You should be doing the work I instructed you >.> The quicker you guys finish that, the better off since I'll be able to release the information.

Top Bottom