• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Anything Can Change! - The Chrom Social Thread (Now with a Proper Victory Theme!)

What should we call Chrom's infamous zero-to-death Soaring Slash suicide string?

• Total voters

Lanny

Smash Cadet
Yo. Anyone know what Chrom can get from tipper jab/d-tilt and what ranges the stuff work at?
If you hit at max range I don't think there are any guaranteed followups. I always dash in after them and try to react and/or read. Dash up d-tilt can cover a missed tech, another jab or f-tilt can hit tech in place, ftilt can catch a jump sometimes, and dash attack or sliding ftilt if they tech away.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh yeah, I never made a follow-up to my response to that post.

Neither of the ones I tried worked lol.

Lanny

Smash Cadet
Folks probably already know this, but I recently realized when you go for downthrow -> upair at low percents if you immediately grey stick up and hold X+A you'll buffer a short hop up air which is true and requires zero timing. Once you start needing to full hop you need to input the upair and jump separately (as far as I know).

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but I am struggling with something and was wondering if anyone had advice.

Chrom’s Jab to Bair.

After the Jab, I either appear to Bair too late, or I for some reason get a reverse Nair?

Jab to Bair seems kinda good and important for safe stock taking, similar to Marth Jab to stuff in Smash 4, so I want to know how to do it reliably.

Thanks in advance!

Lanny

Smash Cadet
Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but I am struggling with something and was wondering if anyone had advice.

Chrom’s Jab to Bair.

After the Jab, I either appear to Bair too late, or I for some reason get a reverse Nair?

Jab to Bair seems kinda good and important for safe stock taking, similar to Marth Jab to stuff in Smash 4, so I want to know how to do it reliably.

Thanks in advance!
What inputs are you using? If you c-stick too soon you might attack cancel to get the reverse nair.

Jab to RAR bair connects on the training dummy for me but I don't think it's nearly quick enough to be a true combo.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I got the game early this month (in time for free Piranha Plant!) and, as someone far from a competitive player that only fights the CPU, I'm having lots of fun playing with Chrom, easilly up there with Link and Ike as one of my best characters. I even started to like playing with Roy after getting used with Chrom.

It's said that we can't do the Chrombo/Chromcide/Chromikaze anymore after the 2.0 patch, yet I managed to beat a spirit using Soaring Slash outside of the stage - I don't remember what battle exactly, but it was on the raceway part of World of Light. Any thoughts on that?

Arthur97

Smash Master
I got the game early this month (in time for free Piranha Plant!) and, as someone far from a competitive player that only fights the CPU, I'm having lots of fun playing with Chrom, easilly up there with Link and Ike as one of my best characters. I even started to like playing with Roy after getting used with Chrom.

It's said that we can't do the Chrombo/Chromcide/Chromikaze anymore after the 2.0 patch, yet I managed to beat a spirit using Soaring Slash outside of the stage - I don't remember what battle exactly, but it was on the raceway part of World of Light. Any thoughts on that?
From what I've read, it still works in certain situations such as when recovering or maybe even at higher percents. Could be wrong though.

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
I could be wrong, but it seems that if you hit an opponent with only the downward swing (without catching them in the startup and somersault) it still spikes and they die first. It's just the somersault part launches them out of range of the downward bit, I think, so it's harder to pull it off where your enemy dies first.
And if you position it just right, it can also spike (not technically a meteor hit with the flashy effect, but enemy'll still die) close to the ledge, and you have the added bonus of not dying as well if you manage to grab the ledge.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I could be wrong, but it seems that if you hit an opponent with only the downward swing (without catching them in the startup and somersault) it still spikes and they die first. It's just the somersault part launches them out of range of the downward bit, I think, so it's harder to pull it off where your enemy dies first.
And if you position it just right, it can also spike (not technically a meteor hit with the flashy effect, but enemy'll still die) close to the ledge, and you have the added bonus of not dying as well if you manage to grab the ledge.
I don't think the upward swing was altered.

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
I don't think the upward swing was altered.
Not the upward swing, but it looks to me like since the update, the enemy now gets hit out of the spinny part so as to avoid the meteor effect, but the downward part still spikes normally.
Based on my experience, here's how the whole move goes:
1) First hit sends them into the air
2) Somersault bit
3) Opponent gets knocked downwards out of somersault after Chrom already starts his descent, so that Chrom dies first. Not technically a spike.
4) If Chrom's descent hits an opponent, move actually spikes and opponent will die first.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Not the upward swing, but it looks to me like since the update, the enemy now gets hit out of the spinny part so as to avoid the meteor effect, but the downward part still spikes normally.
2) Somersault bit
3) Opponent gets knocked downwards out of somersault after Chrom already starts his descent, so that Chrom dies first. Not technically a spike.
4) If Chrom's descent hits an opponent, move actually spikes and opponent will die first.
Nothing but the meteor should have been touched if the patch notes are accurate. Also, bear in mind Aether seems to have been changed in the same way so it probably was just the strength of the meteor. Placebos can be strong though.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
2) Somersault bit
This, from my experience, has been accurate.

Lanny

Smash Cadet
Nothing but the meteor should have been touched if the patch notes are accurate. Also, bear in mind Aether seems to have been changed in the same way so it probably was just the strength of the meteor. Placebos can be strong though.
It's unclear if the patch notes are imperfectly translated, or Nintendo just has some internal vocabulary not shared with the rest of the community, or if they're just lying, but some of the notes don't seem 100% accurate. I'm really glad they released them this time and they're pretty good, but I don't think we can take them as totally true as evidenced by people still being able to chrombo

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
What inputs are you using? If you c-stick too soon you might attack cancel to get the reverse nair.

Jab to RAR bair connects on the training dummy for me but I don't think it's nearly quick enough to be a true combo.
I’m not using my C Stick to Bair. Is it possible to RAR during the initial dash animation? That’s part of the thing that seems to be messing me up I think.

Lanny

Smash Cadet
I’m not using my C Stick to Bair. Is it possible to RAR during the initial dash animation? That’s part of the thing that seems to be messing me up I think.
Kind of surprisingly it is possible, but the timing is tighter. I don't know why it works since if you do the RAR inputs except the jump you won't slide and will complete the initial dash, it's not like you're jumping out of your slide animation like when you do a RAR from running state and you have significantly less time to input your jump. But yeah, it's doable with practice for sure, I just don't think you can get out of jab's endlag into a dash fast enough to hit them with the RAR unless your opponent misses their tech.

As for the reverse nair, I'm not sure. I guess if you hit A right as your control stick is in neutral as you're pushing it back in the direction of your initial dash that could do it but I've never had this happen to me and it seems kinda unlikely.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Wait, did only Chrom get the dash grab buff or were the patch notes I saw incomplete?

Edit: Nevermind, they were. Also, Blazer got a buff. Do they just hate Chrom?

Last edited:

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
Wait, did only Chrom get the dash grab buff or were the patch notes I saw incomplete?

Edit: Nevermind, they were. Also, Blazer got a buff. Do they just hate Chrom?
Blazer says it was made "easier to hit multiple times." I had noticed while playing as Roy that opponents tended to escape it before it was over, but I've never had a problem with landing every hit of Soaring Slash.

Last edited:

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
They finally fixed Chrom's victory theme!

https://streamable.com/l1qts

(For reference it used to just play the generic FE victory theme)
Oh oh oh, since it was never brought up...
Back at launch, all the Marths had really janky animations on their back-airs. Chrom and Roy especially: their arms didn't pivot anywhere but the wrist on the back-swing, so it looked like their forearms were made out of brown paper bags being twisted 360 degrees. It only stuck around for a few frames, but it still looked absolutely terrible.
Then, to my surprise, the 2.0 update actually fixed the animation, so their arms aren't horrendously contorted anymore! On top of Chrom's victory theme being fixed, it makes me really happy that they're taking the time to polish up all these little aesthetic details that got glossed over at first. They're really trying to make this game the best it can possibly be. You didn't see the updates fixing this minor kind of stuff back in Sm4sh.

(now they just gotta fix how janky Chrom's cape is and he's good to go)

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
*sees firsthand that Chrom now has the Awakening victory theme*

All is right in the world.
All they need to do now is stop him (and Roy) from going back to Marth's stance after every move.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Blazer says it was made "easier to hit multiple times." I had noticed while playing as Roy that opponents tended to escape it before it was over, but I've never had a problem with landing every hit of Soaring Slash.
It's already the better recovery and people seem convinced Roy is better. This just furthers the gap.
Oh oh oh, since it was never brought up...
Back at launch, all the Marths had really janky animations on their back-airs. Chrom and Roy especially: their arms didn't pivot anywhere but the wrist on the back-swing, so it looked like their forearms were made out of brown paper bags being twisted 360 degrees. It only stuck around for a few frames, but it still looked absolutely terrible.
Then, to my surprise, the 2.0 update actually fixed the animation, so their arms aren't horrendously contorted anymore! On top of Chrom's victory theme being fixed, it makes me really happy that they're taking the time to polish up all these little aesthetic details that got glossed over at first. They're really trying to make this game the best it can possibly be. You didn't see the updates fixing this minor kind of stuff back in Sm4sh.

(now they just gotta fix how janky Chrom's cape is and he's good to go)
But Chrom jank cape is kind of tradition after Warriors.

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
It's already the better recovery and people seem convinced Roy is better. This just furthers the gap.

But Chrom jank cape is kind of tradition after Warriors.
Mmm. I haven't played Warriors, but yeah, they kind of walked into bad physics when they made the cape wrap around his arm like that. Worked in low-poly Awakening... not so much in glorious HD

Arthur97

Smash Master
Mmm. I haven't played Warriors, but yeah, they kind of walked into bad physics when they made the cape wrap around his arm like that. Worked in low-poly Awakening... not so much in glorious HD
Sometimes when it did the cut in on his face, the cape would be over his face. Kind of funny actually. Doesn't happen with any other capes I think. Well, Lucina's is kind of short when promoted and Marth apparently likes starch.

TobyJack123

Smash Rookie
What exactly would happen if we made it so that Chrom and Lucina were a dual character like Ice Climbers? I feel that it would be an interesting concept that would better represent their source material, give them new specials, and make them more unique.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What exactly would happen if we made it so that Chrom and Lucina were a dual character like Ice Climbers? I feel that it would be an interesting concept that would better represent their source material, give them new specials, and make them more unique.
Ehhhhh to be honest, I kind of prefer them separate.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Is this place dead?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey Chrom mains. The Nintendo Game of the week thread is talking about Fire Emblem Awakening. Since its his debut game, I thought you guys might be interested in joining us.
Here's the link.

Top Bottom